We missed on Duke Williams.....

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
I know he had baggage coming in... But I really think we should have given him more of a chance.

So I just turn on the CFL game on ESPN 2...I see Edmonton is playing, so I'm oh...Duke Williams is playing... First play I see he catches a 66 yd TD pass …..then catches the 2 point conversion....

he's putting up major numbers up there in his 2nd year....

the guy has all the tools...big...strong...fast.... those off the field issues seem to be behind him..

but oh how I wish he was in camp for the Rams under this coaching staff.... we ended up rolling with Bradley Marquez, and keeping a hurt Nelson Spruce around.

Can't win them all...but man I wish we had another shot at this guy.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Good for him, we have a great WR group though so not missing him.

LA_Rams_#29

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
LA Rams 29
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
He had a shot, he didn’t make it.

he had a chance.... but not much of one...and considering who we kept ahead of him... That's on us, because he looking pretty dominant out here for the Edmonton Eskimos..

either way..considering where the young man came from, I'm just glad he's making it somewhere...

He'll get another NFL shot...

jjab360

Legend
Call me crazy, but I think we're doing alright here without him.

Plus, I don't think he fits McVay's scheme of cerebral, reliable route runners. He's more the Fisher scheme fit of "we don't really know what we're doing so we're going to just throw it up and hope he comes down with it".

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's the CFL. They gave the guy a fair shot. He didn't make the cut. Maybe he's turned things around up north, or maybe he's just feasting on lesser competition. Cris Carter's son also tore it up in the CFL, but he has yet to do anything in the NFL.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
FWIW's I always liked the name "Duke" not the university, although I'm okay with their football program under Head Coach David Nelson Cutcliffe, just never cared for the basketball team although I highly respect Michael William Krzyzewski...As I digress, good for Duke Williams and the Edmonton Eskimos who used to have Warren Moon as their Quarterback and Hugh Campbell as their Head Coach.

Ram65

Legend
Post game interview
https://www.esks.com/2018/06/30/post-game-wr-duke-williams/

Wiki
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D'haquille_Williams

Stats
https://www.cfl.ca/players/d-haquille-williams/159430/

Has that chip on the shoulder attitude. Big body guy that the Rams don't have now at WR. Rams had big WRs in Britt and Quick at the time which had to work against him. Wiki has his 40 time at 4.72. It is the CFL but,you never know. Rams could bring him back as they are always searching to improve the roster. It can't hurt that he went to Auburn.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
FWIW's I always liked the name "Duke" not the university, although I'm okay with their football program under Head Coach David Nelson Cutcliffe, just never cared for the basketball team although I highly respect Michael William Krzyzewski...As I digress, good for Duke Williams and the Edmonton Eskimos who used to have Warren Moon as their Quarterback and Hugh Campbell as their Head Coach.
As a huge Maryland basketball fan, I say Duck Fuke. Even though we are now in the Big10, I hate me some Duke basketball... .I do have mad respect for Coach K though.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
the guy has all the tools...big...strong...fast.... those off the field issues seem to be behind him..

He isn't fast at all.

Here is a report on his combine performance I found.

Meanwhile, Auburn's D'haquille Williams did not impress scouts and finished in the bottom four in four drills. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.72 seconds, tying for the second-slowest time among receivers, and his three-cone drill time of 7.43 seconds was the slowest of the 27 receivers to participate. His vertical jump of 30 inches ranks 38th out of 41 and his broad jump of 10 feet, 1 inch is tied for 28th out of 40. Williams also dropped a pass in drills.

And as far as off field issues he got kicked off of the team at Auburn..........that says a lot. It takes serious repeat offenses to get taken off the team at most big time college programs.

And the knock on him from what I just read (from multiple sources) is that he is a terrible team mate.

It sounds to me like it wasn't a miss at all. It sounds like he just wasn't that good.

Maybe he's turned things around up north, or maybe he's just feasting on lesser competition. Cris Carter's son also tore it up in the CFL, but he has yet to do anything in the NFL.

He wasn't good enough to make it on his skills though, so turning whatever was wrong around so it's better doesn't upgrade his skills and abilities.

With the NFL pretty much one rule almost always applies. Players are either up to the level of competition or they aren't.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Wont say we missed on him, but I am always happy to see guys do well up north. Talk about playing for the love of the game.
Jeremiah Masoli is tearing it up right now. Why is that of note? Because Manziel will not see the field if that cat keeps playing the way he is.

Oh, and yes, I do like the CFL...