Training Camp (WED Aug-16)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2D01F431-30EB-4E89-89D2-CC06D3C75337_zpsayd77it8.jpg

View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Top-Takeaways-from-Day-14/e5167e35-7cab-4fba-8424-e936b10bdb6f

Training Camp Report: Top Takeaways from Day 14

The team was back in full pads during Day 14 of training camp in a high intensity practice session. Today marked the team’s last full-padded practice of training camp before the team travels to Oakland to face the Raiders in Week 2 of the preseason.

The two hour practice was full of energy on both sides of the ball and featured new wide receiver Sammy Watkins being worked in with the first and second team offenses, after observing the majority of yesterday’s session. Here’s everything you need to know from Day 14 of Rams Camp:

TOP TAKEAWAYS

1. Watkins taking more reps at receiver

Watkins, who was traded to the Rams from the Bills just five days ago, saw a lot more action in his second practice on Tuesday. The receiver took a lot of reps during the individual drills, recording an impressive deep catch from quarterback Jared Goff in the offense-only section.

While Watkins begins to familiarize himself with the Rams’ playbook, McVay says he will be slowly worked into the offense during the rest of the preseason. But McVay did mention that he was “pleased” with the receiver’s progress thus far.

“He’s picking things up fairly quickly,” McVay said. “It’s a tough time to come in, in terms of where we’re at in the installation because pretty much everything is in. We’ve gotten all of our situations, so we’re going a little bit faster than you’d be accustomed to earlier on. But, I thought he picked things up well.”

During the one-on-ones session, Watkins had a nice catch in the end zone, reaching over cornerback Troy Hill for the touchdown. He also had a couple of solid grabs in the team’s 11-on-11 drills on passes from Goff and Sean Mannion. As the next two days of practice unfold, we should see him targeted more in the full team drills and situational work.

“He was able to make some nice catches and you can see the movement,” McVay said. “And once he continues to get more and more comfortable, I think you’ll see him be able to play even faster.”

2. Rookie report

One rookie who had a standout day at practice was wide receiver Josh Reynolds. The Rams drafted the former Texas A&M standout in the fourth round of this year’s draft, but has been kept off the field for the majority of training camp due to a quad injury.

After returning to camp late last week, Reynolds was flying all over the field in today’s session. The receiver was targeted heavily and recorded a slew of catches even in heavy coverage situations. In this afternoon’s 7-on-7 drills, Reynolds ran straight downfield before cutting up the middle to grab a perfectly-timed ball from Goff. Later in the team’s 11-on-11 work, the receiver had back-to-back catches on quick corner routes from Mannion, grabbing onto both balls in traffic.

Though the Rams’ offense currently has 12 receivers on its active roster, including newly-signed Watkins, Reynolds did a good job today proving himself worthy of a 53-man roster spot. After practice, McVay told reporters that Reynolds “was continuing to grow” and was excited to see him take the field on Saturday.

He looked good. He was able to track some balls down the field,” McVay said. “Josh is one of those guys that — he’s got a great stride length, consistently made big plays throughout the course of his career in college and he’s kind of one of those guys that’s deceivingly fast. So it will be good to get Josh back out there and watch him compete.”

3. Goff bounces back

Goff once again had an up and down practice, throwing two interceptions after being picked off three times on Monday. The first came from rookie safety John Johnson during 11-on-11, when Johnson lept over wide receiver Pharoh Cooper make the pick. In the same set of drills, Goff was intercepted again — this time by safety Cody Davis on a deflected pass to Watkins.

While Goff was up-and-down throughout 11-on-11 session, the quarterback seemed virtually unfazed, bouncing back to drive the offense downfield during situational drills. After two completed passes to tight end Tyler Higbee, Goff threw a beautiful ball downfield right over the head of the defender to tight end Gerald Everett for the touchdown.

The Rams’ defense has made it tough for Goff in the passing game over the last few practices, but McVay was quick to praise his quarterback’s ability to respond in the face of turnovers.

“At some point you’re going to turn the football over — it’s an occupational hazard as a quarterback,” McVay said. “The one thing you do appreciate about him is that when mistakes occur you don’t sense that he’s phased by it. He’s able to take it for what it is and then try to correct it moving forward.”

