what color is is ball?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
That's fine. Not selling anything. I see a color difference, you don't. I appreciate a simple answer to a simple question.
I do. I chalk it up to photography and the natural phenomenon of shading and lighting that occurs in still photos. My Dad is a gifted photographer. I've learned a few things over the years.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I do. I chalk it up to photography and the natural phenomenon of shading and lighting that occurs in still photos. My Dad is a gifted photographer. I've learned a few things over the years.
I understand. I am not gifted, but I've shot NFL and college games (the first in 1993, the Leon Lett game in Irving). . .and I've got some basic knowledge of photography.

Not saying I am a professional, but even accounting for all of that, I see a difference in the color, you don't and that's fair enough.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
You should probably change your question. You asked "What color is the ball?" If you want to play semantics you should be asking "What color does the ball look like?" The answer to the latter is that the Pats ball looks darker than the other lighter brown ball. As far as the question of the former, I am not ready to admit definitively that the ball is in fact darker. But I can admit that it definitely looks like the Pats have a darker brown.

Now I ask, why did you ask this question? (A few of us would definitely like to know)

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
You should probably change your question. You asked "What color is the ball?" If you want to play semantics you should be asking "What color does the ball look like?" The answer to the latter is that the Pats ball looks darker than the other lighter brown ball. As far as the question of the former, I am not ready to admit definitively that the ball is in fact darker. But I can admit that it definitely looks like the Pats have a darker brown.

Now I ask, why did you ask this question? (A few of us would definitely like to know)

Okay, so the question wasn't specific enough? I wasn't trying to fool anyone. Just trying to gage what people saw. Wasn't asking for explanations, wasn't looking to forwarding any conspiracy theory, just wanting to see if others saw that I saw.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
No i do see a difference in color, but i believe it's due to the reasons I've explained. Twice. Lol
So you say it's 100% lighting differences or photography differences. Another posted went with that but then changed his mind to it being Brady liking more-used and more broken-in balls. But I get it, you are saying they are the same color, but APPEAR different because of
"natural phenomenon of shading and lighting that occurs in still photos". And that's fine, just try not to change mid-stream if that is shown not to be a plausible explanation. Fair enough?

bluecoconuts

Legend
You can just say my name, its not like it's a big secret. I didn't change my mind either, I offered up potential explanations as to why the footballs look to be so different. It can be a combination of things, doesn't need to be black and white.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
WTP-copy.jpg

Pancake

Hall of Fame
Name
Ernie
I think if you know a little bit about lightroom or photoshop you can make the ball whatever shade you want and it's not that easy to tell the photo was altered.

Austin+Davis+Minnesota+Vikings+v+St+Louis+_GvnqS-xeNgl.jpg
ball2.jpg

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I had literally never heard of that game before and had to look it up.

Is there a full-contact version?

Forgot to think that it may have been a UK based sport!

Being hit by a conker, hurts like hell, I'm not signing up for the full contact conked league!

Stupidly, its now banned in many schools due to health and safety issues. apparently kids with nut allergies etc!! Some schools make the children wear protective goggles too... it's seriously disturbing...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Forgot to think that it may have been a UK based sport!

Being hit by a conker, hurts like hell, I'm not signing up for the full contact conked league!

Stupidly, its now banned in many schools due to health and safety issues. apparently kids with nut allergies etc!! Some schools make the children wear protective goggles too... it's seriously disturbing...
Yeah, that's messed up. I remember playing dodge-ball as an organized activity in school.
A few whiny bitch-made parents took care of that problem though.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
Yeah, that's messed up. I remember playing dodge-ball as an organized activity in school.
A few whiny bitch-made parents took care of that problem though.

Yeh, we used to play a game called 'Bulldog' which was similar to a pass-rush on a QB / Fightclub frenzy and the aim of the game is for the guy / girl in the middle to bring down as many of the on-rushing kids as possible, by any means possible. Apparently it was too violent/aggressive, what the parents didn't get was that everyone used to play, boys, girls, popular kids, unpopular kids, and it used to build team bonding as well as get rid of copious amounts of energy and frustration that all kids have!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
In the pictures, it doesn't look like they are, they look older. However there is no rule about that, in fact the only balls that have to be brand new is the 12 footballs that are used in the kicking game. I don't see what the issue is. Teams get to practice with the footballs that they will be using during the game, and get them how they want them to be. This is because in the past the footballs used to come right out of the box to the officials, and it was their job to break them in a bit, get the film off the ball (which is reddish and makes the football lighter), which they did a poor job. So a little over 10 years ago, they decided to allow teams to practice with the footballs that they were going to use during the games, so QB's can get them how they like them.

Brady probably likes them more broken in, so they probably have someone who really rubs them down. Rodgers probably likes them newer (they did say he loves to have them very inflated, as it makes it easier to throw them hard) ones, and thus doesn't break them in as much.

So I'm just not seeing the issue here.

The leather is treated with leather oil and it turns the ball red, as that wears off the ball becomes lighter in color, not darker. For the ball to get darker it has to be dirty or have a substance on it. Stickem or pine tar would color the ball black. Dilute the pine tar with turpentine and it will soak into the leather making it more tactile. Then it is easier to hold onto. Otherwise raw worn leather is tan.

The whole idea hat the ball deflation and now this doctoring being debunked because Belicheck benches players who fumble is ludicrous. Lots of coaches do that and their teams do not have impossibly low fumble rates.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Okay, so the question wasn't specific enough? I wasn't trying to fool anyone. Just trying to gage what people saw. Wasn't asking for explanations, wasn't looking to forwarding any conspiracy theory, just wanting to see if others saw that I saw.
Well it looks darker. Do you have a point or did you simply not trust your own eyes and need a second opinion?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
Still waiting for the point of this thread to make an appearance. Honestly, if the only reason for the thread is to get everyone's opinion on a shade of brown, I would think it should be deleted or moved to off topic. That's just my opinion of course, and I am not trying to do the moderators job in any way. At this point, the joke is on us.

Blue and Gold

Pro Bowler
Name
B and G
The leather is treated with leather oil and it turns the ball red, as that wears off the ball becomes lighter in color, not darker. For the ball to get darker it has to be dirty or have a substance on it. Stickem or pine tar would color the ball black. Dilute the pine tar with turpentine and it will soak into the leather making it more tactile. Then it is easier to hold onto. Otherwise raw worn leather is tan.

The whole idea hat the ball deflation and now this doctoring being debunked because Belicheck benches players who fumble is ludicrous. Lots of coaches do that and their teams do not have impossibly low fumble rates.
Excellent analysis.

Status
Not open for further replies.