Thoughts on Corey Littleton ?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
Barron & Ogletree are tough. I don’t see Ogletree playing any other position. In fact #54 plYs mlb before Littleton will.
Do you mean MLB as in Ogletree's spot or MLB in general as in ILB? Hager is the backup for Tree, he played for Tree when injured. Littleton comes in for Barron.

Littleton has been getting snaps all season long, Hager's first defensive appearance came in week 7 along with the other backups.

Littleton's snap counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LittCo01/fantasy/2017

Hager's snap counts: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/H/HageBr00/fantasy/2017

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Barron & Ogletree are tough. I don’t see Ogletree playing any other position. In fact #54 plYs mlb before Littleton will.
Seemed like Corey moved ahead of Hager yesterday. And I see why. I just don't think Barron can hold up for 16 games. He's getting beat up. Maybe it's nothing...and we need him on the field. He's a key piece to this success.

Wade is not ever going to change Barron from LBer. He has said many of times Mark is a LBer who brings excellent cover skills.He is unique for that position.
Meh....maybe...maybe not. I still think as a LB vs the run, he's vulnerable to guards and tackles that get into his body. He's an excellent player in coverage. Which is why I think he could seemlessly move back to SS....which is basically a LB that roams a bit...follows certain TE's and RB's...and can still get down and dirty vs the run with LESS traffic/blockers with a bead on him.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Seemed like Corey moved ahead of Hager yesterday. And I see why. I just don't think Barron can hold up for 16 games. He's getting beat up. Maybe it's nothing...and we need him on the field. He's a key piece to this success.

Meh....maybe...maybe not. I still think as a LB vs the run, he's vulnerable to guards and tackles that get into his body. He's an excellent player in coverage. Which is why I think he could seemlessly move back to SS....which is basically a LB that roams a bit...follows certain TE's and RB's...and can still get down and dirty vs the run with LESS traffic/blockers with a bead on him.

You just made me go back and do a quick recap.

#52 Ogletree was in at MLB 10.50into 4th qrt we. The next series on D” like 10:14 #54 was in playing LBer ?
When Ogletree got hurt against like The Saints ? Hager replaced Ogletree.Wade aid when he came in The Rams shut them down. He did a good job play calling. That is why they gave him a game ball.
He was in on the Safety called on Wilson.

Petterson was in on the next series at CB for Tru.
Man I really like him. He came up on a short rout for a out of bounds INT. It was so close to the sidelines.Really close play.

Last edited:

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Always looking ahead....always plan ahead.
John Johnson won't be hurt from a season...or two...as Mark Barron's backup. Joyner IS playing great.
Please explain to me why you'd bench a rookie who is playing well?

shovelpass

Hall of Fame
You just made me go back and do a quick recap.

#52 Ogletree was in at MLB 10.50into 4th qrt we. The next series on D” like 10:14 #54 was in playing LBer ?
When Ogletree got hurt against like The Saints ? Hager replaced Ogletree.Wade aid when he came in The Rams shut them down. He did a good job play calling. That is why they gave him a game ball.

Petterson was in on the next series at CB for Tru.
Man I really like him. He came up on a short rout for a out of bounds INT. It was so close to the sidelines.Really close play.
That's because Hager is the primary backup for Tree, and Littleton is the backup for Barron. It's a different role, if not we'd see either Littleton or Hager as the primary backup for both. As Tree's primary backup Hager would be 1st in line as the MLB, but thats not the argument. Hager wouldn't start over Littleton in Barron's role, who seems to be dinged up often. Littleton would and has played/started for Barron.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Hager makes the calls...He has the other wired helmet that either Son of Bum or that dude from Washington...the LB coach uses to call the defensive signals...and makes adjustments after a QB audibles....I get that.

Teach Corey the calls an adjustments...not this year...but definitely in the future. Littleton is too good of a player to remain on the bench....
Please explain to me why you'd bench a rookie who is playing well?
Because I think Barron is a superior player at SS.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Hager makes the calls...He has the other wired helmet that either Son of Bum or that dude from Washington...the LB coach uses to call the defensive signals...and makes adjustments after a QB audibles....I get that.

Teach Corey the calls an adjustments...not this year...but definitely in the future. Littleton is too good of a player to remain on the bench....
Because I think Barron is a superior player at SS.
Does he ever play ss though? He's been our backer for sometime now

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Does he ever play ss though?
Check out Barron when we play heavy passing teams...he's always covering someone man to man....or in a zone...he does essentially SS work while at LB...It's like we run a 4-1-6....

I think he's played LB for 3 years here....and his body is starting to show the effects. He's never been this beat up.

We're gonna need him vs real teams...playoff teams...real offenses.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Check out Barron when we play heavy passing teams...he's always covering someone man to man....or in a zone...he does essentially SS work while at LB...It's like we run a 4-1-6....

I think he's played LB for 3 years here....and his body is starting to show the effects. He's never been this beat up.

We're gonna need him vs real teams...playoff teams...real offenses.
I got ya. I'm sure Wade will make the adjustment if it gets to that

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I really like Barron. During all of the draft/FA stuff, I have always kept Barron.

That said, things are changing...

Quinn's coming on like gangbusters, Littleton is starting to play lights out and Barron has an unspecified knee injury.

Even with the cap going up, we're going to have to make some decisions.

This is the dilemma of successful teams.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I really like Barron. During all of the draft/FA stuff, I have always kept Barron.

