Training Camp (MON Aug-14)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
@Soul Surfer
NRC was an excellent corner in college...I always figured he'd be a lil small for the pros...not for pass defense, but for tackling....but he has great coverage skills. He's a better corner than Joyner.

Wouldn't it be great if Tru gave us a hometown discount. His feet look really good in this clip.
I think Woods is taking too many steps...effed up the timing....
Woods route was a little weak.
Props to Tru, but Woods you got to shield the defender.
Just a sloppy route...

I don't think Woods is a "better" receiver than some that we've had...he's just more...professional...goes about his work...

Personally, a guy on a new team...drops the first pass...then fumbles the next one...that's just a terrible start.

This is way before that guy from Tennessee Vols got cut that everyone loved for no reason.
You are talking about the Rhino....Brian Randolph....and before his injury, he was highly thought of by the coaches, not just fans like me....and as we can tell, our defensive coaches/scouts/decision makers....knew what the hell they were talking about. Randolph could play...if he ever gets healthy again....I can assure you he'll be on some team.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
In this case he absolutely did he didn't look anywhere else as soon as he got the snap he zeroed in on woods, Johnson was playing inside leverage that's why the throw should have been high and to the outside towards the sideline so either it's caught or incomplete he made it to easy for Johnson to break on the ball.

Look at the route woods ran he had Johnson in a. Ack pedal when he came out of his break but Johnson sat on the route cause Goff was looking directly at him. You also notice on the throw how woods had to try to come back to the ball which is almost impossible running that type of route. If the throw is high and to the outside Johnson don't get to it

Johnson's mannerisms on the play had nothing to do with Goff looking at Woods. Johnson had the end-zone boundaries as extra defenders. There was no reason for him to keep back-pedaling and no reason for him to take anything but inside leverage. Woods couldn't run by him because of the boundary behind him or break away too much to the outside because of the boundary outside of him.

Staring down wasn't the issue. The timing was the issue.

As for the throw, he couldn't throw it high enough and outside enough to get it over Johnson. It would have been uncatchable for Woods. The throw was simply late. If Goff throws it on time to the same spot, it's a TD.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Johnson's mannerisms on the play had nothing to do with Goff looking at Woods. Johnson had the end-zone boundaries as extra defenders. There was no reason for him to keep back-pedaling and no reason for him to take anything but inside leverage. Woods couldn't run by him because of the boundary behind him or break away too much to the outside because of the boundary outside of him.

Staring down wasn't the issue. The timing was the issue.

As for the throw, he couldn't throw it high enough and outside enough to get it over Johnson. It would have been uncatchable for Woods. The throw was simply late. If Goff throws it on time to the same spot, it's a TD.
It doesn't matter it's just practice

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No doubt lol. And if I am Sean Mannion I'm giving the dude his number and going back to 4.
That # might be taken....
Greg-Zuerlein.jpg

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
I know! Like, what the hell did I do? It's not like she is all that or anything. Heck, I was just focusing on the beers!

But what the heck, @RamBall, I guess you and I have a lot more in common than just football!

Take care my Brother.

PS: I take it you and the little lady made it home safe? It was great meeting the both of you at camp.

Yeah, we made it home safe. Had a great time meeting up with you the others, I really appreciate your reports, I actually hear your voice when I read them lol. And of course I hear @bubbaramfan when I read his posts, hell sometimes I think I hear him yelling at the guys in practice, even from way up here lol. Also @theduke and @8to12.

I've already started negotiations for next years vacation, she wants Vegas, in July I want Irvine in August. May have to save up and take 2 vacations next year lol.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
@Soul Surfer
NRC was an excellent corner in college...I always figured he'd be a lil small for the pros...not for pass defense, but for tackling....but he has great coverage skills. He's a better corner than Joyner.

Wouldn't it be great if Tru gave us a hometown discount. His feet look really good in this clip.
I think Woods is taking too many steps...effed up the timing....

Just a sloppy route...

