The singular moment that shipwrecked the Fisher/Snead regime

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still blame the damn knee brace....too bulky...he's doing fine without one now...

By all accounts he is having a good year in SD
the Chargers are NOT a winning team, and JB is still JB, getting killed by speed and bull rushers....Havenstein is a clear upgrade, and was a great pick....I still wanted the guy outta Penn State to play RT (he's a LT for Tampa)....and Marpet or Jackson for guard....quality...over "finds"...

Last edited:

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The moment may have been when he cut his experiment with a up tempo modern offense short. Instead of staying the course with the young players, he reverted back to the offense he knew. It provided short term results and everyone including myself thought it was the right call. Perhaps he should have just endured the growing pains and maybe we'd have had a modern offense by now. Maybe not, who knows but I can't help but look back at that as the moment our offensive fate as plodding dullards was decided. Couple that reset after just a few games with the injuries to Bradford and there's the catalyst for 32 ranked offense.
I also agree that this was a watershed moment in this regime's history.

Once they committed to the up tempo (from a personnel standpoint), the difficulties in trying to shove those square pegs into what was changed to a round holes set the whole thing back to where we are today.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
I also agree that this was a watershed moment in this regime's history.

Once they committed to the up tempo (from a personnel standpoint), the difficulties in trying to shove those square pegs into what was changed to a round holes set the whole thing back to where we are today.

Part of the problem with the up tempo offense is that Fisher didn't have the right guy to run it, which is his own fault. Had he hired Hue Jackson and thus brought in someone from the Coryell tree, he would have. And he would have had an offense installed that made better use of Bradford's talent (well, pre-ACL anyway) instead of turning him into Captain Checkdown. He would have also had an offense with schematic versatility to implement the power running game. The 80's Redskins and the 90's Cowboys were both teams that relied heavily on power running out of the Coryell offense.

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Part of the problem with the up tempo offense is that Fisher didn't have the right guy to run it, which is his own fault. Had he hired Hue Jackson and thus brought in someone from the Coryell tree, he would have. And he would have had an offense installed that made better use of Bradford's talent (well, pre-ACL anyway) instead of turning him into Captain Checkdown. He would have also had an offense with schematic versatility to implement the power running game. The 80's Redskins and the 90's Cowboys were both teams that relied heavily on power running out of the Coryell offense.
Good point... I always wondered who drew up the plan to go up tempo... I don't believe it was in Schottenheimer's (notwithstanding the old man) history. Might be wrong.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
This has occurred to me as well.
He did good work reclaiming Barksdale. Joe was close to getting run out of the league and played mostly well for the Rams. By all accounts he is having a good year in SD. The irony is I think Barksdale took less money to play in a great offense and win.
After Barksdale it is hard to come up with a list of successes. Barnes has developed over several years and I expect he will be resigned and will be the starting C for the near future at least.

Yep, too few successes and he has not developed anyone of note that he can really hang his hat on, since being with the Rams. His days of bringing up a Harvey Dahl seem to be long gone.

I still blame the damn knee brace....too bulky...he's doing fine without one now...

the Chargers are NOT a winning team, and JB is still JB, getting killed by speed and bull rushers....Havenstein is a clear upgrade, and was a great pick....I still wanted the guy outta Penn State to play RT (he's a LT for Tampa)....and Marpet or Jackson for guard....quality...over "finds"...

I really liked Marpet and Tomlinson in the last draft and was hoping for one of them.

Force16X

anti pedestrian
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Where from any of my comments did you get that?
i misread that post. you were responding to fatbot who showed us how a different draft would have fixed the Oline...........i noticed a lot of defensive players NOT being drafted, thus weakening the defense in order to fix the offense. apologies for the mixup.