Training Camp - Day 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
2D01F431-30EB-4E89-89D2-CC06D3C75337_zpsayd77it8.jpg

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
View: http://www.therams.com/news-and-events/article-1/Training-Camp-Report-Everything-You-Need-to-Know-from-Day-1/00847163-3b6e-49c5-93a7-154666fb13ed

Training Camp Report: Everything You Need to Know from Day 1

At long last, training camp is here.

The Rams opened up their 2017 training camp with their first official practice on Saturday afternoon at UC Irvine.

Though the team did not suit up in full pads, if Saturday’s practice was any indication, it should be an exciting month of football here in Orange County. Here are the biggest takeaways from Day 1.

TOP TAKEAWAYS

1. The Phillips’ era of defense is here

For the first time, the Rams' defense publicly showcased its transition from a 4-3 to a 3-4 scheme under coordinator Wade Phillips.

The front line, led by Michael Brockers and Dominique Easley, looked strong up front, causing a few would-be sacks throughout practice. McVay praised the defense as a whole, anticipating the unit’s progression under Phillips’ instruction.

“When you’re able to get a great defensive look like what our defense created today it can only make you better offensively,” he said. “I think that’s great work. I think until you really put the pads on is when the true evaluations can take place with some of the things that occur upfront. But, I thought it was a good start for the defense as a whole.”

In addition to the line, the Rams' secondary had a solid day. At one point cornerbacks coach Aubrey Pleasant physically and verbally expressed his excitement for the group’s progress, tossing his hat into the air and hugging cornerback Troy Hill after a pass deflection.

2. McVay makes a point to bond with players

Head coach Sean McVay has reiterated that one of his main goals throughout training camp is to build team chemistry and establish a new identity as an organization. And judging from Saturday’s practice, McVay is bringing that point to the grass.

He was not only out on field moving from the offense to the defense, but he even stepped in as a player at one point, lining up at outside linebacker to cover running back Todd Gurley.

“I like to get out and be active, otherwise I’ll probably gain a lot of weight,” McVay said with a laugh. “Then I had an injured quad in the offseason, so I have been rehabbing in my time off and I’m ready to run and play some DB for us now.”

“Today, he came out here healthy," Goff said after acknowledging his head coach's previous injury. "I was like, 'Man, you’re moving around.' He said, 'Oh yeah.' He’s back.”

3. Goff embracing leadership role

Goff was met with a series of chants and energetic applause as he took the field for his second training camp. The young quarterback looked composed throughout practice, communicating verbally with his team of receivers and running backs, while appearing more secure behind his offensive line.

“It’s night and day. I feel good. I feel comfortable,” Goff said of his first day. “Obviously, I have a really good idea of what we’re trying to do this year and I felt good today. I think you just grow, you get older, you have more experiences and you know how to carry yourself a little bit differently.”

Though there were still a few signs of Goff’s room for improvement as a young quarterback, including a couple of missed passes and miscommunications downfield, he did look more in command as the leader on offense. That's a factor his teammates have noticed.

“On and off the field, he took more control of how we were working,” receiver Tavon Austin said. “Even when we’re in the huddle, he’s pulling it together. He’s talking to us, he’s pointing towards us on certain concepts when he’s telling us on certain [plays] to be ready. I like how he’s taking control of the huddle.”

FIELD-LEVEL OBSERVATIONS

- Austin, who was not involved in offseason workouts for the Rams after undergoing offseason wrist surgery was back for training camp today. He worked with the first-team offense and connected on a few deep routes from Goff.

- With Aaron Donald absent, Ethan Westbrooks was one of the players filling in at defensive end.

- Defensive back Lamarcus Joyner and safety Maurice Alexander, along with five other players were placed back on the active roster after being put on the PUP and NFIN lists last night.

- The first interception of training camp came from defensive back Aarion Penton, an undrafted free agent out of Missouri. The pick six came off of a pass from Dan Orlovsky.

- The cutest moment of today’s practice goes to McVay, who stopped to meet with a little boy on his way to the field.

