Training Camp (WED Aug-16)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I've been on both sides of the fence on Rogers. He is smallish but quick to the block. We didn't see much him much at all in game one. Let's see if he gets more PT this week. It could have been by design to use him in week two.

He brings more to the table Chase Reynolds did last year. Harkey is such a
Quality guy. Wonder how it will all play out. The Rams just did a little segment on Rogers this week. That has to be a good sign for him.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I think your out of your mind , but ok . Lol

They have a whole season ahead of them. I hope your wrong . Rookies ??

#1 draft pick type ??

Kemdechi vs Caleb I think he was a steal in the draft.
LMAO....so does my wife sometimes....people don't take preseason seriously...but the first series....and the 2nd string are some key times to evaluate players. Brown looked worse than the rookies he faced. In the first preseason game...If the DT had blown out Gurley's knee, then....THEN it would be a big deal...

Kemdechi has always looked like a good player...oh yeah, really liked him after the combine too. I can't think of the names of the SF DL....but with Thomas added...that front 7 looks good...on paper of course...Seattle is loaded up front. And Arizona...one of the best defenses in the league...and reports that Kemdechi is looking like a beast...he looked good in that preseason game...think they played the Raiders.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I'd like to know if the passes from Goff were more intermediate or deep throws. It's understandable that turnovers are likely to happen at those ranges.

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I read some posts on another board (starts with an H) pretty critical of Gurley, so I watched the Gurley sequences again.

Lots of Oline blame to pass around on that right side. JB missed that first block pretty badly. Dallas had a slant going on most of the snaps.

Most of the runs were to that right side and most didn't do much.

Saw Sullivan get stood up and shed. Saw big Rob get beat twice.

Higbee, for all his size, is matador-like in the run game; if he's a slot TE that doesn't block, fine. But in-line, I bet he got his ass chewed.

Dallas had 9 in the box on most of that sequence. Sometimes you got to beat 9 in the box but it wasn't happening last Saturday.

I want to see Gurley with more carries for sure.

TexasRam

Legend
Regarding Jamon Brown. I went and rewatched all his blocks last night.

He did pretty solid in pass pro really. And in the run game he was also solid with the exception of the one bad play on the second snap. There was a few more where he didn't have ideal blocks and wasn't able to engage as long as he needs to so his man would come in and get to the ball, not make the tackle but be in position to.

Overall he has a solid game. He had quick feet, gets good push and was real solid in the pass game. His assignment pickup was also pretty sound. He does lack the ability to sustain blocks like the good lineman do, so that's concerning.

Definetly wasn't getting beat all night. But has room to improve sustaining blocks so his man doesn't get in on late tackles.

Not as concerned as I originally was, but you have to wonder how he stacks up against starter defenders.

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception
So you want Gurley to get hurt in preseason trying to gain a couple more yards, people forget that Gurley is learning a new system too, it just baffles me how people are so patient with Goff but everybody else from Tavon to Gurley they ready to let go, these two guys have actually PRODUCED and WON games for us meanwhile Goff is 0-7 but somehow he gets all the latitude,

What others said. I am not hoping anyone gets hurt. But breaking a few tackles, showing patience, and vision should be paramount at this point in time. The old Gurley indeed

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
LMAO....so does my wife sometimes....people don't take preseason seriously...but the first series....and the 2nd string are some key times to evaluate players. Brown looked worse than the rookies he faced. In the first preseason game...If the DT had blown out Gurley's knee, then....THEN it would be a big deal...

Kemdechi has always looked like a good player...oh yeah, really liked him after the combine too. I can't think of the names of the SF DL....but with Thomas added...that front 7 looks good...on paper of course...Seattle is loaded up front. And Arizona...one of the best defenses in the league...and reports that Kemdechi is looking like a beast...he looked good in that preseason game...think they played the Raiders.

I'm always drinking the Kool-aide this time of year. Will continue to monitor the preseason. I think it a good thing Brown got beat like that. It will only make him better.
I also think he just got back to playing RG again. I believe RT is a better fit for him? Kromer has a handle on it. I trust his evaluation & like that The Rams have 2 veteran leaders in the O'lineman room which the young lineman have never had before.

Worse than his rookie year though is a freaking stretch. Like playdo Man. Roll it a stretch it, but I think he breaks some of his bad habits.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
These days I don't see how Sam Rogers makes the team if Davis and Brown get their fumbling under control. He's not big enough to lead block. Not sure he's gonna offer more than others on ST yet....

Harkey will prob make it as fullback.

Yeah, I'm kinda sensing that those guys might be fighting for 1 spot.

Shame to cut a guy like Rogers who has been giving it all every day and on every chance, but Harkey has size and experience on him.

It might just come down to STs. I know they have both been getting their share of reps there.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
These days I don't see how Sam Rogers makes the team if Davis and Brown get their fumbling under control. He's not big enough to lead block. Not sure he's gonna offer more than others on ST yet....

It is weird that we haven't even seen them attempt to use Rogers up to this point.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What others said. I am not hoping anyone gets hurt. But breaking a few tackles, showing patience, and vision should be paramount at this point in time. The old Gurley indeed
On 4 carries when 2 of them got stopped before he got the ball.

WestCoastRam

Legend
My guess is Rogers goes PS. He prob needs a full year in the weight room before he can really do any damage blocking in the NFL. At least, lead blocking.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

This should be a real battle, but my money is still on Rogers. First, he's a McVay guy, not Fisher. Second, he's got that fireplug build you like in a true FB, short stocky powerful and with good hands. While he may give up 25 lbs or so to the much taller Harkey, that 6" difference keeps Rogers lower and under the pads of just about every defensive player he'll be up against, breaking/slipping tackles is easier for Rogers than a more traditionally sized TE at the FB position. I can't explain why Fisher basically abandoned Harkey last season, in 2015 he had a very good year, both blocking and receiving on those few occasions the ball came his way. Gurley did well his rookie year with Harkey blocking and his performance fell off a good deal last season while Harkey was left on the bench. If we had room for him, i'd like to keep Harkey as an in-line blocker, problem is, if McVay wants to make use of a more traditional FB, Rogers probably has to be his choice imo. If I recall correctly, Kromer's Buffalo offense made really good use of FB Jerome Felton's blocking for LeSean McCoy, and Rogers is also likely to see more passes come his way than Felton did. Rogers' RB at VTech sang his praises over his blocking and receiving abilities regularly, and Rogers became a pretty rare FB star for his team. Rogers is also 5 years younger than Harkey, and rookie TE Everett has been receiving significant praise in practice as he's gaining momentum as a decent blocker himself. Harkey has been one of those mostly out the spotlight fan favorites for awhile, but Rogers may be the better football player for the McVay/Kromer/LaFleur express. Would like to see Rogers & Harkey get some significant time & snaps in the upcoming game in Oakland. jmo.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Disappointment from the offense in yesterday's practice? This isn't no R&R in Camp Fisher anymore!

It's still soft compared to two-a-days, live tackling almost every practice for weeks that used to take place....