What Should we do with Greg Robinson-POLL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What Should the Rams do with Greg Robinson This Offseason

• Cut Greg Robinson

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keep Greg Robinson at LT

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Keep Greg Robinson and move him to Guard

Votes: 84 54.9%
  • Trade Greg Robinson for anything you can get

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Demote to Practice Squad

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
I voted to keep GRob at OLT. I want the new HC and his staff to fully evaluate him before making any moves. I am hoping with a new and improved system and coaching this guy can be redeemed.

Also, when the new HC gets our offense going and I am looking forward to having a bunch of leads early in our games. This will immediately make our line better as we will be able to run and pass at our discretion and not have the score dictate our play calling.

BTW has anyone heard what GRob's PFF score was for the Seattle game? I had read that in his last two games prior he had the highest score among our OL.

Go Rams!

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Dude's under contract. We'll have a new staff that will try to get his head screwed on straight. It's not a question: we keep him next year.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
At this point I'm willing to give every single offensive player the chance to at least be fairly evaluated by the new HC. The offense has been so bad that it seems unfair to judge anyone by these last couple of seasons.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
We can't cut him. It would cost us money. His entire contract is guaranteed. There's no benefit to cutting him. There's no benefit to trading him (unless someone offers something substantial). Thus, our three options are:
1. Start him at LT
2. Start him at OG
3. Make him a backup

I'll let the new coaching staff decide which is the best option.

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Can Saffold ever play LT again at a high level for a full season? If so I'd be ok with moving him to guard. Other than that, I'm sorry to say it but he's probably our best option at tackle. For all he's been labelled a 'bust' - he's not a complete washout. He's just not as good as we hoped he was going to be. There are worse guys starting in this league.

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Can we return him? Did we keep the receipt? I'd like that 2nd overall pick back please.

PA Ram

Pro Bowler
I hope he can move inside because I am not optimistic that he will become a solid LT--especially with the team changing to a new offense. He seemed to struggle for so long learning the last one, and though he has improved, I'm not certain that he won't regress as the offense changes. Don't get me wrong--if a new coach can make the difference--I'm all for it. I would LOVE for him to succeed. Clearly the Rams are in no position to draft a franchise LT this draft. So it's either coach Robinson up or move someone else out there. Although Saffold could do a reasonable job--he seems to get hurt too much. There is no great answer here. They may have no choice but to stick with Robinson--or find a substitute in free agency. That's not easy.

I would like them to find some place he can play and if that means him moving inside--so be it. But I agree with others that the new coaches will have to evaluate these things with fresh eyes. If they think he can't cut it at LT he won't be there.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
This in not on the poll, but coach him up and put him in the best position to succeed. I was never a GRob fan but he is good enough to man one of the five spots on the line.

If you ask me he has the physical skills to succeed and play well even at LT. The issue I see with him and most of the line is communication. More often than not the issue with this line are not players getting beat 1 on 1 but situations where a player needs to help, pick up a stunt. The amount of mis assignments is staggering. As the Rams have fallen out of contention, the more I have watched the line. I have been amazed at the amount of times a play breaks down because of a lineman not blocking the right person or not picking up a simple loop stunt.

Its a small window but the last 3 games I have seen a some big issues with Saffold and Robinson. Those 2 rarely get beat one on one, the issue I see on the left side are defenders coming unimpeded and it is usually because one of them missed an assignment. I see them talking and see Goff pointing there way yet the play still breaks down.

If I am the next coach I do film study with Robinson and find out what is going on in the brain. Make sure he knows how to read the line calls and if he doesnt, they need to work with him to get him better at it, because he has the physical tools to get it done.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Moving him inside might be the only way to salvage anything from that pick. I also think the new coach should purge all the dead weight and remove the parties responsible for this mess. But if he did that there wouldn't be anything left of the offense. Since its too expensive to cut him and he wouldn't get us much in trade value, I think they're stuck with him for one more year. I held out hope this would be the year and he wouldn't be a bust.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Coach him in the off season with a viable OLine coach and have him work with Bentley again. All the while draft his eventual replacement. People wanting to cut him aren't being realistic as his salary for next year is guaranteed.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I like what OldSchool suggests....but I'm moving him to RT. Havenstein to the bench or traded....

