What is the best plan for the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Best plan for OL

• Status Quo: Retain Dotson and Shelton and run it back!

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • New Guard: Let Dotson go and replace with draft pick. Retain Shelton.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Center of Attention: Retain Dotson, let Shelton go, upgrade C in draft/FA.

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • Big shift: Let Dotson go, move AJ to OG, draft a LT in Rd. 1, retain Shelton.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Reset: Let Dotson and Shelton go, find replacements in FA/draft.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

dang

Legend
Not quite.

You had money set aside for the roof and tuition no matter what. The increase in cap makes it so you can get the car you wanted AND still take care of what you were anticipating needing to take care of.
Not sure you’re following the math but this was just meant to be a facetious scenario.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Not quite.

You had money set aside for the roof and tuition no matter what. The increase in cap makes it so you can get the car you wanted AND still take care of what you were anticipating needing to take care of.
That's adorable.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not sure you’re following the math but this was just meant to be a facetious scenario.

Lol ah okay. I thought you were saying it wasn't feasible due to other needs

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Not quite.

The problem is the roof and the tuition just went up 15% in price.

dang

Legend
I believe most would agree our OL came together nicely last year. And we certainly don’t want to regress. But why not look at what we could do to make it even stronger. For this year:
1) Im going to assume Avila stays at LG and Hav holds down RT.
2) Is AJax our best option at LT? Or can we draft a more dominant LT?
3) Is Dotson our best option at RG? Or can we move Ajax or Draft someone and get more bang for the buck?
4) is Shelton our best option at OC? Or can we draft a more dominant OC?

I’m going to propose the following starting lineup:

LT/Draft
LG/Avilla
OC/Shelton but Draft an OC
RG/Ajax
RT/Hav

Ready for the pitchforks and torches.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I believe most would agree our OL came together nicely last year. And we certainly don’t want to regress. But why not look at what we could do to make it even stronger. For this year:
3) Is Dotson our best option at RG? Or can we move Ajax or Draft someone and get more bang for the buck?

LT/Draft
LG/Avilla
RG/Ajax
RT/Hav

No pitchforks, and there's nothing wrong with the thought process.

Just pointing-out that, right now, the Rams have the 19th, 52nd, 83rd and approximately 100th overall picks. This strategy would probably require the Rams using two of their top three draft choices on O-Line ... an extremely important position. However, it does not leave much Draft Capital for other areas of need, including Edge and Cornerback.

dang

Legend
No pitchforks, and there's nothing wrong with the thought process.

Just pointing-out that, right now, the Rams have the 19th, 52nd, 83rd and approximately 100th overall picks. This strategy would probably require the Rams using two of their top three draft choices on O-Line ... an extremely important position. However, it does not leave much Draft Capital for other areas of need, including Edge and Cornerback.
Spot On Allen2McVay. But I truly believe the Rams go FA for Edge. Perhaps with the increased cap they go after a first wave Edge like Burns/Allen/Hunter. I also feel the Rams may trade down from R1.19 to later R1 and pick up another R3 pick. All very hypothetical. But if they had 5 picks in top 100 and had their stud Edge then I say feed that OL. Shelton and Ajax are serviceable but at LT/OC but I want bigger and better for Staffords last 2-3 years.

WestCoastRam

Legend

LT/Draft
LG/Avilla
RG/Ajax
RT/Hav

I def see this as a possible scenario. Though I doubt we draft a center if we resign Shelton (and they do want to see what McCallister has).

Carry on!

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Spot On Allen2McVay. But I truly believe the Rams go FA for Edge. Perhaps with the increased cap they go after a first wave Edge like Burns/Allen/Hunter. I also feel the Rams may trade down from R1.19 to later R1 and pick up another R3 pick. All very hypothetical. But if they had 5 picks in top 100 and had their stud Edge then I say feed that OL. Shelton and Ajax are serviceable but at LT/OC but I want bigger and better for Staffords last 2-3 years.
I want them to trade down & use some comp picks to try and have 5 picks in first three rounds and a fourth rounder as well.

oldnotdead

Legend

Jackson said last year he won't play anywhere except LT (because it's the highest paid position on the OL, it's clear he's only interested in $$$) That's why I said the Rams need to draft two OTs one for LT another RT.

They will play him cheap this year on a tender, probably a second round. I seriously doubt any team will poach him as an UDFA playing LT and give the Rams their second round pick. This allows the Rams to draft a LT and play him at RT for experience and then move him to LT next year. That's why I expect them to draft a second OT unless they feel McClendon or Bruss can play RT.

Bruss was a very good RT in college so it's why I'm wondering if they signed him to try him out at RT during OTAs. Havenstein's cap is very heavy at $14.7M just for this year. A post June 1 release recoups $6.5M of cap.

With the cap increase larger than expected they can afford to go $9M/yr on Dotson. I'd rather have Dotson than Havenstein if it came down to that. Center and RG are normally the two lowest paid positions and I don't see the Rams changing that. It's all about the guaranteed money not the overall. It's why I think the Rams will keep both Shelton and Dotson.

