What QB Does Davis Remind You of?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
As Far as the way he play's the game, I go with Kenny 'The Snake' Stabler / Raiders!

moklerman

Warner-phile
Yeah he threw the ball SO hard it took a guy paid to catch the ball and then it wasn't easy, but for that he'd have had twice as many ints.
Jeff George had the strongest arm I think i ever saw ,although they say Gabriel literally knocked people down in practice but I was young enough then I didn't know what I was seeing
Easy enough to produce a list of guys that prove arm strength doesn't mean much. Favre was much more than arm strength and despite all the negative things he did to develop a stigma to his name, Favre was one helluva QB for a long time.

Davis isn't like Favre for many reasons but neither was Joe Montana. Davis can be who he is and still have success. He just won't get it done the way Favre did.

CodeMonkey

Possibly the OH but cannot self-identify
Because he beat all those college Records of Favre's!? (Note; Spelling)
Right. He's similar in his gutsy/scrappy play but that's why I said he is better. He came in to Southern Miss as a walk on 6th string QB and went on to top the great one's records. And I know I spelled it wrong, just poking fun.

----

College career[edit]
Davis was a walk-on to the University of Southern Mississippi football program and redshirted the 2007 season.[1][2] For 2008, Davis was named the starting quarterback by head coach Larry Fedora and became the first freshman to be named the starting quarterback at Southern Miss since 1991.[3] Davis began the season with five 200-yard passing games, more than any other Southern Miss quarterback has put together, and nine altogether for the season, tying a school record for most in a season.[1] For the year, Davis set a new school record with 3,128 passing yards and broke Brett Favre's school record for most touchdown passes by a freshman with 23.[4] He ended the year with a combined total of 15 school records for both game and single-season marks,[5] which included most passing yards in a game (461) and most rushing touchdowns in a contest (5) as well as total offense for a season (3,323).[3] Davis was ranked 16th nationally in total offense (279.7) and 52nd in passing efficiency (128.6) in the Football Bowl Subdivision (FBS). His total offense average was the highest among freshmen quarterbacks in the country, ahead of the likes of Kellen Moore of Boise State (265.9) and Robert Griffin of Baylor (244.5). In the 2008 New Orleans Bowl, Davis threw for 276 yards and two touchdowns and became the first freshman quarterback to lead the Golden Eagles to a bowl game victory.[1] Davis was named to the All-Conference USA freshman team and a freshman All-American honorable mention by CollegeFootballNews.com.[6][7] Before the 2009 season, Davis was named on the Manning Award watch list.[5]

Davis got off to another great start in the [8] by completing 108-156 passes (69%) for 1,165 yards and 10 touchdowns against just 2 interceptions. He gained some national notoriety following a 35-28 loss to nationally ranked Kansas, in which Davis matched All-American candidate Todd Reesing yard for yard.[9] However, his promising start was cut short by a broken foot suffered in the fifth game of the season against UAB.[10]

Davis returned in 2010 and put up another good season,[11] throwing for 3,103 yards with 20 touchdowns against just 6 interceptions while running for another 452 yards and 10 touchdowns. On November 30, Southern Miss went on the road to face the eventual C-USA and Liberty Bowl champion Central Florida and their highly rated defense. Davis responded by completing 21-34 passes for 264 yard and 4 scores, leading the Golden Eagles to a road upset over the ranked Knights.[12] He delivered an encore the next week in an emotional game against the Houston Cougars. Following the shooting of three teammates, Davis responded with the best game of his career, completing 24 of 31 passes for 293 yards and 2 scores while running for 111 yards and 4 more scores as Southern Miss topped Houston 59-41.[13] In the Papajohns.com Bowl against Louisville, Davis passed Brett Favre on the schools passing touchdown record with a 32-yard pass to Quentin Pierce in the first quarter. Davis would go on to throw another touchdown as well as catch one in the 31-28 loss.[14]