“When you make good decisions with the football, get the ball into your playmakers hands,” he added, “you give yourself your chance to play efficient football offensively and specifically through the pass game.”

FIELD-LEVEL OBSERVATIONS

• In the same session, wide receiver Robert Woods put the moves on cornerback Mike Jordan, juking the defender for a touchdown play.
  • Defensive tackle Tanzel Smart continued to prove his worth as a solid rotational option on the D-line. During team drills, he had a would-be sack on Mannion, getting past the offensive line quickly to blitz the quarterback.
  • Cornerback Aarion Penton grabbed the last interception of the day, picking off a tipped pass from Mannion to tight end Temarrick Hemmingway.

PARTICIPATION REPORT

Wide receiver Tavon Austin will remain sidelined for the rest of the week. McVay said that the staff is hoping Austin will “be able to compete in some of the preseason games,” but getting him ready for the season opener against the Colts is the priority.

“In the meantime, like we’ve talked about, we’ll control what we can control and that’s him doing a great job with his rehab, staying up on it in the classroom,” McVay said. “And when that time comes that Director of Sports Medicine and Performance Reggie Scott and our training staff decide that he’s ready to go, we’ll be excited to have Tavon back out there.”

Outside linebackers Samson Ebukam and Ejuan Price, cornerbacks Kayvon Webster and Nickell Robey-Coleman, as well as wide receiver Nelson Spruce did not participate in today’s practice. Veteran linebacker Robert Quinn was limited in the afternoon session.

PRESS POINTS

After practice linebacker Alec Ogletree discussed what he thought of the defense’s performance against the Cowboys last week. Catch up on his best points from Day 14 of Rams Camp:

ALEC OGLETREE:

On what he thought of the defense as a whole in the preseason opener: “It was definitely good to get back to football again, especially against another team. I was really pleased with how we performed for the first time going out there as a group. The first game is just about, mainly getting the jitters out and just kind of going out there and doing what you’ve been doing all camp, just against another team. We definitely have a lot to work on, but I thought we got off to a good start on Saturday

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
John Johnson is coming on, he has been hurt . He continues to show.

MJ has been getting burned. He got a high report for Saturday. Like the highest rating from some site ?? 91% ?? All I know is he missed a tackle & Marshall said he has to make that play to stop a 3rd down. The play went for 7 extra yards.

Webster & Robey are fine as far as being starters. Best to rest them. Competition for the DB's is fierce .

Same with WR's. The Rams have to keep 7 . Spruuce & Harkey will probably get cut ?

I've said all along Rams keep less offensive lineman. I noticed Kromer JR . really gets into the game.

What really pusses me off extremely right now is that Ram fans want to dig Jamon Brown for one freaking missed block to start off the game for a 3 yard loss, in which they ended up scoring on sort of speak.
I say go back and look at the tape !!

Goff is going to have his ups & downs. I think McVay is pushing him to look through his progressions a little more.
The Rams defense has brought high energy. Tavon is going to be back soon , so that will be a added bonus.
Who was that WR slot guy from I Florida that just made plays, but was always injured.(Percey Harvin) that was a excellent weapon.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
John Johnson is coming on, he has been hurt . He continues to show.

MJ has been getting burned. He got a high report for Saturday. Like the highest rating from some site ?? 91% ?? All I know is he missed a tackle & Marshall said he has to make that play to stop a 3rd down. The play went for 7 extra yards.

Webster & Robey are fine as far as being starters. Best to rest them. Competition for the DB's is fierce .

Same with WR's. The Rams have to keep 7 . Spruuce & Harkey will probably get cut ?

I've said all along Rams keep less offensive lineman. I noticed Kromer JR . really gets into the game.

What really pusses me off extremely right now is that Ram fans want to dig Jamon Brown for one freaking missed block to start off the game for a 3 yard loss, in which they ended up scoring on sort of speak.

Goff is going to have his ups & downs. I think McVay is pushing him to look through his progressions a little more.
The Rams defense has brought high energy. Tavon is going to be back soon , so that will be a added bonus.
Who was that WR slot guy from I Florida that just made plays, but was always injured.(Percey Harvin) that was a excellent weapon.

To be fair, it wasn't one play that Jamon was beat. It was every running play that Gurley had to that side.

