Tick, tick, Brian Quick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I think part of the problem is so many people put these type of expectations regarding numbers, and equate them with being successful. Not accusing YOU of this, but that just wreaks of Fantasy Football mentality.

To me, the thing that keeps being overlooked, when it comes to the numbers game, and these sort of predictions, is the type of offense this team needs to play to be successful. Like it or not, they need to run the ball first and foremost, and everything in the passing game will come out of that. Be it play action or being balanced at best, expecting any of our receivers to be in that 75-80 catch range is setting them up for disappointment. If that is truly what people expect from Quick, or anyone else in THIS offense, then I don't think he will ever live up to those expectations.

For me, what does he accomplish in the RedZone? Does he develop into a guy that will make the tough catch on 3rd down, and stretch the field on occasion (i.e. vs. Carolina). If and when he becomes a reliable target, he should be the PERFECT compliment to BOTH Givens and Austin.

I don't disagree with you at all. I just regurgitated that 75-80 number. There are a lot of factors that will determine his value to the team. Hopefully we start seeing him as a real and consistent contributor.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Here is a link to Pro Football reference so you can see for yourself Jackson had 30 catches his first 2 years.
http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/J/JackVi00.htm

I'm aware of that. What are the chances of that being Quick? What do you think the drop rate was on the two of them? Also, Jacksons first 3 years the Chargers went 9-7, 14-2, 11-5...

They wernt exactly hurting for production. In a team void of production but loaded with potential, we need someone to produce, not cross our fingers and hope he eventually does.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
I'm aware of that. What are the chances of that being Quick? What do you think the drop rate was on the two of them? Also, Jacksons first 3 years the Chargers went 9-7, 14-2, 11-5...

They wernt exactly hurting for production. In a team void of production but loaded with potential, we need someone to produce, not cross our fingers and hope he eventually does.
Good point. I brought that up last year so... that actually makes it a BRILLIANT point.:heh:

nighttrain

Legend
Brian Quick - First two seasons: (so far)
22 receptions, 382 yards, 3 TDs (long of 73)

Vincent Jackson - First two seasons:
30 receptions, 512 yards, 6 TDs (long of 55)

How about we let the season play out, and then we can ridicule Snead for saying Quick reminds him of Vincent Jackson, or that Quick is already a wasted pick (after 1.5 seasons). Because as it stands right now, physically, he is reminiscent of Jackson, and stat-wise, he's not very far behind VJ's first two years. In fact, he's on pace for this stat line after two years. Feel free to compare:

28 receptions, 516 yards, 4-5 TDs (still a long of 73).
Exactly,, well said your dudeness
train

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim

That's about all you have every week in the NFL and starting over isn't going to make it better. There were a lot of guys slobbering of Blackmon and now look at him. There are no sure deals building from our own draft is the way to go and with the garbage they started with it is going to take a while.

CoachO

Hall of Fame

How can you put that on Quick? Just because the team overall is devoid of "talent", you are basically saying no matter how good he may become, he's not good enough "QUICK" enough, so therefore he sucks?

Just one more example of the instant gratification mindset that so many seem to have these days. Be it the FF mentality, or not, THIS TEAM is young, and there is nothing we as fans can do about the learning curve that comes with that. This organization has made the decision to grow this team from the ground floor up. The frustrations that fans feel over the past decade clouds judgments as to where THIS team is and what it SHOULD eventually achieve.

jap

Legend
How can you put that on Quick? Just because the team overall is devoid of "talent", you are basically saying no matter how good he may become, he's not good enough "QUICK" enough, so therefore he sucks?

Just one more example of the instant gratification mindset that so many seem to have these days. Be it the FF mentality, or not, THIS TEAM is young, and there is nothing we as fans can do about the learning curve that comes with that. This organization has made the decision to grow this team from the ground floor up. The frustrations that fans feel over the past decade clouds judgments as to where THIS team is and what it SHOULD eventually achieve.

The fact that the game is gradually getting more complex would indicate that the trend to expect would be: the younger the team is, the more mistakes it will make.

nighttrain

Legend

good response CoachO, everything you said is so so true, patience is the key word for fans of this franchise.
train

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Yes, lets continue to wait while our 33rd overall pick continues to be a goodrun blocker. Meanwhile, TY Hilton, Alshon Jeffery, Chris Givens, were all drafted AFTER Quick and put up more catches their rookie years than Quick currently has in his career. Robert Woods, Aaron Dobson, Kenrall Thompkins, Ace Sanders, Terrence Williams, Keenan Allen, were all taken after 32 this year and all have more catches their rookie year (with 5 games to go) than Quick has in his career.

Edit: Josh Gordon (who I wanted for a 2nd) also did the same his rookie year and hes averaging 93 yards a game.

Quick has one less catch than the NFL record for catches in a game...

