Westbrooks' Tattoo On His Face - To Keep Himself From Ever Getting A Normal Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Psycho_X

Legend
Someone with law enforcement ties was telling me that the face tattoo was potentially a gang related thing and the one on his neck and chest related to location and type of gang one is affiliated to? Now I know nothing about gangs or their signs so no idea if this is true. I hope it isn't as that would be quite the red flag, Aaron Hernandez anyone?,

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Someone with law enforcement ties was telling me that the face tattoo was potentially a gang related thing and the one on his neck and chest related to location and type of gang one is affiliated to? Now I know nothing about gangs or their signs so no idea if this is true. I hope it isn't as that would be quite the red flag, Aaron Hernandez anyone?,

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
As someone who is less than 10 years removed from the college bar scene, there must be a lot of native American rednecks in the navy!

When I was in they seemed to be standard issue girl tats. As well as the Navy-issued ass. Or do they still have that joke?

(For those not in, Navy-issue ass was a joke on all the large rear ends in the service.)

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
As someone who is less than 10 years removed from the college bar scene, there must be a lot of native American rednecks in the navy!

Really?? I'll take your word for it. The tattoos I always see women with are, fairies, stars, hearts, tribal bands and tribal bands with a combination of fairies, hearts or stars. The tribal bands have lost a lot of popularity...

On topic. The guy is a idiot. Good thing he can play.

wrstdude

Rookie
I'm a tattoo Nazi always have been, once a pretty little lady (too young for me) was telling me about this tat she had in an intimate place,I asked her why she didn't put it on her face,she said it would be " gross" I agreed and told her we both saw them as gross I just drew my line a little ahead of hers. She had no idea how to respond, but it did put an end to her flirting so that was a OK with me,she worked for a customer.
That said, I see a lot of people I respect and like getting them and I want one once in a while just for the hell of it,so I DO understand that not ONLY objectionable people want and get tats ,they are a fad I expect will fall from favor someday ( if they don't no big I been wrong before)
I don't think Ethans plan will work tats are so common now IMO he'll still be able to get jobs, it's not like the message is some vile disgusting thing ,it can be spun as positive.

Taking cover now that i let my keyboard overload me bum :whistle:
Tattoos have literally been around for thousands of years. That's not a fad.

iced

Really?? I'll take your word for it. The tattoos I always see women with are, fairies, stars, hearts, tribal bands and tribal bands with a combination of fairies, hearts or stars. The tribal bands have lost a lot of popularity...

On topic. The guy is a idiot. Good thing he can play.

Flowers and butterflies - those are the most common non-tramp stamp tats i've seen women with

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
Just my personal opinion, but I think if he invests wisely, he should be set up pretty good financially if he has a decent 5+ year career in the NFL.

No I agree - its an opportunity we'd all kill for! But the reality is they don't all make good long term financial decisions. And even then luck plays a part.

Psycho_X

Legend

Not jumping to conclusions just going off what I was told. The laugh now, cry later is a very common gang tattoo. I have no idea if he is/was or isn't/wasn't involved in such things but some would take it as meaning that. Hopefully he just chose poorly and the toys r us story isn't just a convenient story to tell about why he has it instead of the truth. Most draft guides did have him red flagged for possible character problems because of his tattoos. I'm sure an agent would want him coached and ready to explain them in a nice manner before he ever stepped into a team interview leading into the draft. Again, not accusing the kid of anything but there is a concern.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Not jumping to conclusions just going off what I was told. The laugh now, cry later is a very common gang tattoo. I have no idea if he is/was or isn't/wasn't involved in such things but some would take it as meaning that. Hopefully he just chose poorly and the toys r us story isn't just a convenient story to tell about why he has it instead of the truth. Most draft guides did have him red flagged for possible character problems because of his tattoos. I'm sure an agent would want him coached and ready to explain them in a nice manner before he ever stepped into a team interview leading into the draft. Again, not accusing the kid of anything but there is a concern.

I really don't think there is a concern. Tattoos featuring phrases like that have become so incorporated into pop culture that it suggests gang affiliation as much as it would if he were at a night club wearing a red t-shirt.

From all the interviews I've seen/heard, it's pretty apparent that Westbrooks has a good head on his shoulders, despite this questionable decisions. Working at Toys R Us, going to college and hoping to finish his degree with a hopeful career in nursing if his football career doesn't work out doesn't scream Aaron Hernandez to me.

But, a young black man with a face tattoo is always going to cause some to jump to conclusions. If that kept other suitors away during the draft process, I'm glad as he looks like he'll be a valuable part of our D-Line rotation in the future.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
I can appreciate the "every time i look in the mirror I'm reminded of my goal" aspect to this story. I had very long hair and considered it my source of power. It's funny in a professional based business, my coworkers would often claim, that dude get's away with the long hair, because he's Extremely good at what he does. I'd have long hair to this day, if I didn't run into a substance abuse problem with the white stuff. Got to partying too hard in my early 30's, and would fall off the wagon for that shit. Every time I blew my entire bank account on a bender, and didn't know who the fuck the people I was hanging out with were at the end of it, I'd promise myself that was the last time.I'd go 3 months, 3 days, 7 months, 1 month.

