Training Camp - Day 2

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Bortles was often in the Florida papers when he played for UFC (University of Central Florida.) Several draft pundits projected him to be drafted in the 10 to 15 range of the first round.

I was a surprised when Bortles was selected #3 overall in 2014, but not totally stunned because of the inflated value for the QB position in today's NFL. Blake displayed a good skill set for a "small school" skill kid and for what ever the reasons have been, he's been one of those 2 steps forward 3 steps back type of QB's.

I still expect Bortles to have a better year in 2017 with Leonard Fournette carrying the rock, but these early camp tweets can make a person take a small pause.

I know you already know this @OldSchool, (early camp reports) both good and bad can be drama inflated, but Bortles is no doubt at a crossroads in 2017 to prove he's the long term answer for Jax. (doubtful he's on their roster in 2018 should he repeat his 2016 performance?)

Of course we won't complain because our Rams travel to Jax in week 6 so we don't want him firing on all cylinders.

Week 1, Sunday Sep. 10th VS Indianapolis Colts
LA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA 4:05pm ET CBS

Week 2, Sunday Sep. 17th
VS Washington Redskins
LA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA 4:25pm ET FOX
Week 3, Thursday Sep. 21st AT
San Francisco 49ers
Levi's Stadium, Santa Clara, CA 8:25pm ET NFL Network

Week 4, Sunday Oct. 1st AT Dallas Cowboys
AT&T Stadium, Arlington, TX 1:00pm ET FOX

Week 5, Sunday Oct. 8th VS
Seattle Seahawks
LA Memorial Coliseum, Los Angeles, CA 4:05pm ET CBS

Week 6, Oct. 15th AT Jacksonville Jaguars
EverBank Field, Jacksonville, FL 4:05pm ET FOX

( ROD MEMBERS THAT LIVE in FL ) or close to the Florida area will likely be at this game :yess:

C-CE7LFUMAAcUhq.jpg
Week #6 should be a really Fun game to Go to, I wish I could be their, the Rams could be looking to go "6-0" or at least 5-1!(y);):D
There are a lot of ROD members who live in the area, Florida that is! Like @Selassie I and @Ramrasta, I like to see a Poll of how many are planning to attend!:D

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Week #6 should be a really Fun game to Go to, I wish I could be their, the Rams could be looking to go "6-0" or at least 5-1!(y);):D
There are a lot of ROD members who live in the area, Florida that is! Like @Selassie I and @Ramrasta, I like to see a Poll of how many are planning to attend!:D

Go to the ROD Events forum and there is already a thread going for that game. Lots of peeps gonna be there.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
In what world has Kenny Britt become a pretty solid man? Last I saw, he was still an immature prick. Aside from the golf cart bs, last I heard from him, he was talking crap about Tavon right after signing with Cleveland. What a polite, young man he is.

Here you are talking crap about Britt.

Who was the better WR.How much is Tavon making ? Really riding a gocart makes him a bad person ?

He is a hard working player , who is keeping out of trouble. That video he put up a couple years ago was in pretty bad taste.

Will see how he does in Cleveland. Pryor might be missed big time. Josh Gordon is the guy who really messed up. They are all getting paid.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Here you are talking crap about Britt.

Who was the better WR.How much is Tavon making ? Really riding a gocart makes him a bad person ?

He is a hard working player , who is keeping out of trouble. That video he put up a couple years ago was in pretty bad taste.

Will see how he does in Cleveland. Pryor might be missed big time. Josh Gordon is the guy who really messed up. They are all getting paid.

You stated he was no longer immature. He is. And talking shit about his former team, was not years ago. It was this offseason.

The discussion had nothing to do with stats.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
You stated he was no longer immature. He is. And talking crap about his former team, was not years ago. It was this offseason.

The discussion had nothing to do with stats.

Well a law abiding citizen, Who staying out of trouble. I don't know what was said about Tavon, but I'm sure it doesn't change a person's character that badly as you may insist. Talk is talk .

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
Well a law abiding citizen, Who staying out of trouble. I don't know what was said about Tavon, but I'm sure it doesn't change a person's character that badly as you may insist. Talk is talk .

Law abiding citizen? Do you know the difference between immature, and a criminal? I really don't think so.

I claimed he's immature, and childish. I never said he went around breaking the law. Huge difference. He basically trashed the Rams, stating they didn't try to win. And he personally called out Tavon. Called him some names. I can't remember which ones specifically. Immature.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
I'd also add EJ....and Troy Hill. Dudes have started in the league and had some success.

@8to12
great read bro

You love Hill, eh? After his suspension, he better keep it clean going forward. But I can't see him as a lock. But we'll see how his snap count plays out in the preseason.

Ram65

Legend
I spent most of my time watching the offense. I am curious as to how the personnel groupings will work. In the 7-on-7's, seems to be 2-WR, 2-TE, 1-RB is the common theme. The speed of practice is a bit faster than before and it becomes difficult to keep track which TE's are running with the 1's as opposed to the second team. Also, Spruce and Cooper and Reynolds occasionally are in with the 1's. With 2 TE's, 1 of the them is usually in line, and the other is split no more than 6 yards, and will occasionally go in motion. With 3 TE's, the 3rd, which is sometimes Everett or Higby, will line up far outside as a WR. Seems that route combinations are all over the board on any given play. For example,a deep route will be run by any one of the 3 receiver positions ; TE, split end, or the wide out.

