CAMP REPORT Thur Aug-16 Camp Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
76079508-E67C-4CC4-BCC8-6A7C769B4DDE.jpeg

https://www.therams.com/news/10-observations-from-day-12-of-training-camp

10 Observations from Day 12 of Training Camp

1) The Rams were in pads for their penultimate session at UC Irvine. Head coach Sean McVay staged a pretty competitive practice, with a lot of starters vs. starters in 11-on-11 in order to better simulate a game-like experience.

2) Generally, the first-team defense had a strong day against the first-team offense. While quarterback Jared Goff threw a nice pass over the middle to wide receiver Brandin Cooks early in the first 11-on-11 period, he also threw an interception to safety Marqui Christian on the right side a couple plays later. Christian made an athletic dive to secure the ball before it hit the ground. The defensive sideline was pretty excited for him.

3) Christian continued his excellent day with consecutive plays in a red-zone period. He nearly intercepted his second pass of the afternoon, cutting in front of tight end Tyler Higbee on a shallow crossing route. Then he blitzed for what would have been a sack on Goff had he been able to hit the quarterback on the next play.

McVay said following practice that Christian has been working in the Rams’ ‘Dime’ defensive package alongside safeties Lamarcus Joyner and John Johnson.

4) With right guard Jamon Brown’s two-game suspension looming at the start of the regular season, the Rams worked in a pair of players at right guard during select periods on Wednesday. Austin Blythe — who filled in at center for John Sullivan a few times and started at left guard in Week 17 last year — was one such Ram. The other was rookie lineman Joe Noteboom, who has been repping at left tackle and right guard during training camp.

5) During one of the compete periods, the defense stopped the offense at the 41-yard line on third down. Kicker Greg Zuerlein then walked onto the field to attempt a 59-yard field goal. He nailed the attempt with room to spare for his second-most impressive field goal of camp. Zuerlein previously nailed a 63-yard field goal back on Day 6.

6) Wide receiver Pharoh Cooper flashed a bitduring 11-on-11 with the second offense. With Brian Allen at quarterback, Cooper had to go up to get a pass over the middle and made a nice catch deep down the right hash for a significant gain. A couple plays later, Cooper caught another pass down the seam from Allen.

7) There was one “hold-your-breath” momentduring a later 11-on-11 drill with the starters. Outside linebacker Samson Ebukam was pass rushing against left tackle Andrew Whitworth and accidentally pushed him into Goff. The quarterback fell over, but was fine.

“To say I was holding my breath, I think it would be probably a little bit more than that,” McVay said with a laugh after practice.

8) Defensive lineman Ndamukong Suh and inside linebacker Cory Littleton blew up a pair of first-team offensive plays in the same segment late in practice. First, Littleton came in on a delayed blitz for a theoretical sack of Goff. A few plays later, Suh made his way into the backfield at nose tackle to tag running back Todd Gurley for what would’ve been a tackle for loss. The defense was simply executing at a high level on Wednesday.

9) On a positive note for the offense, Goff found wideout Cooper Kupp on an intermediate crossing route late in practice. Kupp was able to get just enough separation from cornerback Aqib Talib to get open over the middle, and Goff found him with a sharp pass to Kupp’s hands.

10) Quarterback Sean Mannion also had a nice pass late in practice, hitting Pharoh Cooper on the right side of the field on a deep out route. The ball placement allowed Cooper to keep running down the field for extra yards.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
https://www.therams.com/news/quotes-notes-8-15-18-mcvay-looks-forward-to-matchup-with-gruden

