Thoughts on Corey Littleton ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Johnson is the #10 ranked safety in football. Pretty sure Rook won the job.

Rookie JJ III beat 2 yr starter Alexander out of his starting position & out of the NFL.

Snead need to draft another safety in 2018 just like he did in 2017. Snead has already found starting UDFA safeties in Rodney McLeod & Cody Davis plus he drafted TJ McDonald, Lamarcus Joyner, Mo Alexander, & now John Johnson III all with 3rd or 4th round selections.

Why? you ask reason being with FOUR Tru, NRC, Joyner & Davis all UFA's in less than 3 months high probability that we will loose Tru & Joyner to very big $$$ contract like we lost JJ & McLeod..

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah he was so good at SS that a top 10 draft pick got traded for a 4th and 6th round pick before his rookie deal was done. Then he gets moved to LB and his career is resurrected so of course Rams fans want to move him back to SS where he struggled and not leave him at LB where he's been amazing.

I believe Barron was moved to free safety during his last year with the Bucs, and he was playing ok but not great in that role, so the Bucs moved him. However, he has always been a great strong safety. We just didn't need him to play that position because we had TJ, Mo, and Rodney Mcleod. So Fish created this "hybrid" role that Barron plays really well. And there is no reason to switch him back, at this point. I do worry, however, about him holding up long-term.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Last season the Rams ran with two strong safety types Mo Alexander 6-1/223 & TJ McDonald 6-3/219 lbs this season we have LJ & JJ III both are very small small NFL safeties....5-8 190 lbs & 6-1 204 lbs. Both of our starting safeties flip & flop positions & sides. Both of our starting safeties can play the Nickel or Dime in Wade's pass defense coverage's. Wade played a ton of Nickle & dime last Sunday going with a 4 DL'ers in pass rush mode. How did that work out.

How would you rate our Ram 2017 safeties vs the taller bigger 2016 starting safeties?

WestCoastRam

Legend
I was curious how Littleton did in the game, the only play I remember was where he passed off the TE in zone but no one was there to pick him up and Willson scored. I wondered if he screwed up the play... it seemed like it was a miscommunication or something...

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
You haven’t seen Barron at SS in four years and when he did play there, he disappointed. Ask the Bucs. Why would he be any better there now and why would Rams bench Johnson who’s been playing very solid football?
Ask the Bucs? They sure look like they know what they're doing...if solid is what you're going for....fine...if busting up Barron is cool...fine...
Johnson is the #10 ranked safety in football. Pretty sure Rook won the job.
lol...by who's ranking? do they count missed tackles?
However, he(Barron) has always been a great strong safety.
Truth at last.....
How would you rate our Ram 2017 safeties vs the taller bigger 2016 starting safeties?
Different defensive philosophies...remember Williams would play a safety 20+ yards deep...like he's gonna be in most plays back there...basically playing 10 on 11...but, what do I know? Just some dude on a puter....

Was the safeties lookin solid vs a serious passing team? How bout a serious running team? Johnson's cool...I think Barron brings more to the table...in any role. I think Johnson leaves a lot of plays on the table that Barron can make...I think Littleton brings something to the table for our run defense....and frees up Barron to play his more natural position.

On to Tennessee...serious run team right there..tryin to save their playoff hopes...should be a good game.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I dunno. Someone else posted the rankings of all the Rams players.

If it was PFF, then I'll admit I'll take that with a grain of salt, but JJIII passes the eye test.

Also, I'd like a lot of things that won't happen. Many of us wanted Joyner at FS under Fisher, but that wasn't EVER going to happen because Fisher INSISTS on bigger Safeties.

So, lemme help you out. Short of a run of injuries (God Forbid!), Barron won't be at Safety...at least not for us.

If he ends up on another team, who knows and I won't speculate. But Barron's simply not going to be a Safety on this team as long as Wade is in charge of the defense.

Wish in one hand and crap in the other, whaddya got?

WestCoastRam

Legend
Barron has always been a liability in coverage at safety since he entered the league. I just don't see how you can get away with playing him at SS unless you played almost exclusively cover-3 ala the Seahawks.

Johnson may not be the run defender Barron is but he's already a better pass defender.

Putting Barron back at safety is like bringing a knife to a gun fight. Sure, you've got a knife and ain't no one gonna be better at cutting you but - BAM! - you're dead.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Three times I recall seeing a backup Rams player consistently make big “splash” plays on ST’s with an uncanny knack for blocking punts, and I’d think,”that guy needs to start on defense.”

First time was Leonard Little.
Second time was Robert Quinn.
Third time was Corey Littleton.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
That's because Hager is the primary backup for Tree, and Littleton is the backup for Barron. It's a different role, if not we'd see either Littleton or Hager as the primary backup for both. As Tree's primary backup Hager would be 1st in line as the MLB, but thats not the argument. Hager wouldn't start over Littleton in Barron's role, who seems to be dinged up often. Littleton would and has played/started for Barron.

