Vikings at Rams | Pre-Game Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I know they will use Rudy to chip on Quinn as well as use Felton to help. I have faith Norv can put a game plan together to counteract some of that, the question is can we execute the game plan.
Welcome to the board and about that gameplan...
kmi.gif

RamzFanz

Damnit
One thing to note.. If you guys are going to opposing teams board as a representative of ROD, please be respectful on their respective boards.

I take the screen name PhxRam Rams On Demand and then I trash talk my a$$ off. Just so you aren't surprised by the hate mail and all. :eek:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The more I think about this game the more nervous I get. As much as I love Rudolph in the passing game, I have a bad feeling we are going to have to have him stay in to help Kalil on Quinn. It’s going to be hard for us to consistently drive the field on you guys so big plays will be a huge part of the game for us. Turnovers could decide the outcome.

The one thing both fan bases know for sure, it's going to be interesting!

There's lots of beliefs on both sides that are going to play out and one side (vikings) isn't going to like the results.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Wouldn't it be ironic if we rushed for 200+ on Sunday? Payback :heh:

I also like us to win this game handily, not because I think Vikes lack offensive firepower, I just don't fear their D. Sure they've got a few names in Griffin, Greenway, Floyd, and Smith but no single player that scares me. I think our physical WRs (Quick & Britt) can win on the outsides, while Stacy and Benny will get healthy yardage on the ground. And behind Rhodes and Munnerlyn they don't have much at CB, or a real LB that can cover for that matter. Who's going to stick with Tavon all day? Or Cook up the seams?

Last edited:

Oldgeek

I'm old and can't wait another 20 years for a SB W
Name
Steve
AP will get over 100 but the Vikes will get less than 200 total. As much as I like Bradford, he always started off slow. Hill seems to be clicking from the get-go.
I'm seeing a 24-10 win for the Rams. Rams will show that they do have the best D in the league.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
Wouldn't it be ironic if we rushed for 200+ on Sunday? Payback :heh:

I also like us to win this game handily, not because I think Vikes lack offensive firepower, I just don't fear their D. Sure they've got a few names in Griffin, Greenway, Floyd, and Smith but no single player that scares me. I think our physical WRs (Quick & Britt) can win on the outsides, while Stacy and Benny will get healthy yardage on the ground. And behind Rhodes and Munnerlyn they don't have much at CB, or a real LB that can cover for that matter. Who's going to stick with Tavon all day? Or Cook up the seams?
No way can you run 200+ on our defense. We are pretty stout against the run with Joseph and Floyd. Zimmer's defense is very much a stop the run first style defense. Brinkley (our MLB) is pretty good against the run as well and thats what the MLB does most in Zimmer's D. As for your receivers getting physical, both Rhodes and Captain are made for bump-n-run so there will be plenty of physicality going on regardless. Zimmer likes to use press coverage and get guys off their spot. When we are in nickle formation (Tavon being in the slot) Captain will be covering him and he is one of the best Nickel corners in the league. Your best best when in a 3 WR set is to attack the corner opposite Rhodes. Josh Robinson is our CB3 and has shown flashes of being really good but is very inconsistent. He excels in man coverage but isn't as physical and Rhodes, so if Quick (I'm guessing Rhodes will be covering Britt and Tavon/Captain in the slot) can get up in his face he may have some struggles.

All in all, I wouldn't underestimate our defense. We have always had talent on that side of the ball (now there is even more with Joseph, Captain and Barr as well as some quality depth) and now we have a real good defensive mind driving our team.

WOwolfOL

UDFA
AP will get over 100 but the Vikes will get less than 200 total. As much as I like Bradford, he always started off slow. Hill seems to be clicking from the get-go.
I'm seeing a 24-10 win for the Rams. Rams will show that they do have the best D in the league.

