The Vikings

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
I will respectfully disagree with your opinion on our 'Expectation'. And I Firmly believe the Vikes are really going to regret letting Jared Allen go!
Could be with Allen. He was their leader, more than just a sack guy.
I am just looking at Williams stat history....admittedly that can be misleading. I do expect improvement on D.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
You guys are forgetting that this year we have Gregg Williams, not Tim Walton.
I doubt they will make many points, even with AP and C. Patterson.

And you're forgetting the Vikings didn't run on Tim Walton's defense in 2013, it was Gregg Williams defense coordinated by his son Blake Williams in 2012, so again, one game at a time...Nothing is a given or forever even cold November rain.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Yeah you're right, we replaced Dahl with a much better safety in McCleod (sarcasm). We are in more trouble than most of you think. We might have the worst safety duo in the NFL, and we need safeties to tackle and stop AP.

Patterson will also be hard to stop. He has Percy Harvin ability in a much larger body. They will come at us with screens to him and AP, and will run the ball a lot. Also if Bridgewater starts they'll be much better in the pass game.

Ummm no.... You kidding me?? Your comparing Mcleod to Dahl? Thats like comparing Pluto and Jupiter in relation to distance from the sun. Our safeties aren't bad.

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I'm less worried about Patterson in the return game, especially punt returns.

I mean, last year, we barely gave up over 100 yards ALL YEAR LONG on punt returns. All. Year.

We were sick, we were so good on punt coverage and I expect us to keep that edge.

Short of us having big mental errors on D, I think we get out to a lead and then that means tough sledding for that Vikings offense because it means dealing with our front 7 pinning their ears back... not a great place to be.

ausmurp

Starter
Ummm no.... You kidding me?? Your comparing Mcleod to Dahl? Thats like comparing Pluto and Jupiter in relation to distance from the sun. Our safeties aren't bad.

Dude McCleod is every bit as bad as Dahl. At least with Dahl we had Mikel. I'll take Mikel (who played at an all pro level with panthers last yr) and Dahl over McCleod and McDonald all day.

I'm as shocked as you were of me, that you think McCleod is much better than Dahl. Crazy. So many big pass plays given up that were safety dependant last yr. JJ played bad too but still, safeties were terrible.

BriansRams

"Rams next Superbowl is 2023 season." - (Oct 2022)
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Name
Brian
Dude McCleod is every bit as bad as Dahl. At least with Dahl we had Mikel. I'll take Mikel (who played at an all pro level with panthers last yr) and Dahl over McCleod and McDonald all day.

I'm as shocked as you were of me, that you think McCleod is much better than Dahl. Crazy. So many big pass plays given up that were safety dependant last yr. JJ played bad too but still, safeties were terrible.

I'd like to kindly disagree with you. McDonald is already pretty good, and will get much better every game this season. And McCleod isn't as bad as Dahl. McCleod isn't pro bowl by any stretch, but there is worse out there.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick

You kidding me? Dahl is the impithasis of suck. McCleod even though he was playing out of position, (because Walton is a useless creton), still played at a higher level than Dahl ever did. McDonald showed he had some realy good stuff when he got injured in his rookie year, and key there is rookie. And know this, in a Williams defense the position that get's a easy pass compared to the rest is the safety positions. It's like your upset we don't have John Lynch and Ed Reed back there man!

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think the Vikings are a prime "stack the box" kind of team to play defense against. AP will struggle to find space, Ponder scares nobody, and we really only have to worry about Patterson. I think we win in a land slide.

RamsesIII

UDFA
Adrian worked harder this offseason than he ever has. He's determined to have a historic season. I sure hope we're ready, because I know he will be.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
One game at a time Gentlemen...One game at a time...Last time the Rams faced Adrian Peterson he ran for 600 yards and it would not matter if Brock Berlin was the QB.

However we have a new sheriff in town by the name of Greg Williams. :cool:

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
However we have a new sheriff in town by the name of Greg Williams. :cool:

Well, his name is actually Gregg Williams;) and like I posted, it was his defense that Peterson ran against albeit his son Blake was calling the defense. In fact, it was that game in which Fisher became upset with Blake Williams because the Ram defense was blitzing too much and became exposed on the draw plays where Peterson rumbled for a ton of yardage.

ausmurp

Starter
Eh I guess maybe I see this team in more of a non-biased view than most here. It'll keep me sane when we go 7-9 or 8-8...

Our front is good, not great. JL55 has always struggled against the run. As I've said before, I'd take any of the other MLBs from our division over him and if we had any of those other guys we'd be much better against the run. You all throw out how good we were against the run last yr but in reality we were giving it up like candy from a baby in the pass game so of course teams will favor the pass when they play us, thus padding our run D stats.

