What I think is gonna happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Yes. Much much much much much better. Drew Brees would have had us in the playoffs with a chance at making the Super Bowl.

That dude made crap work in New Orleans when the OL sucked. He made crap work in New Orleans when his weapons were hurt or unproven. He'd have been great here. He would have made lemonade out of Britt, Austin, Cook, Kendricks, etc. as weapons. And with the running game and defense we had, we would have been set.

Even Drew Brees couldn't make Cook catch...

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Thankfully we'll know soon, though, because it's drivin me nuts.

Snead (at computer monitor, reading the quote from Merlin above): Hey Jeff, come check out this post on ROD.

[Fisher walks over and looks at the monitor, reading the quote, smiles]

Fisher: I don't think we've trolled anyone this good since the Washington game in 2014 ... or maybe when we left JT out of the loop when we traded Sam.

[Snead and Fisher look at each other, high five, and burst out in maniacal laughter].

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Snead (at computer monitor, reading the quote from Merlin above): Hey Jeff, come check out this post on ROD.

[Fisher walks over and looks at the monitor, reading the quote, smiles]

Fisher: I don't think we've trolled anyone this good since the Washington game in 2014 ... or maybe when we left JT out of the loop when we traded Sam.

[Snead and Fisher look at each other, high five, and burst out in maniacal laughter].

That's okay. He just hasn't gotten the ugly puppy I'm sending him with the digestive disorder... lil dude's gonna poop like a hippo... and smell like a septic tank...

He's gonna be laughing...through a gas mask...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Even Drew Brees couldn't make Cook catch...

He could make it a lot easier for him to catch by throwing more accurate passes. And Cook would be more likely to stay motivated with a better QB and a team that is winning.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm mostly tidying up since this whole Goff/Wentz debate is getting too tribal for me. No point, really. We'll take who we take and we'll live with it. Or not, I guess.

I was gonna do a draft preview and I still might, cuz... /shrug, but ultimately, we all wanna know what's gonna happen and it's what I used to do.

Anyway, based on a few things, this is how I think it's going to play out.

Wentz has come in for his visit. I think this is his last chance to win them over. I think he has a TON of love in the building because of his leadership and his various other attributes. I think he reaffirms all of that and makes the decision harder.

Goff comes in in a few days and wins Snisher's eye and the job. That 17 point thing is massive for them. They just want Keenum on steroids... a pocket QB who can make things happen. They believe Goff is that guy.

How can I know this? I don't, but deductive reasoning is a beautiful thing.

Few things.

1) Fisher's statements tend to give him away. When talking about Wentz, they were conciliatory. "Wentz will be a good player... he'll win Super Bowls". That's not what you say about someone you are going to take. He could say the same thing about Ezekiel Elliot, fer cryin' out loud. For it to mean something, it would have to be, "Wentz will be a good player...he's the type of player who would win us Super Bowls." Yuge difference. Fishers' statements regarding Goff, otoh, have been unequivocal.

2) After suffering with GRob and Quick, the draft philosophy has radically shifted to experience. You look at how much emphasis they place on experience now. So many thought Havenstein was a reach, but he gave up no sacks. Well, the experience isn't close. Games? Goff 37, Wentz 23. Granted Goff has 5 years in the system, but 23 games. They are drafting experience.

3) Fisher wanted to run a WCO, but didn't have the QB to do it and it was a disaster. Now, he's got this MacGyver'd offense that is an abomination in every sense of the word. I think he's looking at Goff as the QB who can run the WCO that he wants to run, a power running WCO variant that horizontally stretches the field. The horizontal stretch favors long runs by a home run hitting RB which, we happen to have one of the best in the entire NFL. It wouldn't surprise me at all if after drafting Goff, they create that power running WCO variant. Keenum might struggle with it, but it wouldn't be for Keenum.

4) Fisher is not tied to McNair as much as people think. He knows the magic of that offense was Eddie George and he has his Eddie George. Now, he has a chance to make a different choice and he's going to make it. McNair never got him over the hump.

I think when they are sitting there after the pick is announced, Fisher and Snead will be sitting there with big smiles and Goff will be there between them and they will let it be known after through surrogates that it wasn't as close as they let on.

It was always Goff for them.

All this build up was about helping the Networks, the NFL and building the LA Rams Brand. It wasn't, however, about choosing between Wentz and Goff.

It was always Goff.

I've been wrong before (Gerald McCoy comes to mind), but not terribly often. Pretty sure I've got this one right and for the right reasons.

I hope Goff becomes the QB this team needs.

mack trying the old - the rams never pick who i want so i will try to convince myself they're taking the player i don't want so they'll actually pick the player i do want - trick.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Like this?

Sorry, man, I had to do it.

I hear what you're saying, tho. If I thought a more accurate QB would improve Cook, I would have advocated for the Rams keeping him.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
mack trying the old - the rams never pick who i want so i will try to convince myself they're taking the player i don't want so they'll actually pick the player i do want - trick.

Dammit. I actually hadn't thought of that...

Actually, in the last 3 years, the Rams have drafted EXACTLY who I've wanted...

Which is why I'm so bummed...

Why U no listen to me no more, Rams?

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
What when West Coast offense are you talking a out? If you mean that season opening 4 game stretch a few years ago that looked good against Arizona and then fell apart, then it wasn't the WCO. That was Schotts dream idea of making the spread offense work in the NFL. I believe Schotts urging lead to drafting Tavon for such an offense similar to the one run at WVU.

