Thoughts on Rams 1st round picks and depth chart?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
I'm a pretty patient fan...but I don't believe that a player NOT playing this year is a good thing. If Robinson is as good as advertised and was simply beat out then thats great, but I have my doubts that's definitely the case. Similarly, speaking of the depth of the team that we don't "have to start rookies" is a bit of rationalizing to me. Don't get me wrong, I'm excited for this season and think the Rams are going to be a pretty good team, with or without our starting QB...but the Rams are coming off a 7-9 season and have plenty of room for improvement at a few starting spots.

Like I said, I'm not ready to go and jump off a ledge or anything...but it I'd feel a lot better about Robinson if he was at the top of the depth chart somewhere.
Id have to agree

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
SO, would you feel better if he were starting? and struggled, giving up damaging sacks, committing false starts, and missing assignments? But as long as he is starting you would feel better? PLEASE? man oh man,, because his career will be defined by not starting week one of his rookie season, in a position that was going to be a major adjustment to begin with.

When by almost all accounts, is now being manned by someone who could possibly be an All-Pro Guard. Step back away from the ledge.
CoachO, youve just described our starting O line for years now.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
From an old ESPN article after a writer got her hands on a fraction of a Cardinals playbook

QBs, O-linemen have the most to learn

"Remember, don't panic."

The line comes at about the midway point of the 2004 Arizona Cardinals offensive playbook, in a section of two-minute drill coaching points. It says the quarterback needs to be aware of his situation, avoid being a hero, and go to a referee standing behind him if the team needs a timeout.

To the layman, this may be the only decipherable page in 300 turns.

The 34 pinch, the 62 gap, the pinto triple. Base protections, scat protections, the naked right. Hey, Cardinals fans, wanna hear about the hound/fox? It's a seven-man play-action slide protection, and it has 18 diagrams that resemble Chinese.

So much for the stereotype that football players are dumb jocks.

"The intellectual ability of a player is only a fraction of what will ultimately determine his success," Redskins offensive coordinator Al Saunders said, "but it is a part of it. Obviously, the brighter somebody is, the better chance they have to go farther."

The first thing a rookie on the 2004 Cardinals team would see in his playbook, after the schedule, is a description of how to line up in the huddle. Seems basic enough. The center forms the huddle 7 yards from the ball, hands on knees. Ball, T, G, C, G, T and so on.

Next come the audible packages and colors and terms. A few pages along, it gets far more complex.

Block O on or off the LOS. Alert for NUDGE vs. Mike strong. If "1" technique to playside, make "GAP" call. Vs. Triple, drive block the NT. Center plus 3 alert for audible.

The good news is that the rookie isn't expected to memorize everything or know all 11 positions on the field. But a quarterback better have a good grasp of them. Offensive linemen, coaches say, have the second-hardest playbook cramming sessions. On defense, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says, the linebackers must be quick studies.

Some offensive coordinators, such as Saunders, like to describe plays and formations with a decent chunk of text. The more information and explanation, the better.

The Cardinals' 2004 book, at least the version obtained by ESPN.com, is heavy on sketches and limited on words. But that's what classrooms are for. By the end of camp, veterans say, a rookie who wants to play should have a decent handle on his playbook. Sounds like a reason to panic.​

diehard99

UDFA
Name
Derek Blac
From an old ESPN article after a writer got her hands on a fraction of a Cardinals playbook

QBs, O-linemen have the most to learn

"Remember, don't panic."

The line comes at about the midway point of the 2004 Arizona Cardinals offensive playbook, in a section of two-minute drill coaching points. It says the quarterback needs to be aware of his situation, avoid being a hero, and go to a referee standing behind him if the team needs a timeout.

To the layman, this may be the only decipherable page in 300 turns.

The 34 pinch, the 62 gap, the pinto triple. Base protections, scat protections, the naked right. Hey, Cardinals fans, wanna hear about the hound/fox? It's a seven-man play-action slide protection, and it has 18 diagrams that resemble Chinese.

So much for the stereotype that football players are dumb jocks.

"The intellectual ability of a player is only a fraction of what will ultimately determine his success," Redskins offensive coordinator Al Saunders said, "but it is a part of it. Obviously, the brighter somebody is, the better chance they have to go farther."

The first thing a rookie on the 2004 Cardinals team would see in his playbook, after the schedule, is a description of how to line up in the huddle. Seems basic enough. The center forms the huddle 7 yards from the ball, hands on knees. Ball, T, G, C, G, T and so on.

Next come the audible packages and colors and terms. A few pages along, it gets far more complex.

Block O on or off the LOS. Alert for NUDGE vs. Mike strong. If "1" technique to playside, make "GAP" call. Vs. Triple, drive block the NT. Center plus 3 alert for audible.

The good news is that the rookie isn't expected to memorize everything or know all 11 positions on the field. But a quarterback better have a good grasp of them. Offensive linemen, coaches say, have the second-hardest playbook cramming sessions. On defense, Chiefs coach Herm Edwards says, the linebackers must be quick studies.

Some offensive coordinators, such as Saunders, like to describe plays and formations with a decent chunk of text. The more information and explanation, the better.

