Westbrooks' Tattoo On His Face - To Keep Himself From Ever Getting A Normal Job

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

By Tony Manfred23 hours ago
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/nfl-player-got-tattoo-face-130917535.html?soc_src=mediacontentstory

An_NFL_Player_Got_A-db8cb42355850bd58b9ccb3cd7a42002

AP

St. Louis Rams rookie defense lineman Ethan Westbrooks made the final 53-man roster on Saturday, beating out Michael Sam for one of the team's final spots.

Westbrooks has a remarkable story of his own. In 2011 he was working at a Toys "R" Us and playing for Sacramento City College. Three years later, he's in the NFL. According to Westbrooks, an unlikely motivational tool — a face tattoo — is part of the reason for his success.

Westbrooks told ESPN's Nick Wagoner that he got a tattoo below his eye in 2011 because he never wanted to get a normal job again. Making it in the NFL would be the only way to prevent him from becoming "a guy that has a tattoo on his face looking for another job."

From ESPN:

The story goes that Westbrooks was working at a Toys 'R' Us in Sacramento while playing football and going to school at Sacramento City Junior College. He didn't like the job and decided when he quit that he had no intention of working a normal job again. So he went searching for a way to push himself to attain that goal. Somehow, he decided there was no better way to do that than to have a reminder staring him in the face every time he looked in the mirror.

'I was just like I might as well go ahead and get it on the face because if nothing else, it will help motivate me to either be a guy that has a tattoo on his face looking for another job or hopefully I make it in the NFL and don’t have to work too hard to do something (else),' Westbrooks said. 'I don’t feel it’s a bad thing now. I don’t regret it. It speaks for itself.'

It worked.

Westbrooks' incredible performance in training camp and the preseason is widely regarded as the reason Sam was cut. The Rams had a crowded group of players along the defensive line to begin with, and Westbrooks' emergence pushed out Sam.

The tattoo reads, "Laugh now, cry later:"

An_NFL_Player_Got_A-80a995adf55c33d3a63d34c9687b2ae0

After quitting Toys "R" Us, Westbrooks transferred to West Texas A&M, where he tore up the Division II ranks. The Rams signed him as an undrafted free agent in May.

He's one of four undrafted free agents to make the team.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
Nothing like a little misguided motivation. Whatever it takes bruv. Kick some ass and take a few names of opposing NFCW QBs with you. :double:

Irish

Starter
I really wanted to be a radio play by play announcer, so I took a cheese grater to my face to ensure no TV station would hire me

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I hope his warped motivation process results in him being worthy of a big contract with the Rams. I would love another future All Pro on the DLine. Otherwise he may find himself hanging onto the back of a garbage truck fom 2AM to Noon each day.

Come to think of it, that isn't exactly a normal job either, so he has all of the bases covered!

RaminExile

Hall of Fame
I saw this. What happens if he gets injured? Or really sucked? How long is an NFL career on average? 5 years or something? And that's gonna be enough to pay for him and his family the rest of his life??

paceram

Pro Bowler
I saw this. What happens if he gets injured? Or really sucked? How long is an NFL career on average? 5 years or something? And that's gonna be enough to pay for him and his family the rest of his life??

Just my personal opinion, but I think if he invests wisely, he should be set up pretty good financially if he has a decent 5+ year career in the NFL.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Whatever floats his boat. It's better than the "Aim Here" tramp stamp I saw at Six Flags one time.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
I know what he meant when he got that tattoo... "Laugh now, cry later".

But it does beg the question, I wonder if he was laughing when they gave him the tattoo?

