Wagoner’s Rams Buzz: Ray Ray To Have Expanded Role

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend

ESPN Rams reporter Nick Wagoner says Ray-Ray Armstrong will be a player to watch in training camp. :)58)

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Been calling him all a long! Gonna be a very good player in this league

RamsJunkie

ARE YOU NOT ENTERTAINED!
I think Ray Ray and dunbar may split snaps. Dunbar being the better run stuffer and Ray Ray is better in coverage and blitzing.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Everyone had this and there was a reason the Rams did not select a linebacker in the 2014 draft. Armstrong, Bates and IMO Tavarius Wilson will round out the unit come September Morn.

BD-TomCat

Rookie
No surprise to me. I'm very excited about Ray Ray kept asking Hammer about the kid last year during training camp

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I under the impression that Ray Ray will get a serious look in some of the many special blitz packages that GW will install in place of Dunbar. I not so sure that Ray Ray is that much faster than Dunbar with Ray Ray's extra pounds he has tacked on. Ray Ray ran between the 40-yard dash in 4.72 and 4.69 seconds. Dunbar more of an MLB'er than OLB'er ran the 40 between 4.72 & 7.79 range in the his pro day. Ray Ray is more agile & can close faster on the QB.

Dunbar's best games as a pro came starting & playing inside for Gregg Williams!

69superbowl

Rookie
Armstrong was my pick for "break out" Ram for 2014; a tough call over Barrett Jones, who I think they need to perform more. Anyone can see Ray is a dynamic player, but his recklessness led to penalties and mistakes. Hopefully he can learn to play the game without having to harness too much of that explosiveness. I hope to compare him to Vontaze Burfict one day.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
Yeah his two problems are getting up to speed on the mental aspect of the game(considering he played mostly saftey in college) and getting off blocks.
Right, if he could shed blocks and stuff runs as well as Dunbar he'd be starting, assuming the bonehead penalties stop.

Regardless, this is exciting news to me, if he can compete with Dunbar for some snaps this is a good thing for the team.

But the bonehead penalties have to stop :)

DCH

Madman with a box.
Name
Dewey
3 inches taller, 10 lbs heavier, faster .15 faster in the 40... I love Armstrong over Dunbar if he can be as intense and bulldoggish as Jo-Lonn. 'Course, we saw a big change in the attitude of the D when they brought Dunbar back last year. Never take locker room presence for granted, so long as the guy's not actively hurting you on the field.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Everyone had this and there was a reason the Rams did not select a linebacker in the 2014 draft. Armstrong, Bates and IMO Tavarius Wilson will round out the unit come September Morn.

Keep an eye on Phillip Steward as well. He was a UDFA pickup last year, and he's got a lot of potential.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I will be the sole naysayer on this one. I am not holding my breath. Not a fan of the "look at me" Ray Ray Armstrong. Too undisciplined to be counted on.

Considering the Base 4-3 is on the field less than 40% of the time, if we are really talking about "splitting" reps with Dunbar, exactly what does that mean in actual snap count?

Unless Armstrong brings more to the table than Joyner in the Nickel Blitz packages, IMO, he sees 3-4 snaps tops a game on defense.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Ray Ray played QB in HS (right here in Sanford, FL) and his team won the State Championship in his Senior year. Dudes a fantastic athlete.

My office is in Sanford and I've been stopped now by 3 different members of his family on the road because of my big Ram logo that's on my vehicle. They have all been very nice and excited when they see that I know who Ray Ray is. I'm a big fan of his... I hope he's able to become more than just a special teams player.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I will be the sole naysayer on this one. I am not holding my breath. Not a fan of the "look at me" Ray Ray Armstrong. Too undisciplined to be counted on.

Considering the Base 4-3 is on the field less than 40% of the time, if we are really talking about "splitting" reps with Dunbar, exactly what does that mean in actual snap count?

Unless Armstrong brings more to the table than Joyner in the Nickel Blitz packages, IMO, he sees 3-4 snaps tops a game on defense.

If Vontaze Burfict can overcome his "issues", Coach, there is surely hope for Armstrong, don't you think?

Also, do you have an opinion regarding Phillip Steward's chances?

JRobinson

MiLB

Can't say I completely disagree because I don't.

The undisciplined traits he carried in the special teams last season were indeed noticeable and unacceptable. However, I believe they were obviously unforced errors that were driven by aggression. He has to learn to keep that in check. If he does in fact receive more playing time, he will have to have earned the trust of the coaching staff that he can maintain the "go get em'" attitude while not committing stupid penalties.

Like you, I too see minimal reps on defense per game. Our Nickel formation will probably be relied heavily upon which I believe Armstrong won't be apart of. But, if he does even see the field 4-6 plays a game, that would be an "expanded" role.

He still has improvements to make to be more of a contributor on Defense, and it starts with the mental errors.

FRO

Legend

Was his undisciplined game due to playing a brand new position?