But I like Jamon. Hope he can bounce back, because we actually have a couple decent options if he can't get his shit together.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
To be fair, it wasn't one play that Jamon was beat. It was every running play that Gurley had to that side.

But I like Jamon. Hope he can bounce back, because we actually have a couple decent options if he can't get his crap together.

I think his shit is together.Which play are you referring to. I call BS !!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think in general fans (myself included) don't really go by total view. Make to much judgement in the moment.Then make that fact.
Kirk Cousins had a horrible preseason last season, only to play at pro bowl level.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I already told you. On the Gurley runs. They all went to Jamon and he was blown up in the backfield.

That such TOTAL BS !!! Go look at the tape !!

Second run it was Sullivan's man. Brown almost helped out , but went blocked a LBer ,If Sullivan secures his block Gurley could have had a three yard gain. There were still 2 other defenders besides the guy Brown blocked 3 yards downfield. He could have held his block more.

Next run Big Rob let his guy get inside.Brown Did his job. He was 3 yards downfield again.Everett ,Robert Woods were even blocking.

On Gurley next run Jamon Brown & Big Rob totally secured & sealed there blocks. Robert Woods missed a block with a safety flying in but was a 4 yard gain.

Then Brown blocks the rest of the quarter doing well. Pass protection was solid .

SteezyEndo

The Immaculate Exception

Second run it was Sullivan's man. Brown almost helped out , but went blocked a LBer ,If Sullivan secures his block Gurley could have had a three yard gain. There were still 2 other defenders besides the guy Brown blocked 3 yards downfield. He could have held his block more.

Next run Big Rob let his guy get inside.Brown Did his job. He was 3 yards downfield again.Everett ,Robert Woods were even blocking.

On Gurley next run Jamon Brown & Big Rob totally secured & sealed there blocks. Robert Woods missed a block with a safety flying in but was a 4 yard gain.

Then Brown blocks the rest of the quarter doing well. Pass protection was solid .

Gurley is going to have to show more 'oomph' in his runs. JD needs to work on those hands, but the way he approached the line patiently and saw the gap and opened full throttle was showing top tier vision. Gurley needs to find his mojo again.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Gurley is going to have to show more 'oomph' in his runs. JD needs to work on those hands, but the way he approached the line patiently and saw the gap and opened full throttle was showing top tier vision. Gurley needs to find his mojo again.

Against San Diego he made some real good runs on the left side.It's a team effort. Jamon Brown shouldn't be getting as much blame as he is. I thought besides a couple plays he played well.
Pace Murray was a total disappointment against Dallas.

The offensive line in a whole did not play that badly.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
MJ has been getting burned. He got a high report for Saturday. Like the highest rating from some site ??
Pro Footbal Focus....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-los-angeles-rams-13-dallas-cowboys-10
CB Michael Jordan, 91.2 overall grade
Jordan played up to his lofty name making numerous plays in the passing game all night. On his five coverage targets, he surrendered just one catch for 11 yards with two passes defenced. Quarterbacks targeting Jordan posted just a 39.6 passer rating.

I read an interesting quote from McVay about Gurley....really high praise...best player ON TEAM type stuff...let me look for it...not posted...it'll be on PFT...Florio stuff....My point, nobody wants to see Todd Gurley getting blown up on the first touch of the season by some rookie DT, especially Sean McVay....because Brown is still missing blocks like he's a rookie. Havenstein too....that side was awful vs the run...vs ROOKIES....we play in the NFC west...some of the best DT's in the league...Kemdechi of AZ....Bennett & that kid outta Bama from Seattle. SF and those big ole boys...I say Brown needs to go...so does Havenstein...but of course, it's only the first game...maybe they can make some adjustments.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Your ability to dissect film is what's bs. I watched the film. Have gamepass. Just watched it again. Gurley run #1, Brown absolutely destroyed, 100% his fault. The play action pass to Kupp, thank god it wasn't roll out to the right, as Brown was bullrushed about 6 yards into the backfield. The very next Gurley run, as you mentioned, he was at the second level, but his man still beat him and a crowd of cowboys tackled Gurley for a loss. Was it all his fault? Course not, three lineman fucked up on that play. The very last Gurley run to the right side, Brown actually ended up near the left side of the o line, as he was bullrushed about 3 yards into the backfield. Had it been a run to the left, it's a 3 yard loss. I will admit, he looked pretty good on 3 of the pass plays. But that's about it.

