What Should we do with Greg Robinson-POLL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

What Should the Rams do with Greg Robinson This Offseason

• Cut Greg Robinson

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • Keep Greg Robinson at LT

Votes: 40 26.1%
  • Keep Greg Robinson and move him to Guard

Votes: 84 54.9%
  • Trade Greg Robinson for anything you can get

Votes: 23 15.0%
  • Demote to Practice Squad

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Boudreau scouts and conditioning coach's take 95 percent of the blame for our offensive line as a hole. . It hasn't mattered much who we have had or which position along the line they play. They either take stupid peneltys, get blown up, injured, or just seem to have 0 clue more often then not. . That's coaching and conditioning I lay this mess of an oline on.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon

Not a complete disaster but a LT that has certainly failed to perform closely to his projected drafted status. Then throw in the amount of investments of asset invested in this one player. If GRob was of the vintage of say Pace Murphy then we may have a different feel about GRob but that's not the case. Much was invested & very little of that investment has proven to be beneficial to helping this team win.

I would agree with you fully on your first paragraph conclusions & this is one of the reasons I do not favor Grob moving inside ...he still will be found guilty of those ongoing red flags. I would agree with you fully also that his trade value is close to that of main street sidewalk used chewing gum on a hot day.

I would also agree with your premise that he will be with us in 2017 as some capacity with the two OT posts. As I posted yesterday keeping him in the OT mix just makes the best sense to me for 2017. We all know that GRob is seriously well endowed :lifting:physically to play OT in the NFL:bow:. He has the ability to physically handle any defender if he could get his brain to move all those great body parts in the right directions at the right time for the right reason....:(fact is he can't.

My plan is to remove him from the starting LT post that requires the more sound smarter technical player & place him in a post (RT) or a position (Swing OT) that will not place such high demands of his brain power so fast & hard. What's so wrong with GRob contending & fighting :boxing:it out for the position as our Swing third reserve OT in 2017?:thinking:

GRob would not be handled a starting position as he has the last two seasons @ LT & will be asked to continue to work @ LT & then with a new little wrinkle try to learn how to play an OT post on the right side. GRob has always played OT with the exception of some work @ LG his rookie season. It will be his 4th seasons as a pro he should not have too much to learn on being a right OT. Will will see if he can learn this or if he is willing to learn it & not throw his :rant:sucker in the dirt.

Retraining GRob to be a interior OG for RG & LG at this point on the last year on his contract just seems to be too much for him to get down :headexplosion:IMO. Playing & learning to be an interior OG is not any easier than learning to be a OLT & he will be entering his 4th season in the NFL & has not got it down yet so why would he get the RG or LG post down in less than a few months:dizzy:???. I really do not want GRob to be required to have to learn so much new stuff & expect a good outcome in 2017 OL.

I could not vote on the original list because I would vote to keep GRob as the Rams Swing OT reserve for both OT posts in 2017. If he is the best candidate of all the 2017 LT prospects then he would start, same if he is the best prospect @ RT then he would start if he fails on those two assignments then GRob would be our top prospect to be our Swing OT prospect. If he fails on this third fall back assignment position GRob should be released because he has failed to officially win & compete hard enough. This this fair enough to appease all our members who are GRob fans? Am I being to harsh & demanding on GRob?

Good we agree then .....when he fails Grob then will join the rest of the side walk used chewing gum in late summer:heh:.

Last edited:

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I have to say, whoever made up that ole saying, really didn't know what they were talking about. There are definitely a couple of members of the OL who are soldiering through some significant injuries that have either put others on IR or out for several weeks and it is impacting their play, although you won't hear or read about it in the media or hear excuses from them. I've seen a lot of bashing of the OL, some rightfully deserved, some not so much. Everyone should remember there are always many more things going on behind the scenes than is ever reported in the media or by the coaches.
Oh yeah? I'd bet if you quiz every player in the league, they are hurt somewhere on their body...I'll just leave it at that....
I'm assuming you're saying big Rob Havenstein is injured, but is playing through it...if so, it's wrong. Dude could hardly move vs Atlanta. He got Todd Gurley blown up vs. Seattle...

I'm not here to bash anyone...just here to make suggestions on what to do with Greg Robinson. My idea, move him to RT, let he and Havenstein battle for the position in 2017...Find another LT...It's too valuable of a position.

Psycho_X

Legend
Well I'm sticking with trying him out at guard which is kind of what I wanted to try this season but we ended up without many options since Battle seems to suck, Donnal is iffy at LT, and Saffold's arms turn to jello when he moves outside.

Overall, he is not playing well at LT. He is rated 72 out of 79 tackles by PFF which isn't an end all, be all rating.... but it's a bad enough rating to have some credence to it. We have one more year with him where we basically pay him no matter what and it isn't that expensive so might as well see what we can get out of him. It'll of course matter what the new coach thinks of him in his system. But at this point I see no harm in trying him at guard.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
I would agree with you fully on your first paragraph conclusions & this is one of the reasons I do not favor Grob moving inside ...he still will be found guilty of those ongoing red flags.

Yeah, he'll continue to make bonehead penalties like late hits and blocks from behind when the man he hits from behind isn't even close to being an important part of the play. That's an IQ thing. But consider this: What if at guard he has less holding penalties because of the different blocking angle at guard? And, for our running game, what if he proves to be the feisty road grader he was supposed to be? (and greatly improves Gurley lanes)

Worth moving him inside if both of those things happen?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

What are your choices ?? Really ??

-- He just needs to be coached up !!

---He is so young for a starting LT coming out, plus he is not very bright.

