Training Camp (WED Aug-09)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
If Shakir Ryan can show as a punt returner, can he slip onto the squad? I think you'd at least have to give him the last WR spot until Thomas gets back and then who knows...

My opinion.... he is not catching and returning Punts any better then the guys in front of him, and he's not outplaying any other receiver on offense. He has improved over last weekend ; he was not very good at the start. He has a long way to go in order to make the team.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My opinion.... he is not catching and returning Punts any better then the guys in front of him, and he's not outplaying any other receiver on offense. He has improved over last weekend ; he was not very good at the start. He has a long way to go in order to make the team.

Did you see him right after Kupps punt return ? Way more explosive.

He also caught a ball on the First unit.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Did you see him right after Kupps punt return ? Way more explosive.

He also caught a ball on the First unit.

Problem for him is that Kupp is the backup PR. Tavon already gives us that explosiveness as a PR. With how competitive things are at WR, I don't see us keeping a PR when we already have Tavon. If he was an elite KR, that would be his path to a job imo.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Bosa has beaten plenty of tackles. As long as he gives Goff good protection the majority of the time he's doing his job.

Plus, in a real game, I'd expect us to help Rob out with a guy like Bosa. But I think @So Ram was just letting RamBall know who picked up the sack.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Bosa has beaten plenty of tackles. As long as he gives Goff good protection the majority of the time he's doing his job.

True , but Brown was as well . Will see if they switch back.

The underrated STAR is Pace Murray. He is the next man up. He will play guard or tackle. He just a baller. The Rams have him switching everywhere.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Plus, in a real game, I'd expect us to help Rob out with a guy like Bosa. But I think @So Ram was just letting RamBall know who picked up the sack.

True - that is what I was saying. It was at the end of practice.

Roger Saffold went down. He got crushed A bit.. Someone It looked like his left knee. He got up & was able to pass protect.He supported Sullivan with a lineman. I think only a 3 man rush ?
He did look like he was gingerly. After that.

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg
You can fire Jeff Fisher, but his spirit lives on.:boxing:
We have a saying where I live... "You can take the boy out of Butte, but you can never take Butte out of the boy! Sounds similar here, don't you think?

theduke

Rookie
Camp Reporter
I haven't done any long write ups on training camp, even though I go to every one. I've actually now got it timed up so that I arrive just in time for scrimmages, 7-on-7s, 11-on-11s, and red zone drills rather than boring drills. I was telling @VeteranRamFan that I can get to the practice field from my home in about 4 minutes.

Anyway, here goes my report today.

I was on the near field where we normally see the offense practice. My reasoning is that our defense will be fine. If the offense can keep them off the field for a few long stretches every game and if we don't have any major injuries, we have a top-5/top-3 defense. So, I don't really watch the defense anymore.

Drill Set #1

RBs/TEs vs. their LBs

Essentially, we had our TEs and RBs running different routes against their LBs. This was a 1v1 drill, so the RB/TE was matched up against the LB. Most of the RBs had out routes and wheel routes, while the TEs were working on seam routes and post/corner routes. Our RBs were giving them fits in coverage. Their defenders could not stop the RBs on most plays. It was so bad that in some cases, it looked like the defenders were sitting in zone because they seemed to let up after the first five yards. This may be by design. I don't know if LAC (because the Chargers are now the Los Angeles Clippers of the NFL) plays a zone-heavy defense, but the LBs may cover the RBs for the first five yards before releasing to help over the top. (I'm throwing them a bone here!)

Similarly, the TEs were doing very, very well on their deep routes against the LBs. At one point, I turned to my left just in time to see a LAC player who faked out of his boots and on the ground, while our TE had an easy 15-20 yd. completion. I didn't see too much because I was too busy watching...

WRs vs. their DBs

Goff and Mannion looked fantastic in this drill. There were some drops, but for the most part, they made good, accurate passes, mostly to the outside. The best WRs were Cooper Kupp, as always, Nelson Spruce, and Robert Woods. Kupp mostly seems to run hitches and deep dig routes. Woods tends to run a lot of 7/8/9-type routes, with the occasional out route or comeback, and Spruce runs a lot of in routes and slants. Spruce has amazing hands and great quickness. He's a lot like Amendola, in my mind. They seem to catch balls well despite being covered or held. Woods, on the other hand, does a great job by getting good separation. In traffic, he definitely struggles to locate the ball and snag it.

