Wagoner Chat Highlights: Britt Interest A Head Scratcher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

iced

The interest in Britt is a head scratcher to me. I agree with you completely. Britt is not a clear upgrade and would take valuable reps from the young receivers on the roster.

translation - wagoner has a man crush on watkins and fears the signing of britt will lead to his fantasy crumbling around him. so he makes up some crap to argue against the interest in britt.

except for the fact that The Rams have said time and time again that they're not going to bring in veteran players because they would take away snaps from the younger guys. They'd only sign a player if they felt he was a clear cut upgrade. (they talked about this a lot leading up to the combine/Fa)..that being the case one could easily argue that watkins is even more in the mix now since they're clearly trying to upgrade the position.

but i think its silly to assume Britt would even be given a starting role - you don't even know if it'd make it through training camp.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Concur, but I agree Nick is the best Ram reporter and I don't always agree, however, Nick does put himself out there which is more I can say for many others. Also you're never going to agree with everyone as Lacy for example some on this board thought bust and I never felt that about Lacy who proved himself worthy in Green Bay.

In regards to Stacy I still want to see if he can hold up if he plays an entire season as last year he did not start until the 4th game and seemed to always be nursing something, however, Jim Brown after every play seemed dinged up too and he never was.

totally agree.

I like that Nick puts it out there. I get many things on the draft wrong myself, but at least there's a good discussion up front.

The main point here is that Nick's perspective on Britt isn't the only one and isn't necessarily correct. I see a very green WR corps in StL, and a vet WR usually helps. I'm not scratching my head over that.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
We have a lot of talent on the DL. I'd be surprised if we took Clowney.

Mathews makes the most sense.

Memphis Ram

Legend
except for the fact that The Rams have said time and time again that they're not going to bring in veteran players because they would take away snaps from the younger guys. They'd only sign a player if they felt he was a clear cut upgrade. (they talked about this a lot leading up to the combine/Fa)..that being the case one could easily argue that watkins is even more in the mix now since they're clearly trying to upgrade the position.

but i think its silly to assume Britt would even be given a starting role - you don't even know if it'd make it through training camp.

So perhaps, they feel that Britt represents a clear upgrade even though Wagoner may not.

I guess if one wanted they could argue that Watkins is even more in the mix now. But, unlike Britt, he's not a veteran player. They'd be using another premium pick to add another young unproven WR in need of development to a group of young unproven guys still developing.

If the draft plays out that way, then so be it. But, one has to seriously question if that's the plan going in.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nick is a true professional and and I am sure this is more about Britt's issues off the field then on and maybe you're right maybe Nick feels the Rams would be better with Watkins, but he's written quite a bit that the pick with be Robinson or Matthews so I am not so sure.

Again Britt would come with some questions, however, I trust Fisher on this and Finnegan is a good example. He really liked Finnegan and brought him in, however, after last year where Finnegan showcased that he could not cover a bed, he's no longer in horns. So when it comes to Britt I trust Fisher's judgment on if the fit is good or not and that Britt in the locker room won't be an issue.

don't get me wrong, i'm not knocking him. i like reading his articles and chat sessions. very informative and straight to the point. it's just that he's made it well known he wants the rams to take watkins.

the taking reps away from the younger players remark just doesn't cut it. it makes him sound like rfip.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

so if they sign britt what does that tell you?

iced

So perhaps, they feel that Britt represents a clear upgrade even though Wagoner may not.

I guess if one wanted they could argue that Watkins is even more in the mix now. But, unlike Britt, he's not a veteran player. They'd be using another premium pick to add another young unproven WR in need of development to a group of young unproven guys still developing.

If the draft plays out that way, then so be it. But, one has to seriously question if that's the plan going in.

Makes the most sense to me - if they're afraid of taking away snaps, they're only gonna fill that spot with someone they feel is better.

so if they sign britt what does that tell you?

Not a whole lot. Hard to say without the contract for sure, but I would bet he would get a one year prove it deal at worst - but he still has to make it through camp. Britt isn't someone who was just last season playing at a high level. His production has dropped since 2011, was benched last season, and has had his own unique struggles in the past few seasons.

