We missed on Duke Williams.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Champ, I love you.

But this guy is a pipe dream.

Don't you DARE tell me about the CFL.

Text me when he is in the NFL.......until then.......SILENCE.......

not everyone is in the CFL because they didn't have the ability to play in the NFL.... Duke's off the field issues, were actually really substantial. But talent wise, he was a 2nd round pick easy. With those substantial off the field problems, we were actually the only team to give him a tryout and a shot.... During camp with us, he wasn't given a real shot to over take guys that he was easily more talented than. ..

all that to say I wouldn't dismiss him as a CFL player, because he not in the CFL due to a lack of talent or anything having to do with playing on the field...

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Duke Williams 'has been nothing but perfect' for CFL's Edmonton Eskimos
Updated Jul 5; Posted Jul 5

By Mark Inabinett

minabinett@al.com

Former Auburn wide receiver D'haquille "Duke" Williams has been named a Canadian Football League Top Performer of the Month for June along with Edmonton Eskimos quarterback Mike Reilly and Hamilton Tiger-Cats quarterback Jeremiah Masoli.

Williams had 14 receptions for a league-leading 308 yards with touchdown receptions of 88 and 64 yards for Edmonton in the opening month of the CFL's 2018 season.

"He's been nothing but perfect in all the areas, and I have nothing but respect for Duke since he's been an Eskimo," Edmonton coach Jason Maas said. "He's learned a lot and has obviously become a better person from everything he's been through. ...

"He wants it. He wants to be great. He comes out every day and he's dependable."

That might not sound like a description of the same wide receiver who played at Auburn.

Williams had a promising junior season for the Tigers with 45 receptions for 730 yards and five touchdowns in 10 games in 2014. But two suspensions, including for the Outback Bowl, foreshadowed his 2015 campaign.

Williams played in five games and caught 12 passes for Auburn as a senior before being dismissed from the team on Oct. 5, 2015. Coach Gus Malzahn dismissed Williams when the wide receiver was involved in an altercation outside a bar after the Tigers' victory over San Jose State on Oct. 3, 2015. The brawl left reserve center Xavier Dampeer with a jaw injury that caused him to miss the rest of the season.

"I did stuff I wasn't supposed to do, and the world doesn't revolve around me," Williams told the Eskimos' official web site. "It's a team thing, so I had to pay the consequences. It was all mistakes by me. I just made dumb decisions while I was there. It was nothing they did. It was all me."

Williams now calls his stop at Auburn "one of the best times of my life."

"I could have easily given up on life after getting kicked out of school," Williams said. "I know a lot of people counted me out. They thought it was over with for me."

In his second CFL season, Williams told the Edmonton Sun his time in Canada had been good for him.

"I grew up. It was all growth," Williams said. "Before I came, I was immature. I was selfish. I thought everything revolved around me when it didn't. I just grew as a man and grew as a person. I came here, and I began finding myself and who I am.

"Once I came up here, it just hit me. I started loving the game more. I discovered how much I love this game. I love the CFL. I love the players. I love the players who are not even on my team. They're all playing here because they just love what they do. That's what was missing in me before I came here. Once I came up here, it just hit me: I had not been loving the game; I was just out playing the game.

Williams said he thought every CFL follower could see how happy and grateful he is for his opportunity in Canada, but that probably wasn't the case in the United States.

"Everything I did good, they don't talk about, but everything I did bad was in the limelight," Williams said. "Up here, they talk about (the good things), but not back in the States. They're not talking about how I'm accomplishing what I want to do or my attitude or how I haven't been in trouble for a long time. But when I got kicked out, it was 'Duke this' or 'Duke that.'

"It was painting a picture of me, but basically painting this picture that I'm a bad guy when I'm far from a bad guy."

Williams and the Eskimos return to the field against the Toronto Argonauts at 4:30 p.m. CDT Saturday at BMO Field in Toronto. Edmonton has won two of its three games while the Argonauts are winless in 2018.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
golf-clap-gif-13.gif

Impressive, an average college receiver with bad measurables failed in the NFL and is doing good in the CFL. Clearly 32 NFL teams are stupid and those fans that liked him know better. Congrats on him continuing to play in the CFL since he couldn't make it in the NFL. We didn't miss on him, he missed on his chance to play in the NFL.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I'm glad guys who want to play football have somewhere to go outside the NFL - I think the Rams have a decent snout receiving corps though, crafted by McVay to be exactly what his scheme requires.

Good luck to him in the CFL, and I'm sure if he balls, then a team in need might go a callin'.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
golf-clap-gif-13.gif

Impressive, an average college receiver with bad measurables failed in the NFL and is doing good in the CFL. Clearly 32 NFL teams are stupid and those fans that liked him know better. Congrats on him continuing to play in the CFL since he couldn't make it in the NFL. We didn't miss on him, he missed on his chance to play in the NFL.
Ok, your snarky comment was funny...lol. For me it's curious how many pages this thread has accumulated for a guy I barely remember. I can't wait for training camp.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Clearly 32 NFL teams are stupid and those fans that liked him know better.
Is there no other option?