Kupp? He does both very well. I hate to make the comparison, but he's kinda like Jerry Rice. His 40 time is 4.65 or something "terrible" like that, just like Jerry Rice. However, his route running is so crisp and his feints are very good. He sets up the defender well. He also uses some contact to knock his defender off balance just before the ball gets there. He did get caught of OPI once, but he does it very subtly. He's going to be our leading receiver, 100% He's already got Goff's eye. Goff often goes to him in third down situations because he knows Kupp will be open and that he'll catch the ball.

Drill Set #2

RBs against LBs in 1v1 blitz pick-up

Rams RBs need a lot of help in this area. They often failed to hold the LB for long, but we have to remember that RBs just need to knock the LB off course in a real game. They don't have to have the blocking power of an O-lineman, so they just need to thwart the LB a bit. Still, this is not a pretty sight, especially concerning given that we're often in 11 personnel, with three receivers. This means that there is no second TE lined up alongside the O-line. May the best blocker stay in on 3rd down situations. In my opinion, it looked like we are going to opt to motion the RB out to create a five-option passing situation to let Goff pick apart the defense quickly rather than keep the RB in to block. Seeing how poorly the RBs impeded the progress of the rushing LB, I'm glad we're doing that. Forget keeping Todd in to block the blitz; let him go out and be another receiving threat and maybe the defense will break down somewhere. None of these RBs are going to be anything close to #28 in pass protection.

The best defense is a good offense, as they say. This will be a problem in 3rd/4th and long situations because the defense will probably bring a DB blitz or a dog blitz to disrupt the longer passing plays.

Scrimmage

Scrimmage was interesting. Our offense was on the near field while the defense was on the far field, so I only saw the offense's plays.

Everything was going just fine when players on the offense's field started running off towards the defense's field. Well, sorta. You see, the LAC defenders ditched the scrimmage to go looking for a fight on the far field. However, the Rams offense stayed put. This just goes to show you the different mentalities of the defense and offense. As @VeteranRamFan put it, "The offense doesn't want to get into a fight because they might injure their hands." The defensive-minded players are always looking for someone to hit. :-D

When their defense returned, scrimmage resumed. Again, Spruce, Woods, and Kupp dominated. Hemingway and Higbee also did very well. Higbee is going to be the type of tight end that takes the lid off the defense because the safety sometimes gets distracted by the slot receiver (usu. Kupp/Spruce/Pharoh) or the wideout (usu. Woods). I am expecting big things from the TEs. Hemingway almost always is an in-line TE, meaning he is usually lined up next to a T. Gerald Everett and Higbee sometimes line up on the outside, even in 12-personnel (1-RB, 2-TEs). So, from the QBs left to right it sometimes looks something like this: 10 Cooper out wide, 84-Hemingway next to LT, 86-Spruce in the slot, and 89-Higbee/81-Everett out wide right.

I also noticed the the DBs guarding Cooper gave him plenty of space. They rarely played bump and run against him, which is interesting to see. I wonder if they have done some scouting on their own already.

Another observation from the scrimmages (11v11 and 7v7) was that Goff was operating out of shotgun like 75-80% of the time. Might as well let him do what he does best rather than make him take it from under center because he is supposed to be a QB for a run-first, run-second offense as under Jeff Fisher! I think this is a sign of McVay's willingness to cater to his players' strengths rather than force them to fit into the offensive agenda. Goff makes good, fast decisions these days, and it may be because he is operating more frequently out of shotgun. He can scan and see the field better.

Speaking of seeing the field better, Goff needs to be careful about picking up blitzes. On one particular play, it was obvious that he wanted to throw to Kupp out of the left slot position. He eyed it the whole way, only to see Kupp double-teamed. By the time he went to his second read, the corner blitz from the other side would have annihilated him. This lack of awareness concerns me. Those sack-fumbles are huge game changers. I hope he improves his awareness based on his pre-snap reads.

Hmm, what else? Mannion is fantastic. Don't need to say anything about him except that he will be more than a serviceable backup QB. His arm strength is not as good as Goff's, but his awareness in the pocket and his ability to antipate passing windows is fantastic. He has a stranglehold on the QB#2 position.

Oh, look, Orlovsky threw another INT. Luckily, it was to our defense! Oh well, he's not making the team. QB3 on most game days will be Hekker, so it's really hard to see Safety Dan making the team.

