What happens if there isn't a dramatic improvement in Goff's play this coming season?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
What happens if there is not dramatic improvement with Goff?

Me;
fd2cd5de56192bdf1ca639bb4570828f_5908.gif
Liar! Liar! No you won't/ can't!! You have too many responsibilities around here!!:D

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For me it starts in the preseason I really feel like he has to step up in preseason and make some big plays and WIN a game the kid has to get a win idc if it's just preseason but he has to play and start showing some of that promise because if he gets outplayed by Mannion or just stumble along in the preseason the vultures are going to be circling and all that off the field noise is going to be a big distraction for a young qb

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If Goff struggles early you can be sure Mannion will get a shot at starting. He is the backup and he really hasn't had an opportunity to play or start. Personally, I'd like to see them give Mannion a start in a regular season game just to see how he does.

In any case, McVay and the Rams won't search for another QB until they are sure what they have in Mannion.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I am hopeful he gets better but I am cautious about the season in general.

I'm in the 6-10, 7-9 range for record.

I think Goff and Mannion get tons of reps in camp and expect both to be better.

I can't wait to see Mannion in some quality playing time in pre-season. I think the offense fits him too. He's about to start his 3rd camp in a pro style offense.

That has to help.

Or, that playing time will show that he's not a quality back up and spot starter and prospect to be a #1....this year shows more about Mannion's development, IMO.

But with all that said, I will not be ready to dump Goff until year 3 if improvement is not shown.

leoram

LA/St Louis/LA fan
Let's not forget the money factor. QB's don't normally develop in the NFL for a few years. But if you have to wrap up big ducks in a QB, it compromises other improvements that can build the rest of the team.

Having a competent offense that truly accentuates each player's skill set will absolutely improve the QB's performance. A better OLine will make a world of difference. Stop all the dropped passes and the percentages get better immediately.

I go back to when the Ram OLine started having injuries and Warner battled a bum thumb. So he goes to the Giants with an awful OLine and suddenly Warner is turnover prone? He goes to AZ with the worst OLine in the NFL, and pundits act like he's washed up. Then Russ Grimm builds the line and the Cards have Boldin and Fitz and suddenly Kurt REMEMBERS how to play the game??!!! Hey, Andrew Luck had terrible stats for a couple years when the injuries mounted. Should they have given up on him?

Only McVay can properly evaluate whether or not Goff can be the man. But from a financial standpoint, replacing him with anyone other than Mannion should be the last resort.

Last edited:

Snaz

Pro Bowler
Name
Shawn
Last year we expected a 10+ win season, so did Fish. (Famous Quote) Well he was right, 4-12 was none of the things he said he was not going to accept.

How can a team with better coaching, similar/better personal be expected to perform less than they were expected the year before.

A couple of defensive stops, game ending interceptions eliminated, the Rams could have had a much better record.

They were almost 5-2, could have beaten the Dolphins, Giants, and should have beaten the Saints, that second half meltdown... So they probably had the potential for 8-8 or 9-7 last year.

Expectations should equal or exceed that.

MauiRam

Rookie
Shoot me down for posing the question, but this thought has been bugging me and spinning 'round my head over the last couple of days. Don't get me wrong, I want him to succeed and I want him to do well this year and to improve every year, and reach the status of Brady, Rodgers, Brees etc, (Perennial Elite QB Status). By all accounts he's performing well this off-season, but doesn't every starter?

My question is, what happens if he still seems out of his depth on game day this year? And there is no improvement? Does he get benched, or do we plow on? And what would happen in next year's draft, do we look at drafting another QB or do we stick with our guy?

This isn't an anti-Goff post btw. I'm just interested in knowing what you guys think?

If Jared's confidence has not been shattered as a result of the beatings he took last year, I am sure he will do well - learning a new offense notwithstanding. I do believe that McVay will design plays that utilize Jared's strengths which should help tremendously. Goff didn't have much support last year from coaching or his receivers, let alone the O-line.

Goff is the starter on a team with a new coaching staff and multiple new starters on offense. There will likely be some hiccups early on until all the new parts mesh, but Jared is the starter and will finish the season as such barring injury. No way will the rug be pulled on Goff without at least one or (more likely) two full seasons at the helm. Jared improved every year in his college career, and I expect more of the same in the NFL.