PLAY OF THE DAY

During 11-on-11 drills, Goff connected with wide receiver Robert Woods on a deep crossing route downfield.

Goff later praised the receiver, calling him a “pleasant surprise” as an addition to the team.

“I knew he was a good player,” Goff said, “but I think the way he’s come out here and worked and the way he goes about his business has been a really cool thing to see.”

The two showed good chemistry for their first practice back on field, having worked out together during the break between the offseason program and training camp.

PRESS POINTS

After practice, Goff, Gurley, and McVay took the time to address the media. Catch up on three of their most interesting points after Day 1, and click here to find the full transcript.

JARED GOFF

On heading into his second season with the Rams: “I feel like you should feel going into year two. Ready to go. I think a lot of guys are ready to make the past the past and I think you just grow. Just knowing I’m the guy that they’re going to look to, It is my team to lead and my team to direct and control and command. I don’t take that lightly.”

TODD GURLEY

On if he thinks the new offense will make it easier on him: “I trust in the coaches. They have been doing a great job with putting in the offense and then obviously you have seen Coach McVay’s work in Washington,so I don’t understand why it wouldn’t be able to work here on this level. It is the same game, NFC. So, like I said, we are just coming out here every day trying to get better. We are trying to learn the system and make sure we master our technique.”

SEAN McVAY

On whether it’s a sigh of relief to get going with training camp: “I think we’re all excited to get out there and get going. I was really pleased with the walk-thru and the guys ability to retain some of the information from the offseason program. The installs go a little bit faster than they do in the offseason. So, we’re going to be on to day two tomorrow and it’ll be good to get out there and we’ll look at this tape tonight and make some corrections and be ready to move forward.”

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
So Aarion Penton got the interception on Orlovsky. Nice way to start training camp. We should have a nice little battle for the corner spots. I think we can only say, that, Tru, Webster, and NRC are locks right now.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
So Aarion Penton got the interception on Orlovsky. Nice way to start training camp. We should have a nice little battle for the corner spots. I think we can only say, that, Tru, Webster, and NRC are locks right now.

Gaines also feels like a lock, to me.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack

Yeah I could see that. Otherwise we'd be almost too young at the position without him. I wonder how the coaches feel about his fit with the new scheme. I guess we'll find out soon. But I like Gaines.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
So Aarion Penton got the interception on Orlovsky. Nice way to start training camp. .

That's my guy, he needs to clean things up off the field, Penton can flat out cover which IMO others like Jordan struggle in.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I love this 1st article on the Rams Camp!!!! Great read and some fine videos everyone should check out!!(y)
Brockers Looks like he's Slimed-Down to me! He looks Mean and quick! And that New OLB { McVay} and his " Exit angles" he used on Gurrrley! He could be the NFL's next Player/Coach!:D:LOL:
I was really happy to hear they cleaned-up those PUP/ NFIN Lists, no one on them now!!:yess:
McVay said that they will be in Pads in " a few days"! CAN'T WAIT! Apparently the D was "Smokin'" today, as McVay says It will help our Offense grow stronger!:fuelfire:
I liked listening to Farr's commentary and JB Long is better Listening to than reading, I got a better feel for him!
And to me one of the Best parts was seeing MOB Squad members in Full gear at Practice!!!!!:yay::yess::wow:

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
From another teams camp yesterday. QB Blake Bortles. Five INTs under the lights and first practice in full pads

View: https://twitter.com/APMarkLong/status/891459668396167168

Bortles was often in the Florida papers when he played for UFC (University of Central Florida.) Several draft pundits projected him to be drafted in the 10 to 15 range of the first round.

I was a surprised when Bortles was selected #3 overall in 2014, but not totally stunned because of the inflated value for the QB position in today's NFL. Blake displayed a good skill set for a "small school" skill kid and for what ever the reasons have been, he's been one of those 2 steps forward 3 steps back type of QB's.

I still expect Bortles to have a better year in 2017 with Leonard Fournette carrying the rock, but these early camp tweets can make a person take a small pause.

