Thoughts on Rams 1st round picks and depth chart?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Tempest in a teapot IMO ,hide the sharp objects, I have no doubt GR will be fine and if we aren't going to rush him because we have faith in a guy we signed in FA if we are of a mind to go with experience over raw athletic ability and ease the rook into the lineup I'm not alarmed.
The same people didn't draft Jason Smith the comparison is bogus ,fatalistic as it were.
As for Donald like others have said he'll get his snaps and we'll put him in the best situations to succeed and I expect he'll reward the prudence there as well,I'm glad we have the talent to be able to do this,glass MORE than half full IMO.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
As many have already said, how many games did it take before Pace started? Relax Sum. Make yourself a margarita.
images
images
images
Not just that, but Quinn didn't even dress for his first few games. I'm guessing he ended up a bust too

Philly5

Rookie
I am with Sum on this one. Being disappointed that both our first rounders may not start is not an indictment of the picks. It just would have been nice to have two guys that were so ready they could start immediately.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
Four years ago GR would have been the best lineman the Rams had the day he showed up for camp. I find it very encouraging that is not the case now.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I am with Sum on this one. Being disappointed that both our first rounders may not start is not an indictment of the picks. It just would have been nice to have two guys that were so ready they could start immediately.

But they ARE ready to start ,just not for this team,that's the silver lining to your dark cloud , IMO Donald would be starting for Dallas, GR would be starting for Seattle or AZ , rejoice we are good enough to keep that sort of talent on the bench with experience on the youngest team in the league,it bodeth well for our future and says good things about our present
If that doesn't help ya out think this way Davin Joseph may have made it possible to work GR more at tackle to hasten his progress there.
There will be injuries to have that depth is great

Zaphod

Hall of Fame
To me this speaks more to our depth along the offensive line that we don't have to start Robinson.

Given this team's recent injury history with Wells, Saffold and Long, along with the relative weakness at guard last year, it's no surprise that they drafted Robinson instead of Matthews and signed Joseph.

Injuries or not, I'm sure Robinson will plat some this year.

On another note, I also think it speaks to their opinion of the talent available in the first round, at least at their draft position relative to positions of greater need.

Philly5

Rookie
But they ARE ready to start ,just not for this team,that's the silver lining to your dark cloud , IMO Donald would be starting for Dallas, GR would be starting for Seattle or AZ , rejoice we are good enough to keep that sort of talent on the bench with experience on the youngest team in the league,it bodeth well for our future and says good things about our present
If that doesn't help ya out think this way Davin Joseph may have made it possible to work GR more at tackle to hasten his progress there.
There will be injuries to have that depth is great

Not buying that. You would not have bought it back on draft day also.

I may be a starter on the Dallas DL. I bet Jake Matthews is a starter for us if drafted.

No biggie. Just temporarily (hopefully) disappointed.

4mation0

UDFA
I hope this is something we all have to get used to--a rookie who's unable to beat out established vets right out of the gate. It's the mark of an improving team. Also, I don't have a quote handy, but I'm sure I've heard Fisher say a few times over the years that he doesn't like putting rookies on the offensive line. Not just disappointing rookies, but any rookie. It wouldn't surprise me if he was leaning in this direction right from the start. If so, GR may actually be right on pace in the eyes of the coaches. Sure, it's a letdown as a fan not to get to see first-round picks immediately because we're all curious to learn what they've really got, but there's a good reason why we fans don't get to set the starting line-up. We have a hard time dealing with delayed gratification.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
I hope this is something we all have to get used to--a rookie who's unable to beat out established vets right out of the gate. It's the mark of an improving team. Also, I don't have a quote handy, but I'm sure I've heard Fisher say a few times over the years that he doesn't like putting rookies on the offensive line. Not just disappointing rookies, but any rookie. It wouldn't surprise me if he was leaning in this direction right from the start. If so, GR may actually be right on pace in the eyes of the coaches. Sure, it's a letdown as a fan not to get to see first-round picks immediately because we're all curious to learn what they've really got, but there's a good reason why we fans don't get to set the starting line-up. We have a hard time dealing with delayed gratification.

Don't I know you from somewhere.......

Alan

Legend
Let's not get carried away about this "great depth" we have. We have our starters and GR. Not what I'd call great depth.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Four years ago GR would have been the best lineman the Rams had the day he showed up for camp. I find it very encouraging that is not the case now.

This is truth and it is very new to us isn't it lol.