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I'd move him to RT or guard. Havenstein hasn't played nearly as well as he did in 2015 (is he hurt?), and while Brown, Wichmann and Donnel are all still ?'s, Robinson is a ? with much more physical ability.

That said, I voted to trade him, because I doubt a new HC is going to want to hitch his wagon to Robinson unless he thinks he can make a real LT out of him.

Best case scenario: he becomes Robert Gallery.
Realistic (IMO) scenario: he becomes a 4th-round pick or a throw-in for talent acquisition a la Jonathan Cooper.

jetplt67

Oh, I have slipped the surly bonds of earth...
I voted to keep GRob at OLT. I want the new HC and his staff to fully evaluate him before making any moves. I am hoping with a new and improved system and coaching this guy can be redeemed.

Also, when the new HC gets our offense going and I am looking forward to having a bunch of leads early in our games. This will immediately make our line better as we will be able to run and pass at our discretion and not have the score dictate our play calling.

BTW has anyone heard what GRob's PFF score was for the Seattle game? I had read that in his last two games prior he had the highest score among our OL.

Go Rams!
You're probably right. He essentially hasn't had an Oline coach since he's been here. See what someone else can do with him.
Though listening to his interviews, I'm not sure he has the IQ necessary for LT.

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
You're probably right. He essentially hasn't had an Oline coach since he's been here. See what someone else can do with him.
Though listening to his interviews, I'm not sure he has the IQ necessary for LT.
How so? Paul Boudreau was, at one point, one of the most highly-respected OL coaches in the league.

FRO

Legend
Robinson and Quick are the poster boys on why drafting someone based off workouts and potential is foolish. Athletically both look like monsters, but football much more than athleticism. You have to have good technique, awareness, and smarts. Also in college Robinson played in a run heavy gimmicky offense. It's hard to properly evaluate a player that plays in schemes like that. If the Rams want to succeed they need to prioritize drafting football players over athletes.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame
GRob is still young. Will be 24 when the season starts next year. I say we keep him and see if he can continue to develop. Him going to Bentley's O-line school tells me he's putting in the work to be successful.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Its been written about, posted numerous times over the last 3 seasons, and gone over time and time again. The CBA, college spread, etc. Did any of you blasting GRob read them? Look at the whole NFL. O lines everywhere suck. OL players coming out of college have to make the biggest leap of all position players to transition to the NFL. They litterally know nothing about playing OL in the NFL. Coaches can't talk to them in the offseason, limited time on the practice field, playbooks ten times bigger than the ones in college. It takes time and multiple seasons to get NFL ready.

GRob has steadily improved since he was drafted. Last year in the last 5 or 6 games when he had veteran Garrett Reynolds next to him at LG he played his best as a Ram. No false starts, no holding, no sacks given up. That proves he CAN play LT at a decent level in the NFL.

I can only come to the conclusion that the Rams sorry OL play this season comes down to coaching. RT Havenstien was rushed back into the lineup and has been playing hurt all season. Why they kept trotting him out there instead of replacing him with Saffold and putting Brown at LG is hard to understand. The OL of GRob, Brown, Barnes, Wichmann and Saffold started almost all of the 4 games in preseason, with Donnal as the swingman, and not once did that lineup play in the regular season. Why not?

My point is we have only had a glimpse, (last 5 games of last year), of what GRob can do. He CAN and HAS played at a respectable level at LT.

My fear is the Rams will let him walk via FA after his contract is up and signs with another team where he plays at a high level for 15 years and makes the probowl multiple times. Then you "GRob busters". will cry "Rams didn't give him enough time to develop".

Its obvious Rams can't do anything until they hire a new HC, he brings in his new staff and evaluates the whole team. Rams OL needs another Vet and they should probably use a draft pick on one.