Jamon Brown is the RG. Havenstein is the RT. They only switch in practice, in training camp, to give each some experience in case someone goes down and we need to shuffle. Havenstein is great at RT and Brown is great at RG, end of discussion.

I also noticed that Goff and Mannion had much more time against the LAC defense that they usually do against the Rams D. I hope this is a sign of our defense's superiority. Of course, the back of my mind says that it's because the defense knows the offense's moves better, but who knows? Goff had time all day, and when he didn't, he did a great job of sliding up in the pocket to complete the throw.

Paul McRoberts had a great leaping catch, but he caught the back end of the ball. Got lots of oohs and aahs from the crowd, but I don't see how he makes the team. PS guy against this year, I think.

Only three PBUs by LAC defense, all on the same type of play--an out route from the left wideout position. I dunno if the Rams were just practicing one type of play concept today, but the same guy #43 read it and swatted it away each time, including a near two-handed INT by the sideline. Luckily, he dropped it.

Finally, I wanted to comment on the fact that the LAC DBs were holding our WRs like crazy. Most were called by the officials, and some were missed. Many of them were blatant.

Special Teams

Hekker had one beautiful coffin-corner punt. The ball flew off the field at like the 3 or 4 yd. line. Incredible. On another punt, he had the punt returner running back like 20-25 yds after the punt! It looked a lot like that 78-yd. punt from the Jets game. What a weapon!

Zuerlein hit a field goal from 55 yd. that would have been good from 65 yds. He's fine.

Shakeir Ryan made a nice punt return TD. He caught the ball, started running to his right, saw a cutback lane to his left, and then got past the punter. Touchdown! He is really fast and QUICK. Hard to see him making this team though. We have a lot of TEs and WRs that we need to keep. Think about this:

Tight ends
89-Higbee
84-Hemingway
81-Everett
46-Harkey
39-Rogers
87-Travis Wilson

Of those guys, I would say that Harkey is at most risk for being cut!

Wide receivers

11-Austin
18-Kupp
17-Woods
10-Cooper
86-Spruce

It's nuts.

Anyway, hope you enjoyed my little write-up!

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I saw a lot of the same things @theduke saw, the Rams O got quite a few 1st downs and some TDs if it had been a game situation.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Anyway, hope you enjoyed my little write-up!

Enjoyed it? Hell this was a masterpiece!

Great job and wonderful recall!

You should be doing this more often!

Great time yesterday sitting with you and like I said, I'm soaking up your takes like a sponge!

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I have no idea what he is talking about. Like you said, just look at what @8to12, @RamBall, @theduke, @bubbaramfan said in their posts. We all were watching the same thing.

Of course I did hand out rose colored glasses to everyone prior to the start of practice.

I don't follow that twitter account for a reason. Very happy with where this offense is right now, and the best part is the areas where they need to get better the coaching is there...

* Goff getting through reads quicker and better on protections: McVay is making huge strides with him thus far and knows what he's doing, and at QB coach Greg Olson is a damn ninja at protections just look at what his former QBs say about it.

* TEs living up to expectations: again the coaching is there with a guy who was one of the best positional coaches when he did it in McVay.

The WR position is night and day from previous years. The talent McVay inherited has guys all over the joint developing and getting better. I'll be surprised if we're not happy with the game vs Dallas.

WestCoastRam

Legend
I'm calling it... Reynolds quad injury "lingers" and he gets stashed on IR this year. Spruce or McRoberts makes the squad.

Last edited:

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Thought I'd put these right here. Didn't want to start a new thread. Practice was awesome!! Great turnout Ramily! Couple observations... They were frikking mauling our receivers, lots of yellow hitting the green during Rams pass plays with the ones. LOTS of drops :( Some great catches though too.

I'm guessing the knee brace is precautionary, Mannion was wearing one too.

Joyner and Westbrooks taking a breather...

Jared jawing with a Bolts DB

Woods contesting for a catch.....he failed :(

Kupp getting going!

SPRUUUUUUCE!!!!!!!!

Tough to make a catch with a hand in your grill.... 82 Hemingway??

First brawl!!!

Spruce again...

Kupp...defender falling...easy 6 .......and.......

Perfectly through his hands...... :(

Rivers eyeing up the D, Barron eyeing up Rivers :p

The Run scrum!

Brawl #2

Sean checking out Dani....

YO TRU! Don't talk to me when I'm checking out Dani!!

Last edited: