CAMP REPORT Thur Aug-16 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The nickel package currently consist of Talib, Peters, NRC, Johnson, and Joyner. Whose place is Christian taking? It already said in the above article that Christian is being used in the done package. But no, it wouldn't surprise me if next year Christian is Joyner's replacement.
He's not, at best he’s our 7th or 8th DB. I do like him for next year though.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The nickel package currently consist of Talib, Peters, NRC, Johnson, and Joyner. Whose place is Christian taking? It already said in the above article that Christian is being used in the dime package. But no, it wouldn't surprise me if next year Christian is Joyner's replacement.

I’ll give you that !! 100% . In the Ravens game I noticed Blake Countess was getting FS time.
The Rams have Christian as 2nd string FS .

Yes - - Joyner is gone .

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yes - - Joyner is gone .

That's no surprise. With all the other contracts that are due or coming up, once Joyner and the Rams couldn't agree on a deal you had to figure the money ended up going to players willing to work within the Rams' budget, and AD.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's no surprise. With all the other contracts that are due or coming up, once Joyner and the Rams couldn't agree on a deal you had to figure the money ended up going to players willing to work within the Rams' budget, and AD.

I think the only reason Joyner was franchised is because of how bad the secondary was at the end of the season.

Les Snead getting Peters,Talib,Shields has been huge !!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I think the only reason Joyner was franchised is because of how bad the secondary was at the end of the season.

Les Snead getting Peters,Talib,Shields has been huge !!
My thoughts at the time the Rams tagged LJ was due to many elements that were going on @ CB not Safety.

Wade had his best CB Trumaine Johnson already heading into FA'cy his other starting outside corner Webster was badly damaged with two surgeries to his shoulder & Achilles that was going to effect his play this season. Then the top reserve corner NRC was also heading into FA'cy. The Nickle safety & part time start Cody Davis was also heading into FA'cy. The situation @ corner was dire state. Fact is LJ was this teams Nickle corner or part time starter @ corner since 2014.

Snead & McVay got busy in the early off season & made some best trades in this Ram franchize this last decade in trading for two all pro corners in Peters & Talib & then signs the best UFA Nickle corner NRC & sign's ex all pro corner Sam Shields..

LJ who can play & start at any of the secondary positions now can go into this season starting @ his best NFL position @ safety. Chance is LJ will benefit greatly this season from playing with so many great DB's playing together on one team. LJ stands a good chance to have an all pro 2018 season & will set him up to be the top safety heading into Free Agency in March of 2019. Yes its highly probable that this will be LJ 's last season as a Ram.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Here with @bubbaramfan shells today but DEG mimic Oakland D with red jersey and different numbers.
7BD44E24-CE94-4CAC-91F0-F61457315B17.jpeg

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
1st team O vs 2nd team D. Perez with 2nd team O against 1st team D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Gruden cancelled today’s practice, their last in Napa. Looks like he’s ready for Saturday then like us they’ll move camp.

VeteranRamFan

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Dale
Gurley, Brown, Kelly, Nick Hollie taking handoffs.

Look for the last 3 getting time on Saturday

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Ive seen marqui christian whiff on so many tackles so i hope not. although I have not seen him play this season.
Yes we seen a ton of whiffs by Marqui Christian in 23 NFL gms (2016/2017) MC is very fast & quick moving forward & is active & usually in the right place @ the right time to make the defensive play....but here's where MC flashes his big issues .....making a solid tackle & wrapping up. MC has shown an inability to complete his assignment & make the tackle. If MC can finally fix this major flaw he might replace Cody Davis's role in this defense who departed to the Jags this season.
.hmmm, could christian be the man to replace joyner?.
This might be an interesting situation at the end of the season....CB veteran Sam Shield might make a big comeback this season & return to his previous playing ability to be starting material on the outside. With Peters/NRC & Shields manning the corners with Troy Hill, Dom Hatfield, Kevin Peterson in reserves....our own veteran savvy ball hawk DB Aqib Talib would make a great safety for Wade & also expand his playing years in LA.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
My thoughts at the time the Rams tagged LJ was due to many elements that were going on @ CB not Safety.

Wade had his best CB Trumaine Johnson already heading into FA'cy his other starting outside corner Webster was badly damaged with two surgeries to his shoulder & Achilles that was going to effect his play this season. Then the top reserve corner NRC was also heading into FA'cy. The Nickle safety & part time start Cody Davis was also heading into FA'cy. The situation @ corner was dire state. Fact is LJ was this teams Nickle corner or part time starter @ corner since 2014.