WestCoastRam

Legend
These days I don't see how Sam Rogers makes the team if Davis and Brown get their fumbling under control. He's not big enough to lead block. Not sure he's gonna offer more than others on ST yet....

Harkey will prob make it as fullback.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you want Gurley to get hurt in preseason trying to gain a couple more yards, people forget that Gurley is learning a new system too, it just baffles me how people are so patient with Goff but everybody else from Tavon to Gurley they ready to let go, these two guys have actually PRODUCED and WON games for us meanwhile Goff is 0-7 but somehow he gets all the latitude,

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno what will happen with Rogers, but I'm just not gonna be the guy who counts him out.

I just feel it's bad juju to bet against that level of determination.

He may not make the team, but dang if I'm gonna put any negative energy out there about his chances.

dolphinlover123

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
So you want Gurley to get hurt in preseason trying to gain a couple more yards, people forget that Gurley is learning a new system too, it just baffles me how people are so patient with Goff but everybody else from Tavon to Gurley they ready to let go, these two guys have actually PRODUCED and WON games for us meanwhile Goff is 0-7 but somehow he gets all the latitude,
I don't think anyone wants to ditch Gurley at this point. Putting aside the fact that Tavon's been on the team for longer, the biggest possible reason for his departure would be his $/production IMO.

Plus, there are plenty that are ready to let Goff go... Maybe less on this site, but there are. I promise.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

If Gurley gets hurt, he gets hurt. I'd rather see him look like the Gurley of old. I'm not saying he needs to pass on going out of bounds to try and earn an extra yard or two in the preseason, but I would like to see him break tackles and rip off some nice runs.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Your ability to dissect film is what's bs. I watched the film. Have gamepass. Just watched it again. Gurley run #1, Brown absolutely destroyed, 100% his fault. The play action pass to Kupp, thank god it wasn't roll out to the right, as Brown was bullrushed about 6 yards into the backfield. The very next Gurley run, as you mentioned, he was at the second level, but his man still beat him and a crowd of cowboys tackled Gurley for a loss. Was it all his fault? Course not, three lineman freaked up on that play. The very last Gurley run to the right side, Brown actually ended up near the left side of the o line, as he was bullrushed about 3 yards into the backfield. Had it been a run to the left, it's a 3 yard loss. I will admit, he looked pretty good on 3 of the pass plays. But that's about it.

He knows the play , so of course you want the defender to go the other way.
Was it totally his fault . If that run play has a whole he has that LBer. Yes you are right he didn't hold his block though.
There were other plays in the quarter as well that he & Big Rob blocked well. You can neat pick all you want. He didn't play that poorly.

Freaking Pace Murray flat out got beat a lot. If Brown had half as poorly of a game as him I would be furiously upset , worried.

Ram65

Legend
These days I don't see how Sam Rogers makes the team if Davis and Brown get their fumbling under control. He's not big enough to lead block. Not sure he's gonna offer more than others on ST yet....

Harkey will prob make it as fullback.

I've been on both sides of the fence on Rogers. He is smallish but quick to the block. We didn't see much him much at all in game one. Let's see if he gets more PT this week. It could have been by design to use him in week two.

Last edited:

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Pro Footbal Focus....
https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/pro-refocused-los-angeles-rams-13-dallas-cowboys-10

I read an interesting quote from McVay about Gurley....really high praise...best player ON TEAM type stuff...let me look for it...not posted...it'll be on PFT...Florio stuff....My point, nobody wants to see Todd Gurley getting blown up on the first touch of the season by some rookie DT, especially Sean McVay....because Brown is still missing blocks like he's a rookie. Havenstein too....that side was awful vs the run...vs ROOKIES....we play in the NFC west...some of the best DT's in the league...Kemdechi of AZ....Bennett & that kid outta Bama from Seattle. SF and those big ole boys...I say Brown needs to go...so does Havenstein...but of course, it's only the first game...maybe they can make some adjustments.

I think your out of your mind , but ok . Lol

They have a whole season ahead of them. I hope your wrong . Rookies ??

#1 draft pick type ??

Kemdechi vs Caleb I think he was a steal in the draft.