Wagoner Chat Highlights: Britt Interest A Head Scratcher

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Wagoner Chat Highlights

—The interest in Britt is a head scratcher to me. I agree with you completely. Britt is not a clear upgrade and would take valuable reps from the young receivers on the roster.

—I don’t think the Rams are ignoring the QBs in this draft but I also think they, like everybody else, don’t see an elite QB in this class. I do wonder if they had the 2 pick this year and Luck/RG3 were coming out how that would alter their perception of Bradford.

—Khalil Mack a Fit for the Rams? I just don’t see it. He’s a great player but best used as a 3-4 OLB and though you could theoretically find ways to get him on the field in the 4-3, how much?

—Aaron Donald? Would be surprised if they used a first round pick on another DT with the other needs they have but you can never say never, I suppose.

—Greg Reid? Until proven otherwise, camp body. He hasn’t played in a few years. But he’s coming to the right team to have a chance since the Rams don’t have many bodies in the secondary right now.

—I’m a fan of Johnny Football, have said as much all along. But it’s simply not worth discussing because, unless the Rams are pulling off the biggest smokescreen of all time, they aren’t taking a QB at No. 2.

—Multiple first round trades wouldn’t be a surprise. The Rams did it last year so your proposal would be the same, only in reverse of how they did it in ’13. As for the safeties, I’m not as high on the top two as others but I suppose I’d understand if the Rams took one at 13. I do think a CB like Gilbert or even Dennard (who would be a good scheme fit) would be fine at 13.

—I think there’s interest in potentially bringing Dahl back. But they do have high hopes for Jones and Brandon Washington. I still expect them to add more OL help in the draft.

—I’m a believer that if they don’t take one of the top two WR’s they might as well just pass on the position altogether. But with 12 picks, I think they’d probably take one at some point.

—Let’s just get it out of the way right now: I don’t believe the Rams will be players in the pursuit of DeSean Jackson. Obviously, he’s a talented player and the Eagles let him go for a reason. Wouldn’t you want to know what that reason is first? Also, I don’t believe the Rams have the money to make a run at him nor would they be wise to spend the money they do have on him.

—Whether you agree with them or not, the Rams believe in Bradford and think he can be the guy for the future. However, I don’t expect anything to happen on the contract extension front this year so if he gets hurt again or struggles in 2014, it may not happen.

—Were Rams Really Interested in Sanchez? Only mildly but never as much as they were Shaun Hill. If Hill had gone elsewhere, maybe they’d have had more interest. But Sanchez to Philly seemed like it was certain either way.

—Well as it stands today, they have McDonald as one starter at Safety. Then they have McLeod, Daniels and Cody Davis coming back. I believe they’ll add a potential starter at some point in the draft.

—What Happened With Givens? Well there were a few things. One, Givens dealt with some nagging injuries all season. Two, he never seemed to get on the same page with Clemens after Sam Bradford got hurt. Deep ball accuracy isn’t Clemens’ specialty and that’s clearly a big part of Givens’ game. Givens also simply didn’t progress how they hoped in terms of intermediate route running and, at times, didn’t fight for the ball the way he needed to. I still think he can be a productive receiver but he needs to come back more polished and ready to get after it. The opportunity is still there.

—Fisher’s Comments on the Rams WR’s? It can be hard to decipher what’s real and what’s not this time of year. I think part of it is they have to express as much confidence as possible in the current group to keep them motivated. It’s hard to take those comments at face value while the team is pursuing Kenny Britt, though.

Read All Chat Highlights

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Big fuckin deal! So far we've kicked the tires on Britt. If he fits then he fits. We almost, or do we already have our wr core? Watkins or Evans sniff sniff. Really no one knows but soon we will whether its evident by draft time or training camp and preseason. We'll know. And that's all I know for now.

RFIP

This is the most I have ever agreed with Wagoner on:

—The interest in Britt is a head scratcher to me. I agree with you completely. Britt is not a clear upgrade and would take valuable reps from the young receivers on the roster.