Snead & McVay got busy in the early off season & made some best trades in this Ram franchize this last decade in trading for two all pro corners in Peters & Talib & then signs the best UFA Nickle corner NRC & sign's ex all pro corner Sam Shields..

LJ who can play & start at any of the secondary positions now can go into this season starting @ his best NFL position @ safety. Chance is LJ will benefit greatly this season from playing with so many great DB's playing together on one team. LJ stands a good chance to have an all pro 2018 season & will set him up to be the top safety heading into Free Agency in March of 2019. Yes its highly probable that this will be LJ 's last season as a Ram.

I’m not to high on L Joyner. He is solid, but John Johnson is a better player in my eyes. He talks a lot & is a smart player.Joyner is only a FS at best. Robey Coleman is so much better than Joyner ever was at his spot.

The Rams defense could be excellent this year.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes we seen a ton of whiffs by Marqui Christian in 23 NFL gms (2016/2017) MC is very fast & quick moving forward & is active & usually in the right place @ the right time to make the defensive play....but here's where MC flashes his big issues .....making a solid tackle & wrapping up. MC has shown an inability to complete his assignment & make the tackle. If MC can finally fix this major flaw he might replace Cody Davis's role in this defense who departed to the Jags this season.
This might be an interesting situation at the end of the season....CB veteran Sam Shield might make a big comeback this season & return to his previous playing ability to be starting material on the outside. With Peters/NRC & Shields manning the corners with Troy Hill, Dom Hatfield, Kevin Peterson in reserves....our own veteran savvy ball hawk DB Aqib Talib would make a great safety for Wade & also expand his playing years in LA.
Talib at safety ?
Wow - That is the last thing I can see from Talib.

I’ve watched this cat & Talib is a cool dude. He works hard & is a HOF type CB. He is coming off another Pro Bowl as week. He is a team leader & the best CB on The Rams. He is a better cover corner than Tru Johnson, but is on his down cycle. His ankle is a little sore & if he is injured would really hurt the defense.He does things most CB don’t.
Peters jammed his finger yesterday on a ball he should have had an INT. His hands are small.He jammed Cooks at the line of scrimmage, just enough to throw the play off.

Shields has cobwebs & a little rusty.This kidnfrom Oklahoma St. Might make the team ?
He keeps showing up.

James Otto

Starter
I’m not to high on L Joyner. He is solid, but John Johnson is a better player in my eyes. He talks a lot & is a smart player.Joyner is only a FS at best. Robey Coleman is so much better than Joyner ever was at his spot.

I have no idea how anybody can just refer to Joyner as simply "solid".

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Talib at safety ?
Wow - That is the last thing I can see from Talib.

I’ve watched this cat & Talib is a cool dude. He works hard & is a HOF type CB. He is coming off another Pro Bowl as week. He is a team leader & the best CB on The Rams. He is a better cover corner than Tru Johnson, but is on his down cycle. His ankle is a little sore & if he is injured would really hurt the defense.He does things most CB don’t.
Peters jammed his finger yesterday on a ball he should have had an INT. His hands are small.He jammed Cooks at the line of scrimmage, just enough to throw the play off.

Shields has cobwebs & a little rusty.This kidnfrom Oklahoma St. Might make the team ?
He keeps showing up.
Have you ever heard of all pro's Ronnie Lott or Rod Woodson or Charles Woodson? These greats have something in-common ...one they extended their long playing careers in their 30's changing positions... what was it they did to extend their careers ? Imagine having a free safety who's greatest skills are his football intelligence and instincts.

@BonifayRam no Hatfield pls. Watched him get picked on last year and give up plays.
I fully understand FaulkSF, I have seen the same thing. However I have also seen many positive comments by Snead & Wade on this very young corner. I am thinking that Hatfield's best pro position would be playing behind NRC as the reserve Nickle.

The loss of Kevin Peterson in 2018 will give Hatfield an better opportunity to win the 6th Corner position if they decide to go that direction if not a sure Practice Squad position when the season begins. The last Ram corner that Snead drafted was back in the 2014 draft with the 6th round pick of EJ Gaines....FIVE drafts back....I would think we will see a couple selected in 2019.

Last edited:

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott

I thought Joyner was one of our best players on D last season.
Pulling him from NB and moving him to Safety was a great move by Wade. Hes also a very sure tackler, aggresive and fun to watch.