If AP gets over 100 you can be certain that we will definitely have more then 200 yards total.

vikings

UDFA
"What I do remember about that game is that it's first time in eight years, I've ever talked off to players," Peterson said in a conference call with St. Louis reporters on Wednesday. "Those guys had me so hot; like, I haven't ever been that mad playing football. Those guys were just running to the ball -- I love it, too -- but (they) were just yapping at the mouth. I'm talking about from the defensive front to the second level to the secondary. Those guys were just yapping and they were doing pretty good initially, kind of getting a couple tackles for loss, a couple of three-and-outs. And then when I gunned at them one time, it got real quiet. I'm not going to give you my hint. I hope they come in talking a lot of noise this time, too. I'm excited to play these guys."

LooNaTik83

If we contain Peterson and slow down their running game the Rams should be in good shape. The Rams O need to score though. I would like to see red zone conversions of touchdowns no more of these field goals. Rams have some good slant runners so this should be interesting.

RamzFanz

Damnit
No way can you run 200+ on our defense. We are pretty stout against the run with Joseph and Floyd. Zimmer's defense is very much a stop the run first style defense. Brinkley (our MLB) is pretty good against the run as well and thats what the MLB does most in Zimmer's D. As for your receivers getting physical, both Rhodes and Captain are made for bump-n-run so there will be plenty of physicality going on regardless. Zimmer likes to use press coverage and get guys off their spot. When we are in nickle formation (Tavon being in the slot) Captain will be covering him and he is one of the best Nickel corners in the league. Your best best when in a 3 WR set is to attack the corner opposite Rhodes. Josh Robinson is our CB3 and has shown flashes of being really good but is very inconsistent. He excels in man coverage but isn't as physical and Rhodes, so if Quick (I'm guessing Rhodes will be covering Britt and Tavon/Captain in the slot) can get up in his face he may have some struggles.

All in all, I wouldn't underestimate our defense. We have always had talent on that side of the ball (now there is even more with Joseph, Captain and Barr as well as some quality depth) and now we have a real good defensive mind driving our team.

I know you Vikings' fans have a lot of hopes and wishes, but thinking Stacey, Cunningham, and Austin can't break off a 200+ yard game against the 31st defense is silly. I hear that you're saying they're better this season, but even if that unproven claim is true, how much better?

I'm willing to bet not better than the rams, with a healthy O line, are at making running lanes.

The rams are not the team you think they are.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
As for your receivers getting physical, both Rhodes and Captain are made for bump-n-run so there will be plenty of physicality going on regardless. Zimmer likes to use press coverage and get guys off their spot. When we are in nickle formation (Tavon being in the slot) Captain will be covering him and he is one of the best Nickel corners in the league. Your best best when in a 3 WR set is to attack the corner opposite Rhodes. Josh Robinson is our CB3 and has shown flashes of being really good but is very inconsistent. He excels in man coverage but isn't as physical and Rhodes, so if Quick (I'm guessing Rhodes will be covering Britt and Tavon/Captain in the slot) can get up in his face he may have some struggles.

You're very optimistic. Captain Munnerlyn is not made for bump and run coverage. Josh Robinson has shown flashes of being really good? He was one of the few CBs that you could argue was worse than Cortland Finnegan in 2013. The guy allowed 85% of targets to be completed on him and the QB Rating against him was 127.0. He was awful. Awful. In fact, as I recall, there were rumors all off-season that Minnesota would cut him.

All in all, I don't think anyone is underestimated your defense. Zimmer was an effective DC but we'll see how he does as a HC. But in terms of talent, your defense isn't a strong unit. They were 32nd in the NFL last year in PPG Allowed and lack difference making players. The contention that you have talent on that side of the ball, imo, isn't true. In the technical sense, yes, you have some talented players. But as an unit? No. It's not an overly talented unit on paper. You're more or less hoping that every young question mark you have reaches their full potential. Zimmer has a great reputation but again, we haven't seen him as a HC. It's a different ballgame.