Quotes & Notes 8/15/18: McVay Looks Forward to Matchup with Gruden
  • This Saturday’s preseason Week 2 matchup against the Oakland Raiders marks the Rams’ return to the L.A. Coliseum for 2018.
  • The Rams will call the Coliseum home for two more seasons before moving to the much anticipated Los Angeles Stadium and Entertainment District in Inglewood, CA, opening in 2020.
  • The Rams will look to even their preseason record at 1-1 with a win against Oakland.
  • Head coach Sean McVay will shake the hand of an old friend on Saturday when the Rams meet the Raiders for preseason Week 2 in the L.A. Coliseum.
  • Raiders’ head coach Jon Gruden is returning to the NFL sidelines as a head coach for the first time since 2009.
  • In 2008, Gruden’s staff provided McVay with his first job in the NFL, as an assistant quarterbacks coach in Tampa Bay.
  • Between his final year in Tampa and current position in Oakland, Gruden served as an ESPN broadcaster and analyst.
  • McVay had positive things to say about third-year safety Marqui Christian following Wednesday's practice.
  • Christian had one of the best individual performances of camp yet, intercepting a Jared Goff pass, deflecting another, and “sacking” Goff — all within the first half of practice.
  • Christian took the field in the dime package on Wednesday, which seemed to almost completely outwork McVay’s offense.
  • McVay spoke about rookie running back John Kelly once again on Wednesday.
  • Kelly could see more action in preseason Week 2, following a strong performance in Baltimore, as well as a potentially higher spot on the depth chart.
  • McVay mentioned that running back Justin Davis was experiencing some hamstring soreness, possibly creating a playing time opportunity for Kelly.
  • Kelly averaged just under six yards per carry on 77 total rushing yards against Baltimore in preseason Week 1.
  • On Wednesday, Robey-Coleman and that Rams’ defense made quarterback Jared Goff and company look like anything but an explosive offense.
  • Wednesday’s practice is not the first time the Rams’ stacked and speedy defense bullied McVay’s O the last few weeks in Irvine.
  • The defense was firing on all cylinders this afternoon, led by safety Marqui Christian and tackle Ndamukong Suh, who collectively caused an array of difficulties for the Rams in red.
  • Robey-Coleman was complimentative of his teammate Cooper Kupp following the penultimate training camp practice of the year.
  • Robey-Coleman went on to clarify that he respects Kupp “not just because he is a teammate”, but because they push each other to improve.
  • Entering his second year in the league, Kupp is expected to start in the slot for the Rams in 2018. Kupp started six games in 2017, and finished his rookie season with 869 total yards and five touchdowns.
“I think it’ll be fun. I think we expect a lot of our fans to show up and be excited and we all know how well the Raiders travel. So, it should be a good atmosphere on Saturday.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“I think everybody that knows [Raiders head] Coach [Jon] Gruden knows what a great thing it is to have him back in coaching and what he’s meant to me and how influential he’s been. It’s certainly a special experience just because of what that family and specifically Jon’s meant for me.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“Yeah, he’s done a great job. I think really, he’s playing some safety — he’s done some different things, playing a dime linebacker spot. You see the athleticism, you see the burst, the suddenness shows up. I think he’s getting more and more comfortable with the different things.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“I think you see some of the things that were so intriguing about him in Tennessee – just with the ball in his hands and how explosive he is.”-HEAD COACH SEAN McVAY

“Earlier Coach Wade [Phillips] was saying we were going against the most explosive offense in the league, so if we practice good against these guys, it just tells a lot about our defense.”-CB NICKELL ROBEY-COLEMAN

“To be honest, I go against the best slot receiver everyday in practice, [wide receiver] Cooper Kupp. Very creative guy. Crafty, smart, can catch, he can do it all… he’s quick. Going against guys like that everyday, you know it’s hard to downplay his performance and what he does on the field day in day out.”-CB NICKELL ROBEY-COLEMAN

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

hmmm, could christian be the man to replace joyner?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think what's happening is that there are so many elite players on the Rams D at the moment, that other guys are raising their game to compete - there is NO COMPLACENCY in this squad at the moment, I think the players know if they don't fight on ever single play, it will be noticed. So what we'll see is that good players are pushing themselves to be sure of a roster spot.

The level of competition in this team (at the moment) is amazing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I think what's happening is that there are so many elite players on the Rams D at the moment, that other guys are raising their game to compete - there is NO COMPLACENCY in this squad at the moment, I think the players know if they don't fight on ever single play, it will be noticed. So what we'll see is that good players are pushing themselves to be sure of a roster spot.