If there is going to be a change IMO the most likely spot will be RT. I feel the Lions exploited Havenstein's weakness which makes me at least question Rob's cap charge this year. Speed and strength at wide 9 beats Rob every time. That's the book on him and Goff and Holmes knew it. Hell even the guys in the booth knew it. It's why Rob gets so many false start penalties.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
Jackson said last year he won't play anywhere except LT (because it's the highest paid position on the OL, it's clear he's only interested in $$$) That's why I said the Rams need to draft two OTs one for LT another RT.

They will play him cheap this year on a tender, probably a second round. I seriously doubt any team will poach him as an UDFA playing LT and give the Rams their second round pick. This allows the Rams to draft a LT and play him at RT for experience and then move him to LT next year. That's why I expect them to draft a second OT unless they feel McClendon or Bruss can play RT.

Bruss was a very good RT in college so it's why I'm wondering if they signed him to try him out at RT during OTAs. Havenstein's cap is very heavy at $14.7M just for this year. A post June 1 release recoups $6.5M of cap.

With the cap increase larger than expected they can afford to go $9M/yr on Dotson. I'd rather have Dotson than Havenstein if it came down to that. Center and RG are normally the two lowest paid positions and I don't see the Rams changing that. It's all about the guaranteed money not the overall. It's why I think the Rams will keep both Shelton and Dotson.

If there is going to be a change IMO the most likely spot will be RT. I feel the Lions exploited Havenstein's weakness which makes me at least question Rob's cap charge this year. Speed and strength at wide 9 beats Rob every time. That's the book on him and Goff and Holmes knew it. Hell even the guys in the booth knew it. It's why Rob gets so many false start penalties.
Ajax never said that. NEVER.

It’s a lie. And it’s a lie that paints a good Rams player in a negative light, undeservedly.

Why is this lie repeated by you?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim

Lots of good stuff but one thing ... I can't imagine Josh Allen or Brian Burns hitting Free Agency.

Both are just too talented and valuable not to be franchise tagged. Now I could see a tag-and-trade scenario but that would cost a first round pick at a minimum.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Jackson said last year he won't play anywhere except LT (because it's the highest paid position on the OL, it's clear he's only interested in $$$)

You have commented several times that you take some abuse and criticism on this Forum. This Is Why.

I get no pleasure from posting this response.

You state things as fact that some us believe are simply not truthful and accurate. The above comment on Jackson is an example. You have posted numerous times that Jackson made statements and let it be known he only wanted to play LT. However, you have never provided anything substantive to support this claim.

Several posters, including me, have taken the time and effort to post articles and quotes from Jackson that disprove your statements, yet you have failed to acknowledge and address the support of our responses.

As George Costanza of Seinfeld once said when confronted with his inaccurate and untruthful statements ...
"Well, it's all for charity"

dang

Legend
Ajax never said that. NEVER.

It’s a lie. And it’s a lie that paints a good Rams player in a negative light, undeservedly.

Why is this lie repeated by you?
Kupped.

Ive only set 2 posters to ignore. I’ll assume you’re responding to the one I put on ignore because of the incessant claims to have insight/ sources regarding everything to do about the Rams. I’m also going to bet hes quoting Ajax for something that only he has knowledge of. And I’ll bet he found a way to bring the need to cut Havenstein into the conversation. I thought my ignore would rid me of the insanity of reading these incessant fabrications and obsessions but alas here I am caught in the web of insanity again.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Jackson said last year he won't play anywhere except LT (because it's the highest paid position on the OL, it's clear he's only interested in $$$)
@oldnotdead , I love you, but you have to stop posting untruths like this, especially when it's about a player's character. A-Jax never said anything like that (his exact words were, and I quote, “I love playing left side, honestly,” Jackson said, via The Athletic. “Tackle is my thing, for the most part. I understand that they paid Joe, so I get that whole part. But whatever I can do for the team, I’ll do for the team."), and there's nothing that says he's only interested in money.

It's not true, and that's why you're getting the backlash from others. Look, you're clearly smart. I can agree with a few opinions of yours. But when you're clearly wrong, you have to admit it.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It's called trolling
The Ajax lie that he keeps regurgitating is a total insult. Yet it's tolerated so......
So, you think it's intentional because he wants and enjoys the abuse?
Negative attention is preferable to no attention?

That would be sad. I hope that's not the case.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Kupped.

Ive only set 2 posters to ignore. I’ll assume you’re responding to the one I put on ignore because of the incessant claims to have insight/ sources regarding everything to do about the Rams. I’m also going to bet hes quoting Ajax for something that only he has knowledge of. And I’ll bet he found a way to bring the need to cut Havenstein into the conversation. I thought my ignore would rid me of the insanity of reading these incessant fabrications and obsessions but alas here I am caught in the web of insanity again.

Well...you nailed it. On all accounts.

I apologize.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So, you think it's intentional because he wants and enjoys the abuse?
Negative attention is preferable to no attention?

That would be sad. I hope that's not the case.
When someone is posting with the intention of stirring shit up, and criticizing Ram players or coaches, it's clearly trolling