What is the best plan for the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Best plan for OL

• Status Quo: Retain Dotson and Shelton and run it back!

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • New Guard: Let Dotson go and replace with draft pick. Retain Shelton.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Center of Attention: Retain Dotson, let Shelton go, upgrade C in draft/FA.

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • Big shift: Let Dotson go, move AJ to OG, draft a LT in Rd. 1, retain Shelton.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Reset: Let Dotson and Shelton go, find replacements in FA/draft.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Scherff is an interesting comp, but it supports a pretty hefty contract for Dotson.
Just on value alone, 3 years 49.5 mill in 2022 equates to a significantly higher number today. He signed that deal when the cap was roughly 208 mill, and now it is to exceed 240 mill. That's a 15% increase.
Even at a modest 3-5% annual increase, that would put Sherff closer to 18 mill per
How hefty are you thinking? Usually, we see the guys with the accolades resetting the market for positions. I think the market is set by what the top guys are currently making, not by what they could making if they signed a new deal today, but I could be wrong.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How hefty are you thinking? Usually, we see the guys with the accolades resetting the market for positions. I think the market is set by what the top guys are currently making, not by what they could making if they signed a new deal today, but I could be wrong.
I think the 16-17 number is hefty, but his market value.
Don’t hate the player, hate the game

Flatlyner

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Survivor Champion
Scherff is an interesting comp, but it supports a pretty hefty contract for Dotson.
Just on value alone, 3 years 49.5 mill in 2022 equates to a significantly higher number today. He signed that deal when the cap was roughly 208 mill, and now it is to exceed 240 mill. That's a 15% increase.
Even at a modest 3-5% annual increase, that would put Sherff closer to 18 mill per
I don't really think Scherff is a good comp to what Dotson should be making. Scherff was a 5 time pro bowler and 1 time All Pro when he signed that deal. Dotson has not made a single pro bowl and has only put together one good season, so I think those expectations as a base contract are off. But, in regards to that contract, the cap hit year one was only 7.6m, year two 10m, year three is the kicker at 23.9m. They do have an out that would save nearly 10m in cap however before this 3rd year hits. To me, thats not a bad contract at all, especially for a 5 time pro bowler.

Note: guess how many pro bowls he's been in since he signed that deal?

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Note: guess how many pro bowls he's been in since he signed that deal?
It's hard to tell how much lineman play has dropped, but he moved from the NFC to the AFC where he's competing against Nelson, Bitonio, and Thuney, who are pretty much locks and make about as much or more. Also, it doesn't help that Jacksonville is a small market team.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't really think Scherff is a good comp to what Dotson should be making. Scherff was a 5 time pro bowler and 1 time All Pro when he signed that deal
For one, I said it was a comparison based on amount and increase due to cap.
On the other hand, Sherff was 31 when signing that deal and missed 21 games in his previous 5 seasons, hadn’t come close to having a full season in years when he signed that deal.
So it’s surely debatable about his value at the time being injury prone and up in age

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
It's hard to tell how much lineman play has dropped, but he moved from the NFC to the AFC where he's competing against Nelson, Bitonio, and Thuney, who are pretty much locks and make about as much or more. Also, it doesn't help that Jacksonville is a small market team.

The market will work itself out.The Rams will know Dotson’s asking price & how much he is willing to comeback for ?

Alaric Jackson is another part of the puzzle.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Just out of curiosity, how many the higher priced guards in the league signed their deals after one good season? Or did they have a longer track record of success?

Memphis Ram

Legend
Christian Haynes

Possible 3rd round replacement for Dotson?

That is, IF the organization views him as high or close to they viewed Avila last year and were willing to gamble on a rookie?

Lance Zierlein gave Avila a 6.30 grade last year and gave this kid a 6.27.

OLine draft guru Brandon Thorn gave Avila a 7.6 grade last year and gave this kid a 7.3 grade and lists Kevin Dotson as his pro comparison.

View: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10105501-christian-haynes-nfl-draft-2024-scouting-report-for-uconn-iol

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the cap increase, I view that as money we didn't think we would have and I'm tagging Dotson if we can't get something done.