The level of competition in this team (at the moment) is amazing.

I just think good leadership, starting with McVay.

Whit
Gurley
Suh
Talib
Peters
Sullivan
Cooks
Goff
These guys all stay after & work hard.They young guys always compete.

The bad is Higbee & Hemmingway keep missing passes.

Noteboom & Demby false start every practice & game I’ve been or seen.That has been a strength of the offensive line & Goff’s hard count drawing defenses.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
On the Copper Kupp catch on Talib. You have to remember he has had a sore ankle,plus you can’t really hit the WR. Good play, but Talib is not 100% & he is fight through it.I think it was a big practice & he will get his rest the next few days with treatment.
—Told Reggie he needs to keep an eye on him. It was the end of practice though.

Brockers & Suh did a stunt & Brockers would have blown Goff up if live game.

Woods ran a nice reverse early to start the game off.

The Rams offense was better than said in post. They scored early when fresh.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Yes !! Noteboom got a rep with first team at RG. Very telling !!

Austin Blythe- didn’t see, because he got first team rep at center.

Sullivan was pissed at rookie #69. He held his face mask & didn’t let go. Suh came in & all other players & coaches. Barry got in there &
Coaches pulled 69 away.It got nasty !!

Sullivan is looking good.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Austin Blythe- didn’t see, because he got first team rep at center.

Sullivan was ticked at rookie #69. He held his face mask & didn’t let go. Suh came in & all other players & coaches. Barry got in there &
Coaches pulled 69 away.It got nasty !!

Sullivan is looking good.

#69 Sebastian Joseph-Day the kid from Rutgers.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I just think good leadership, starting with McVay.

Whit
Gurley
Suh
Talib
Peters
Sullivan
Cooks
Goff
These guys all stay after & work hard.They young guys always compete.

The bad is Higbee & Hemmingway keep missing passes.

Noteboom & Demby false start every practice & game I’ve been or seen.That has been a strength of the offensive line & Goff’s hard count drawing defenses.

The TE's are definitely the weak link of our O. I don't want to see our o-line false starting again... I hate giving away yards because of that.

Psycho_X

Legend

hmmm, could christian be the man to replace joyner?

I'm not sure on that but sounds like he's making a case next season. Immediately though it sounds like he might push Sam Shields off the roster if Christian ends up being the dime db. All though Kevin Peterson's injury and Troy HIlls struggles this camp so far might leave enough room for Shields still. All though I don't think I've ever read or heard his name regarding anything at camp other than the stories about him coming back from concussion issues.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The TE's are definitely the weak link of our O. I don't want to see our o-line false starting again... I hate giving away yards because of that.

That was the great thing last season with McVay & Goff ,Along with the Big 5. They usually drew defenses offsides a lot. Not having very many false starts.

Bradford & Bulger would kill me with all the false starts & timeouts before the half.

It’s upsetting because The Rams have been so good & to start seeing that often by the rookies is disheartening. I’m sure they will get it together.Right now it was about live actions & getting up to speed. Things will slow down for them once settled in Thousand Oaks.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
That was the great thing last season with McVay & Goff ,Along with the Big 5. They usually drew defenses offsides a lot. Not having very many false starts.

Bradford & Bulger would kill me with all the false starts & timeouts before the half.

It’s upsetting because The Rams have been so good & to start seeing that often by the rookies is disheartening. I’m sure they will get it together.Right now it was about live actions & getting up to speed. Things will slow down for them once settled in Thousand Oaks.

I hated the false starts in the Fisher era, I hope they don't creep into the McVay era - but I think Kromer will get the boys whipped into shape soon...

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
Don’t think so. He has his spot in nickle.
The nickel package currently consist of Talib, Peters, NRC, Johnson, and Joyner. Whose place is Christian taking? It already said in the above article that Christian is being used in the dime package. But no, it wouldn't surprise me if next year Christian is Joyner's replacement.

Last edited: