(VIDEO) All of Brian Quick's Touches - 2013

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

FRO

Legend
I wasn't expecting immediate success from Quick. I was expecting him to make a steady climb and by the end of year two be a guy the coaches would leave on the field. That wasn't the case. He has physical tools for sure. Nobody can deny that. The problem is can he mentally get it. If he doesn't get it this year he never will.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I wasn't expecting immediate success from Quick. I was expecting him to make a steady climb and by the end of year two be a guy the coaches would leave on the field. That wasn't the case. He has physical tools for sure. Nobody can deny that. The problem is can he mentally get it. If he doesn't get it this year he never will.

And why is this any different from the majority of young WRs who need time to develop? Its never the physical part that takes time, its ALWAYS the mental part, don't you agree? Especially when they young WR is the one counted on to be "the guy". As opposed to many of the other young WRs who had an established veteran such as B. Marshall/Alshon Jeffrey, Roddy White/Julio Jones, Torry Holt/Isaac Bruce.

I maintain, that if A. Jeffrey would have been thrust into the Rams situation, he would likely have struggled much more than the has in his first two years. Obviously, he s made tremendous strides from year one to year two. But again, he had a much better situation than what Quick has had to endure.

FRO

Legend
I agree Jeffery had a much better situation, but he is a much better player at this point. I also feel Rueben Randle had a better situation, but is a much better player at this point. I treated 2013 as Quick's rookie year. It was a disappointing year from him for me. I feel Stedman Bailey showed so much more than Quick. I wanted to see improvement as the year went on from Quick and I didn't see that. I know we can blame Clemens, but I feel that is a cop out. Bailey didn't play with Bradford, but he showed ability with Clemens. I hope Quick gets it. I'm not holding my breath though and if I had to bet I would bet heavily that he never gets it.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Appreciate the video, thanks for posting it.

It pretty much backs up what so many said during the season: why wasn't he more of the offense. I wanted to choke him when he missed that hot read and was doinked in the back of his helmet but the dude just stands out with his ability, he is truly gifted. He really is a nightmare for DBs when he does get the ball in his hand. Very good initial moves upon catching, hard to bring down, and yes when he goes you'd better have a safety over the top.

I want to see him get contested throws his way, think the guy can come down with most of them. And I would hope that by next season he will have awareness of wtf is going on so he can handle a basic hot read. Man it would be huge for this offense for him to arrive next year. Crossin my fingers.

Been trying to upload this video all week, only to realise I'd already uploaded it :oops:, every Quick target all 22 film, not as good quality but should be a nice compliment to this video.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree Jeffery had a much better situation, but he is a much better player at this point. I also feel Rueben Randle had a better situation, but is a much better player at this point. I treated 2013 as Quick's rookie year. It was a disappointing year from him for me. I feel Stedman Bailey showed so much more than Quick. I wanted to see improvement as the year went on from Quick and I didn't see that. I know we can blame Clemens, but I feel that is a cop out. Bailey didn't play with Bradford, but he showed ability with Clemens. I hope Quick gets it. I'm not holding my breath though and if I had to bet I would bet heavily that he never gets it.

How is blaming Clemens a cop out? And when you say that Bailey showed more, do you think than maybe it might just be that it was because he was getting the ball thrown to him? By a QB who he had taken reps with the majority of the year.

Even in training camp, while Brian Quick was taking quite a few 1st unit reps, alternating with Pettis at the "X", while Bailey was taking ALL of his reps with the 2s and 3s (as was Clemens). I also don't get why so many seem to think that Bailey set the world on fire last year. He averaged TWO catches a game the last half of the season. While I am not trying to disparage his role, I wouldn't be so quick to anoint him the second coming just yet either.

As far as Jeffrey and Randle, to say they are "much better players", thank you Cap't Obvious! Once again, I say put them in Quick's shoes on THIS team, and I wouldn't be so sure.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Been trying to upload this video all week, only to realise I'd already uploaded it :oops:, every Quick target all 22 film, not as good quality but should be a nice compliment to this video.

Awesome, dude. Now I can scratch that off my list. (y)

FRO

Legend
Quick had plenty of reps with Clemens over a 2 years span for there to be enough chemistry. I don't buy that Clemens ignored Quick. Bailey got open and caught the football consistently. Look at the Bailey video of touches.

Also Alshon Jeffery would put up numbers here. He may not have the total success he has had in Chicago due to having Brandon Marshall on the other side of him, but the guy is a much much much better player than Quick. Randle is more of a toss up than Jeffrey, but my opinion is he is a much better WR than Quick. Not hating on Quick but he hasn't been good enough. He just hasn't and he is on a team that doesn't have much in the WR department. He hasn't been blocked by anybody on the depth chart. That's just how it is.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Appreciate the video, thanks for posting it.

It pretty much backs up what so many said during the season: why wasn't he more of the offense. I wanted to choke him when he missed that hot read and was doinked in the back of his helmet but the dude just stands out with his ability, he is truly gifted. He really is a nightmare for DBs when he does get the ball in his hand. Very good initial moves upon catching, hard to bring down, and yes when he goes you'd better have a safety over the top.

I want to see him get contested throws his way, think the guy can come down with most of them. And I would hope that by next season he will have awareness of wtf is going on so he can handle a basic hot read. Man it would be huge for this offense for him to arrive next year. Crossin my fingers.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why was there a hot route needed on that play?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Please forgive my ignorance, but why was there a hot route needed on that play?
Safety came crashing down and Bradford saw blitz. After watching though, I'm not sure that Quick even had the right play in his head because it looked like he was blocking out for a run play. Kendricks did the same thing once against Green Bay in 2011.

Memphis Ram

Legend
Safety came crashing down and Bradford saw blitz. After watching though, I'm not sure that Quick even had the right play in his head because it looked like he was blocking out for a run play. Kendricks did the same thing once against Green Bay in 2011.

That's what I question. It looks like he was blocking. Could it have been a missed audible?

Either way what confused me was the safety was backing back out prior to the snap, so it didn't seem to be a need for a hot read to me.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
That's what I question. It looks like he was blocking. Could it have been a missed audible?

Either way what confused me was the safety was backing back out prior to the snap, so it didn't seem to be a need for a hot read to me.
Yeah, the whole thing was botched from the get-go. I didn't hear any audible, but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Clearly receiver and QB weren't on the same page though, and that's fine. Shit happens.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
And someone is eventually gonna do this, so it might as well be me.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo

Thanks posting these vids fellas. Good stuff.
A few things.
Quick still needs a heavy dose of awareness.
The pass protection was awful early on and got noticeably better when the offense became more balanced. Sam will go downfield when he gets quality pass pro.
Why does the Ed turf look like it's been rained on?

ChrisW

Stating the obvious

My lord, if he puts it together he's going to be a monster. He's a hard man to bring down.

He seems to always be down on himself. Even when he makes a play, but doesn't quite extend it as far as he could have, he kinda slaps the ball in disappointment. He's gotta learn to take what he can get.