I chopped my Sampson locks the last time I ever touched it. Shaved my head bald. Every time I looked in the mirror I remembered my goal. Haven't relapsed in over 12 years.
Whatever it takes, no one can help you achieve a goal but yourself. You have to reach rock bottom sometimes, and decide, I can do better for myself.

The guy accomplished a lifelong dream making a 53 man roster in the NFL. And really, there was no doubt he was going to make the team.
I hope he finds sustained success, and gets the face tat removed.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Tattoos have literally been around for thousands of years. That's not a fad.
they have but their popularity has ebbed and flowed in our society and are pop culture manifestations which changes,IMO the impetus behind the current resurgence is traceable to gangs and the exporting of prison culture to the streets ,they are though one of the more innocuous examples.
that's why I say they are fad

Wiki

A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed enthusiastically for a period of time, generally as a result of the behavior being perceived as popular by one's peers or being deemed "cool" by social media.[1] A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone.[1]

The specific nature of the behavior associated with a fad can be of any type including language usage, apparel, financial investment and even food. Apart from general novelty, fads may be driven by mass media programming, emotional excitement, peer pressure, or the desire of "being hip

RamBill

Legend
What was it like for Ethan Westbrooks to compete with Michael Sam and make the Rams final roster? The Rams DE joins “Rams Playmakers” and talks to hosts Casey Phillips and Myles Simmons of 101ESPN Radio. He also talks about his face tattoo.

Listen to Ethan Westbrooks Interview

bluecoconuts

Legend
I wouldn't say that tattoos are just becoming popular because of gangs and "prison culture", that would be glossing over the cause with a very broad brush

There's also the fact that typically speaking newer generations tend to be more "open" in their beliefs than the older more conservative older generation, who are seen as more open to the generation before them, etc.

Then there's the fact that our military had been at war for the past 13 years, resulting in a large amount of military veterans, and that military culture bleeding out into society. A lot of people want to be like the military without having to get yelled at or shot at. I see guys all the time at my work with tricked out rifles, cammo, they get morale patches, adopt the lingo/hair cut, and beg me to give them insider training tips to make them look the part. It's all over youtube as well. Obviously tattoos are a big part of the military (all mine are related), so as younger generations admire and look up to these tatted up combat vets, they see tattoos in a different way.

I don't think that tattoos are a fad or that they will go away. Fads are more like different fashion styles, or hair styles. The tattoo change seems more like a cultural shift, possibly sped up by a somewhat militarized nation.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Fads are more like different fashion styles, or hair styles. The tattoo change seems more like a cultural shift, possibly sped up by a somewhat militarized nation.

fF2KUXJ.gif

iced

I wouldn't say that tattoos are just becoming popular because of gangs and "prison culture", that would be glossing over the cause with a very broad brush

There's also the fact that typically speaking newer generations tend to be more "open" in their beliefs than the older more conservative older generation, who are seen as more open to the generation before them, etc.

Then there's the fact that our military had been at war for the past 13 years, resulting in a large amount of military veterans, and that military culture bleeding out into society. A lot of people want to be like the military without having to get yelled at or shot at. I see guys all the time at my work with tricked out rifles, cammo, they get morale patches, adopt the lingo/hair cut, and beg me to give them insider training tips to make them look the part. It's all over youtube as well. Obviously tattoos are a big part of the military (all mine are related), so as younger generations admire and look up to these tatted up combat vets, they see tattoos in a different way.

I don't think that tattoos are a fad or that they will go away. Fads are more like different fashion styles, or hair styles. The tattoo change seems more like a cultural shift, possibly sped up by a somewhat militarized nation.

They're actually cracking down on Tattoo's, at least the Navy is... They started new regs I think in '06 - not allowed to have any tattoo's that can't be covered by the uniform basically (no more sleeves/half sleeves)

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
I chopped my Sampson locks the last time I ever touched it. Shaved my head bald. Every time I looked in the mirror I remembered my goal. Haven't relapsed in over 12 years.

Good for you, AR. I had long hair in my youth, cut it short during my working years, and grew it back down to the middle of my shoulders just in time for retirement. Of course not all of it grew back unfortunately. :rockon: Picture Riff Raff from 'Rocky Horror Picture Show' with a full beard. No tattoos though. :snicker:

20g19uf.jpg

209RamsFan

I'm not a Tat guy nor do I have any or want any....but if it works for him and he's better for it...so be it...
Go Rams baby!

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Tattoos are like pop music. 95% is crap. .. The rest is excellent. I have a few, all under my shirt sleeves though.

The "laugh now cry later" tattoo is a gang related tat... but typically with latin/mexican outfits.