What is the best plan for the OL?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Best plan for OL

• Status Quo: Retain Dotson and Shelton and run it back!

Votes: 32 37.2%
  • New Guard: Let Dotson go and replace with draft pick. Retain Shelton.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • Center of Attention: Retain Dotson, let Shelton go, upgrade C in draft/FA.

Votes: 48 55.8%
  • Big shift: Let Dotson go, move AJ to OG, draft a LT in Rd. 1, retain Shelton.

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • Reset: Let Dotson and Shelton go, find replacements in FA/draft.

Votes: 1 1.2%

• Total voters

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I think you can upgrade Shelton, and I feel that Dotson is going to be really expensive. I'd re-sign A-Jax because he's young and will get even better. I know it's unpopular, but I'd let both Shelton and Dotson go, sign, say, Robert Hunt (who will likely cost less than Dotson, but has been far more consistent in his career), draft Cooper Beebe to move Avila to center, and make ourselves a big, physical, nasty O-line to play against, one that would make San Fran's vaunted D-line look like little kids against men.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I think you can upgrade Shelton, and I feel that Dotson is going to be really expensive. I'd re-sign A-Jax because he's young and will get even better. I know it's unpopular, but I'd let both Shelton and Dotson go, sign, say, Robert Hunt (who will likely cost less than Dotson, but has been far more consistent in his career), draft Cooper Beebe to move Avila to center, and make ourselves a big, physical, nasty O-line to play against, one that would make San Fran's vaunted D-line look like little kids against men.
The “even bigger shift” plan?

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
Why is Dotson all of a sudden the greatest ever?
PFF rating? Make him an offer - he takes it or he doesn't. Easy peasy.:sunglasses:

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Make it really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, GOOD!

Really?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Resign Dotson. Draft a Center round 3. Those two things would be a plan for sure.

Re: LT you aren't desperate thanks to how Jackson played. But if one you like is there at 19 take him and park his oversized ass behind Jackson on the depth chart. OL is officially good to go at that point.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
text girlfriend GIF

WestCoastRam

Legend
Now I do like some centers in the draft, but I do not believe the Rams will go with a rookie at Center. I expect both Dotson & Shelton to be back in 2024 and it is time all of us give Shelton a little love.
Hell, Shelton has to void his contract first before we even consider what we need to do. He may just keep the contract with us one more year.

AvengerRam

Benevolent Troublemaker
Hell, Shelton has to void his contract first before we even consider what we need to do. He may just keep the contract with us one more year.
His option is for less than $3M. I think he’ll roll the dice for a raise (from us or some other team).

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I don't know enough about the OL to have an opinion anymore. But Dotson was just acquired this year right? Are we worried his ability was just a flash in the pan?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Having a 5th lineman who can play OT and G is such a gift to have. I don't think we can reasonably pay Boom as much as we are for that position but drafting or developing a 5th guy from what we have is important.
I would like to agree but I really thought Noteboom looked bad at guard.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't know enough about the OL to have an opinion anymore. But Dotson was just acquired this year right? Are we worried his ability was just a flash in the pan?
He's a free agent, coming-off a really good year but it was by far his best season.
He may be in-line for a big-pay-day in Free Agency.
The questions are how high will the Rams have to go? And is that amount too high?

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Really? I though he
A couple of seasons ago they tried him at guard and he was foundering and then got injured.
Noteboom has looked solid at tackle though.
Every player has a position they excel better at.
I remember a couple of draft pundits stating that Rob Havenstein would only be a right tackle in this league and they were pretty much right in that case.
Their experiment with him at guard didn't work out and they never tried to switch him over to left tackle despite him being a Pro Bowl level right tackle.
Hopefully I'm wrong on this because I think Noteboom has a year or two left on his new contract.

WestCoastRam

Legend
A couple seasons ago they tried him a guard and he was foundering and then got injured.
Noteboom has looked solid at tackle though.
Every player has a position they excel better at.
I remember a couple of draft pundits stating that Rob Havenstein would only be a right tackle in this league and they were pretty much right in that case.
Their experiment with him at guard didn't work out and they never tried to switch him over to left tackle despite him being a Pro Bowl level right tackle.
Hopefully I'm wrong on this because I think Noteboom has a year or two left on his new contract.
I think it might be fun to go back and watch him play guard last year, he did quite well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But Dotson was just acquired this year right? Are we worried his ability was just a flash in the pan?
That is absolutely a concern. Guys who happen to put it all together in their FA season are a bit suspect.

But a bigger concern for myself is needing 6-8 weeks for this OL to get their shit together. I'd really like to see the offense start fast and us chase that #1 seed.