The Redskins "name"

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Should the name be changed?

• Yes

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • No

Votes: 23 62.2%
  • Undecided

Votes: 4 10.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Anyone else tired of this debate?

First Obama. Now Costas.

Really?

The nickname of a FOOTBALL TEAM is viewed as a racial slur? Really?

Too bad these protestors and activists don't put their time and money into more meaningful issues.

Overly sensitive America; get over it!

First you take away the Pledge of Allegiance, now we're bickering about a long standing team name?

Its just dumb.

And... I bet the Redskins are pressured into changing it. Woo hoo! I'm glad that makes you sleep better at night.

smh

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
If they change, i would totally change everything, Name, Jersey, Colors....just to piss off the fans and politicians that all seem to be aboard. I would go with the DC Crooks.

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny
As someone who comes from a place where there are several Native Reservations, there is absolutely racism towards Native people from dumb rednecks. Believe me when I tell you absolutely that Redskin is a racial slur.

Sure it's a bit suspect that this 'debate' has waited to erupt some 60 years or so, but I mean, damn. It seems pretty simple to me.

bskrilla

Starter
Warner4Prez said:
As someone who comes from a place where there are several Native Reservations, there is absolutely racism towards Native people from dumb rednecks. Believe me when I tell you absolutely that Redskin is a racial slur.

Sure it's a bit suspect that this 'debate' has waited to erupt some 60 years or so, but I mean, damn. It seems pretty simple to me.

Agreed. It's easy to ignore things like this because they seem insignificant in the grand scheme of things, but it is offensive and there's no reason not to change it. "Tradition" is not a good reason.

iced

No.... and yes i say this as part native american (choctaw/cherokee)

Hate the political correctness of this country.. "African American", "Caucausian"... whatever happened to just fuckin american?

And of course - no one cares what the actual ethnic group cares right? most native americans dont have a problem with it...yet if we really care about them why aren't we valuing their opinions?

If i had a dime for everytime a black friend/person said they hated being called "African american" - hell some countries are confused on why we call nigerians african americans..

RamzFanz

Damnit
CGI_Ram said:
Anyone else tired of this debate?

First Obama. Now Costas.

Really?

The nickname of a FOOTBALL TEAM is viewed as a racial slur? Really?

Too bad these protestors and activists don't put their time and money into more meaningful issues.

Overly sensitive America; get over it!

First you take away the Pledge of Allegiance, now we're bickering about a long standing team name?

Its just dumb.

And... I bet the Redskins are pressured into changing it. Woo hoo! I'm glad that makes you sleep better at night.

smh

While I tend to lean away from PC speech in most every way, I think Costas made a good point in that some of the other teams that have been targeted like the Braves and Chiefs etc are not slurs but are honoring them. Redskins though, is a racial slur. It's the difference between naming a team African Warriors vs African Blackies or Samurais vs Yelowskins.

Like I say, I tend to lean away from PC speech in most every way. I don't use the term Native American because it's false. If we mean indigenous, they aren't, they just migrated first. If we mean born here, than we are all Native Americans after the first generation. It makes no sense. I think Original Americans is far more accurate.

In the end, referring to someone's skin color in a way that is a slur is wrong. Being that they aren't red and the word originated as a slur, I can't support it.

The BEST way to judge a word in my opinion is if I used it and a child of that group came up to me and asked me what I meant, would I be embarrassed. Redskin? Yes, I would be embarrassed.

Stranger

How big is infinity?
Name
Hugh
iced said:

Hate the political correctness of this country.. "African American", "Caucausian"... whatever happened to just fuckin american?

And of course - no one cares what the actual ethnic group cares right? most native americans dont have a problem with it...yet if we really care about them why aren't we valuing their opinions?

If i had a dime for everytime a black friend/person said they hated being called "African american" - hell some countries are confused on why we call nigerians african americans..
we'll change the name of the football team while many of those who live on reservations exist below the poverty line. That's so DC.

iced

Stranger said:
iced said:

Hate the political correctness of this country.. "African American", "Caucausian"... whatever happened to just freakin american?

we'll change the name of the football team while many of those who live on reservations exist below the poverty line. That's so DC.

Typical Media and Gov't... ignoring the REAL important things like poverty, Gov't spying/violating civil rights, etc. in favor for Cyrus twerking and political correctness..

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I'm undecided on this because I'm not a fan of this team nor do I own it. I've never really stopped to think about it much because, to me, it has always been just a nickname of a football team all my life. My Cherokee blood doesn't boil when I hear it uttered so............ but I'm not the sensitive type. My skin is thick and my mind is open to change IF it makes sense. If you take the term "redskin" literally, it would seem an extremely racist term like "blackskin", "yellowskin", "paleskin", or "greenskin" (to piss the Martians off) etc. etc. etc. I agree terms like "African-American" are really stupid and serve no purpose but to divide and set apart people. Do we call white people originally from Africa that now live in America "African-American"? No? but it is a more accurate term to use to describe that person than a black person born in America. Racial slurs only hold power when those they are aimed at let them do so. I think we get too lost in semantics.

bluecoconuts

Legend
Its definitely a racist name. Anyone who says it's not is lying to themselves.

That being said, I don't really care either way. If they change it I won't care. If they don't I won't either.

If I'm being completely honest though, I think that people who are flipping out about a potential change because they're anti PC are a bit silly. Its a good thing for a country to transcend old habits and traditions that aren't tolerated anymore. Why be upset over progress? The N word was once accepted vernacular as well...

