What is the best plan for the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Best plan for OL

• Status Quo: Retain Dotson and Shelton and run it back!

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • New Guard: Let Dotson go and replace with draft pick. Retain Shelton.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Center of Attention: Retain Dotson, let Shelton go, upgrade C in draft/FA.

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • Big shift: Let Dotson go, move AJ to OG, draft a LT in Rd. 1, retain Shelton.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Reset: Let Dotson and Shelton go, find replacements in FA/draft.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

AZRams

What, we're all thinking it...
GIF by iHeartRadio

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’d love Dotson back but at the $12-14m range. Much higher and he’s eating too much valuable cap space.
Agreed. I get the anxiety about the offensive line. I agree that Mcvay should require ab elite line for his system. But I'd rather he find a guard at 8-10 million. And then add a food corner as opposed to just a guard.

Lunchbox

Starter
Name
LunchBox
Agreed. I get the anxiety about the offensive line. I agree that Mcvay should require ab elite line for his system. But I'd rather he find a guard at 8-10 million. And then add a food corner as opposed to just a guard.
Is that like a refrigerator?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Like who?

I would suggest Robert Hunt, but he's getting twelve million per year. I think Dotson gets even more, considering the year he had; I'm bettting somewhere around sixteen million a year.

I wouldn't be completely upset if we paid Dotson, but I worry that this year was a contract year.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
My first choice would be continuity. That means bringing back Shelton and Dotson. But if the cost is too prohibitive then maybe look to the draft and free agency. They do have an option to move Avila to center. That would give them a little more flexibility with choosing between a guard and a center.

oldnotdead

Legend
Jackson said last year he wouldn't move to OG so that option is out.

They brought Shelton back for a reason. It was a prove-it year as a starter and he did exactly that. People automatically assume that you can simply go out and draft an immediate starter at OC but it's not that easy. Why change when you have a player who has proved he can play the position well? They will offer Shelton the same basic package they offered Allen and I would be surprised if he didn't take it. I think they will extend Shelton and promote McAllister to backup center and potential future starter down the line.

The question remains on how much are they willing to pay Dotson. I think they will make a fair offer of between $5M and $7M/ yr. But as we saw with Corbett there are always teams willing to overpay. But like with Corbett they then often end up with buyer's regret. Corbett has been injury plagued and hasn't lived up to expectations. You have to know the Rams are more than cognizant of that. But it will come down to it being Dotson's decision. My guess is that it could be 50/50 with him because he knows he will have finally nailed down a starting position on a team that can contend. If he moves on IMO their contingency is McClendon who could make a good RG.

The other question marks are Havenstein and Noteboom. Havenstein is due for a cap hit of $14.7M next year. Do they pay him that kind of money when he struggled as he did in Detroit? His age IMO is also a big factor. That's a lot to pay for one last year for a player who doesn't project beyond next season. Noteboom has a big cap hit especially considering his injury is the type that can be chronic. IMO it sealed his fate as a post June 1 cap release.

I think the obvious solution is to make both Rob and Joe post June 1 release transactions for cap relief and regain over $20M in cap, and draft a LT of the future this year and start him at RT this year then move him to the left side next year after paying Jackson as a tendered player (2nd rd) this year. If Jackson improves and they are able to extend him they can keep their drafted OT at RT.

It's time to see if Arcuri can play as a swing OT which I don't anticipate considering he's shown zero to date and trotting out an injured Noteboom last year was their preference last season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take two OTs in this draft.

McVay is going to want as much continuity on the OL as possible, so I think it's on the right side where changes might be made.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think whatever market rate is for Dotson, you pay it.
I don’t buy the idea that Dotson may have had a fluke year. He played great and there’s no reason to think that wouldn’t continue

Memento

Name
Jemma
I don’t buy the idea that Dotson may have had a fluke year. He played great and there’s no reason to think that wouldn’t continue

Sixteen million a year, though? There's plenty of solid guards in this class. A couple of solid centers as well. Do you really spend sixteen-million-per-year on Dotson?

And you have to worry about a fluke year. It took a trade to us to get him to do well. Yes, he did better at right guard than tackle, but that's still a right guard. The easiest position on the O-line to replace. And you think spending the market rate - and yes, sixteen million is the market rate (according to Sportrac, unless, of course, you get him for less because LA?) is prudent?

Mind you, I wouldn't be upset if they spent that for Dotson and it turned out great, but you're still assuming a pretty big risk for a big cap hit.

EDIT: Apologies if I came off as harsh, Dieter. I just don't know if you spend that much on an interior lineman who just had a career year in his contract year.

Memento

Name
Jemma
Robert Hunt. Jonah Jackson. Dalton Risner.

Jonah Jackson will get paid. He was one of the best guards in the NFl this year. Hunt and Risner, I could see, though.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jonah Jackson will get paid. He was one of the best guards in the NFl this year. Hunt and Risner, I could see, though.
Ah I thought he was hurt last year. Nvmd. I'll throw zeitler in as well. And tbh, if the Rams came out of the draft prioritizing guard, Barton would be such an ideal pick.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Jackson said last year he wouldn't move to OG so that option is out.

They brought Shelton back for a reason. It was a prove-it year as a starter and he did exactly that. People automatically assume that you can simply go out and draft an immediate starter at OC but it's not that easy. Why change when you have a player who has proved he can play the position well? They will offer Shelton the same basic package they offered Allen and I would be surprised if he didn't take it. I think they will extend Shelton and promote McAllister to backup center and potential future starter down the line.

The question remains on how much are they willing to pay Dotson. I think they will make a fair offer of between $5M and $7M/ yr. But as we saw with Corbett there are always teams willing to overpay. But like with Corbett they then often end up with buyer's regret. Corbett has been injury plagued and hasn't lived up to expectations. You have to know the Rams are more than cognizant of that. But it will come down to it being Dotson's decision. My guess is that it could be 50/50 with him because he knows he will have finally nailed down a starting position on a team that can contend. If he moves on IMO their contingency is McClendon who could make a good RG.

The other question marks are Havenstein and Noteboom. Havenstein is due for a cap hit of $14.7M next year. Do they pay him that kind of money when he struggled as he did in Detroit? His age IMO is also a big factor. That's a lot to pay for one last year for a player who doesn't project beyond next season. Noteboom has a big cap hit especially considering his injury is the type that can be chronic. IMO it sealed his fate as a post June 1 cap release.

I think the obvious solution is to make both Rob and Joe post June 1 release transactions for cap relief and regain over $20M in cap, and draft a LT of the future this year and start him at RT this year then move him to the left side next year after paying Jackson as a tendered player (2nd rd) this year. If Jackson improves and they are able to extend him they can keep their drafted OT at RT.

It's time to see if Arcuri can play as a swing OT which I don't anticipate considering he's shown zero to date and trotting out an injured Noteboom last year was their preference last season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them take two OTs in this draft.

McVay is going to want as much continuity on the OL as possible, so I think it's on the right side where changes might be made.
1. As noted, Jackson never said that.
2. No way Dotson signs for $7M per season. He’ll likely get at least double that.
3. Havenstein is signed through 2025.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik

Yeah, we know what we're getting. He's worth the market rate. People should stop being penny-wise and pound foolish about this and remember years like 2019, 2020, and 2022 when the problems with the OL really hurt us.

If Dotson wants the market rate, pay it.

Really.

TSFH Fan

Epic Music Guy
Pay Dotson.
If cap management is an issue, they can backload the contract.
I mean the Rams could be looking at another remodel year in year 4 or 5 of Dotson's contract - drop a ton of the cap hit in those years.