No need to take a step back when we can keep continuity and the only year it's an overpay is a year where the cap went up 10 million more than we expected anyways

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With the cap increase, I view that as money we didn't think we would have and I'm tagging Dotson if we can't get something done.

No need to take a step back when we can keep continuity and the only year it's an overpay is a year where the cap went up 10 million more than we expected anyways
And that tag is Snead's negotiating strength. Not a bad idea. Let's see if he can continue to play at a high level and then they can negotiate a long term deal. Unless Dotson would take less this year and sign a contract for more guaranteed money. Should be interesting.

dang

Legend

So you need a new car, a new roof and a tuition for your son’s school next semester. You weren’t sure how your $25k bonus was going to cover all that but you were going to make it work by buying a$10k truck, buy the shingles and replace the roof yourself and send your kid to community college for a semester. Then you received a $50k bonus and you decided to go ahead and buy that $50k Toyota Tacoma instead. To hell with the roof and the kid - they can wait another year?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Observation about Noteboom's cap numbers.

Most posters are unhappy about his 2024 cap hit of $20M; plus another $10M in 2025 Dead-$/Void Year.

One thing to consider ... the Rams have NOT had significant cap hits for Noteboom prior to now.

He signed his big-$ extension (three years / $40M) in 2022 but like many big contracts, it was structured to have a small cap-hit in Year 1 (something to consider with regard to Kevin Dotson). Then the Rams restructured Noteboom in 2023 for cap relief.

As a result, Noteboom carried a small $3.5M cap-hit in 2022; and just $6.5M last year. The reality is that Noteboom has been Cheap (against the cap) the prior two seasons ... Unfortunately, he has also been injury prone, and his play has been only about average.

The cost for signing him to an extension after the Super Bowl; and then restructuring for 2023 cap relief has got to be felt on the Rams Salary Cap; and, it has NOT yet been felt. Regardless of whether the Rams keep him or release him (pre or post June 1), they will feel that cost against their cap over the next two seasons.
They'll feel it less with the cap going up like it has!!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tag Dotson?
Good grief, he'd get near 21 mill

oldnotdead

Legend
1. Renegotiate with Noteboom. Spread his existing contract over 4 years making it essentially $4M/yr. He has value playing RG, and both OT positions. He's exactly the kind of depth this OL needs. They will have injuries along the OL so he provides a quality swing player for their game day reserves. (Noteboom, McClendon, McAllister)

2. Offer Dotson $9M/year. If he says no and moves on then they have McClendon who they already think highly of. Or they use Noteboom as a bridge at RG while they draft and develop a long term guy.

3. I anticipate Shelton being extended and playing for Allen type money ($8M/year this year).

4. Draft 2 OTs. There is no guarantee that they will be able to resign Jackson next year. He already showed he will demand top $$ last year.

5. If they can't afford $14.7M for Havenstein then release him as a post June 1 transaction. Play a rookie or use Noteboom as a bridge RT.

The new CAP gives them the ability to re-sign the other RFA and Robinson & probably Witherspoon.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
The plan I favor the most is the one McVay and Wendell decide on.
Look…if we’re just going to sensibly defer to and rely upon the experienced professionals rather than imposing our novice layperson viewpoints upon the team and other fans, the entire structure of the online forum will collapse, and then what will we be left with…the timely conveyance of factual information from reliable sources!?!?! That just won’t do!!!!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you need a new car, a new roof and a tuition for your son’s school next semester. You weren’t sure how your $25k bonus was going to cover all that but you were going to make it work by buying a$10k truck, buy the shingles and replace the roof yourself and send your kid to community college for a semester. Then you received a $50k bonus and you decided to go ahead and buy that $50k Toyota Tacoma instead. To hell with the roof and the kid - they can wait another year?

Not quite.

You had money set aside for the roof and tuition no matter what. The increase in cap makes it so you can get the car you wanted AND still take care of what you were anticipating needing to take care of.

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Look…if we’re just going to sensibly defer to and rely upon the experienced professionals rather than imposing our novice layperson viewpoints upon the team and other fans, the entire structure of the online forum will collapse, and then what will we be left with…the timely conveyance of factual information from reliable sources!?!?! That just won’t do!!!!
Ahhhh...sarcasm!!

It doeth a soul well!!

~ArkyRamsFan~