I really believe Goff will be better this year. There will be some rough moments; he’s going to get sacked and intercepted over the course of the season. That said, how the team as a whole including our new coaching staff responds to such adversities is the key. The entire team needs to get better, it isn't all on Goff. It is easy to single out the quarterback, but in reality, football is a team sport. I personally will be surprised if at season's end we are not significantly better. McVay and the whole "we not me" collective mindset is a solid platform for this team to achieve success.

To answer your question "what if"- I say we cross that bridge if it becomes necessary, until then, 100% of our energy should go toward "dancing with the girl we brung."

You want a prediction from this fan? Okay, I predict that Sean McVay will not lose his "challenge flag" one time this season. Right there is an improvement - right?

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Or, that playing time will show that he's not a quality back up and spot starter and prospect to be a #1....this year shows more about Mannion's development, IMO.
Never thought of this.....If Mannion isn't looking remarkably improved....and I'm looking for some downfield throws...I'd say that ship has sailed as an NFL starter...he's been in the league 3 years...we need a backup that can make something happen...Good things.

Personally, I'm guessing he's like he was at Oregon St. his senior year...

QB's don't normally develop in the NFL for a few years.
What? Why would you say this in the new NFL? 2017. Take a look at Oakland, Tennessee, Tampa, Miami, Cleveland (Cody Kessler was statistically better than Goff....let that sink in), and Philly....Young QB's...hell Seattle too...QB's have been playing 7-on-7, in passing camps, working with throwing coaches since 9 or 10...it's not the same if you have a real one...A real QB.
I would doubt Deshawn Watson, and Desean Kizer come in slinging the rock too.

If Jared's confidence has not been shattered as a result of the beatings he took last year, I am sure he will do well - learning a new offense notwithstanding.
What?!? He was hit some...no doubt...a lot at his own doing....but he can easily regain faith in the line, offense...and weapons. If his confidence is shattered...we drafted the wrong guy.

1. As Wentz and Goff both demonstrated, rookie quarterbacks typically endure growing pains. But unlike Wentz, Goff didn't have even a brief flash of brilliance in 2016.

The alarms were blaring before he took his first regular-season snap. Goff completed just 44.9 percent of his preseason passes, which often came against second- and third-team scrubs. He couldn't beat out Case Keenum for the starting job. Keenum went on to throw 10 interceptions over the Rams' first seven games.

When the Rams finally gave in and started Goff, he was often under immense pressure while playing behind a poor offensive line. The 22-year-old was sacked 26 times over only seven starts. L.A. signed left tackle Andrew Whitworth this offseason, which should provide Goff with better protection this season.

Even when Goff had time to scan the field and throw, Football Outsiders rated him as the worst performer without pressure since 2010, ranking lower than the likes of Brady Quinn, Blaine Gabbert and Christian Ponder. Barring drastic improvement this season, that casts serious doubt over his NFL future.

Prediction:
    Bust
http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...sappointing-2016-nfl-rookies-will-bounce-back

No way to really tell....but the eye test rarely lies....:sneaky:

Last edited:

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Goff is bad enough that this becomes a question, I think we'll be picking high enough in the draft to answer that question.

With the contracts the way they are, no harm in having two first round QBs on the roster. Have to get that position right.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
If he stinks, you determine why he stinks. Is he just not getting it yet, is it scheme, is it personnel around him? If its that he just stinks, then you go into the 2018 offseason with the goal of acquiring a QB1 and begin to cut your losses. Then you hope that you acquire a new QB1 and all of sudden the flip switches for Goff and we have 2 QB1s - like happened to San Diego with Brees and Rivers.

psxpaul

Rookie
Name
Paul
Goff playing bad for 16 games would suck, but it could be worse.

He sucks for 12 games, and plays fantastic for 4 games. They won't give him the axe if there are enough bright spots in 2017, but what if he's the next Rex Grossman? We'd probably be having this same discussion in 2018.

He gets hurt and goes on IR. A lot of people would want to give him another shot in 2018, but I imagine it would be another huge debate.

Mannion outplays him in limited action. Just 3 or 4 decent games out of your backup can spark a qb controversy. An a lot of times the backup gets exposed later (see Austin Davis).

Obviously, I hope Goff plays well and is the starter for the next 10+ years, but if he's a bust, I'd rather find out sooner than later. The worst thing in the world is to have him turn out to be a fringe starter that teases us and wastes the next 4 seasons.