I don't think Woods is a "better" receiver than some that we've had...he's just more...professional...goes about his work...

Personally, a guy on a new team...drops the first pass...then fumbles the next one...that's just a terrible start.

You are talking about the Rhino....Brian Randolph....and before his injury, he was highly thought of by the coaches, not just fans like me....and as we can tell, our defensive coaches/scouts/decision makers....knew what the hell they were talking about. Randolph could play...if he ever gets healthy again....I can assure you he'll be on some team.

Well I just wish he didn't get hurt. Last year I know you went to training camp. When I was there I didn't see much from him.
Then he got hurt the first play of the preseason on a kick off coverage.I hope he recovers well ?

Woods I think will be a solid go to guy who will make the big 3rd down catch when needed. Just another guy to move the chains.

JonRam99

Hall of Fame
Name
Jonathan
Woods reminds me a bit of Mark Clayton - knew where everyone should line up because he had a photographic memory. He was a pro's pro, worked hard, etc. Just he didn't have the elite talent level that is needed to be a game-changing WR. He was on the team, what, 1 season? 2? he got hurt & I think waived IIRC.
I think Kupp has "it" to a degree, and our newly acquired mojo-slinging Sammy Watkins absolutely does - they have WR1b and WR1a talent. Woods will be a great role-player, a la Stedman Bailey, while Tavon is.... Tavon. (he CAN beat Sherman tho!)
I'm super-intrigued by Reynolds, who we haven't seen a whole lot of at all - I think, given a little seasoning, he could be a WR1c. Cooper is a great talent as well, a WR with RB YAC potential. Then there's all the other dudes, M. Thomas, McRoberts, etc. I think spruuuuuce is just not going to make the roster - he's PS eligible, right? Lastly, we got the little dude with the fly wheels, Shakeir playing the Az role.

WR's:
Watkins - Reynolds - McRoberts (who goes to PS once M. Thomas serves his time)
Kupp - Woods
Tavon - Cooper - Shakeir

That'll do nicely. If we carry 8 WR's, that is.... if not.... not sure we can hide McRoberts on the PS.

bluecoconuts

Legend
You can't watch that play and tell me it's a plant and throw he planted turned his body waited then threw Johnson followed his eyes the entire time, he waited entirely too long to make that pass he threw it short and to the inside

The clip is 4 seconds long and Goff is planting and winding up to throw at the 1 second mark with the release coming right after the one second mark. Before the 2 second mark of the video you see the very tail end of Goff's drop back and throw. Its literally impossible for him to be sitting there staring down the receiver, unless Goff can't break the laws of physics and slow down time. He struggled with what direction the sun rises and sets, I doubt he's perfected creating miniature blackholes that can stabilise and ignore the Hawking radation to stay slow down the passage of time for himself.

It's a plant a throw. Telegraphed plant and throw, but a plant and throw nonetheless. That is 100% a timing route, there's no progressions, you have it or you don't.

We can say the ball placement wasn't good (because it wasn't, although if it's a timing route, it could be that he and Woods are still getting on the same page in terms of the speed), that's a valid criticism, we can say he telegraphed the throw, that's also valid. We can't say he held onto the ball too long just standing in the pocket because he never stood in the pocket, he dropped back and threw the pass.

Let's critique what's actually there.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The clip is 4 seconds long and Goff is planting and winding up to throw at the 1 second mark with the release coming right after the one second mark. Before the 2 second mark of the video you see the very tail end of Goff's drop back and throw. Its literally impossible for him to be sitting there staring down the receiver, unless Goff can't break the laws of physics and slow down time. He struggled with what direction the sun rises and sets, I doubt he's perfected creating miniature blackholes that can stabilise and ignore the Hawking radation to stay slow down the passage of time for himself.

It's a plant a throw. Telegraphed plant and throw, but a plant and throw nonetheless. That is 100% a timing route, there's no progressions, you have it or you don't.