That said, things are changing...

Quinn's coming on like gangbusters, Littleton is starting to play lights out and Barron has an unspecified knee injury.

Even with the cap going up, we're going to have to make some decisions.

This is the dilemma of successful teams.
Not sure what Barron's Unhealthy situation was in 2017 TC & Pre season, when he was MIA, but I suspect that he has an bad knee. The reason Barron was held out all TC & Pre season was not documented remained UNKNOWN.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
Several of our members have posted their thoughts that Ogletree would be a better fit & play in the Barron WS interior LB'ing post (play maker) post with better results plus the size factor because Tree is larger man. In addition many members have posted their desires to get a run thumper inserted somewhere in the middle of our "D" to combat the run defense issues the Rams "D" has experience most all season early in the first half..

Fact is Rams have 3 LB'ers who will earn 69 million cap funds the next 2 seasons. Quinn's near 26 mil., Tree's 23.5 mil. & Barron's 19 mil. One might expect some considerations to try to get that ultra high cap hits for 2018/2019 down a good amount so to get the Aaron Donald contract completed & done.UDFA Cory Littleton talent & skill might come into play here in this serious matter. Most know I am a big Mark Barron fan too. Business is Business after all.

Well, it's not just women who consider size matters, but Ogletree isn't the answer for switching roles with Barron. Tree's worst grades are coming from his run defense, although Barron's aren't much of an improvement, they both have better fields. Having the size doesn't always translate to having the willingness to take on these O-Linemen and RB's coming in their direction. While you (BonifayRam) have pointed out the significant imbalance at ILB in terms of CAP, it's hard to see how it's rectified in the immediate future, although with Quinn's resurgence and the OLB'ers improved play has diminished some urgency of late, we still need to improve our run defense next year. Hard to say where Brockers will play next season, whether he will return to NT or play outside, so it's easy to assume we'll add a DE or NT to the D-Line depth chart, and Littleton thus far is our ranking ILB rush defender in limited snaps, so he may become that rotational guy in the middle. Still, I can't help think that Todd Davis, a potential Denver free agent and someone who played under Wade Phillips for 2 seasons may be added to our line-up as he is a top ten rush defending ILB. Money will matter. jmo.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Does he ever play ss though? He's been our backer for sometime now
Yeah he was so good at SS that a top 10 draft pick got traded for a 4th and 6th round pick before his rookie deal was done. Then he gets moved to LB and his career is resurrected so of course Rams fans want to move him back to SS where he struggled and not leave him at LB where he's been amazing.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah he was so good at SS that a top 10 draft pick got traded for a 4th and 6th round pick before his rookie deal was done. Then he gets moved to LB and his career is resurrected so of course Rams fans want to move him back to SS where he struggled and not leave him at LB where he's been amazing.
Lol I was thinking g the same but I figured maybe some knows something I don't

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
Damnit Boni!!!!! My DVR didn't record the damn game! Go back...back to what????

Interesting breakdown....not Son of Bum like at all....

I've wanted Corey to get a lil time for Barron for a while...thought he played exceptional...very in-tune with the workings of this defense....

Yesterday was about the pass rush generated by the front....But Littleton showed he's ready for a larger role.

I'd still insert Barron as a SS....to help this run defense against better offenses.
You haven’t seen Barron at SS in four years and when he did play there, he disappointed. Ask the Bucs. Why would he be any better there now and why would Rams bench Johnson who’s been playing very solid football?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River

That's an interesting question. While Barron struggled as a 4-3 SS, his being moved to LB under Williams made for a wonder of good. Thing is, how would Wade use him as a SS, would he essentially become a 5'th LB'er, or would he be asked to resume a different/former duty where he was once less than impressive ?

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You haven’t seen Barron at SS in four years and when he did play there, he disappointed. Ask the Bucs. Why would he be any better there now and why would Rams bench Johnson who’s been playing very solid football?
Shhhhhhhh he's basing this off watching Barron play at SS covering Brian Quick in training camp one afternoon :D

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's an interesting question. While Barron struggled as a 4-3 SS, his being moved to LB under Williams made for a wonder of good. Thing is, how would Wade use him as a SS, would he essentially become a 5'th LB'er, or would he be asked to resume a different/former duty where he was once less than impressive ?
An interesting quote which brings me back to something that your grandfather and mine probably each said to us at one point in time, or many in my case I'm sure. If it aint broke don't fix it. Barron has been great at LB and Johnson has been very good especially for a rookie. I love us Rams fans trying to reinvent the wheel while our Ferrari is out on the race track and looking damned good doing it.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Not sure what Barron's Unhealthy situation was in 2017 TC & Pre season, when he was MIA, but I suspect that he has an bad knee. The reason Barron was held out all TC & Pre season was not documented remained UNKNOWN.

Just saw this......

Myles Simmons @MylesASimmons

HC McVay says #LARams ILB Mark Barron had some knee soreness that flared up during Sunday’s game, but adds, “We feel like Mark will be OK.” Will have another update on Wednesday.

12/18/2017, 7:09:07 PM

Joe Curley @vcsjoecurley

McVay says Mark Barron has had some knee soreness, which didn’t respond in the cold in Seattle. Said Littleton played well in his stead.

12/18/2017, 6:59:22 PM

http://bleacherreport.com/los-angeles-rams

Good thing that he plays half his games in DRY LA on grass

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack

Johnson is the #10 ranked safety in football. Pretty sure Rook won the job.