—Khalil Mack a Fit for the Rams? I just don’t see it. He’s a great player but best used as a 3-4 OLB and though you could theoretically find ways to get him on the field in the 4-3, how much?

—Aaron Donald? Would be surprised if they used a first round pick on another DT with the other needs they have but you can never say never, I suppose. Needed to add "same for Clowney" to his answer here but we get the gist.

—I’m a believer that if they don’t take one of the top two WR’s they might as well just pass on the position altogether. But with 12 picks, I think they’d probably take one at some point.

—What Happened With Givens? Well there were a few things. One, Givens dealt with some nagging injuries all season. Two, he never seemed to get on the same page with Clemens after Sam Bradford got hurt. Deep ball accuracy isn’t Clemens’ specialty and that’s clearly a big part of Givens’ game. Givens also simply didn’t progress how they hoped in terms of intermediate route running and, at times, didn’t fight for the ball the way he needed to. I still think he can be a productive receiver but he needs to come back more polished and ready to get after it. The opportunity is still there.

—Fisher’s Comments on the Rams WR’s? It can be hard to decipher what’s real and what’s not this time of year. I think part of it is they have to express as much confidence as possible in the current group to keep them motivated. It’s hard to take those comments at face value while the team is pursuing Kenny Britt, though.

Ramsey

Starter
Name
Ramsey
This is the most I have ever agreed with Wagoner on:

—Aaron Donald? Would be surprised if they used a first round pick on another DT with the other needs they have but you can never say never, I suppose. Needed to add "same for Clowney" to his answer here but we get the gist.

Thanks for highlighting the highlights for me! I couldn't agree more.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I'm getting more convinced that Clowney is going #1.

If Houston doesn't take him, then I expect them to trade the pick to someone who will.

I just don't see Bortles as a top 10 pick. I think Tannehill was a better prospect. And I don't believe Houston wants Teddy or JFF.

Clowney is so much better than any QB in this draft. It would be poor business to take a QB over him.

Houston can get any deal the Rams can get for Clowney. And that's a very real possibility.

In other words, I don't expect Clowney to be there at #2. The Rams aren't getting much of a deal to move down this year. Maybe someone falls in love with JFF.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Houston can get any deal the Rams can get for Clowney. And that's a very real possibility.

But; in that deal can Houston get the QB they want?

Keep in mind, they WILL have a favourite (QB)... In their mind a clear favourite that fits what they're trying to do.

In the NFL you don't settle for your second choice - at the most important position on your team - high in the draft.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Riddle me this Batman....If you drafted someone that was productive for you and played well and was a difference maker when you coached him would you be interested in him despite some on and off the field issues? I understand Fisher's interest in Britt and although I respect Nick and RFIP very much IMO a 6-3 225lbs WR 25 years of age (26 in September) who runs well and signs a one year deal most likely would be worth a shot.

IMO if he failed with the Rams his career would be over so if he does sign and can stay on the field IMO he'll be very productive and I am trying to understand how the other Ram WR's would take this negatively? It happens all the time in the NFL player has a couple of tough years goes back with a coach he had success with and produces. Keep in mind, it wasn't that long ago many were saying the same things about Marshawn Lynch and you know the rest of the story!

Memphis Ram

Legend
How does Britt take away valuable reps from the young WRs on the roster, if he doesn't earn them? And wouldn't anyone selected in the draft or brought in as an UDFA take away valuable reps from the young WRs already on the roster, too? Would Britt on a prove-it type of deal be guaranteed a starting position or something? He might not even make the team if he doesn't pan out.

Mack could play SLB and takes reps as a pass rusher in Greg Williams defense just like Marcus Washington did in Washington. That said the Dunbar re-signing all but eliminates that thought process.

Donald & Clowney? Team needs don't influence player availability. If these guys are the BPA within reason on the Rams draft board then it makes all the sense in the world to select them over a lesser talent who might fill a position, but not fill a perceived need.

Deepest WR class in years, but there's only two who can play or help this team? That's foolishness.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
+1
+1

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Keep in mind, they WILL have a favourite (QB)... In their mind a clear favourite that fits what they're trying to do.