You watch that 49er game at home and tell me McCleod didn't look like a Dahl clone back there. That game sticks out to me the most because Boldin was all over the backfield and our safeties just stood and watched.

It's all opinion anyway. I hope they play better this yr. JL55 lost weight so maybe he'll be faster/more athletic.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Eh I guess maybe I see this team in more of a non-biased view than most here. It'll keep me sane when we go 7-9 or 8-8...

Our front is good, not great. JL55 has always struggled against the run. As I've said before, I'd take any of the other MLBs from our division over him and if we had any of those other guys we'd be much better against the run. You all throw out how good we were against the run last yr but in reality we were giving it up like candy from a baby in the pass game so of course teams will favor the pass when they play us, thus padding our run D stats.

You watch that 49er game at home and tell me McCleod didn't look like a Dahl clone back there. That game sticks out to me the most because Boldin was all over the backfield and our safeties just stood and watched.

It's all opinion anyway. I hope they play better this yr. JL55 lost weight so maybe he'll be faster/more athletic.

I think you make some very strong points here. In fact the only one I really have a problem with is Laurenitis.

I just wanna point out that we have some much stronger peices to work with than we did a couple years ago. Just a few...

-Gregg Williams over Blake: I beleive it's safe to say Gregg is a much more accomplished DC than his son Blake. What he built in the Saints defense was remarkable considering they didn't have as talented of a defense as we do.

- Brockers and Quinn: The right side of the defensive line is the best in the NFL. In 2012, that would have been a highly debatable remark. Same guys, higher production. Brockers and Quinn did very well in stopping the run last year. They did much better in 2013, especially Quinn. Combined they joined for 24.5 sacks last year, too. These two will light up the back field and that's not even including Donald in the mix.

-Ogletree: He wasnt on the team in 2012. Our ability to contain the edges will loom large in controlling AP. If he is forced to stay between the tackles, I love our chances in stopping him.

Laurenitis: We've seen our share of great LB'er play in this stout division. Laurenitis isn't Willis, but he's a really solid player. He's weak against the run in what regard? If Patrick Willis is a 10 the Laurentis is a 7. That's not "weak" at all. If he was weak against the run then he wouldn't compile a ton of tackles year in and out. He's good but not the best. I definately feel he'll thrive in a high pressure scheme because he is a smart player. He'll be where he needs to be. That weak sauce defense Walton put together left a lot of players out to dry, Laurenitis and the secondary included.

Vastly upgraded offense: From the trenches to the weapons, we're worlds better off than in the 2012 season. Yes I'm banking on Bradford and the passing game, here, but I beleive in it. The ground game will be very good with Stacy running behind one of the best OG tandems in the league. Playing with a lead hinders AP on another level. Big difference in Ponder beating us and AP.

ausmurp

Starter
I think you make some very strong points here. In fact the only one I really have a problem with is Laurenitis.

I just wanna point out that we have some much stronger peices to work with than we did a couple years ago. Just a few...

-Gregg Williams over Blake: I beleive it's safe to say Gregg is a much more accomplished DC than his son Blake. What he built in the Saints defense was remarkable considering they didn't have as talented of a defense as we do.

- Brockers and Quinn: The right side of the defensive line is the best in the NFL. In 2012, that would have been a highly debatable remark. Same guys, higher production. Brockers and Quinn did very well in stopping the run last year. They did much better in 2013, especially Quinn. Combined they joined for 24.5 sacks last year, too. These two will light up the back field and that's not even including Donald in the mix.

-Ogletree: He wasnt on the team in 2012. Our ability to contain the edges will loom large in controlling AP. If he is forced to stay between the tackles, I love our chances in stopping him.

Laurenitis: We've seen our share of great LB'er play in this stout division. Laurenitis isn't Willis, but he's a really solid player. He's weak against the run in what regard? If Patrick Willis is a 10 the Laurentis is a 7. That's not "weak" at all. If he was weak against the run then he wouldn't compile a ton of tackles year in and out. He's good but not the best. I definately feel he'll thrive in a high pressure scheme because he is a smart player. He'll be where he needs to be. That weak sauce defense Walton put together left a lot of players out to dry, Laurenitis and the secondary included.

Vastly upgraded offense: From the trenches to the weapons, we're worlds better off than in the 2012 season. Yes I'm banking on Bradford and the passing game, here, but I beleive in it. The ground game will be very good with Stacy running behind one of the best OG tandems in the league. Playing with a lead hinders AP on another level. Big difference in Ponder beating us and AP.