Heading into his senior season, Davis had either broken or was on the verge of breaking nearly every passing record in Southern Miss history. He passed Favre's yardage record in the second game of the season[15] at Marshall. Davis had arguably his best [16] on October 8, at Navy. He completed 21 of his 23 passes for 283 yards and 3 scores as well as running for 75 yards and another score, posting a QB rating of 237.7. Davis led the Golden Eagles to a C-USA Eastern Division championship and a spot in the conference championship game against undefeated and 6th ranked Houston and their record setting QB Case Keenum. Despite being a 15 point underdog and being overshadowed by Keenum prior to the game, Davis outplayed Keenum, connecting on 17 of 34 passes for 276 yards and 4 touchdowns as he led Southern Miss to one of the.[17] Davis finished his career with a 24-17 victory in the Hawaii bowl over Nevada.[18] Davis' last pass as a collegiate QB was a touchdown in the final minutes to secure the win. Davis ended the 2011 season throwing for 3,496 yards and 30 touchdowns, both school records, while also rushing for 352 yards and four touchdowns.[19] At the conclusion of his senior season he was named the winner of the Conerly Trophy, an award given annually to the best college football player in the state of Mississippi by the Mississippi Sports Hall of Fame.

His final stats were: 933-1527 (61.1%) for 10,898 yards, 83 touchdowns against just 27 interceptions. He also ran the ball 460 times for 1,375 yards and 25 touchdowns. He also caught 2 passes for 25 yards and a touchdown. Davis accounted for 109 touchdowns in his four-year career.[20]
-----

Irish

Starter
He reminds me a soft tossing Joe Flacco without the deep ball. He has complete confidence in his decisions, but lacks the physical tools of a Flacco to routinely break deep coverage with his pass.

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
He reminds me of this guy. Hopefully we don't run him off to Canada after he leads us to the Super Bowl this year. :sneaky:

aakz161.jpg

Athos

Legend
Brett Favre had a rifle for an arm. One of the strongest arms I've ever seen. Davis isn't Favre.

I take the association as being, like Favre, Davis has a gunslinger mentality and a desire to take some shots downfield and really press defenses.

Seems to get the ball out quick like Brees. Not a super long motion. Seems pretty quick.

Maybe some Rodgers mobility. He did run for over 1300 yards in college with 25 TDs.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Yeah he threw the ball SO hard it took a guy paid to catch the ball and then it wasn't easy, but for that he'd have had twice as many ints.
Jeff George had the strongest arm I think i ever saw ,although they say Gabriel literally knocked people down in practice but I was young enough then I didn't know what I was seeing

I was living in Indy when the Colts drafted Jeff George, he was a local kid so it was a big deal and was covered by the media big time. One of the stories was that in HS he could throw a ball 70 yards. I believe it too, like you I don't think I've seen a QB with the arm strength he had.

But man he was awful LOL.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He reminds me of a former Green Bay QB, but not the one previously mentioned. I see Don Majkowski out there with Davis.
As for the Favre stuff, I think its ridculous that the media uses the "Broke all of Brett Favre's records at Southern Miss"
Favre didnt have all the records, in fact the only one I saw he had was career passing yards. All the single season records were held by others.
I think the feather in Davis cap is that the team won 34 games in 4 seasons with him as QB and won only 1 game in seasons after he left....

Rams0307

I don't see the Drew Brees comparisons...

I see him as a Russell Wilson-lite. Both can scramble when need be, but Wilson has a decent arm while Davis has a weak arm.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He kinda reminds me of Romo. I will be prepared for the onslaught of bashing lol.

No, it's not a bad comparison at all. I could see Romo or Ryan Fitzpatrick as possible comparisons...although we'll have to see how he does when teams have film on him before making a lofty comparison like Romo.

fearsomefour

Legend
His slow and terrible arm action reminds me of Byron Leftwich....that is not a good thing.
Moves well, a little underskilled, smart, gutsy....reminds me a little of Jeff Garcia in those regards....that is a good thing.

fearsomefour

Legend
Was actually going to say Shaun Hill but thought I might get kicked off the forum for it. Brees isn't a bad comparison. Not saying he's anything like in his class but similar type of movement and arm etc.
Why would Shaun Hill be a bad thing? He played one ok half this season. He is a solid QB. My guess is he will be back on the field before this season is over....not anything more behind that thought than it is tough for a young QB with no experience to play a high level for a full season.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Davis does not have a weak arm. The dude can toss it 60 yards in the air. Remember the throw to Quick vs Tampa Bay? Just because he doesn't rifle it every throw doesn't mean he can't. In fact, I'm glad he doesn't. For once our recievers are catching passes. Maybe his "weak arm" is the reason.