The Cardinals' 2004 book, at least the version obtained by ESPN.com, is heavy on sketches and limited on words. But that's what classrooms are for. By the end of camp, veterans say, a rookie who wants to play should have a decent handle on his playbook. Sounds like a reason to panic.​
I really only have one question, how do we draft a guy 2nd overall thats not going to start and seattle drafts britt from mizzou who starting for them at rt tackle. They also have a converted dt (sweezy i think ) at rt guard. wonder if this is too much to ask.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
I really only have one question, how do we draft a guy 2nd overall thats not going to start and seattle drafts britt from mizzou who starting for them at rt tackle. They also have a converted dt (sweezy i think ) at rt guard. wonder if this is too much to ask.

Let me answer your question with a question of my own. Do you think that if Les Snead called John Schneider right now and offered him Greg Robinson for both Britt and Sweezy that there is any chance in hell that Schneider would turn him down? Me neither.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm not sure you can even compare the two positions, though. QB is probably the most difficult position in all sports.

And yet so many of the recent QBs have started. Isn't that the argument against G-Rob? So many recent OLs have started immediately. Unlike Orlando Pace who sat early on.

But it's also worth mentioning that the reasons why the Jaguars are sitting Bortles are much of the same reasons why G-Rob is sitting.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Because Seattle is desperate. They signed Eric Winston so Britt wouldn't have to start but Winston was even worse. Seattle would start a better option if they had one. Britt will more than likely be a liability for them this year at RT.

J.R. Sweezy is going into his third year. Not a comparable situation. Especially considering he was terrible when he played as a rookie AND struggled last year as well as a sophomore.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
Let's not forget that Fisher traditionally has been reticent to start rookies. It's only out of necessity that he's had to during this "retrofit" (hard to find a word that won't start a food fight).

But if you look at his previous tenure, Fisher has always been cautious in playing rookies and preferred vets when possible. I think Robinson will be fine and he'll play well for the Rams. Giving him a chance to get his bearings shows the courage of the Rams organization to only start him when he's ready rather than potentially stunt his development in a foolish and needless rush to placate fans and media. And for what end? To see a QB or RB hurt?

Really, if we can't trust Coach Boo at this point, I'm not sure who we can trust at Rams Park...

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
OK thee was a guy with that name and I haven't seen him since.....was just wonderin'

A55VA6

Legend
This kind of shows that our team is getting better.. to where we don't have to force our 1st rounders to start right away because we have other players that are ready right now. I'm not worried a bit. It also provides great depth if there's an injury.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
No problem. I guess I need to get more creative with my handles. Didn't mean to use someone else's!

No worries it's been years that's why I asked......I was wondering "how have you been" and by the way you and he are the only ones I've seen use the name.

You're safe haha.

HometownBoy

Hall of Fame
Name
Aaron
Harldy the first time first rounders have sat, happened to us as recent as 2011, let's not get into all time or rookies not even ours, I don't know why people are acting like this is something new?

Memphis Ram

Legend
I do agree that our improved line up and returning a probowler LT in Jake Long might push GR back. The thought that he is "Raw" should not be a qualifier for the 2nd pick in the draft.
Let's take a quick look at 5 of the best OT's in the game today(not cherry picking)
. Duane Brown drafted 1st rd. @ 26 by Texans Started LT day 1
Ryan Clady drafted 1st Rd. @12 by Denver Started LT day 1
Joe Staley drafted 1st Rd.@ 28 by 49ers Started RT day 1
Tyron Smith drafted 1st Rd. @ 9 by Cowboys Started RT day 1
Joe Thomas drafted 1st Rd. @ 3 by Browns Started LT day 1
None of the above drafted as high as GR.
We are not asking GR to start LT or even RT. He has to beat out players at the smaller guard position. For a physical mauler, I think that should be fait accompli. Way too early to panic. We have years to do that. BUT golly. Can't blame some for expecting more.

Still while probably deserving, none of them had anyone close to Jake Long, Rodger Saffold, or David Joseph on their roster competing for their same spot. And Clady and Thomas were the only one that hardly struggled as rookies.

Last edited:

SanAnRam

Just an educated redneck
Great thread!
As everyone will attest continuity on the Oline is paramont to their success. If we roll this entire year with a starting lineup of Long, Saffold, Wells, Joseph, and Barksdale playing 85-90% of the snaps, I be willing to bet we make the playoffs. Having the young stud (and I was hooting when we picked that big fatty) as primary backup to Long/Saffold makes me feel a hell of alot better than seeing us trot out a Goldberg/Williams meh.
Donald drew two or three votes on MMQB for D rook of the year. We're good with my namesake, and GRob will play and play well for us when his time comes. As someone pointed out, makes letting Long walk at the end of his contract pretty easy.
Here's hoping for a great, HEALTHLY season.
NOW HIT SOMEBODY!

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Dang! I hate when this happens. Now this is gonna bother for some time.:mad: Hours maybe. :( :LOL:
Of course I could just be full of it. :barefoot:

I remember reading about one of his practices and them talking about how he was struggling. Maybe it was in one of the preseason games.
I never doubted you for a second Alan your word is good as gold with me, I just thought maybe we read different things. I have this weird fascination with reading about players we pass in the draft especially when I liked them in college or they play a position we are in need of. P.S Martin seems to be starting for Dallas as well. GRob will be fine I just don't want him coming in to spell an injury.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Because Seattle is desperate. They signed Eric Winston so Britt wouldn't have to start but Winston was even worse. Seattle would start a better option if they had one. Britt will more than likely be a liability for them this year at RT.

J.R. Sweezy is going into his third year. Not a comparable situation. Especially considering he was terrible when he played as a rookie AND struggled last year as well as a sophomore.

Long and Quinn must be licking their chops in anticipation.