In the NFL you don't settle for your second choice - at the most important position on your team - high in the draft.

Maybe they aren't in love with any of them. That's possible. I've watched some of Bortles games and he looks so freaking raw it's crazy to think he'll go #1 overall. And he doesn't have a very strong arm and he's not particularly accurate. He's a nice prospect, I was hoping the Rams could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round a few months ago. Actually Garroppolo may be better than Bortles.

Bortles is way overhyped right now and I think he will drop by draft day. There is no way the Texans can plug in Bortles this year and win. And when you draft a QB #1 overall, he is gonna start right away. So, yeah, the Texans don't want to settle for their second choice, but they'd be hurting themselves if they took Bortles #1 when there are at least a half dozen players who should and will go before him.

Remember, the Bills wanted Emanuel. He was their guy. But they traded down to get him. Why? Last years draft wasn't even that strong. They knew they could get him later and pick up extra picks. Same goes for Houston.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Maybe they aren't in love with any of them. That's possible. I've watched some of Bortles games and he looks so freaking raw it's crazy to think he'll go #1 overall. And he doesn't have a very strong arm and he's not particularly accurate. He's a nice prospect, I was hoping the Rams could get him in the 2nd or 3rd round a few months ago. Actually Garroppolo may be better than Bortles.

Bortles is way overhyped right now and I think he will drop by draft day. There is no way the Texans can plug in Bortles this year and win. And when you draft a QB #1 overall, he is gonna start right away. So, yeah, the Texans don't want to settle for their second choice, but they'd be hurting themselves if they took Bortles #1 when there are at least a half dozen players who should and will go before him.

Remember, the Bills wanted Emanuel. He was their guy. But they traded down to get him. Why? Last years draft wasn't even that strong. They knew they could get him later and pick up extra picks. Same goes for Houston.

Last year's draft set up is a little different than this one. The Bills moved down from #8 to #16 in a weaker QB class. That's a bit different than moving down from #1 when 2 of the next 4 teams need a QB and might like Bortles an awful lot. Anything is possible, but the Texans have got to feel the same way you do to take that risk.

BTW, it wouldn't shock me if Fitzpatrick starts initially no matter what the Texans do in the draft. Eli Manning didn't start immediately and he was a #1 overall selection. Neither did Carson Palmer. If you are not ready, you're just not ready. It really depends upon the coaching staff and ownership.

jap

Legend
I believe the Horns are counting on the fact that players normally get 100% two years after and ACL/MCL type injury such as Britt experienced with his right knee in Week Three of 2011. As it is, Britt is three years removed from that injury, although he has had trouble with his left knee as early as training camp last year.

I trust the Rams to be cautious to offer only a contract that will allow Britt to earn money without seriously disadvantaging the franchise badly if his knees don't hold up. They have already had to back-to-back similar deals with Jake Long and Beetlejuice.

At 6'3", 223 pounds, Ken can be an excellent mentor to Brian Quick, something Brain has lacked throughout his duration as a Horn. Sometimes getting a player to focus on a mentorship role where he is responsible for a younger player can help him straighten out his own life. Ken can teach Brian how to play Big Man ball, using his size and
athleticism to full advantage.

fearsomefour

Legend
How does Britt take away valuable reps from the young WRs on the roster, if he doesn't earn them? And wouldn't anyone selected in the draft or brought in as an UDFA take away valuable reps from the young WRs already on the roster, too? Would Britt on a prove-it type of deal be guaranteed a starting position or something? He might not even make the team if he doesn't pan out.

Mack could play SLB and takes reps as a pass rusher in Greg Williams defense just like Marcus Washington did in Washington. That said the Dunbar re-signing all but eliminates that thought process.

Donald & Clowney? Team needs don't influence player availability. If these guys are the BPA within reason on the Rams draft board then it makes all the sense in the world to select them over a lesser talent who might fill a position, but not fill a perceived need.

