What if Sean Mannion is the QB we have been waiting for?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Mannion conversation changed once we realized Foles wasn't the answer...think about it...

You have Foles, and you think at minimum, he's league average. You draft Mannion because he needs work and can learn from Foles, but it also gives you insurance for the long term as Foles hasn't always stayed healthy, AND he wasn't (at that time), under contract for very long. When they drafted Mannion, they were probably thinking he wouldn't play for at least 2 years.

The conversation has now changed because Foles is [not good]. So now the coaching staff is left with this decision: count on Keenum, or draft a QB.

So I think one of two things will happen: either the coaching staff will pull a Chargers and draft a QB when you have a QB with potential on the roster, or they will ignore it all together. If they draft one, I would hope it would be Lynch (unless we can move up). But I have a feeling that they target Cook in the 2nd round.

Moderator's note: There are ways to be critical of how our players perform without using derogatory terms. Please do not refer to anyone in our organization as garbage, worthless, crap, etc...

Last edited by a moderator:

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Since when is Rodgers referred to as ARod? I was thinking the same thing you were about ARod the Yankee lol. I have never heard Aaron Rodgers referred to as ARod, I must be getting old lol.
I'm pretty sure a football announcer did that trying to be clever or something, but my memory is fuzzy. Media types and their cheesy nicknames.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
i don't watch that crappy game or even watch any highlights so i have no clue what they call him. i've always known rodgers as arod.

You don't like baseball??!

image.jpg

Psycho_X

Legend
All I know is we need a competent QB to be a playoff contender. I don't know if that's mannion or one of the QBs we'd be able to draft but I'd be 100% ok with drafting one in the first round and have a completely open competition between everyone and whoever wins is the starter. If Mannion wins and is our starter and we have a first rounder sitting on the bench I don't give a crap one bit as long as we're winning more games than losing for once.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
But how many QB's will we carry on the roster? Somebody is getting cut if we draft a QB high....probably Foles...if the newest guy is any good at all...

Foles is going to be very attractive to other teams as a backup. Rams will have no problem moving him to make room, but they don't have to do it immediately. They can wait until camp or preseason when injuries occur and teams get desperate, or they can package him in a draft day trade like a move up with Dallas to secure Goff/Wentz.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If the Rams don't draft a QB then Mannion had better be the "QB we've been waiting for"
And Lucy would have some 'splainin to do why he didn't play last year

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
At this point no one knows what the Rams have in Mannion. And this season they need to find out. I keep hearing how he is a game film freak and is really football savy. That's good, but will it translate for him onto the football field game time? Rams have to play him and find out.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
At this point no one knows what the Rams have in Mannion. And this season they need to find out. I keep hearing how he is a game film freak and is really football savy. That's good, but will it translate for him onto the football field game time? Rams have to play him and find out.
This to me is another "chicken or egg" question. Would the world know who Kurt Warner is if he hadn't been thrown in to the lions? Russell Wilson may have won the starting role in training camp his first year, but he also needed a coaching staff who had the balls to play a rookie. Other extreme is Aaron Rodgers who sat forever. Not an exact science is it?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
All I know is that Mannion needs a legit chance to be the starter. As others have said, we don't know what we have in him, which was beyond his control last year....Wouldn't it be something that while we all are striving with one another about this FA or that one..this draft QB pick or that one....While Sean Mannion the franchise QB was just waiting for a chance to show what he is...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
All I know is that Mannion needs a legit chance to be the starter. As others have said, we don't know what we have in him, which was beyond his control last year....Wouldn't it be something that while we all are striving with one another about this FA or that one..this draft QB pick or that one....While Sean Mannion the franchise QB was just waiting for a chance to show what he is...

Then he needs to step up and win the job.

Because the Rams can't afford to stand pat and realize that neither Mannion nor Keenum are the guys. Then, they passed up the perfect chance to address the QB position and have pissed away another season with no answer at QB and no guarantee that there will be a QB available in 2017.(because the 2017 QB Draft looks quite weak right now)

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
Does anyone remember what Mannion looked like in preseason last year? I do. Does anyone know why they wouldn't have given Mannion some playing time after Foles was benched? I have a pretty good idea and it's not because Keenum is that great. Keenum doesn't have the arm strength to complete out patterns and Mannion still couldn't get a snap in. Think about it. If Foles is permanently wrecked we don't even have a backup. Somehow someway there will be another QB brought on board.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because the Rams can't afford to stand pat and realize that neither Mannion nor Keenum are the guys. Then, they passed up the perfect chance to address the QB position and have pissed away another season with no answer at QB and no guarantee that there will be a QB available in 2017.(because the 2017 QB Draft looks quite weak right now)

I thought that I said that? I also didn't say to stand pat either..I said if Rams scouts believe that Paxton Lynch is significantly better, then draft him. Regardless, give Mannion a chance to win the job

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does anyone remember what Mannion looked like in preseason last year? I do. Does anyone know why they wouldn't have given Mannion some playing time after Foles was benched? I have a pretty good idea and it's not because Keenum is that great. Keenum doesn't have the arm strength to complete out patterns and Mannion still couldn't get a snap in. Think about it. If Foles is permanently wrecked we don't even have a backup. Somehow someway there will be another QB brought on board.
I remember Fisher saying that Mannion would sit and learn, very early. That Foles in preseason when shiny new to the team, and Keenum as the back up meant Mannion would not play Thats how I remember it.

lockdnram21

Legend

I dont see moving up an option with all the holes they created. So the only hope is Lynch makes it to our pick. Or if not Lynch do u take cook?

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
I remember Fisher saying that Mannion would sit and learn, very early. That Foles in preseason when shiny new to the team, and Keenum as the back up meant Mannion would not play Thats how I remember it.
I was there and Mannion was horrible against street free agents. Nothing personal I want him to be good. He was a 3rd round choice. I hope im stupid and that was really aaron rogers out there. But Ive watched a little bit of football and that's not what I saw.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I was there and Mannion was horrible against street free agents. Nothing personal I want him to be good. He was a 3rd round choice. I hope im stupid and that was really aaron rogers out there. But Ive watched a little bit of football and that's not what I saw.
Come on man - horrible? That is not what most were saying at the time. Did he light it up? No. But he wasn't horrible in pre-season nor his extremely limited regular season time. And if he was playing against street FAs, he was throwing to them and playing behind them as well.

We will see how Mannion progresses. I am rarely opposed to drafting a QB in the early rounds even if we have a QB in place. If we have a good QB and a good back-up is about the only time I would not. And even then if a really good QB prospect falls to us I would want us to grab him. Good back-ups with starting potential make very good trade bait and even if you end up with a glut at that position, it remains valuable. If we can move up wisely to grab a Wentz or Goff then I'd be fine with it. If we can package up a lower pick with our #1 to grab Lynch, I'd be good with that too. But if the Rams don't go after a top QB, that tells me they are seeing decent upside from Mannion.

I watched Mannion his entire college career - almost every game he played. He has some things to work on but he possesses the tools and given even a decent line and some weapons, he can make things happen. But then again, I don't get paid to evaluate this stuff so I will just have to see how it goes.