I know you already know this @OldSchool, (early camp reports) both good and bad can be drama inflated, but Bortles is no doubt at a crossroads in 2017 to prove he's the long term answer for Jax. (doubtful he's on their roster in 2018 should he repeat his 2016 performance?)

Of course we won't complain because our Rams travel to Jax in week 6 so we don't want him firing on all cylinders.

Week 1, Sunday Sep. 10th VS Indianapolis Colts
LA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA 4:05pm ET CBS

Week 2, Sunday Sep. 17th
VS Washington Redskins
LA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA 4:25pm ET FOX
Week 3, Thursday Sep. 21st AT
San Francisco 49ers
Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA 8:25pm ET NFL Network

Week 4, Sunday Oct. 1st AT Dallas Cowboys
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX 1:00pm ET FOX

Week 5, Sunday Oct. 8th VS
Seattle Seahawks
LA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA 4:05pm ET CBS

Week 6, Oct. 15th AT Jacksonville Jaguars
EverBank Field, Jacksonville, FL 4:05pm ET FOX

( ROD MEMBERS THAT LIVE in FL ) or close to the Florida area will likely be at this game :yess:

C-CE7LFUMAAcUhq.jpg

Last edited:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
as a starting Boundary CB or Nickel,or Dime or Deep safety or all the above? You know my posted position on EJ... a good smart DB who could play a multitude of secondary positions but I would not plan for him to be my starting BCB.

Might you elaborate on your post for I am interested?

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
Yesterday we had a lot of tweets... which by the way was fantastic. ... thank you everyone. ...;)

Is anyone from the rod attending practice today? Is anyone planning on giving us camp reports?... I sure wish I could.....lol

Go Rams...... ;)

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Yesterday we had a lot of tweets... which by the way was fantastic. ... thank you everyone. ...;)

Is anyone from the rod attending practice today? Is anyone planning on giving us camp reports?... I sure wish I could.....lol

Go Rams...... ;)
I'm planning on attending with my trusty Nikon. I'll write up a report as soon as I get back and download the pics.

Me taking pics during the practice makes it easier to remember what was going on. Of course I'll be focusing on the QB, WR and DB's. It's just too hard to look at the O line and D line from our vantage point.

rams56

Bleeding Rams Blue and Gold
Name
Steve
I'm planning on attending with my trusty Nikon. I'll write up a report as soon as I get back and download the pics.

Me taking pics during the practice makes it easier to remember what was going on. Of course I'll be focusing on the QB, WR and DB's. It's just too hard to look at the O line and D line from our vantage point.
In advance. ...thank you so much....;) Have fun...... ;)

Go Rams....... ;)

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
as a starting Boundary CB or Nickel,or Dime or Deep safety or all the above? You know my posted position on EJ... a good smart DB who could play a multitude of secondary positions but I would not plan for him to be my starting BCB.

2017 Rams Roster Preview: CB E.J. Gaines, The Forgotten Man
Is 2017 Gaines’ year to stage his comeback?
by Eric Nagel Jul 28, 2017, 10:45am CDT
usa_today_10070164.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams CB E.J. Gaines’ luster has worn off a bit.

It’s easy to see how it happened. When you’ve got the CB Trumaine Johnson Franchise-Tag-Saga on one side of the field and new fan favorite (Wade Phillips favorite too?) CB Kayvon Webster on the other, things can tend to get away from you. And after missing all of the 2015 season due to a foot injury and the various lower body injuries that plagued him early last year...Gaines has a lot to prove in 2017.

That’s not even mentioning the 3-4 defensive scheme transition and the new coaching staff’s focus on an offensive revival led by new Head Coach Sean McVay. But, Gaines is still here. And he’s motivated.
Roster Battle
I’m not saying a starting spot is up for grabs, considering the considerable hype surrounding Webster or the considerable salary of Tru. On the other end, there’s no guarantee Tru stays (or the Rams extend him) and Webster is only on a two-year contract. But Gaines is in a contract year.