Regarding the QBs, I believe what put Fisher over the top for Goff was the visit that it was raining hard and Goff was hitting receivers like it was a cool sunny day. Reports were that his accuracy was unbelievable in that session. The kind of workout that leaves a big impression.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Through the last college season I was all over the Goff bandwagon loving what he brings. Competitive, accurate good feet a great deep ball high football IQ and awareness.
Now we move to the top of the draft and I am certain we are going Wentz after all I have read and watched.
I have come to realize that whomever I have just read about or watched clips of is who I am in favor of. They both have such intriguing and different skill sets that sell me.
Whats in common Intelligence, competitiveness and likability.
I hope the Rams do better than me because after being willing to leverage the farm for Goff I am now very impressed with both.
Looking forward to our new era at QB and finally officially putting the Bradford experiment and subsequent aftermath behind.
Great write up Mac

fearsomefour

Legend
I don't have an a real strong feeling which way they will go....perhaps Ken O'Brien from UC Davis??

In all seriousness I am just glad there appears to be a future at the position.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I don't doubt it, Elm.

Thing is that they spent 3 years building this team to be this big, power running team and now they got a QB as if they're going to start throwing it all over the place.

I don't buy it and it doesn't fit. Moreover, unlike the hated Pats, this coaching crew doesn't seem to be able to adjust very well (at least on Offense) to personnel changes.

I dunno.

The draft will come. Roger will call Goff's name. I'll flip Roger off (cuz it's my ritual)...

Then I'll just...hope for the best.

But nothing about this...matches. And it's not just Goff. WR's don't match, the OL doesn't match, the TEs don't match. Quite literally...nothing matches.

But if we have success as the 2016 Los Angeles hobo Rams... then... I'll take it.

Just cuz I don't see a way forward doesn't mean it ain't there...

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

There's no way the Rams are gonna pick the guy that doesn't fit in what they want to do on offense. No way. They had a plan and the qb is the last piece of the puzzle.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
"the plan"?

I think his plan is to do what they did at the end of the year...but with Goff.

Now, they did win, but does anyone think that's sustainable? I dunno. I think the D can get a little better, but...

here's the thing that makes this CRYSTAL clear.

If the Rams were trying to trade up to #1 AT the Combine...it couldn't be Wentz because Wentz didn't really start to shine UNTIL the Combine. He really got Dallas' attention because of their week at the Senior Bowl, but I don't see that the Rams were paying much attention. However, once Wentz exploded onto the scene with his Combine and in the subsequent private workout, they had to keep looking. If Wentz at any time dropped the ball, he woulda just made it easy on them, but instead, he seems to have kept making it harder.

I'll say that the Rams probably went in thinking that Wentz would look okay. I think Wentz is going to come out having created some serious doubt in the building, but not enough to change their minds.

But there's no way that the Rams initiated a move to #1 AT the Combine for Carson Wentz...

Here's hoping that this Apple Dumpling Gang of a coaching staff can finally get this offense squared away, cuz frankly, it's been a frustrating mess for a very long time and it's not just a QB away. How many times did we all know the play coming? No QB could make a play when everyone's covered because the playcalling is more predictable than a politician lying. How many times did a dumb penalty put us in 3rd and long? How many times (insert problem with the offense here__________)?

I hope Goff is "The ANSWER" cuz he's going to need to be.

I have ZERO faith that Fisher can adapt to Goff's skills or develop Goff (we didn't see any development with Bradford, Austin Davis, or Case Keenum. If anything, there were moments of regression with each of them).

So I hope Goff's the answer. It'll be a lot more fun if he is.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"the plan"?

I think his plan is to do what they did at the end of the year...but with Goff.

Now, they did win, but does anyone think that's sustainable? I dunno. I think the D can get a little better, but...

here's the thing that makes this CRYSTAL clear.

If the Rams were trying to trade up to #1 AT the Combine...it couldn't be Wentz because Wentz didn't really start to shine UNTIL the Combine. He really got Dallas' attention because of their week at the Senior Bowl, but I don't see that the Rams were paying much attention. However, once Wentz exploded onto the scene with his Combine and in the subsequent private workout, they had to keep looking. If Wentz at any time dropped the ball, he woulda just made it easy on them, but instead, he seems to have kept making it harder.

I'll say that the Rams probably went in thinking that Wentz would look okay. I think Wentz is going to come out having created some serious doubt in the building, but not enough to change their minds.

But there's no way that the Rams initiated a move to #1 AT the Combine for Carson Wentz...

Here's hoping that this Apple Dumpling Gang of a coaching staff can finally get this offense squared away, cuz frankly, it's been a frustrating mess for a very long time and it's not just a QB away. How many times did we all know the play coming? No QB could make a play when everyone's covered because the playcalling is more predictable than a politician lying. How many times did a dumb penalty put us in 3rd and long? How many times (insert problem with the offense here__________)?

I hope Goff is "The ANSWER" cuz he's going to need to be.

I have ZERO faith that Fisher can adapt to Goff's skills or develop Goff (we didn't see any development with Bradford, Austin Davis, or Case Keenum. If anything, there were moments of regression with each of them).

So I hope Goff's the answer. It'll be a lot more fun if he is.

On the contrary, how many times did we see the wrs have two or three steps on a db going deep and the ball never got there or got there late? Receivers coming out of their break open but the ball only got there with the db on them like a fly on shit?

The Rams have wrs to make plays. They just need a qb to get them the ball on time.

I'm sure either of these two can do that.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, that will be Goff being "The Answer" if he hits all those WRs, but it won't change all the other things I mentioned.

No one will ever confuse a Fisher offense with Asshole Face's.

The offensive scheme is a mess.

Seriously, how did we all forget that in just a few short months???

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I still think it's Wentz.

God love ya, man.

I was super disappointed when I finally put it together. (Not because it's Goff)

I'll just slip into a more pollyanna-ish cheering mode once OTAs begin and I can just root for the team to be as good as it can be...