I think at this point it might it might workout even better contract wise. He should be in The NFL for years to come.

1.) One thing that scares me is the way he rubs his face during interviews. To think how nutty his partner Tre Mason went.

Last edited:

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Lets see what he does with some new coaches.

This. Before we start thinking of moving on from all these guys they invested so much in maybe we should see if a new regime and get more out of them. I'm not expecting the next coming of the GSOT but mediocre isn't too much to ask. Is it?

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
You are my favorite "go to" guy regarding OL matters, Bonifay. Let me riddle you this... Why in the world would all 5 OL starters simultaneously take a step backward in '16? This dilemma is far more than just about GRob. I don't see any way that it's not at least significantly related to coaching. Therefore, new coaching might enable the Rams to dramatically improve their OL play. GRob could be starter at LOT or riding the pine in '17 or somewhere in between.
Here's a review of what I know.....in an attempt to answer your riddle.:santa:I do think its much bigger than GRob.

OG Jamon Brown -Boudreau started JB @ RG in all 4 pre season games. JB did not have a good pre season fact is it was bad. JB appeared not to be fully recovered from the surgery & broken leg from November of 2015. JB & Cody Wichmann rotated in wk#1 & RG . JB was demoted to swing OG position for Wk#2. When Cody was injured JB regained starting RG wk#5 & wk#6. At some point during wk#7 JB broke his hand. JB had surgery to repair a metacarpal fracture in his right hand & was inactive for a month. JB next starting action came @ LG wk#12 & wk#13 for starting LG Saffold. JB is a reserve OG. Has JB's performance regressed? was JB slow to recover from the broken leg his rookie season? Has the coaches decision to flip flop playing side & positions... caused his poor play that lost his starting post? Did the broken hand injury & surgery cause him issues? Its a questionable hard response to say here that JB regressed after his one rookie season where he only finished 8 games as a NFL starter...is it due to coaching.

OG Rodger Saffold started the 2016 season coming off two reconstructive shoulder surgeries & rehabbing events. RS took over the RT starting post very early in OTA's & continued to start @ RT in TC & all of pre season. Opening game Boudreau flipped RS from RT to LG. Saffold looked very light on his feet & played very well in pre season @ RT. RS has not looked as good @ LG as he had @ RT earlier this season. Saffold started wk 12 @ LT for GRob and looked good in the first two series without any mistakes or blocking issues. But RS broke his hand in the 1st quarter & had surgery on 12/1/16. Missed one full game & 3/4 of another. RS return to start @ LG since that event. Hard to judge if RS has regressed this season due to the fact that RS was IR'd for the last two previous seasons while playing OG. So what are we basing this regression on...I thought he looked good @ RT with no regression IMO. Maybe the real fact is Saffold is really much more NFL OT than OG. Tell me how many good full NFL seasons RS has had @ OG???? NONE would be the correct answer. so what is our bases here to judge this regression on. IMO Saffold is a good NFL OT...not so good NFL OG.

OC Tim Barnes injured his foot on 11/2016 & has been battling through pain ever since & surgery is not out of the question when the season ends. This is TB's 2nd season as starting center. Once again TB has played & started & made line calls with four different starting OG playing next to him. He also has 2 starting OT's who's performance is far below average. Has TB regressed due to coaching or is it because of an ongoing nagging serious injury?

RT Rob Havenstein- We were informed very little about this supposed foot injury of RH when OTA's was on going. We learned he was PUP'd early with a foot injury of some type. We did not see any of RH in TC or most of pre season. But it was uncovered by one reporter & finally confirmed that big Rob broke his big toe very early in OTA's . This of course is a way bigger deal than a "foot issue" as reported by Fisher. RH was the best Ram OL'er in 2015 season where he did not allow a sack & opened gapping holes for Gurley. Playing all season on a broken toe might cause some little issues in RH play you think. So yes RH has regressed significantly but was it due to coaching? or injury?

OG Cody Wichmann- Started 7 games @ RG in 2015 after spending all of TC & preseason dealing with a two different calf injuries. Boudreau played CW exclusively @ LG in place of Rodger Saffold who was starting @ RT for all of TC & pre season for Havenstein. On the opening season game Boudreau flipped CW back to RG & rotated CW & Jamon Brown at this position. Wk#2 CW started @ RG & played well in the Seattle game which we won. CW continued to start @ RG with the Ram winning the 3 games he was healthy # starting. Wk#5 10/9/16 CW suffered a ankle injury then missed the following week of practice & was not active for the Lions game. CW has not played well since. Fact is after his poor play against the New England wk#13 he was sat down & Andrew Donnal the swing OT was inserted into CW starting post. CW was active wk#14 but was inactive for wk #15. Due to the situation with CW....Reserve RG David Arkin was brought up from the PS in place of CW.

OG/OT Andrew Donnal may have started earlier @ RG in place of CW but the Rams sat down GRob wk#12 & Donnal was the 3rd swing OT behind starters @ OT Saffold & Havenstein. Donnal due to a broken hand by Saffold in the 1st quarter played most of the game @ OLT it may have been the vest mistake free play seen @ OLT all season. Donnal was also battling through a thigh injury that occurred against the Pats. Sure appears that AD 2016 performance has improved not regressed.

Greg Robinson - Not more needs to be said here..Grob played his best NFL football during the later half of last season. It would not be wrong to state that GRob's performance late in 2015 was tied up with the placement of Garrett Reynolds as starter @ LG. Garrett was injury released when the 2016 season began & with that GRob's performance went south...yes GRob has regressed but is it due to GRob or coaching?