We have to draft Winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Yeah - I dunno. He had three INTs in a game where he really saw his first action being harassed for a good part of the game. He has a 2-1 TD to INT ratio while playing for THAT team with all that talent? Just not sold.

I also think the Rams have to address the QB situation either very early in the draft or via a rare big time FA move. I admit that FSU's offense looked pretty bad when Jameis wasn't playing that one game but he also looked pretty shaky last week when not having a clean pocket and a wide open receiver.

I haven't watched him play enough as I am on the West Coast and am a big Pac 12 nut. But I wouldn't be happy with the Rams mortgaging future picks for this kid - especially with the knucklehead moves he makes off the field. And we also need to keep in mind that the investigation into the assault charge is not finished so I won't add that right now. I just see a lot of questions and a player that could set us back if his character is what it seems.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Yeah - I dunno. He had three INTs in a game where he really saw his first action being harassed for a good part of the game. He has a 2-1 TD to INT ratio while playing for THAT team with all that talent? Just not sold.

I also think the Rams have to address the QB situation either very early in the draft or via a rare big time FA move. I admit that FSU's offense looked pretty bad when Jameis wasn't playing that one game but he also looked pretty shaky last week when not having a clean pocket and a wide open receiver.

I haven't watched him play enough as I am on the West Coast and am a big Pac 12 nut. But I wouldn't be happy with the Rams mortgaging future picks for this kid - especially with the knucklehead moves he makes off the field. And we also need to keep in mind that the investigation into the assault charge is not finished so I won't add that right now. I just see a lot of questions and a player that could set us back if his character is what it seems.
Yeah, I'm really not in favor of using multiple picks for a QB...I think this particular draft has some guys that might go later in the first/second round that will be able to play in the NFL (just by some of the highlights I've watched today, slow day at the office)...

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Hundley isn't even remotely close to Winston or Mariota as prospects.
OK

Tom Brady was a sixth round draft pick so he wasn't close to a lot of guys either as a prospect.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
As a football player - I like Winston a lot - he has been in a lot of big football moments and none of those moments have been too big for him.

Of course, what we have seen in college is a kid who is playing with a really good supporting cast - so you have to figure out who is elevating who.

Like any other potential high first round pick - you do an investigation into the kid's life that would make the CIA proud. You go all the way back - talk to friends, enemies, family, teachers, coaches, police officers - anyone who would have a chance to get to know him and develop an impression - good or bad. The Rams have been pretty good at these investigations under Snead. They have taken some character chances and haven't been all that badly burned. If they do take him - its because they think that he can be the face of the franchise - he can be THE GUY - and this doesn't seem like the regime that would pull that trigger because he runs a decent 40 and can throw the ball thru a brick wall.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Not true. FSU's OL has been majorly underwhelming this year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envzRQfz-A4

Notre Dame was coming after him all game long. He adjusted and started beating their blitzes. The same thing I'm demanding of Austin Davis.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I imagine Winston doing a Dos XXs commercial taking over for The Most Interesting Man In The World. This is what he'd say....

"I don't always win,,,,

Oh, wait a minute, YES I DO!"

:cool:

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I'm not interested in political correctness. I'm also not interested in a criminal on our roster, although Winston has never been charged or convicted of anything in a court of law. If Winston is on the board when the Rams draft, and he remains uncharged of a crime, we are nuts not to take him. The Rams, a team with one of the worst records of the last decade is now supposed to take a lesser player regardless of team needs to satisfy some ethic which has no relationship to the law of the land ? We have a justice system, sometimes it's not always pleasant or satisfying to those of us who don't have all the facts, ... we know some innocents have been convicted, we know some guilty have gone unpunished, but mob rule is not the way I choose to live or judge others. jmo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm almost inclined to say Winston or bust. I'm not sold on Mariota as a passer. He reminds me of a Hawaiian RG3.

Stanford game really changed my opinion on him. He was working through progressions in a way I hadn't seen of him before. It was an issue I had with his game previously.

RamsFan14

Starter
Winston might be a good football player, but my goodness... So annoying to hear him on the news CONSTANTLY!!! Like forreal, is it that tough to stay out of trouble?! I think could get used to him being a Ram, but initially I wouldn't like it. Too immature for my tastes, idk if I want a guy like him being the face of our franchise. His talent level tho is another discussion.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Winston might be a good football player, but my goodness... So annoying to hear him on the news CONSTANTLY!!! Like forreal, is it that tough to stay out of trouble?! I think could get used to him being a Ram, but initially I wouldn't like it. Too immature for my tastes, idk if I want a guy like him being the face of our franchise. His talent level tho is another discussion.

On the plus side, none of us could complain about the Rams not getting press. If they draft Winston, they'll get non-stop press. It'll be like the Jets. :LOL:

Sum1

Hall of Fame
OK

Tom Brady was a sixth round draft pick so he wasn't close to a lot of guys either as a prospect.
There's one...now look around the league and the majority of the starting QBs are early draft picks. In fact, I'll bet that there are good players at every single position throughout history that have been taken at every round in the draft, or undrafted...so should teams just decide to look in the late rounds and screw the first round just because you can get lucky?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
Not true. FSU's OL has been majorly underwhelming this year.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=envzRQfz-A4

Notre Dame was coming after him all game long. He adjusted and started beating their blitzes. The same thing I'm demanding of Austin Davis.

Sorry but I watched that game. Yes ND was coming after him but the FSU line was picking it up the most of the game and when they got to Jameis, he threw up some real jump balls and a VERY ugly INT - an INT that you don't want to see your starting QB throwing that deep in your end of the field. And on several of his completions downfield, the receiver either makes an outstanding catch or has no one within at least 5 yards. I also noted that he flushed from the pocket fairly readily even when he had a pocket to step up into.

I know you really like Jameis. He certainly has the size and strength but he makes some real questionable plays. In that ND game, he should have been picked 3 times. And as teams have started to figure him out a bit, he has gone from a 4-1 TD to INT ratio to a 2-1. I think in the NFL, teams will play him with hidden coverages designed to get him to revert to his instincts. If he is unable to play a wide open game, I think he will have some rough sledding at the next level.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
wait till the end of the season plenty of time to evaluate people .even possible we draft no one