Britt doesn't mean anything to me until he even makes the team. the Rams signing britt means no more than them signing Joseph..

now if the rams were able to go after desean jackson, then that'd be a completely different story

Memphis Ram

Legend
Makes the most sense to me - if they're afraid of taking away snaps, they're only gonna fill that spot with someone they feel is better.

Sure. But, doesn't it makes more sense to attempt to do so with a veteran than it does to add another young kid to develop?

iced

Sure. But, it makes sense to attempt to do so with a veteran than it does to add another young kid to develop.

Nothin wrong with takin' a flier on a player that once showcased talent before. They did the same with Titus.

That also tells you that they're not set at the position either, and they're looking for an upgrade.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Maybe they aren't in love with any of them. That's possible. I've watched some of Bortles games and he looks so freaking raw it's crazy to think he'll go #1 overall. And he doesn't have a very strong arm and he's not particularly accurate. He's a nice prospect, I was hoping the Rams could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round a few months ago. Actually Garroppolo may be better than Bortles.

Bortles is way overhyped right now and I think he will drop by draft day. There is no way the Texans can plug in Bortles this year and win. And when you draft a QB #1 overall, he is gonna start right away. So, yeah, the Texans don't want to settle for their second choice, but they'd be hurting themselves if they took Bortles #1 when there are at least a half dozen players who should and will go before him.

Remember, the Bills wanted Emanuel. He was their guy. But they traded down to get him. Why? Last years draft wasn't even that strong. They knew they could get him later and pick up extra picks. Same goes for Houston.

He's not. At all. Pocket presence is one of the best indicators of future success with QBs. Bortles's pocket presence is already great. Garoppolo's is bad...very bad. He has Blaine Gabbertitis.

It's going to take a lot of work to fix that...and it might never be fixable.

Deepest WR class in years, but there's only two who can play or help this team? That's foolishness.

And boom goes the dynamite. That's just the worst logic ever. How can a person simultaneously argue that the Rams shouldn't be content with their WRs and then argue that they shouldn't take a WR in a ridiculously deep and talented class if they don't grab one of the first two? It's baffling.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Nothin wrong with takin' a flier on a player that once showcased talent before. They did the same with Titus.

That also tells you that they're not set at the position either, and they're looking for an upgrade.

No ,it "tells you" they are set enough to only attempt to improve WITHOUT expending a high draft choice.
Every smart coach and FO is constantly on the lookout to improve at the lowest cost possible that's why they are looking at Britt.
I don't think Snead or Fisher is saying Watkins or Evans or Britt wouldn't upgrade the rec. corps they are however saying the opportunity cost is too high for the marginal improvement gained with the first two or one.

IOW "set" means they wouldn't be unwilling to play the pat hand

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
He's not. At all. Pocket presence is one of the best indicators of future success with QBs. Bortles's pocket presence is already great. Garoppolo's is bad...very bad. He has Blaine Gabbertitis.

It's going to take a lot of work to fix that...and it might never be fixable.
Pocket presence. Everyone has an opinion on pocket presence. Cosell said Bradford's is poor. McShays says it's fine. So is Bradford fixable or is he already fixed? Beats me.

Bortles hasn't even played against the top teams in college and his is great already?

iced

No ,it "tells you" they are set enough to only attempt to improve WITHOUT expending a high draft choice.

Lol that doesn't tell you anything... So if they're trying to sign Devin joseph is that going to rule out a guard high?

No.

Britt hasn't played at a high level, has had off the field issues, and under producing the past 3 years..even rode the bench and was inactive alot of last season.

Curious to know how you think them going after him suggests the Wide receiver corps is suddenly improved?
Every smart coach and FO is constantly on the lookout to improve at the lowest cost possible that's why they are looking at Britt.

Exactly - taking a chance on Britt doesn't mean anything. Just like signing Carrington wouldn't rule out Aaron Donald.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Pocket presence. Everyone has an opinion on pocket presence. Cosell said Bradford's is poor. McShays says it's fine. So is Bradford fixable or is he already fixed? Beats me.

Bortles hasn't even played against the top teams in college and his is great already?

