(VIDEO) All of Brian Quick's Touches - 2013

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

TheDYVKX

#TeamMcVay
Name
Sean McVay
Thanks Nick. I'm trying to figure out who to do next. I was leaning towards Pettis.

Could you do a one on Britt eventually? I know he wasn't a Ram then, but like his 2012 season? (because his 2013 wasn't so good and he barely touched the ball). Thanks for doing these, always great to watch. Appreciate it.

V3

Hall of Fame
Well, if you are gonna ask for the "bad, then for a total picture of his season, you would need to also include the number of routes where he was running open and Clemens never even looked at him, much less targeted him with the ball.

The "deep dig" he ran in the Carolina game, where he was behind the LBs and in front of the Safeties, when Bradford hit him on the crossing route is the very route he excels at. Yet, whenever he ran it after week 6, the ball was never thrown, even though he more often than not, was open.

At some point, people need to see things that aren't just about the STATS, and touches. All he can do is run the route that is called. Its not on him if the BACKUP QB knows he cannot make that throw.

This is not a request for X to show every snap, just pointing something out that rarely gets noticed, by the "ball watchers" and stat mongers.

I mentioned that in my next post, post #8. I agree about wanting to see him without the ball.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Nice work @-X-

He looks like he cold be a great piece to te puzzle in StL. I do not expect him to be the"true #1" guy everyone talks about but I don't think the Rams are looking for one either. Just get better at the hot reads and be on the same page as Sam and he will be a nice asset. I thought they showed some diversity in his routes and how he was beginning to really get it together with Sam.

Really loved the TD against the 9ers, nice adjustment went up and took the ball away and then held on when he hit the ground.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I mentioned that in my next post, post #8. I agree about wanting to see him without the ball.

I guess my judgment on both Quick and Pead is clouded by what I see everyday in training camp. But specifically as it pertains to Quick, when he runs that deep dig route, he is virtually uncover able. Unfortunately, the ONLY QB who can get him the ball on a consistent basis, (even in practice) is Bradford.
Watching him that route over and over again, then see either Davis or Clemens pull it down and scramble (yes, even in a 7 on 7 drill) because they just couldn't make that throw was worrisome.

I realize training camp drills can be much like flag football at times, but this guy continually shows his athleticism. I am as frustrated as anyone, by his lack of perceived development, but again, I just thing there were a lot of circumstances that played into his, and a few other WRs not living up to expectations as the year progressed.

lockdnram21

Legend
I guess my judgment on both Quick and Pead is clouded by what I see everyday in training camp. But specifically as it pertains to Quick, when he runs that deep dig route, he is virtually uncover able. Unfortunately, the ONLY QB who can get him the ball on a consistent basis, (even in practice) is Bradford.
Watching him that route over and over again, then see either Davis or Clemens pull it down and scramble (yes, even in a 7 on 7 drill) because they just couldn't make that throw was worrisome.

I realize training camp drills can be much like flag football at times, but this guy continually shows his athleticism. I am as frustrated as anyone, by his lack of perceived development, but again, I just thing there were a lot of circumstances that played into his, and a few other WRs not living up to expectations as the year progressed.

I feel if Bradford wouldn't have got hurt Quick would have between 25-30 catches. Now that's not spectacular by any means. But it would show more to his development.

A55VA6

Legend
I know this video is about Quick, but at 4:00.. that's a great play by Sam. Steps up and delivers a perfect throw. Bradford and Quick could be one hell of a combination if things start to come together.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
BTW Paulie. Thanks again for posting these. Way cool.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I got a great laugh out of watching Wade Phillips' reaction on the sidelines after the Quick TD in Houston.

rams24/7

Pro Bowler
Name
Nick
Thanks Nick. I'm trying to figure out who to do next. I was leaning towards Pettis.

I'd like that. People will be reminded how much he suffered from the change at QB. Every WR was limited with KC at the helm, but Pettis and CG have to be at the top of that list. Idk why people are so down on him. One of the most consistent pairs of hands on the team, has proven he can be a redzone target, and is a reasonable price (around $1M) for a 4th or 5th situational WR

FRO

Legend
Those were 2 dimes Bradford threw to him in the Carolina games. I have been critical of Quick. We really need him to turn it on this year. This is his third year. If he shows nothing again this year it's time to move on.

BeerOClock

Rookie
He seems to be improving. His footwork going into his breaks in the early part of the season was horrible (with the exception of slants, which he did well). Much better in the latter part of the season.

I like the way he uses his body after the catch. Shields the ball well, lowers his shoulder and moves his pads towards the end zone. Isiah Pead could learn a lot from watching him.

He may not be the gamer we were hoping for when picked at #33, but I like having him on the roster. I think he'll learn even more playing behind Britt and be a solid if not game-breaking #1 receiver sometime down the road.