Deepest WR class in years, but there's only two who can play or help this team? That's foolishness.
Agreed. There will be camp bodies added at WR anyway. They aren't going into camp with 5 WR.
Also, how do the Rams view Reid? Just as a returned or as a potential CB?
If they view him just as a returner they could list him as anything to find room on the roster for him.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The interest in Britt is a head scratcher to me. I agree with you completely. Britt is not a clear upgrade and would take valuable reps from the young receivers on the roster.

translation - wagoner has a man crush on watkins and fears the signing of britt will lead to his fantasy crumbling around him. so he makes up some crap to argue against the interest in britt.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
The interest in Britt is a head scratcher to me. I agree with you completely. Britt is not a clear upgrade and would take valuable reps from the young receivers on the roster.

translation - wagoner has a man crush on watkins and fears the signing of britt will lead to his fantasy crumbling around him. so he makes up some crap to argue against the interest in britt.

Nick is a true professional and and I am sure this is more about Britt's issues off the field then on and maybe you're right maybe Nick feels the Rams would be better with Watkins, but he's written quite a bit that the pick with be Robinson or Matthews so I am not so sure.

Again Britt would come with some questions, however, I trust Fisher on this and Finnegan is a good example. He really liked Finnegan and brought him in, however, after last year where Finnegan showcased that he could not cover a bed, he's no longer in horns. So when it comes to Britt I trust Fisher's judgment on if the fit is good or not and that Britt in the locker room won't be an issue.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Nick is a true professional and and I am sure this is more about Britt's issues off the field then on and maybe you're right maybe Nick feels the Rams would be better with Watkins, but he's written quite a bit that the pick with be Robinson or Matthews so I am not so sure.

Again Britt would come with some questions, however, I trust Fisher on this and Finnegan is a good example. He really liked Finnegan and brought him in, however, after last year where Finnegan showcased that he could not cover a bed, he's no longer in horns. So when it comes to Britt I trust Fisher's judgment on if the fit is good or not and that Britt in the locker room won't be an issue.

Nick is probably the best Rams reporter. He does have his favorites. Last year he was hoping the Rams would take Eddie Lacy in the first round, saying that Lacy would go in the first round even if the Rams didn't take him. Personally, I am much happier with Stacy in the 5th round versus Nick's approach of Lacy in the 1st round (never did go there). So, while I love to read Nick, I often disagree strongly with his opinions.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nick is probably the best Rams reporter. He does have his favorites. Last year he was hoping the Rams would take Eddie Lacy in the first round, saying that Lacy would go in the first round even if the Rams didn't take him. Personally, I am much happier with Stacy in the 5th round versus Nick's approach of Lacy in the 1st round (never did go there). So, while I love to read Nick, I often disagree strongly with his opinions.

Lacy is a hell of a RB, but agree... Ogletree+Stacy > Lacy and it's not even close.

I'm a huge believer that in today's NFL you find RB's later than round 1-2.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Concur, but I agree Nick is the best Ram reporter and I don't always agree, however, Nick does put himself out there which is more I can say for many others. Also you're never going to agree with everyone as Lacy for example some on this board thought bust and I never felt that about Lacy who proved himself worthy in Green Bay.

In regards to Stacy I still want to see if he can hold up if he plays an entire season as last year he did not start until the 4th game and seemed to always be nursing something, however, Jim Brown after every play seemed dinged up too and he never was.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

That's true.
But if the Rams trade down with the Falcons can the Rams get the player they want or they gonna suck hind teet? Of the four often mentioned targets, the Rams might have at least one graded much lower. Couple that with not knowing for sure what the 3 teams in between will do. Fisher didn't throw his glasses when Blackmon was picked cause a fly was in the room.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's true.
But if the Rams trade down with the Falcons can the Rams get the player they want or they gonna suck hind teet? Of the four often mentioned targets, the Rams might have at least one graded much lower. Couple that with not knowing for sure what the 3 teams in between will do. Fisher didn't throw his glasses when Blackmon was picked cause a fly was in the room.

True.

But plan B for the Rams (or any team set at QB) isn't the same compromise, IMO.