What if Sean Mannion is the QB we have been waiting for?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
My take on Sean Mannion:

Pro's: Has the physical skills needed to play in the NFL (not elite type talent)
Clean off the field
Gym and film rat

Con's: Is raw and will need time to get up to NFL speed

So going into last season, he wasn't going to be force into the line up. Team thought they had a good QB in Foles and we all know how that went (weak fibre morals). Traded for a bridge stop gap guy in Keenum to insure they didn't throw a raw kid into the fire. Besides the front office thought w/ Foles & Keenum they had "enough" to make the playoffs. Turns out they knew or guessed wrong.
When you draft a raw guy you need to insulate him with a game plan for him to develop & succeed. Now what the plan looks like and; over what timeline we won't know (maybe in May or Sept we learn something about his development plan).
So I was good with him not being thrown into the fire down the stretch. I still think we won't see him much of any no matter what happens this coming season.
I say give him two full off seasons to get himself physically and mentally ready to compete for playing time in 2017-2018.
Furthermore he would need the door blown wide open for him to get a look this season and then prove the cliche "next man up" theory.
I just don't prescribe to "well we taken him in the 3rd" you play him sooner rather than later. Stay the development plan with him and don't change it on the fly.

Now I'm sure you know by now I'm in the camp to go get Wentz camp at all costs. I think you need to add a QB almost every year until you hit on your guy.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Come on man - horrible? That is not what most were saying at the time. Did he light it up? No. But he wasn't horrible in pre-season nor his extremely limited regular season time. And if he was playing against street FAs, he was throwing to them and playing behind them as well.

We will see how Mannion progresses. I am rarely opposed to drafting a QB in the early rounds even if we have a QB in place. If we have a good QB and a good back-up is about the only time I would not. And even then if a really good QB prospect falls to us I would want us to grab him. Good back-ups with starting potential make very good trade bait and even if you end up with a glut at that position, it remains valuable. If we can move up wisely to grab a Wentz or Goff then I'd be fine with it. If we can package up a lower pick with our #1 to grab Lynch, I'd be good with that too. But if the Rams don't go after a top QB, that tells me they are seeing decent upside from Mannion.

I watched Mannion his entire college career - almost every game he played. He has some things to work on but he possesses the tools and given even a decent line and some weapons, he can make things happen. But then again, I don't get paid to evaluate this stuff so I will just have to see how it goes.

This ^^^^^

This is how I see it as well. Good stuff @RamFan503

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
IMO all three Wentz, Goff and Lynch are better prospects than Mannion.....Nothing against the former Beaver, but IMO the best we can hope for in Sean Mannion is that he becomes a modern day Don Strock.

Yeah no doubt and there are a lot of QBs I'd take ahead of Mannion in this draft tbh.

Thing he's got going for himself is he's very intelligent, so if he succeeds it will be using that to his advantage by knowing the offense cold and anticipating defenses. The Rams offense might be entering a good period for him to win that job, since the young OL is coming online and they should be adding a couple possession pieces to the WR corps. I think a good comparison for him is Jim Everette, I see that as his ceiling.

So regardless if I were calling the shots I'd be drafting QB high. Load that QB room and keep loading it until someone steps the F up and shows they can take this team to wins and playoff appearances.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What none of us know (including Fisher at this point) is exactly how Mannion will show up in training camp this year. He is not a rookie anymore, and should be making major strides in this his second year (getting comfortable and more confident). I fully expect him to be our number 2 quarterback and hopefully, Paxton Lynch will compete with him for the number one job next year. If Mannion has shown no progress in training camp, and Lynch is the better prospect, I would cut him and bring in another veteran in case of injury to Case.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Is that picture from the movie about those kids trying to get back to Coney Island and kept running into gangs along the way. Those baseball guys are on roller skates in the subway I think?
Yes. The Warriors.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
If the Rams are drafting a QB this year, it almost seems certain that it would have to be Paxton Lynch. I don't think you can spend the draft capital to move up for Wentz or Goff and I don't see any others like Cook, Hackenburg, Prescott, or Jones being ready to play anytime soon in the NFL. So I guess we'll know how the coaching staff feels about Mannion when the 15 th pick rolls around.

Hey Man

Starter
Name
Hey Man
Yes. The Warriors.
Thanks X, cool movie.
I hope someone pans out for us at the QB position this year. I have confidence in Keenum to start this year. He ended the season with a good run.