Yes. Bradford's was neither poor nor good as a prospect. His pocket presence itself was fairly average. His pocket movement was poor. And that was mainly because he wasn't forced to do a lot of it in college.

Bradford is fixable to an extent. IMO, he'll never be Manning or Brady but his pocket movement has improved a lot over the past two years with better coaching. His presence is still hit and miss at times but it's improved too with his movement.

However, Bradford was not a guy to see ghosts in the pocket and sack himself...Gabbert was. And I've seen the same thing in Garoppolo. That's hard to overcome.

Bortles is great already. It's all about instincts, eye discipline, and poise. Bortles isn't elite because he has a tendency to fall away from pressure at times when throwing rather than standing tall. Needs to work on that. And his movement, while he shows flashes of greatness, needs to be more consistent. He can get a little too comfortable leaving the pocket and scrambling.

But I'll show you why I think he's great already:

Recognizes the blitz pre-snap, tricks the blitzer into thinking that he doesn't see him, spins away and escapes, keeps his eyes down the field and delivers a pass as he takes a hit

Player comes off the edge, Bortles stands tall and delivers the pass right before the hit comes

Sees the pressure getting too far up-field, climbs the ladder to evade the pressure, slips but stays poised and keeps his eyes down-field, hits the open WR with the pass

Keeps his feet active, climbs the pocket, and takes the hit but still steps into and makes the throw

Spins away from the free rusher on the blitz, keeps his composure, and lofts the ball over the defense to his check-down option for a TD

Climbs the pocket, pulls free from Clowney's big mitt, keeps his eyes down-field and delivers a strike for a TD

I'm not really sure I need to say too much on this one...haha...that was some Big Ben esque magic

Climbs the ladder to escape the pressure, extends the play, and then realizes nothing is there so he tucks it for a TD
Code:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4iDpPeoaKI#t=12m28s
Copy and paste that link for the ultimate Big Ben play haha

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nice clips jrry. Thank you for posting them.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
Yes. Bradford's was neither poor nor good as a prospect. His pocket presence itself was fairly average. His pocket movement was poor. And that was mainly because he wasn't forced to do a lot of it in college.

Bradford is fixable to an extent. IMO, he'll never be Manning or Brady but his pocket movement has improved a lot over the past two years with better coaching. His presence is still hit and miss at times but it's improved too with his movement.

However, Bradford was not a guy to see ghosts in the pocket and sack himself...Gabbert was. And I've seen the same thing in Garoppolo. That's hard to overcome.

Bortles is great already. It's all about instincts, eye discipline, and poise. Bortles isn't elite because he has a tendency to fall away from pressure at times when throwing rather than standing tall. Needs to work on that. And his movement, while he shows flashes of greatness, needs to be more consistent. He can get a little too comfortable leaving the pocket and scrambling.

Recognizes the blitz pre-snap, tricks the blitzer into thinking that he doesn't see him, spins away and escapes, keeps his eyes down the field and delivers a pass as he takes a hit

Player comes off the edge, Bortles stands tall and delivers the pass right before the hit comes

Sees the pressure getting too far up-field, climbs the ladder to evade the pressure, slips but stays poised and keeps his eyes down-field, hits the open WR with the pass

Keeps his feet active, climbs the pocket, and takes the hit but still steps into and makes the throw

Spins away from the free rusher on the blitz, keeps his composure, and lofts the ball over the defense to his check-down option for a TD

Climbs the pocket, pulls free from Clowney's big mitt, keeps his eyes down-field and delivers a strike for a TD

I'm not really sure I need to say too much on this one...haha...that was some Big Ben esque magic

Climbs the ladder to escape the pressure, extends the play, and then realizes nothing is there so he tucks it for a TD
Code:

MEH, guy looks like a pu$$y to me. :p

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Code:

Nice stuff, jrry. Appreciate the work.

BTW, how would you compare Bradford to Alex Smith in terms of pocket presence and movement?

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Nice stuff, jrry. Appreciate the work.

BTW, how would you compare Bradford to Alex Smith in terms of pocket presence and movement?

I'd say they're similar. Bradford has a better internal clock and instincts when it comes to the pass rush but Smith has more nimble feet and is better at eluding sacks.