Last edited by a moderator:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yes, lets continue to wait while our 33rd overall pick continues to be a goodrun blocker. Meanwhile, TY Hilton, Alshon Jeffery, Chris Givens, were all drafted AFTER Quick and put up more catches their rookie years than Quick currently has in his career. Robert Woods, Aaron Dobson, Kenrall Thompkins, Ace Sanders, Terrence Williams, Keenan Allen, were all taken after 32 this year and all have more catches their rookie year (with 5 games to go) than Quick has in his career.

Edit: Josh Gordon (who I wanted for a 2nd) also did the same his rookie year and hes averaging 93 yards a game.
And if Quick ends up with the better career numbers?

CoachO

Hall of Fame

Quick has one less catch than the NFL record for catches in a game...

You continue to prove my point. FF mentality because its all about draft position and IMMEDIATE production. What you fail to acknowledge with ALL of your comparisons is that they all were put in better situations on their respective teams. Give me one example from your list, who were brought in and expected to be "the guy" on their respective teams. But yet, you seem to think because he was drafted in the spot he was, he should be on the Pro-Bowl ballot by now.

And as much as you can overstate the obvious regarding Givens in his rookie year, I would venture to say, that THIS year, Quick has actually been more productive. So your theory of "rookie success" in that glaring example is a colossal fail. While Quick continues to develop and IMPROVE, Givens has shown that he is the "one trick pony" that caused him to be a mid round pick, and by all accounts, has digressed this year.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Then I will gladly eat crow. I'm hoping he does, I just don't think the Rams are in a position to wait.

What are you talking about "not in a position to wait" and crappy as this team has been for a decade and you think now they are on some timetable that has them in a limited window???? :roflmao:

They would have been long shots to make the playoffs this year with Bradford. They aren't even entering a window of opportunity yet. Quick was never expected by this teams brain trust to be a 100 catch guy this year.

Should they just cut him instead of continuing his development and start over with another rookie and start all over? Might as well get rid of fisher and the coaching staff they haven't made the playoffs yet and they have been in the league for years.:slap:

Lesson

Oh, really?
I still think it's too soon to close the book on Quick; he's shown improvement, IMO, and has shown why he was drafted.

The question is if he'll be a really good #2 WR or the #1 WR that he was drafted to be.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
You continue to prove my point. FF mentality because its all about draft position and IMMEDIATE production. What you fail to acknowledge with ALL of your comparisons is that they all were put in better situations on their respective teams. Give me one example from your list, who were brought in and expected to be "the guy" on their respective teams. But yet, you seem to think because he was drafted in the spot he was, he should be on the Pro-Bowl ballot by now.

And as much as you can overstate the obvious regarding Givens in his rookie year, I would venture to say, that THIS year, Quick has actually been more productive. So your theory of "rookie success" in that glaring example is a colossal fail. While Quick continues to develop and IMPROVE, Givens has shown that he is the "one trick pony" that caused him to be a mid round pick, and by all accounts, has digressed this year.

Except Givens has not digressed..he just hasn't improved. He is averaging the same average catch per game and .1 ypc less than last year. Just because you haven't seen a stretch of 50 yard catches does not mean he's digressed...it means they stick a safety over the top.

And no...its not FF stats, its production...which he is not doing. He had Amendola, and Gibson to take heat off him last year and did nothing. This year Givens draws coverage and he continues to be mediocre.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
What are you talking about "not in a position to wait" and crappy as this team has been for a decade and you think now they are on some timetable that has them in a limited window???? :roflmao:

They would have been long shots to make the playoffs this year with Bradford. They aren't even entering a window of opportunity yet. Quick was never expected by this teams brain trust to be a 100 catch guy this year.

Should they just cut him instead of continuing his development and start over with another rookie and start all over? Might as well get rid of fisher and the coaching staff they haven't made the playoffs yet and they have been in the league for years.:slap:

I never said that but while Bradford has been good and has been effective, his continued development relies on his supporting cast...which is why there is a time table

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
We're all rooting for Brian I assume. The coaches have their own timetable, and it's also safe to assume that they knew ahead of time how big a project he would be. No playbook to one of the more complex isn't something that can be taught or learned in one season.

I have a sneaky suspicion that he's going to meet and exceed everyone's expectations by next year, and all of this speculation about his timetable will be an afterthought. I'd even venture to say an embarrassing afterthought.

And if he washes out, that's life. Can't win em all. I, for one, am pulling for him to school DBs for years to come. And that's really the only way I'm going to express my opinion about all of our players. I'm stupid like that.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
Let's be a little real here. Since Bradford went down, so has the effectiveness of the passing game, Tavon breakout aside. Redzone effectiveness has dropped. Despite better play from Clemens, there are less opportunities in the passing game. We all want Tavon to get his touches and Givens and Quick and Bailey and Pettis and Cook. Still sounds like touches will be limited. We want our receivers to catch passes, but that's going to require close, tight games.

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
he's an eager blocker, and he works hard.
This right here is why I think he'll be better than Cook next year.

I notice him in the line up, but this is a run first team. Not always a target but he's doing what the coach is asking, and that's what will see him successful.