Thanks for the info. I guess that 12 formation will be the base. That means lots of Higbee and Everett. It's good that Spruce, Cooper and Reynolds get to see time with the 1's. Good stuff.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
...I don't know what was said about Tavon, but I'm sure it doesn't change a person's character that badly as you may insist. Talk is talk .

At the start of the free agency period last month, former Los Angeles Rams wide receiver Kenny Britt was one of the first players to land a deal signing a four-year, $32.5 million contract with the Cleveland Browns.

It had been anticipated that the Rams were going to let Britt walk in free agency after general manager Les Snead stated at the NFL combine that the team wasn't going to prevent him from testing the open market. With about a month removed from his official departure from the Rams after four seasons, the 28-year-old took shots at his former team and teammate Tavon Austin during live video on Instagram, according to Turf Show Times.

Britt said that the betrayal was due to the Rams signing Austin to a long-term deal, something he suggested wasn’t warranted for an “average” wide receiver. After using the homophobic slur toward Austin, he casually remarked, “Whatever. I don’t know him anymore.”

Austin had received a four-year, $42 million contract extension just prior to the 2016 season. The 26-year-old has yet to produce like a No.1 receiver with his best campaign coming this past year posting career highs with 58 catches for 509 receiving yards. Meanwhile, Britt just had his best individual season recording career highs with 68 catches and 1,002 receiving yards, which were both also team highs in 2016. He also became the first Rams' receiver to top 1,000 receiving yards since Torry Holt did so in the 2007 season.

It had been previously believed that both Britt and Austin were close friends during time together with Los Angeles. These comments only indicate that may not have been the case at all. This has become quite a puzzling situation with no real motive as to why Britt decided to make these stances public.

That said, Britt did respond to the reaction from fans on Twitter stating that he didn't know where the notions of him talking bad about his former team came from.

http://scout.com/nfl/rams/Article/Kenny-Britt-bashes-Rams-Tavon-Austin-on-social-media-74914224

Last edited:

dpjax

Starter
Camp Reporter
It was a nice day in Irvine.... about 78 degrees with a cool breeze. It was my second day of Camp and I am mentally exhausted. I had posted in another thread that I had purchased Sunglasses with video camera. After a big fail yesterday to capture anything, I finally got 25-30 plays recorded. I have now spent the last 3 three hours attempting to get them uploaded without much luck. The Camera stores the video content as an AVI file. I went to my old PhotoBucket account and found AVI is not supported there. I then realized I had DropBox on my PC and DropBox supports the AVI files. So, I dumped all of the videos into my DropBox. HELP! ..... does anyone know how I can Share the videos from my DropBox?

A short recap :
As was mentioned yesterday, the defense won most of the battles with a strong pass rush or great coverage in the secondary. Today, the offense got after it and evened up the score. Defensive backs are being aggressive ; pulling at the ball as it arrives to prevent the completion or stripping the ball once the receiver catches it. I saw 2 different plays today that the D-back stripped the ball after it was caught. The D-backs coach is the loudest one on the field.
I spent most of my time watching the offense. I am curious as to how the personnel groupings will work. In the 7-on-7's, seems to be 2-WR, 2-TE, 1-RB is the common theme. The speed of practice is a bit faster than before and it becomes difficult to keep track which TE's are running with the 1's as opposed to the second team. Also, Spruce and Cooper and Reynolds occasionally are in with the 1's. With 2 TE's, 1 of the them is usually in line, and the other is split no more than 6 yards, and will occasionally go in motion. With 3 TE's, the 3rd, which is sometimes Everett or Higby, will line up far outside as a WR. Seems that route combinations are all over the board on any given play. For example,a deep route will be run by any one of the 3 receiver positions ; TE, split end, or the wide out.
All of the TE's caught the ball well today except maybe Travis Wilson. And, most of the WR's did well. Even Shakier caught his first pass of Camp; A deep post late in practice.
Overall, it's hard to judge many of the plays as to whether the offense did anything good on any one play because they're not in pads, and no tackling allowed. So, many plays are blown up by the defense early on but the offense plays through it. For example the crowd cheered when Gurley, and another RB broke long runs. They didnlt realized a LB blitzed and ran right by the RB, behind the LOS, which would've been a TFL if they had been tackling.
The practice, just like day 1, ended just under 2 hours. Much shorter than the previous traing camp practices with the previous HC. I saw so much but am having a hard time recalling many of the details.
I understand tomorrow they will be in pads. I will be there to capture what I can.
Hey, if it will help, I can convert those AVI files into another format and kick 'em back to you to post. Let me know and I'll send you my email.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Law abiding citizen? Do you know the difference between immature, and a criminal? I really don't think so.

I claimed he's immature, and childish. I never said he went around breaking the law. Huge difference. He basically trashed the Rams, stating they didn't try to win. And he personally called out Tavon. Called him some names. I can't remember which ones specifically. Immature.

One thing I know is Kenny Britt has grown as a man. I don't know your thoughts on drill Terrel Owens.WR can be a bit into the Drama.

Thanks for camp updates.