Remember when the Rams couldn't pressure the QB worth a darn and third stringers put up 115 ratings?MSam would have made that 53 man roster back then but now he gets cut. This roster has talent and as well has some depth emerging too.

Think about this team playing the Rams of 2007 to 2011.......it would be a blowout. Fisher and Snead, while not perfect, are moving along nicely in what is in my opinion arguably the biggest reclamation project in the NFL........ever.

I recall one poster saying that it would take 5 years to get the Rams back into contention based on how bad the roster was and that you could only add so many decent players per year.

We've come a long way baby!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Not just that, but Quinn didn't even dress for his first few games. I'm guessing he ended up a bust too
Quinn's situation was quite different guys, remember he sat out the prior season and had the tumor that was being checked out.

Memphis Ram

Legend
IMO, while there is always a mix, if one leans more towards a need based drafting philosophy then it's easier to be disappointed. However, if one leans more towards a BPA mindset, they already know something like this is possible.

Many of the same concerns were expressed when it looked like the Rams had a chance at selecting Clowney. He wasn't going to start over Quinn or Long. But, it would have been more palatable for some because he happens to play a position that rotates while Robinson does not enjoy the same luxury. Basically, it's the same with Donald.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
Let's not get carried away about this "great depth" we have. We have our starters and GR. Not what I'd call great depth.
I didn't say great depth, I said it's great to have a first round pick as a backup/depth in his rookie year basicly instead of needing to play him when he wasn't totally ready,I was talking about a singular player not all our backups.
And I stand by the statement these two would be starting elsewhere,especially Aaron Donald.
I too was wanting to draft Matthews but I've watched him and FWIW he's not any more ready to start now than GR is but Atlanta has no choice ,it's nice to have this choice.

Like I said in another post,we see these things the way we want to see them ,I choose to see the obvious positive that we GOT two of the best linemen in this draft and have people ahead of them in the minds of the coaching staff,it says good things if for no other reason than that when some peoples contracts come due we won't have to be desperate and bust our cap to sign them.

It's all what you make of it, I agree overall the depth isn't great on the o-line,but the d-line is asshole deep to a ten foot Indian

SaneRamsFan

Rookie
By all accounts (I wasn't able to make any practices) GRob is a manchild-behemoth. He dominates DL physically in one on one drills. I have heard this repeated over and over. I saw the guy play extensively in college. D'Marco Farr said after the FIRST practice he knew Jason Smith couldn't play in this league. Don't compare Robinson to Smith because it's not even close. Robinson still needs seasoning in the NFL system and we are in a position to give it to him. See the last preseason game for reference (penalties). I have no doubt that physically he will dominate and before season end he will have the mental aspect down to the point he will win a starting postion on the field. In fact I think I will go order his and Donalds jersey right now. WooHoo sundays only 4 more days!

Memphis Ram

Legend
Not buying that. You would not have bought it back on draft day also.

I may be a starter on the Dallas DL. I bet Jake Matthews is a starter for us if drafted.

No biggie. Just temporarily (hopefully) disappointed.

I think Matthews competition would have been Barksdale at RT. I have my doubts they would have moved him inside to guard.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I understand what you're saying but when we took GR instead of Matthews we knew he was raw and not ready. That's why I wanted Matthews. Guess what though? From what I've been reading, Matthews has been struggling too. I'm not even sure he's starting. Give it time Sum because with GR we know we have a physical beast and we didn't know that about Smith. Smith was just a converted TE that people had high expectations of.
I thought Matthews was playing quite well by several accounts. He was slated to start at RT and holding his own performing quite well against JJwatt in preseason. Then they shifted him to LT due to injury where he will start albeit he is adjusting to the move.
Only time will answer the questions being asked and calm nerves. So far GR is obviously not ready hopefully when he is called on he is ready

blue4

Hall of Fame
Name
blue4
I liked Matthews myself, but I wouldn't/haven't have complained about Robinson or Martin. I don't get the rush to move him to tackle, either.

"This guy will be an absolute road grader at guard someday, just mowing people down. So the first thing we need to do is move him to LT where he can spend the rest of his days worrying about pass blocking." says everyone.

Let's see how JLong does before rushing any move. I'm kind of looking forward to massive holes being blown up the middle. Ain't this a running team now?

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It's not just a wee bit early to judge the 2014 draft class - it's waaay to early.

It's too early to judge the 2013 class too, by the way.