What are realistic expectations for Jared Goff in Year 2?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Two things... First, ESPN hasn't given the Rams their own little beat reporter?

Also what amazing insight...
"He sucked last year, but I think he'll improve this year."

If my students gave me that answer to that question I'd fail them. The question was realistic expectations for year 2, not what happened last year with some generic thought about the next.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Jared Goff "potential"
1.Superior pocket presence (Bradford sucks)
2. Shows outstanding accuracy on “bucket” throws down the field. Can drop it in with touch
3.Makes incredible throws with defenders bearing down on him. Fearless in the pocket (Bradford sucks)
4.Showed well both under pressure and against the blitz (Bradford sucks)

Goff has the tools to succeed as a starting ALL-Pro QB

WestCoastRam

Legend
"Realistically"

59 percent passer rating, 2,900 yards 14 TDs 18 INTs and a bump two or three yards per attempt.

I think realistically it makes sense to think he'll turn in a below average season which would be a real improvement from how he played last year. Anything above that would be gravy. I'm not making the argument that he's a bust but if Goff does succeed as an NFL QB I think we'll see a season like this on his way to continued improvement.

One thing with Jared though, we have to keep an eye on the fumbles...

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Also what amazing insight...
I personally don't think "he sucked" last year, professor.

He was thrown into an impossible situation and never pointed the finger at anybody else.
To me that is a sign of someone who is mentally strong.
That mental strength bodes well for his entire career in my opinion.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I personally don't think "he sucked" last year, professor.

He was thrown into an impossible situation and never pointed the finger at anybody else.
To me that is a sign of someone who is mentally strong.
That mental strength bodes well for his entire career in my opinion.

I'm just cutting down their paragraph into what they are saying, I don't necessarily agree with any of them. More pointing out that they got paid to write essentially nothing.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jared Goff "potential"
1.Superior pocket presence (Bradford sucks)
2. Shows outstanding accuracy on “bucket” throws down the field. Can drop it in with touch
3.Makes incredible throws with defenders bearing down on him. Fearless in the pocket (Bradford sucks)
4.Showed well both under pressure and against the blitz (Bradford sucks)

Goff has the tools to succeed as a starting ALL-Pro QB

Lol Goff didn't show any of that last year. He probably show more this year but to say he showed well under pressure and against the blitz is plain wrong. He was lost confused and just pad under those circumstances. From taking sacks to fumbling to throwing picks.

Goff pocket awareness was atrocious last year and that goes back to him not knowing how to read defenses. Bradford pocket awareness was and is much better. You get scrambling confused with pocket awareness.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Realistically"

59 percent passer rating, 2,900 yards 14 TDs 18 INTs and a bump two or three yards per attempt.

I think realistically it makes sense to think he'll turn in a below average season which would be a real improvement from how he played last year. Anything above that would be gravy. I'm not making the argument that he's a bust but if Goff does succeed as an NFL QB I think we'll see a season like this on his way to continued improvement.

I completely agree and to me that is realistic. The fumbles are my main concern too.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Lol Goff didn't show any of that last year. He probably show more this year but to say he showed well under pressure and against the blitz is plain wrong. He was lost confused and just pad under those circumstances. From taking sacks to fumbling to throwing picks.

Goff pocket awareness was atrocious last year and that goes back to him not knowing how to read defenses. Bradford pocket awareness was and is much better. You get scrambling confused with pocket awareness.
I was talking about Goff's (college career) -"future" ALL-Pro NFL potential

Last edited:

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
Goff projected 2017 # 66 percent passer rating, 4000 Yrds, 25 Tds, 8 Ints .Give credit to Sean McVays genius vs Jeff Fishers (offensive philosophy) incompetence.

Last edited:

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
From the Seattle guy...."It’s completely fair to point out that Goff wasn’t given a ton of help from the coaching staff or his supporting cast, but at no time last season did he look the part of a No. 1 overall pick."

Isn't that kinda the point? He wasn't given a ton of help from the coaching staff or his supporting cast. So how could he expect to 'look the part of a #1 pick'? Except there was one time he looked the part. End of the first half vs the Saints and that was just his second game.

He's going to improve because, like they said, there's no where to go but up. Under a competent offensive coaching staff, with more weapons and a half season of experience under his belt, he'll be better. It's also fair to expect the improvement to accelerate as the season goes on.

He's a legit #1 pick. Anybody remember how lost Eli Manning looked in 2004? How he turn out?
I am hoping for this

WestCoastRam

Legend
Also, I'd like to see Goff cut down on throwing above receivers (believe this has to do with his drop back mechanics), I do not realistically think he will get rid of this problem all together this year but he should be able to cut down on it by half.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
I think Goff will improve greatly, every change has pointed to improvement for him and the offense in general. I'm not expecting a monumental leap this year though, statistically in the 20-13 range. The following year is where I expect Goff to enter top 10.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
"Realistically"

did you get the memo that jeff fisher and his cronies are outta here?

i know this - mcvay will put goff in a position to succeed, unlike fisher who put him in a position to fail. i don't see him throwing more ints than tds.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I keep telling everyone. " Don't worry about Goff!" .. Look Back at other Great QB's who had Crappy starts ( 1st 2 or 3 years of their Careers! Check out the Links I'll supply!
** Troy Aikman:
1989 = 1-11-0
1990 = 7-9-0
1991 = 9-7-0
www.nfl.com/player/troyaikman/2499369/careerstats

Click on 'Game logs' and you can check each year he played!

Same thing for ....
** Brett Favre:
1991 = 1-2 ( w/ Atlanta)
1992 = 9-7 ( w/ Green Bay)
1993 = 9-7
www.nfl.com/player/brettfavre/2500606/careerstats

Same thing, Go to 'Game Logs' and check out each of his years!!

Neither one of the QB's had GREAT begining's to their careers, Troy got Beat-up and Brett looked foolish a lot of the time! They both turned out pretty good in the end!

WestCoastRam

Legend
did you get the memo that jeff fisher and his cronies are outta here?

i know this - mcvay will put goff in a position to succeed, unlike fisher who put him in a position to fail. i don't see him throwing more ints than tds.

From your lips to god's ears. Let's cure some kids while we're at it too, heh!

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
@DaveFan'51 TroyAikman actually was 0-11 in his rookie year. But great call. That okie/Ucla kid ended up ok huh??

My realistic expectation
3,762 yards 24td 17int

@Dxmissile is correct. The fumbles have got to stop.