Wagoner’s Rams Buzz: Ray Ray To Have Expanded Role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
Ray Ray is young and fast, whilst Dunbar is experienced and yet alas I fret Polonius said it best...

Dunbar hath, my lord, wrung from me my slow leave
By laborsome petition, and at last
Upon his speed Dunbar sealed the running back gap by hard consent!
But I do beseech you, let young Ray Ray
Wrap round ye tight ends the taints of liberty,
A savageness in unreclaimed blood,
Of tyranny assault and cling
to the Goliath's of this league
Like a muddy bloody sucking leech
tattooing and tweaking Kaepernick's nose
Betwixt Armstronging and blitzing
that Seahawk Wilson bitch buried on a beach!

It's not the first time I've seen Polonius paraphrased on a Rams message board before, but probably the first time I've seen it done well.

I kept trying to work some borrowing/lending deal in there, I got nothin.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I doubt JL comes off the field unless he's tired and takes himself out. He's simply to good at pass coverage and play recognition. I doubt Ogletree comes off the field much either. I think the best Ray Ray can hope for is to split time with Dunbar, a solid, aggresive player who Williams is already familiar with.

Play recognition, yes - JL is elite .... Pass coverage, unless he just hasn't been healthy (which may be the case), I think he is somewhat of a liability out there. How many times did we see the chains move with passes thrown in his area - whether it was zone or man? He gets there in time to make the tackle, but after the completion. I could certainly see a scenario where Ogletree moves to MLB and JL comes off the field on passing downs. Whether its Ray Ray stepping up to take the other LB spot in these situations or someone else - the snaps are there for the taking.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
http://ramblinfan.com/2014/07/01/james-laurinaitis-one-overpaid-players-nfl-nowhere-close/

Instead of just speculation on what a ST guy may do, here is some facts about what JL DID.

In answer to the pass coverage question I'll quote directly:

"He was also one of only two inside linebackers to play at least 75% of total defensive snaps and not allow a touchdown in coverage, despite dropping back on 50.8% of his defensive snaps last year."

As far as the chains moving on him, well I can't say I remember a whole lot of plays where that occurred. I'm sure he gave up some, but to say the chains moved on him every game? I'd have to see some actual facts on that first.

Meanwhile Ray Ray got a few penalties and looked fast on ST. I don't see it happening. He might split time with Dunbar. That's about it. And I can think of no way better to kill Ogletree's potential than to move him to the strong side so that Ray Ray can play weak. Why draft Ogletree at all then?

This seems more like the usual training camp high spirits where we (myself included) get caught up in what ifs. Kind of how Barret Jones gets talked about as a definite force on the line this year despite never actually stepping on the field. Maybe we should wait to see if Ray Ray does well in preseason before we get too excited.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
First off, JL hasn't been off the field for a defensive snap in years - in fact, I'm not sure he has ever missed a snap. I'm not trying to belittle him, and I'm certainly not anointing Ray Ray the next big thing on the Rams D - but I can't ignore what I see - and JL gets picked on by opposing QBs in coverage - he just does. Just for fun - pick any game (except Atlanta - which I inexplicably deleted) and I'll see if I can show you what I mean.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
First off, JL hasn't been off the field for a defensive snap in years - in fact, I'm not sure he has ever missed a snap. I'm not trying to belittle him, and I'm certainly not anointing Ray Ray the next big thing on the Rams D - but I can't ignore what I see - and JL gets picked on by opposing QBs in coverage - he just does. Just for fun - pick any game (except Atlanta - which I inexplicably deleted) and I'll see if I can show you what I mean.

And that's what you do with bad linebackers who can't cover. Ensure that they never miss a snap. We'll have to agree to disagree on this.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Selective memory for me with JL - I don't mean to be so harsh on him. Watching tonight I saw him make a great play in coverage and there I am looking for whether the receiver had a step.

As for Ray Ray, if it's preseason success you are looking for, look at last preseason. He may be too much of a liability out there - both going for the big play and for his style - which seems to attract flags but I'm still hopeful on him.

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
Selective memory for me with JL - I don't mean to be so harsh on him. Watching tonight I saw him make a great play in coverage and there I am looking for whether the receiver had a step.

As for Ray Ray, if it's preseason success you are looking for, look at last preseason. He may be too much of a liability out there - both going for the big play and for his style - which seems to attract flags but I'm still hopeful on him.
He certainly has talent. His day will come.