True - I thought he said starting over Hager ? Tree has the bad arm.He is the play caller. He also is a core special teamer.

How many all-pros do The Rams have on special teams ?

Zurline was on pace, but that extra point miss didn’t help. He was on pace for a scoring record.

Littleton might be top 3 all around ?

Then Pharoh Cooper just put on a show at Seattle. Took the job from Tavon & never gave it back.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Hager makes the calls...He has the other wired helmet that either Son of Bum or that dude from Washington...the LB coach uses to call the defensive signals...and makes adjustments after a QB audibles....I get that.

Teach Corey the calls an adjustments...not this year...but definitely in the future. Littleton is too good of a player to remain on the bench....
Because I think Barron is a superior player at SS.

You have not liked John Johnson since the beginning.He has come in a Kicked Mo Alexander to the curb.

That trade by Les Snead is over looked. John Johnson could have been the steal of the 2017 draft.

Les knew Gerald Everett’s value.Gerald was McVay’s choice in the 2nd. The Rams needed a TE disparately.McVay trusted the process in Snead.It’s been a excellent relationship from the beginning of McVays hiring.

Littleton might be the better player. Brice has soon his value though.I trust Wade Phillips.I don’t know how you can’t?

This Rams defense is on pace to be The Rams best ever. There was N amazing stat thrown out there during the Hawks game.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Do you mean MLB as in Ogletree's spot or MLB in general as in ILB? Hager is the backup for Tree, he played for Tree when injured. Littleton comes in for Barron.

Littleton has been getting snaps all season long, Hager's first defensive appearance came in week 7 along with the other backups.

Littleton's snap counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LittCo01/fantasy/2017

Hager's snap counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HageBr00/fantasy/2017

You got it right on your next post. I’m just saying Hager has his role.Litteton maybe a better MLBer like LA ChAmp suggests?

He won’t start over Hager at MLBer was my point.Wase states that if Tree was going to be hurt against Philly? I think that was the game. He also stated Tree looked good enough to go. Played with that big padding & Wentz through a TD pass Tree would have defended if healthy.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Rookie JJ III beat 2 yr starter Alexander out of his starting position & out of the NFL.

Snead need to draft another safety in 2018 just like he did in 2017. Snead has already found starting UDFA safeties in Rodney McLeod & Cody Davis plus he drafted TJ McDonald, Lamarcus Joyner, Mo Alexander, & now John Johnson III all with 3rd or 4th round selections.

Why? you ask reason being with FOUR Tru, NRC, Joyner & Davis all UFA's in less than 3 months high probability that we will loose Tru & Joyner to very big $$$ contract like we lost JJ & McLeod..

I believe Wade played a big role in the selection. He knew John Johnson on a personal level as well.

Snead made the trade to get to that spot. I think it is a team effort. I really am excited from a stand point of future drafts for the franchise. I believe The Rams win the SuperOwl in Stan’s House.

Stan is a big reason there will be a 2028 Olympics in LA.Historical piece of property he bought. Hollywood Park was a special place. It’s just going to bring in more STARS now.

Not to poo poo your post.

I will bring up Stewart who became a pro bowl player for Wade last season.He was a udfa for The Rams who Les & Fisher traded to Baltimore.

Bonifay you post a lot like myself & I enjoy your thoughts & Knowledge on the
Rams.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Littleton might be the better player. Brice has soon his value though.I trust Wade Phillips.I don’t know how you can’t?
maybe I have trust issues....IDK.
I saw the games vs Philly....and Minnesota...Hell, include Dallas too.

I think the defense needs to be dominant to advance in the playoffs.

Bonifay you post a lot like myself & I enjoy your thoughts & Knowledge on the
Rams.
Suck up!

Just kidding....:rolllaugh: Boni knows his shit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I believe Barron was moved to free safety during his last year with the Bucs, and he was playing ok but not great in that role, so the Bucs moved him. However, he has always been a great strong safety. We just didn't need him to play that position because we had TJ, Mo, and Rodney Mcleod. So Fish created this "hybrid" role that Barron plays really well. And there is no reason to switch him back, at this point. I do worry, however, about him holding up long-term.

It was Williams who created the position. He wanted Barron at LBer because of his talents.He could disguise the defense better.
He took over for Ogletree I believe at OLB ? Tree got hurt against Washington I believe?

Barron led The Rams in tackles ??

Williams had the SS from the U who got shot.He was one of the best ever.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
maybe I have trust issues....IDK.
I saw the games vs Philly....and Minnesota...Hell, include Dallas too.

I think the defense needs to be dominant to advance in the playoffs.

Suck up!

Just kidding....:rolllaugh: Boni knows his crap.

Funny shit !

The Rams defense has always been built to stop Russell Wilson . Aaron Donald is like a magnet to him. He was not 100% game reDy the first time they met this season.

I think The Rams defense is finding there way. They will be playoff ready.

Mark Barron has been banged up all season. He gets his days off of practice during the week. McVay just talked about how first team reps help Cory to be game ready.