We can say the ball placement wasn't good (because it wasn't, although if it's a timing route, it could be that he and Woods are still getting on the same page in terms of the speed), that's a valid criticism, we can say he telegraphed the throw, that's also valid. We can't say he held onto the ball too long just standing in the pocket because he never stood in the pocket, he dropped back and threw the pass.

Let's critique what's actually there.

lol I left this situation alone but let's play.

From the time he got the snap during his drop back his eyes was on woods the entire time. He got the snap shifted his body towards woods to make the throw he then did a lil funky arm action thing he probably patted the ball but when he did that he reset his feet and then threw. Most QBs go through 2 reads in less than 4 seconds so a lot can be done especially when it's all in the same motion. My point is that he never stayed squared to the line of scrimmage when he got the snap he didn't do a straight drop he shifted his body towards woods on his drop back therefore eliminating 90 percent of the field then at the top of his drop back he either patted the ball or pumped the ball did a quick step and threw:
So yeah that's what I saw and I was never critiquing I made an observation

bluecoconuts

Legend

From the time he got the snap during his drop back his eyes was on woods the entire time. He got the snap shifted his body towards woods to make the throw he then did a lil funky arm action thing he probably patted the ball but when he did that he reset his feet and then threw. Most QBs go through 2 reads in less than 4 seconds so a lot can be done especially when it's all in the same motion. My point is that he never stayed squared to the line of scrimmage when he got the snap he didn't do a straight drop he shifted his body towards woods on his drop back therefore eliminating 90 percent of the field then at the top of his drop back he either patted the ball or pumped the ball did a quick step and threw:

I don't think it's a good throw, I'm just saying that's not a route where you go through progressions, it's a timing route you're supposed to drop back plant and throw to your primary, it wasn't well executed. Goff should have thrown before Woods makes his break, so when he does make his break the ball is there. It was an issue with the timing between the two players. Saying he stood back there for three seconds just staring and Woods is dishonest because it gives off that Woods was running some deep route and Goff was sitting in the pocket waiting for him. That is an entirely different issue, one that is a glaring weakness for a QB. We all know where you stand on Goff and I'm pointing out that isn't the case. Goff and Woods are still working on getting the timing down, that's just something that comes with more reps and time together, not nearly as big of a deal.

People bench QB's for what you described. They don't bench QB's when they're still working on timing with their receivers. Goff isn't being benched.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't think it's a good throw, I'm just saying that's not a route where you go through progressions, it's a timing route you're supposed to drop back plant and throw to your primary, it wasn't well executed. Goff should have thrown before Woods makes his break, so when he does make his break the ball is there. It was an issue with the timing between the two players. Saying he stood back there for three seconds just staring and Woods is dishonest because it gives off that Woods was running some deep route and Goff was sitting in the pocket waiting for him. That is an entirely different issue, one that is a glaring weakness for a QB. We all know where you stand on Goff and I'm pointing out that isn't the case. Goff and Woods are still working on getting the timing down, that's just something that comes with more reps and time together, not nearly as big of a deal.

People bench QB's for what you described. They don't bench QB's when they're still working on timing with their receivers. Goff isn't being benched.

I don't think Goff is being benched either I was just describing a trend that's being growing with Goff. I understand the difference between practice reps and real situation. Im not a big fan of Goff but I think that I have been fair, I give him plenty of praises and I'm less critical of him until after the season. I don't expect Goff to be great but I do expect him to look off defenders even in practice, because you practice how you play.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The camp report from that day disputes this:
The 1st pick came on a red zone 11-11 segment. Connor Barwin lined up as though he was going to rush the QB, and at the snap, ran right to the middle of the field in coverage. This took away Goff's first read. As he reset his feet, he decided to force the ball to the outside LATE. Tru jumped the route for the pick. This is a situation were he needs to run the ball or throw it away and take the three points. This is a great situation to learn from.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The camp report from that day disputes this:
I see the play clearly with my eyes Goff wasn't looking at the middle of the field so Barwin did his job and covered the middle but Goff was going woods anyway