You saying that we shouldn't underestimate your defense is like me saying that you shouldn't underestimate our offense. Difference is that I recognize the Rams offense is likely average at best. And that's with my hoping that Shaun Hill hasn't fallen off significantly since 2010.

The Vikings offense is their team strength. Your defense? I'd just be hoping they don't get in the way this year. I certainly wouldn't be acting as if people should fear it...or even respect it. Respect is earned.

Just my opinion.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Thanks dude. I'm not flying anywhere with this f*cking mortgage - although that would be amazing. I'm gonna watch a dodgy stream in the man cave and high five imaginary friends every time the Rams score.:cool:
Bastrd Mortgages.... hated mine when I had it ;)
BtW you will not be alone in spirit! I live in the middle of Crapboy country so only rams fan outside of my brother around here

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I know you Vikings' fans have a lot of hopes and wishes, but thinking Stacey, Cunningham, and Austin can't break off a 200+ yard game against the 31st defense is silly. I hear that you're saying they're better this season, but even if that unproven claim is true, how much better?

I'm willing to bet not better than the rams, with a healthy O line, are at making running lanes.

I agree whole heartedly, the Vikings 31st ranked passing D last year will offer us some nice opportunities if they are stacking the box and they sure as hell better not let Tavon get going. That will open up our running game that much more like in Indy. Biggest thing of anything is stopping AP plain and simple. He is going to get his whatever that happens to be, we just cant allow him to beat us.

WOwolfOL

UDFA

Thinking that this defense is the same as last years 31st rank defense is just silly. Putting aside how bad the coaching was on both sides of the ball (I really don't think you guys understand how much better the coaching will be this year), we have Harrison Smith back healthy, Rhodes and Floyd both with a year of development under them as well as finally playing to their strengths (Press man coverage for Rhodes), the addition of a good NT in Joseph, the addition of a good CB2 in Captain and having an athletic freak of nature in Barr playing as a pass rushing LB. I am willing to bet this defense is in the top half of the league by years end. I will say it could take a little while for them to find their groove (although in the preseason the have looked quite good) so purposes of this game it could be a little different of a story

WOwolfOL

UDFA
You're very optimistic. Captain Munnerlyn is not made for bump and run coverage. Josh Robinson has shown flashes of being really good? He was one of the few CBs that you could argue was worse than Cortland Finnegan in 2013. The guy allowed 85% of targets to be completed on him and the QB Rating against him was 127.0. He was awful. Awful. In fact, as I recall, there were rumors all off-season that Minnesota would cut him.
If you look at some of his games from 2012 you will see what I am talking about. He has shown that is top notch speed can translate when covering on the outside receiver. Last year our genius of a coach decided to play him in the slot all year, where he had never played before, and he got demolished. Robinson excels at outside man coverage and that is how he will be used. I'm not saying he's amazing but I also expect him to be MUCH better this year. As a CB3 I think he will fit just fine.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Thinking that this defense is the same as last years 31st rank defense is just silly. Putting aside how bad the coaching was on both sides of the ball (I really don't think you guys understand how much better the coaching will be this year), we have Harrison Smith back healthy, Rhodes and Floyd both with a year of development under them as well as finally playing to their strengths (Press man coverage for Rhodes), the addition of a good NT in Joseph, the addition of a good CB2 in Captain and having an athletic freak of nature in Barr playing as a pass rushing LB. I am willing to bet this defense is in the top half of the league by years end. I will say it could take a little while for them to find their groove (although in the preseason the have looked quite good) so purposes of this game it could be a little different of a story

I don't know why you keep repeating how bad they were last season. We know.

Guess what. Our rookies got better too. Our DC is new and improved too. We have key players back from injury too. We've added new talent too.

The Rams, who were a far better team than the Vikings last season, are going into game one in as good a shape as they have in a decade. No Bradford sucks, but Hill doesn't suck.

We'll see if your hopes and wishes come true. I'm going with the proven talent.