What I think is gonna happen

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not only that, but Wentz ran a power running WCO which is EXACTLY what Fisher wants to run!

Not really the point, tho. We can be as pro-Wentz as we want to be, but the pick is gonna be Goff for the reasons I laid out. Counterpoints can be valid and true and paramount. I really don't see them changing the minds of the decision makers.

As I said, I think based on deduction, Goff was the pick. I think Wentz is making it hard on them and he's especially got STRONG love in the building. I think he may even be more liked than Goff by the staff. That's quite possible because he's that kind of guy. He's the kind of guy who's going to win over the football people within minutes of walking into the room. And Fisher's a football guy, no doubt.

So why isn't he won over?

I dunno. To say McNair was developed as a QB is a bit of a misnomer. He wasn't developed much as a thrower. He learned how to play NFL football as a QB, but he didn't make the leap that guys like Ben Roethlisberger or Donovan McNabb did from more mobile QBs to more pocket passers. McNair's game was about being mobile until the end.

But I think Fisher thinks he developed him. (I think that's erroneous thinking)

Which I think frees him up to think he can develop a QB like Goff who's close, but needs more time and development and could be great. Not just good, but great.

The problem is that the Rams currently don't possess a coherent offensive system (the current system is a partial WCO with cobbled together elements of other systems to maximize Gurley. Basically, it's a mess, but Gurley's so awesome that he makes it work, if the defense is top 10) and Fisher and Co haven't developed a QB as a passer which is what will be needed in this instance. The experience of McNair won't apply here.

Wentz is a very linear plug and play player for the Rams.

I just think Fisher has other ideas.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I think the Rams are gong to play the type of O that we saw with the Redskins years ago and with the Cowboys when they were actually work a fuck back in the 90's. Power running, short passes mixed with deep passes. They have ALL the pieces in place except the guy to throw the ball.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I still think it's going to be Wentz and all this Goff stuff is fodder for the networks.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Think about it how many college QBs have been in a pro style WCO for 5 years? That's unheard of, the transition for Wentz will be nothing mentally. The speed of the game is what will be the transition.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Btw, EVERY tweet today from a talking head as well as Casserly's mock has Goff going #1. I think they're finding their way through the subterfuge.

When scouts argue "fit", there are arguments and differences.

When it's "who are the Rams going to take?"

It's Goff.

Edit:
View: http://twitter.com/dpbrugler/status/722569568883847169

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
I'm just saying what is.

If Fisher doesn't fix this offense, I might as well be announcing an impending disaster...

"oh look, tidal wave..."

Mackeyser

Name
Mack

ReddingRam

Hall of Fame
But ..... isn't it fair to conclude that if you get the guy who is perfect to run your system that the system will work? And I say this because, most experts say that in the NFL, Goff fits the WCO mold. Wentz more in the Zampeze/Earhardt type of downfield passing attack.

I'm thinking that either guy is going to be good for us. But the overall bust rate .... I think it gives Goff the edge by the fact of more experience and competition level faced.

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well sure.

Point being that the Rams tried to run the WCO and failed. Hard. It wasn't just the QB. The entire O just wasn't suited for it.

Now, all of a sudden Goff is gonna be the Golden Child and make everything sparkle? He's gonna make the WRs run the correct routes and make the TEs hold their blocks and all of them get separation and hold on to their catches?

The WCO didn't suit our personnel. So... we can trash our personnel or install an offense that suits our personnel. We have the PERFECT personnel for an Earhardt Perkins offense like what Pittsburgh runs. Moreover, it's ridiculously flexible and it requires a super heady QB which fits Wentz to a freakin' T.

But... Fisher's going to go BACK to the WCO with Goff.

I'm just shaking my head. Why? Even with a better QB, nothing ELSE changed. And after the losses, they ditched the strict WCO for a what I call a MacGyver'd WCO with other elements duct taped on just to survive.

It's a way to go, I guess... /shrug

RamzFanz

Damnit
Now, he has a chance to make a different choice and he's going to make it. McNair never got him over the hump.

Fisher went to and lost the superbowl to the GSOT by...what was it...inches? With a run first team? And who between Goff and Wentz fits a run first team? What is Fisher building now, run first or pass first?

Just sayin', sounds to me like you're trying to talk yourself into it. o_O

Fisher is ball control. Run out the clock. Run the ball. Playing smart and SNEAKY football.

That's Wentz in my book. (y)

NOW, if he were saddled with a team that was built for a different scheme (Bradford with no RB), he would embrace it, but the question is what has he built, and if he has built a team that matches his style, no?

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Name
Mack
Well, I know what *I* would do and why and I'd do it right quick.

Wentz and I'd go with Pittsburgh's version of the Earhardt Perkins offense. I'd try to hire whoever I had to to teach it.

I'm just going by the patterns I see.

I'm actually kinda demoralized by them, to be honest, but I have to be true to what I see. Otherwise, I'm just lying to myself...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't dispute any of that.

That said, does anyone think even Drew Brees would have fared THAT much better in the crapstorm of an "offense" that we put out there. I don't mean the players, I mean the coherent offensive philosophy that might be called a system with a goal in mind to score points.

Yes. Much much much much much better. Drew Brees would have had us in the playoffs with a chance at making the Super Bowl.

That dude made shit work in New Orleans when the OL sucked. He made shit work in New Orleans when his weapons were hurt or unproven. He'd have been great here. He would have made lemonade out of Britt, Austin, Cook, Kendricks, etc. as weapons. And with the running game and defense we had, we would have been set.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'd be all for it. He'd have the most immediate impact.

Not sure about that brother. Think a good DE is the best investment you can make for your club there at 4 because you can find backs later but high end pass rushers are a premium. While I'm not a fan of Bosa (think he's a LDE), they also have the choice of Buckner who is versatile and has immense ceiling, or Lawson, who I think is underrated and will be the best DE from this class.

A good pass rusher would help your defense immensely.