Volnerman08

Rookie
He's definitely got all the tools. It's easy to see why the Rams have faith in him. If he can be consistant and Sam stays healthy all year I think he can do big things. Especially with all the help he will get from our productive run game. Just think what this offense would look like with him being productive, Tavon taking over the slot and killing it, and Jared Cook showing his potential. I know those are big ifs but we could potentially have a scary offense...

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Another great video. Thanks X!

You could actually see Quick developing as the season went on. He looked increasingly comfortable.

It's amazing how good he looks when you take out all of his bad plays, it's like I said about Clemens last year, if he did the things he does well more often and the things he does badly less often he'd be a decent player.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
I know this video is about Quick, but at 4:00.. that's a great play by Sam. Steps up and delivers a perfect throw. Bradford and Quick could be one hell of a combination if things start to come together.

Yep. I think if Stacy makes a better block there, Sam hits him in FULL stride for the TD. Heck of a throw by Sam while stepping up in pocket.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well, if you are gonna ask for the "bad, then for a total picture of his season, you would need to also include the number of routes where he was running open and Clemens never even looked at him, much less targeted him with the ball.

The "deep dig" he ran in the Carolina game, where he was behind the LBs and in front of the Safeties, when Bradford hit him on the crossing route is the very route he excels at. Yet, whenever he ran it after week 6, the ball was never thrown, even though he more often than not, was open.

At some point, people need to see things that aren't just about the STATS, and touches. All he can do is run the route that is called. Its not on him if the BACKUP QB knows he cannot make that throw.

This is not a request for X to show every snap, just pointing something out that rarely gets noticed, by the "ball watchers" and stat mongers.
I don't think there are a whole bunch of ball watchers or stat mongers here. It raises a legitimate question when you go through his game logs and he only averages one catch per game all year, regardless of who the QB is. We all know he has the physical talents. The primary concern for everyone, I think, is if he has the mental acuity to put it all together. Brandon Gibson used to be the camp hero every year. Helmick did enough to stand out in camp too. I can't speak for anyone else, but my only concern with Quick is if he can truly absorb the playbook, and not just his routes. You know that a receiver needs to be able to read a defense and know what his *three* routes are depending on what the defense is showing sometimes. That play where he got drilled in the back of the head is a prime example of what I'm talking about. When the safety came crashing down, it meant 'hot read'. He instead ran the predetermined route and wasn't a part of the adjustment Bradford was making.

If he can overcome that, then there's no problem. He'll be the #1 everyone wants, IMO.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i so wish quick and britt excel so they can be the two outside wrs. what a tag team they would be with tavon moving around everywhere.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I don't think there are a whole bunch of ball watchers or stat mongers here. It raises a legitimate question when you go through his game logs and he only averages one catch per game all year, regardless of who the QB is. We all know he has the physical talents. The primary concern for everyone, I think, is if he has the mental acuity to put it all together. Brandon Gibson used to be the camp hero every year. Helmick did enough to stand out in camp too. I can't speak for anyone else, but my only concern with Quick is if he can truly absorb the playbook, and not just his routes. You know that a receiver needs to be able to read a defense and know what his *three* routes are depending on what the defense is showing sometimes. That play where he got drilled in the back of the head is a prime example of what I'm talking about. When the safety came crashing down, it meant 'hot read'. He instead ran the predetermined route and wasn't a part of the adjustment Bradford was making.

If he can overcome that, then there's no problem. He'll be the #1 everyone wants, IMO.

I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. The thing for me, first and foremost, he has the physical tools. Those are things that are either there or they aren't. I guess the thing that I keep coming back to, is he is not that much different than MOST young WRs, in that the light bulb doesn't fully come on well into the 3rd year. This season should be tell us all a lot regarding what he can and will become.

I just think, that is Brian Quick's case, with THIS team, is he is held to higher standard because of the lack of production as a group by this unit, and because there are so many who feel because of his draft position, then somehow he "needs" be an instant success. Because he hasn't lived up to expectations (of fans and media) there are those who have already written him off as a "bust".

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't disagree with anything you wrote here. The thing for me, first and foremost, he has the physical tools. Those are things that are either there or they aren't. I guess the thing that I keep coming back to, is he is not that much different than MOST young WRs, in that the light bulb doesn't fully come on well into the 3rd year. This season should be tell us all a lot regarding what he can and will become.

I just think, that is Brian Quick's case, with THIS team, is he is held to higher standard because of the lack of production as a group by this unit, and because there are so many who feel because of his draft position, then somehow he "needs" be an instant success. Because he hasn't lived up to expectations (of fans and media) there are those who have already written him off as a "bust".
Agreed. The instant success of guys like Green, Jones, Allen, etc., has tricked fans into thinking that's the norm now. When in fact there are a hundred times the amount of receivers who came into the league and needed development. None moreso than Quick. The leap from App State to the NFL is enormous, and his playbook while there was non-existent. If he busts, it won't be because he's not a special talent. It'll be because his mental grasp of the game never caught up with his physical gifts. I'm with you in that this is the year that it *should* happen. And I think the coaches/GM are confident it will too.