What happens if there isn't a dramatic improvement in Goff's play this coming season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What happens?
Well first there will be

raw

And then

b857474c712893a40f0b430176f871bc.gif

WestCoastRam

Legend
Well, the way I look at it: There's a lot contained in "dramatic improvement."

1) Goff shows exactly what he shows last year, no improvement.
- You gotta bench him and start Mannion and you're almost guaranteed to be looking for a new QB

2) Goff shows dramatic improvement.
- He continues to start, we all look towards the playoffs and this board becomes 50% less interesting with people being so nice to each other.

3) Goff shows a modicum of improvement.
- The most likely scenario. "Modicum" is a wide swath too but I think you stick with him as long as you gage that that improvement can continue and that he doesn't hit a plateau in the season. If he can show more ability to command an NFL offense, better ball security (both fumbling and interceptions), better reads, more accuracy, quicker decision making. If he shows improvement in each of these areas, I think you keep going. The question becomes, what if he only shows some improvements in some of these areas. (We prob would still stick with him for one more year but you better believe we'd draft another QB for McVay to develop and carry 3 into the next season).

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
McVays system (Anti-Jeff Fisher) will help Goff ----Three-step, controlled passing -The ball comes out quickly and it’s really hard to get to the quarterback. It’s based on a quick read and the ball’s out quick.Goff shows "dramatic improvement."

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Goff struggles early you can be sure Mannion will get a shot at starting. He is the backup and he really hasn't had an opportunity to play or start. Personally, I'd like to see them give Mannion a start in a regular season game just to see how he does.

In any case, McVay and the Rams won't search for another QB until they are sure what they have in Mannion.

Just curious how long you have been a Rams fan ?? I think there is no way in heck I want to see Mannion as The Rams QB.

I was thinking in another article , maybe on this post who Goff reminds me of from a QB of the past.

My answer is Joe Montana, & the reason why was the way he can throw off his back foot & all the angles he can throw off.
My real vision was Montanas last game with the Fighting Irish.He runs out off bounce like the old QB's.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Shoot me down for posing the question, but this thought has been bugging me and spinning 'round my head over the last couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed and I want him to do well this year and to improve every year, and reach the status of Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc, (Perennial Elite QB Status). By all accounts he's performing well this off-season, but doesn't every starter?

My question is, what happens if he still seems out of his depth on game day this year? And there is no improvement? Does he get benched, or do we plow on? And what would happen in next year's draft, do we look at drafting another QB or do we stick with our guy?

This isn't an anti-Goff post btw. I'm just interested in knowing what you guys think?

What do you think the answer is ??

You have to know Goff is staying put as a Ram.

Mannion is different though. If you are thinking like that then why not ask the question if Goff has a career ending injury or has a career list of injuries like Sam Bradford ??

Back to the question though is he will get benched. If Goff gets out played hugely Mannion will get the start. McVay is a QB coach at heart.
The same question was answered with RG111.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What do you think the answer is ??

You have to know Goff is staying put as a Ram.

Mannion is different though. If you are thinking like that then why not ask the question if Goff has a career ending injury or has a career list of injuries like Sam Bradford ??

Back to the question though is he will get benched. If Goff gets out played hugely Mannion will get the start. McVay is a QB coach at heart.
The same question was answered with RG111.

I think McVay won't worry about benching Goff IF he still seems overwhelmed on game day. He will want the best player on the playing field. IF that happens to be Mannion then so be it. I can't wait until pre-season, I want the Rams to attack pre-season, not the vanilla starts we've been subjected to in the past few years. I want the rust to be shaken free before week 1 and I want to see a VAST improvement from the QB position, O-line, RB and WRs - I also want to see how we work in Rogers at FB

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I am holding judgement until halfway into the season. I believe in McVay's ability to guide a young QB. The significant visual that disturbed me about Goff last year was how he fell apart on a few plays, some of which resulted in ugly turnovers. I know that his Oline sucked (bye GRob), and his WR's couldn't run routes to save their lives and when the ball came to them on crucial first down attempts, they dropped the d@mn thing. BUT, even as a young QB, he should have more awareness than he showed in tough situations.

Having said all of that, I expect to see massive improvement and look forward to seeing Goff 2.0!

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I am holding judgement until halfway into the season. I believe in McVay's ability to guide a young QB. The significant visual that disturbed me about Goff last year was how he fell apart on a few plays, some of which resulted in ugly turnovers. I know that his Oline sucked (bye GRob), and his WR's couldn't run routes to save their lives and when the ball came to them on crucial first down attempts, they dropped the d@mn thing. BUT, even as a young QB, he should have more awareness than he showed in tough situations.

Having said all of that, I expect to see massive improvement and look forward to seeing Goff 2.0!

There were a few rabbit in the headlight moments that just made him look like a kid out there. I hope that atlas has gone this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think McVay won't worry about benching Goff IF he still seems overwhelmed on game day. He will want the best player on the playing field. IF that happens to be Mannion then so be it. I can't wait until pre-season, I want the Rams to attack pre-season, not the vanilla starts we've been subjected to in the past few years. I want the rust to be shaken free before week 1 and I want to see a VAST improvement from the QB position, O-line, RB and WRs - I also want to see how we work in Rogers at FB

So real true about the preseason.Spags did the same thing with Bulger. Then Bradford: You have to compete. You make a team have to stop you.You can't just think You can just walk through a play , McVay is about running through a play to perfection.

Confidence plays a big part of it . It's not just about the Coaching B it is about The Rams as a team

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
So real true about the preseason.Spags did the same thing with Bulger. Then Bradford: You have to compete. You make a team have to stop you.You can't just think You can just walk through a play , McVay is about running through a play to perfection.

Confidence plays a big part of it . It's not just about the Coaching B it is about The Rams as a team
Our team is young, winning gives you a buzz, I want to see Goff complete big passes, I want to see all of our TEs and WRs get the ball, I want to see big runs from Gurley and I want the O-line to start to gel. That's 4 games where they could really be playing for 3 quarters each week, then mix in some backups and fringe players in the final quarter. I'd even give Mannion some playtime in the final quarter so that he gets comfortable out there too.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
So Ram, To answer your question, I've been a Ram fan over 50 years.

Question for you. How can you write off Mannion when the guy hasn't started a regular season game? No one has any idea of what he's learned or how much he's improved in the 3 years he's sat on the bench.

I want to see Mannion with the first string for at least a whole half against against another teams starters before I make any judgements.

A lot of folks here have Mannion as nothing more than a slow footed backup without ever seeing what he's capable of. They may be right.

We'll know more after a couple of pre season games.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
If Goff fails. Which I don't believe will happen for one second.
You should do what you always should do. Keep building the infrastructure around the QB on offense.
Keep building the defense as best you can.
Find the best coaches that you can.
Find the best Scouts that you can and continue trying to develop a quarterback and have the best one playing possible.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
If Goff fails. Which I don't believe will happen for one second.
You should do what you always should do. Keep building the infrastructure around the QB on offense.
Keep building the defense as best you can.
Find the best coaches that you can.
Find the best Scouts that you can and continue trying to develop a quarterback and have the best one playing possible.

So keep improving around Goff?