Tron

Fights for the User
Name
Tron
Not worried about it. His choice, and so far it has worked out. He will make more than enough money to get it removed someday if he desires it. As long as he can play good Im happy. Couldn't care less about a face tattoo on an nfl player.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I'm a tattoo Nazi always have been, once a pretty little lady (too young for me) was telling me about this tat she had in an intimate place,I asked her why she didn't put it on her face,she said it would be " gross" I agreed and told her we both saw them as gross I just drew my line a little ahead of hers. She had no idea how to respond, but it did put an end to her flirting so that was a OK with me,she worked for a customer.
That said, I see a lot of people I respect and like getting them and I want one once in a while just for the hell of it,so I DO understand that not ONLY objectionable people want and get tats ,they are a fad I expect will fall from favor someday ( if they don't no big I been wrong before)
I don't think Ethans plan will work tats are so common now IMO he'll still be able to get jobs, it's not like the message is some vile disgusting thing ,it can be spun as positive.

Taking cover now that i let my keyboard overload me bum :whistle:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Man this guy seems to have some issues. Little worried.

Not me , I'd bet players without tats are outnumbered in the league by ones with, he put his back against the wall on purpose ,I wouldn't do it that way, but seems like he's gotten at least part of the plan on track,and even if he doesn't play long enough to attain lifelong financial security,having him motivated is only good for us ,in an interview for other jobs he can tell his story and the guy doing the interview will show him his tat and then they can get into the substantive issues.

GreeneCounty

Pro Bowler
Not worried about it. His choice, and so far it has worked out. He will make more than enough money to get it removed someday if he desires it. As long as he can play good Im happy. Couldn't care less about a face tattoo on an nfl player.

It it is not I have anything against tats it is just the tude of I m not gonna have a normal job,hope it works out for him.

iced

I'm a tattoo Nazi always have been, once a pretty little lady (too young for me) was telling me about this tat she had in an intimate place,I asked her why she didn't put it on her face,she said it would be " gross" I agreed and told her we both saw them as gross I just drew my line a little ahead of hers. She had no idea how to respond, but it did put an end to her flirting so that was a OK with me,she worked for a customer.
That said, I see a lot of people I respect and like getting them and I want one once in a while just for the hell of it,so I DO understand that not ONLY objectionable people want and get tats ,they are a fad I expect will fall from favor someday ( if they don't no big I been wrong before)
I don't think Ethans plan will work tats are so common now IMO he'll still be able to get jobs, it's not like the message is some vile disgusting thing ,it can be spun as positive.

Taking cover now that i let my keyboard overload me bum :whistle:

We all have our reasons...I have technically 4 tat's but they're merged into two on my arms, and I'm not done getting them either.. For me, it's art - I absolutely love it. I think Tattoo's are generally more appreciated by people with art backgrounds more so than anything else... When I was about 14 or 15 I used to do 3D Modeling/Design by creating monster trucks for a game that I used to play... And I'm a person that's a stickler for details - I remember spending hours making sure I got close to every pixel correct... I think art work is the same thing - people that are more visually stimulated find it more appealing (my theory)...For example I can tell see all the suttle differences between a blu ray, hd dvd, and dvd or 720p to 1080p, but my girlfriend can't....Thus, in the relationship draft, I spent my first round pick on watching high def movies on my Tv at my place

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
We all have our reasons...I have technically 4 tat's but they're merged into two on my arms, and I'm not done getting them either.. For me, it's art - I absolutely love it. I think Tattoo's are generally more appreciated by people with art backgrounds more so than anything else...

I agree with this. I've designed all of my ink and told myself that I'd never get anybody else's artwork on my body but my own. I can't imagine running into someone with the same design. I also can cover my casually visible tattoos with normal business attire.

I chuckle when I walk down the street and see tattoos that obviously came off the posters in the tattoo parlor.

It+s+true.+Almost+every+girl+I+know+with+a+tattoo_0a8478_4842061.jpg

Afro Ram

Pro Bowler
Those are supposed to be typical tattoos for a woman?? Maybe if she's a redneck native american serving in the navy.

Last edited:

fearsomefour

Legend
Haha, what a tool.
Protect your knees dude. Better hope you get more than the average 3 years at minimum pay most guys in the NFL get. That said, he was good enough to make THIS Dline. Tear it up young man.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
Those are supposed to be typical tattoos for a woman?? Maybe if she's aredneck native american serving in the navy.

As someone who is less than 10 years removed from the college bar scene, there must be a lot of native American rednecks in the navy!