Possibly, all players develop at a different rate?

Possibly, Duke grew up in a short period of time and is now concentrating on being a pro?

Possibly, measurables are overrated?

Possibly, the Rams and the NFL teams did not like his interview or the trouble he had gone through was too recent and they didn't feel like taking the risk.

Perhaps the "Manziel Factor" was too fresh in their minds?

It could have been a lot of things but it doesn't mean the guy's a bum or not worthy of an NFL career.

At this rate he will be signing an NFL contract within a year, IMO.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Possibly, Duke grew up in a short period of time and is now concentrating on being a pro?

Possibly, the Rams and the NFL teams did not like his interview or the trouble he had gone through was too recent and they didn't feel like taking the risk.

It could have been a lot of things but it doesn't mean the guy's a bum or not worthy of an NFL career.

Possibly some players never develop and teams are right to let them go.

Possibly Duke is having a good year and will be non existant next year in the CFL.

Possibly Duke gets a shot at the NFL next year and fails again and he's still just an average receiver.

Possibly nothing you said changes what happened in his first try out with the Rams and he's just suited for the CFL better than he is the NFL.

Possibly there are dozens of WR and RB in the CFL that put up the same kind of numbers that he does and would never make it in the NFL.

Possibly you took one line out of my post and chose to run with that instead of the post as a whole and we're playing this game now.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In 2017 he caught 46 passes on 83 targets for 715 yards and 4 touchdowns. That was his debut season in the CFL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Possibly some players never develop and teams are right to let them go.

Possibly Duke is having a good year and will be non existant next year in the CFL.

Possibly Duke gets a shot at the NFL next year and fails again and he's still just an average receiver.

Possibly nothing you said changes what happened in his first try out with the Rams and he's just suited for the CFL better than he is the NFL.

Possibly there are dozens of WR and RB in the CFL that put up the same kind of numbers that he does and would never make it in the NFL.

Possibly you took one line out of my post and chose to run with that instead of the post as a whole and we're playing this game now.
Possibly you start getting a little uptight if somebody offers an alternate opinion?

Possibly you're a little defensive?

I pull for everybody to succeed because I have a positive attitude.

I'm pulling for the young man to do as well as possible in this world.

It's not a game and it's not about you.

Sorry.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Possibly you start getting a little uptight if somebody offers an alternate opinion?

Possibly you're a little defensive?

I pull for everybody to succeed because I have a positive attitude.

I'm pulling for the young man to do as well as possible in this world.

It's not a game and it's not about you.

Sorry.
Who's uptight? hahaha

I wish nothing but the best for everybody following their dreams. It's just funny when a guy has a little bit of success, that's all he's had so far, suddenly it's all about the Rams failing or screwing up. These kinds of threads pop up regularly, a guy doesn't shine with us doesn't earn a spot then goes off somewhere else and does ok and suddenly the Rams failed. Yet this guy did nothing while with the Rams to make them consider keeping him it's all about the Rams being bad. To me it's funny every time it happens, and it'll happen often maybe even with somebody we let go this year. Shall we start a count down clock to next years CFL season for somebody doing good then or maybe it'll be in the NFL this year or next.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame

All of those things are 100% true and should be taken into consideration, though I believe that using Manziel to support any argument no matter how well played immediately detracts from any supporting evidence it was meant to elucidate.

I mean people get way too bent out of shape over draft position and measurables, and any myopic use of stats grates my nerves ... but by the same token isn't it just a bit early to suggest that your team passed up on a big opportunity another NFL team tenders him an offer?

It's all good, and any post that draws out Chandler's Duke of Earl is a win, but this is just casual supposition.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
isn't it just a bit early to suggest that your team passed up on a big opportunity
Agreed.
And probably why I didn't.

I would still love to see the guy light it up because his highlights look like he could be the real deal.

He reminds me of a lot of players that, if developed correctly could have been really good.
Nothing like a good reclamation project.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not bad for a rookie.
Honestly not sure what qualifies as good or not in the CFL. It's a vastly different game on a different field. That's some good yards per receptions but 4 TD isn't exactly great, it's decent though. But that catch rate is not good by any stretch of the imagination, catching 55% of targets that is.

baconandbread

Super Secret Starting DT
Very different games so it's not really comparable. That being said, some player's talents can translate to either league if they're good enough. There is an undrafted NFL Hall of Fame/Top 10 QB that started his career playing for the same CFL team as Duke before going to the NFL.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Vince Ferragamo - 1 Super Bowl.

Joe Theismann - 2 Super Bowls.

Warren Moon - NFL Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Doug Flutie - 12 year NFL career.

Jeff Garcia - 4X Pro Bowler.

Not a bad list and most started their career in the CFL and transferred it to the NFL.