With that in mind, I expect the battle for the 2nd/3rd corner spots to be pretty intense. Not so much because they’re looking to stick around, but because the top three players at the position are all looking for their next contract, regardless of the team that gives it to them.
Expectations
Gaines struggled hard at times last year. I don’t blame him - it had been close to two years since he was on the field. Whether or not he can find his rookie form is key. He’s been back a year, which should help him get back to where he was, but some injuries just don’t ever heal 100%.

Lisfranc injuries in particular can be incredibly painful and require thorough care. It reduces stability in your foot and linger for a long time if not treated correctly, which is why Gaines was out so long. So, while it’s rosy to think about Gaines coming back into form, I’d temper expectations to that of a rotational player and occasional starter, at least at first.
Chances of Making the Roster (8/10)
I don’t think the Rams have enough players in the secondary to start cutting guys with starting experience, but this is a team that appears comfortable letting Trumaine Johnson walk and seems pretty content in pissing off DT Aaron Donald by not giving him a contract he clearly deserves.What I’m trying to say is...anything could happen.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/7/28/16054462/2017-la-rams-roster-preview-ej-gaines

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
2017 Rams Roster Preview: CB E.J. Gaines, The Forgotten Man
Is 2017 Gaines’ year to stage his comeback?
by Eric Nagel Jul 28, 2017, 10:45am CDT
usa_today_10070164.0.jpg

Los Angeles Rams CB E.J. Gaines’ luster has worn off a bit.

It’s easy to see how it happened. When you’ve got the CB Trumaine Johnson Franchise-Tag-Saga on one side of the field and new fan favorite (Wade Phillips favorite too?) CB Kayvon Webster on the other, things can tend to get away from you. And after missing all of the 2015 season due to a foot injury and the various lower body injuries that plagued him early last year...Gaines has a lot to prove in 2017.

That’s not even mentioning the 3-4 defensive scheme transition and the new coaching staff’s focus on an offensive revival led by new Head Coach Sean McVay. But, Gaines is still here. And he’s motivated.
Roster Battle
I’m not saying a starting spot is up for grabs, considering the considerable hype surrounding Webster or the considerable salary of Tru. On the other end, there’s no guarantee Tru stays (or the Rams extend him) and Webster is only on a two-year contract. But Gaines is in a contract year.

With that in mind, I expect the battle for the 2nd/3rd corner spots to be pretty intense. Not so much because they’re looking to stick around, but because the top three players at the position are all looking for their next contract, regardless of the team that gives it to them.
Expectations
Gaines struggled hard at times last year. I don’t blame him - it had been close to two years since he was on the field. Whether or not he can find his rookie form is key. He’s been back a year, which should help him get back to where he was, but some injuries just don’t ever heal 100%.

Lisfranc injuries in particular can be incredibly painful and require thorough care. It reduces stability in your foot and linger for a long time if not treated correctly, which is why Gaines was out so long. So, while it’s rosy to think about Gaines coming back into form, I’d temper expectations to that of a rotational player and occasional starter, at least at first.
Chances of Making the Roster (8/10)
I don’t think the Rams have enough players in the secondary to start cutting guys with starting experience, but this is a team that appears comfortable letting Trumaine Johnson walk and seems pretty content in pissing off DT Aaron Donald by not giving him a contract he clearly deserves.What I’m trying to say is...anything could happen.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/2017/7/28/16054462/2017-la-rams-roster-preview-ej-gaines
A healthy Gaines would be huge for us. My heart dropped when i found out it was a Lis franc 2 years ago.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Turf Show Times said:
and seems pretty content in pissing off DT Aaron Donald by not giving him a contract he clearly deserves

:redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard::redcard:

KOWALSKI

Rookie
well, it looks like the chargers are winning la.
more fans at the chargers camp.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

Last years training camp EJ was shutting down Kenny Britt. Britt was getting frustrated. Something happened on the other side of the field when they got tangled up . Kenny came out of it flexing his muscles. --Gaines sat out & wAs never the same.