Thanks. You're points a well rounded too. I agree we are the best dline against the pass in the entire league. They will probably improve against the run too, but we'll see. First we have to improve our defensive backfield against the pass to force teams to run the ball. If Kaepernick can beat us passing the ball as he did last yr, any other QB in the entire league can. Donald will be awesome but I am worried his run D will not be good.

On JL55 let me say this: I'm from Columbus Ohio, went to OSU, and wanted the rams to draft my fav player at the time thinking he would be a very good MLB in the NFL. I've met JL a few times and he is a great person, very family oriented and all. I probably know more abt him than most Rams fans do because of all this - I literally have watched every football game he's played in from his freshman yr in college to current times. He seems to struggle more as the yrs go on. I'd say he's a slightly above avg player at MLB. All 3 other division teams have elite MLBs - 9ers have 2. Ogletree is an elite athlete and is much faster than his 40 time suggested at the combine. I feel we would benefit more from having Ogletree at MLB as he could possibly match the play of Willis/Bowman/Washington/Wagoner.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Thanks. You're points a well rounded too. I agree we are the best dline against the pass in the entire league. They will probably improve against the run too, but we'll see. First we have to improve our defensive backfield against the pass to force teams to run the ball. If Kaepernick can beat us passing the ball as he did last yr, any other QB in the entire league can. Donald will be awesome but I am worried his run D will not be good.

Good stuff, I beleive we've closed the gap on Laurenitis.

I don't give Kap quite as much credit as you. In reference to the second game we had @SF in 2014, our defense defended Kap really well in the first half. My idea is our offense was so shell shocked and stagnant with Clemens leading the charge. For years our offense hasn't complimented our defense. The offense couldn't sustain a drive and Kap was on the field all game, it seemed. In that scenario, he was bound to break through. I just can't wait to see the how the tables turn with Bradford picking apart the SF secondary. Bathea, Brock, and Culliver scare nobody. I can only emagine what a healthy Kenny Britt, rejuvenated Quick, and Tavon could do with those match ups. Of course this is all complimented by our bruising rushing attack. Justin Smith is only getting older, too.

As for our secondary, how much time will Kap have? It's well documented how he struggles to find his second and third options, forget the fourth. Some added heat with Donald in the mix may be a recipe for total chaos in the SF back field. Of course we gotta stop the run, first. That could go either way.

I'm actually starting to look a little deeper into all the negative articles regarding our team's successes in 2014. Analysts say it boils down to Bradford, I think it boils down to the OL. If we give Stacy/Mason some running lanes and keep Bradford pretty clean, I think we'll win most any game. The panic that will undue on our division rivals when/if they struggle to control the trenches will be a great sight to see. We have that capability.

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
Well, his name is actually Gregg Williams;) and like I posted, it was his defense that Peterson ran against albeit his son Blake was calling the defense. In fact, it was that game in which Fisher became upset with Blake Williams because the Ram defense was blitzing too much and became exposed on the draw plays where Peterson rumbled for a ton of yardage.

Greggory Williams?

PrometheusFaulk

Starter
It's obviously a great first test for a run defense that will be tested often this year. The Vikings' defense is primarily young and unheralded, but they will present their own challenges with Greenway, Floyd, Harrison Smith and Rhodes.

This game is no gimme. We should be psyched when the Rams win it.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Adrian worked harder this offseason than he ever has. He's determined to have a historic season. I sure hope we're ready, because I know he will be.
Yeah aging running backs do that and keep getting more muscular and less flexible,IMO a @2K season takes so much out of a back they glide down from then on,he's still an elite back but IMO he's never going to be that 2K guy again

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

On JL55 let me say this: I'm from Columbus Ohio, went to OSU, and wanted the rams to draft my fav player at the time thinking he would be a very good MLB in the NFL. I've met JL a few times and he is a great person, very family oriented and all. I probably know more abt him than most Rams fans do because of all this - I literally have watched every football game he's played in from his freshman yr in college to current times. He seems to struggle more as the yrs go on. I'd say he's a slightly above avg player at MLB. All 3 other division teams have elite MLBs - 9ers have 2. Ogletree is an elite athlete and is much faster than his 40 time suggested at the combine. I feel we would benefit more from having Ogletree at MLB as he could possibly match the play of Willis/Bowman/Washington/Wagoner.
I wouldn't worry too much about Donald on run D, someone, here at ROD, posted a video clip of him, and I wish I had it now, In it he not only sacked the QB but he took the RB down at the same time, two players in ONE tackle!! I think he'll be fine against the Run!:D