What happens if there isn't a dramatic improvement in Goff's play this coming season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Shoot me down for posing the question, but this thought has been bugging me and spinning 'round my head over the last couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed and I want him to do well this year and to improve every year, and reach the status of Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc, (Perennial Elite QB Status). By all accounts he's performing well this off-season, but doesn't every starter?

My question is, what happens if he still seems out of his depth on game day this year? And there is no improvement? Does he get benched, or do we plow on? And what would happen in next year's draft, do we look at drafting another QB or do we stick with our guy?

This isn't an anti-Goff post btw. I'm just interested in knowing what you guys think?

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
Shoot me down for posing the question, but this thought has been bugging me and spinning 'round my head over the last couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed and I want him to do well this year and to improve every year, and reach the status of Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc, (Perennial Elite QB Status). By all accounts he's performing well this off-season, but doesn't every starter?

My question is, what happens if he still seems out of his depth on game day this year? And there is no improvement? Does he get benched, or do we plow on? And what would happen in next year's draft, do we look at drafting another QB or do we stick with our guy?

This isn't an anti-Goff post btw. I'm just interested in knowing what you guys think?

I think that is the gazillion dollar question. I plan on being a little open-minded and having more confidence in his gameplay this upcoming season. I think its all or nothing from here; he succeeds then we got something to work with and move forward. If not FML, and its back to square 1.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Why even think such a thing?

I can't be bothered worrying about worst case scenarios.

This time of year I'm drinking the kool aid.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
30336372096_20a85deb56_b.jpg

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
Don't even worry about it, Goff will take a big step forward along with the rest of the offense now that he has some pieces around him and a more than competent coaching staff. Whitworth and Sullivan will solidify the line along with Everett, Kupp, and Reynolds opening up the passing game. The Front Office needs to be given some credit for the work they did in the off-season and who they were able to acquire with the limited number of draft picks.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well, the answer is simple... we'll struggle.

IF that were to happen, I'd stick it out with him... very little gets learned on the bench and his confidence would take a serious hit if they benched him.

Like many here have said... can't worry about things that haven't happened yet. I'm not drinking any kool-aid (Fisher tainted it too much for me) but I am going into the season with an open mind... something I haven't done in at least three years.

I'm guardedly excited! How's that for enthusiasm! :LOL:

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
basically for me ...its his rookie year (again) ...starter reps all through camp .. being prepped and treated like the starter ... if he struggles ? we stick with him ,,for me year three of Goff is where we ask this question

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I don't think he will, but if Goff struggles badly for most of the season, I think they make a change. Whether via trade, or another draft pick, I think McVay will want a competent signal caller sooner rather than later. We should know a LOT about Goff's future by week 8.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
What can I say?

I think we should consider him a rookie and judge him accordingly.

He's now in a good environment under McVay, including better and more user friendly WR's and TE's. So there is that.

I'm cautiously optimistic. By nature, I suppose.

But, as others have said, if Goff proves to not be a quality NFL QB, I have little doubt that McVay will find and develop one. It's the linchpin of his O, after all.

Bottom line is that we fans needn't worry. We will have our quality starting QB soon, one way or another.

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I agree with @den-the-coach I pray that it doesn't come to this and I don't think it will as I have a lot of faith in Goff improving and he's got a lot more God-given talent than Cousins does but if somehow he is just terrible this year and McVay thinks he is a lost cause we do everything in our power to get Cousins next year even though it may cost 30 mil a year I don't want to have to start over again with another rookie QB. But none of that is gonna happen because Goff is gonna tear it up this year and lead us to playoffs!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Apologies for the OP - it's not that I'm worried about it, it's just a scenario that I'm taking into this season with me, along with the 'We're definitely making the playoffs this year' thought - I like to have a balance, and unfortunately I'm a Rams fan - sh•t usually happens.

I think I'm with you @UKram - year 3 will be the make or break, 2 years in the same O-system, hopefully with the same coaching staff etc...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
What can I say?

...McVay will find and develop one. It's the linchpin of his O, after all...

This is what I'm hoping will happen, he will have enough time to have developed both Goff AND Mannion into QBs capable of delivering his offense.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Don't even worry about it, Goff will take a big step forward along with the rest of the offense now that he has some pieces around him and a more than competent coaching staff. Whitworth and Sullivan will solidify the line along with Everett, Kupp, and Reynolds opening up the passing game. The Front Office needs to be given some credit for the work they did in the off-season and who they were able to acquire with the limited number of draft picks.

Every time I read Sullivan I see

latest

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
Then you spend next offseason continuing to build around him and hope that, as often happens, his second year in this offensive system is better than his first.

You also draft a QB in rounds 2-4 to put some pressure on him and pull a guy hand-picked by this coaching staff onto the team. Let there be real competition in the 2018 preseason between the rookie, Goff and Mannion, with Goff having the benefit of the doubt.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I agree with @den-the-coach I pray that it doesn't come to this and I don't think it will as I have a lot of faith in Goff improving and he's got a lot more God-given talent than Cousins does but if somehow he is just terrible this year and McVay thinks he is a lost cause we do everything in our power to get Cousins next year even though it may cost 30 mil a year I don't want to have to start over again with another rookie QB. But none of that is gonna happen because Goff is gonna tear it up this year and lead us to playoffs!

I hope you're right, I didn't have faith in Goffs draft year QBs at all, but I think it comes down to coaching in the end and being able to develop the natural talent.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
sam-darnold-111216-getty-ftrjpg_mijepiab5n70z9ah7b41r4jj.jpg

GettyImages_610214672_4ogevgr5_298aoe0q.jpg
usatsi_9761630-e1493670669161.jpg

Mason+Rudolph+2vyk6gBORb5m.jpg

Choose one...no silly trade ups....no waiting around....whoever falls to us falls....

Oh, not your cup of tea? Find what you like in here\/

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/...top-100-prospects-in-the-2018-nfl-draft-1-20/

Nothing wrong with having a plan...for ANY and ALL circumstances....

Last edited:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

This ^ is a thought that hasn't even crossed my mind!
But, that said, should Goff get benched, because of poor performance, McVay will just Follow Coach Vermeil's example, and say " We will gather behind Sean Mannion, and we will Play Good Football!!" And then bring in a Old Vet QB for Back-Up!
Who can Tell what will happen in 2018!!!

Edit: Just don't forget, IT TOOK TROY AIKMAN 3 YEARS TO HAVE A WINNING SEASON!

Last edited:

Ram65

Legend
My question is, what happens if he still seems out of his depth on game day this year?

I don't see it happening but, early in the year it'a wait and see. Later in the year it's a big problem.

And there is no improvement? Does he get benched, or do we plow on?

He has to be benched @ some point if he isn't producing.

And what would happen in next year's draft, do we look at drafting another QB or do we stick with our guy?

Cousins has to be an option. Mannion gets a look so he could flash.The draft has some good QBs.

This is Goff's second year. Some hiccups will happen but, he should be ready. Every position should be evaluated on how they play. If Quinn can't play well and stay healthy he will be replace. Austin has to show he is worth his next years salary and so on. You can give a young QB that you invested draft capital a little more time to mature but, you have to have options.

Last edited:

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
I would count Cousins out as an option; IF he hits the open market next year, he's probably going to San Francisco to play for Kyle Shanahan.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
What happens if there is not dramatic improvement with Goff?

Me;
fd2cd5de56192bdf1ca639bb4570828f_5908.gif