If it happens soon it happens soon, if it doesn't it doesn't. It will happen eventually, its more a matter of when. Frankly I don't care when.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Warner4Prez said:

Well I'm in the original Indian nation (Oklahoma) with many tribal groups still intact and have a major say in the political process.

My former and current part time job is @ a high school. The mascot is Redskins.

Here's the logo

redskin9.gif

In my lifetime, I have never seen any tribal group complain about that. Perhaps they have, but nothing has been changed. I don't see why Washington does; it's not demeaning Native Americans. How come no one is trying to force the Chiefs to change their name, or Florida State or the Atlanta Braves?

There's so many more important issues to be butthurt about than a team name.

iced

Angry Ram said:
Warner4Prez said:

Well I'm in the original Indian nation (Oklahoma) with many tribal groups still intact and have a major say in the political process.

Here's the logo

redskin9.gif

In my lifetime, I have never seen any tribal group complain about that. Perhaps they have, but nothing has been changed. I don't see why Washington does; it's not demeaning Native Americans. How come no one is trying to force the Chiefs to change their name, or Florida State or the Atlanta Braves?

Exactly..Hell I could see how Chief could be offensive, just like the term hodgie is to muslims...

A position of Chief is earned, just like completing the muslim pilgrimage to mecca and earning the term Hodgie - a name of respect you earn, not just loosely thrown around.

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Re: The Redskins "name"

iced said:
Angry Ram said:
Warner4Prez said:

Here's the logo

redskin9.gif

Exactly..Hell I could see how Chief could be offensive, just like the term hodgie is to muslims...

A position of Chief is earned, just like completing the muslim pilgrimage to mecca and earning the term Hodgie - a name of you earn, not just loosely thrown around.
It doesn't seem to bother Sam to beat the skins or cheifs

iced

Re: The Redskins

Rabid Ram said:

exactly - my point

Again - if we're really concerned about the Redskin name and how it's offensive to a certain group, leave it up to the group if you value their opinion...By ignoring them, it truly shows they really don't care if they find it offensive or not

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

iced said:
Rabid Ram said:

exactly - my point

Again - if we're really concerned about the Redskin name and how it's offensive to a certain group, leave it up to the group if you value their opinion...By ignoring them, it truly shows they really don't care if they find it offensive or not

It's true. Native Americans are so disenfranchised in this country it's embarrassing. We tiptoe around the issue of how to refer to African-Americans because of the atrocities of slavery hundreds of years ago, yet the pages of history books about MASS GENOCIDE of Native Americans seem to be glanced over. Leaders of the Oneida nation have reached out to Snyder and Company. In my state, several different tribes have banned together to finally get the name Fighting Sioux taken care of, and yet the ND state legislature still wanted to fight over it.
People are trying to voice their opinions, Native and otherwise. Now it's just being chalked up as "liberal-PC-gobbledeegook."

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Some good responses here.

I'm surprised the vote is close.

Perhaps... I'm... wrong about this?? :shock:

iced

Warner4Prez said:
iced said:
Rabid Ram said:

exactly - my point

It's true. Native Americans are so disenfranchised in this country it's embarrassing. We tiptoe around the issue of how to refer to African-Americans because of the atrocities of slavery hundreds of years ago, yet the pages of history books about MASS GENOCIDE of Native Americans seem to be glanced over. Leaders of the Oneida nation have reached out to Snyder and Company. In my state, several different tribes have banned together to finally get the name Fighting Sioux taken care of, and yet the ND state legislature still wanted to fight over it.
People are trying to voice their opinions, Native and otherwise. Now it's just being chalked up as "liberal-PC-gobbledeegook."

interesting - didn't know about the fighting sioux, but then again that does focus on a specific tribe that was notoriously violent.

And actually the majority of Native American's dont find the name offensive - least that's what everyone has been reporting and talking about, yet somehow it's easily dismissed..

That's how disenfranchised they are - their opinion doesn't even matter.

we tiptoe around the issue of how to refer to African-Americans because of the atrocities of slavery hundreds of years ago, yet the pages of history books about MASS GENOCIDE of Native Americans seem to be glanced over.

BTW have you ever heard an indian mention/complain about how they were mistreated in the 1700s? I have sadly heard the complaint from a black person about their heritage - but again this person was pretty uneducated so take it with a grain of salt

lol what's next... is crocodile dundee an "australian american"

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Angry Ram said:
Warner4Prez said:

Here's the logo

redskin9.gif

Those franchises have gotten heat about their names before. Florida State went through it about a decade ago but the Seminole tribe stood up and said they didn't want anything changed. They were proud Florida State was using the Seminole name. The Atlanta Braves went through this too, especially with their logos over the years. They changed the logo several times and ended up bringing the controversial one back. I remember reading years ago about the Chiefs also. Here in Georgia, a D2 school, West Georgia Braves, changed their name in response to objections. They changed their name to the Wolves, no word from PETA as of yet. :sly:

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Ramhusker said:
Here in Georgia, a D2 school, West Georgia Braves, changed their name in response to objections. They changed their name to the Wolves, no word from PETA as of yet. :sly:

:rofl:

RamzFanz

Damnit
The litmus test is pretty simple. The next time you see one, walk up to them and call them a redskin. If you wouldn't do that, then deep down you probably know it's a slur.

Status
Not open for further replies.