PREGAME The Ravens up next - Pregame Thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

oldnotdead

Legend
The Ravens pose another test for the Rams as they not only have a good defense but a much better offense. Jackson's mobility is a major concern as the Rams struggle against mobile QBs. Jackson can and does play from the pocket. Early in his career Jackson was strictly an RPO QB but that has been changing over the years.

Defensively, the Ravens are well balanced against the run and pass. That said they can be run against so McVay's commitment to the run will be tested. Williams is the kind of RB that can give the Ravens trouble. The Rams must capitalize on scoring opportunities, i.e. take the points when you can and do not chase them. Stafford must play a clean game, i.e. no turnovers. He's good enough to beat the Raven defense if the Rams can also run the ball. A balanced offense can beat the Ravens.

Defensively, for the Rams, the key will be to play contain. This is where Donald and Turner can be the key. Play contain with the edges and pressure Jackson up the middle while containing him on the edges. Force Jackson to make quick decisions and play that way from the pocket. That is his weakness. Morris can't play soft. Jackson will eat up soft schemes.

Offensively the Ravens are very similar to the Rams in terms of tendencies and effectiveness. They run and pass slightly better than the Rams but it's hard to tell considering the competition they have played, i.e. their schedule has been far softer. I think the Rams will be a real test for them as well. The Rams will play with confidence, and the Ram offense if they can be balanced will be a challenge for their defense.

Justin Madubike is their DE. His game is power more than speed. That should play to Jackson's strength where he struggles with speed. Clowney plays opposite edge, i.e. on the strongside. He offers both power and speed and will be a challenge for Havenstein if not given a chip assist. If Puka can play and Kupp continues to improve his health I like the Ram's matchup with the Raven defense. If there is going to be a mismatch it will be their offense against the Ram D.

The Raven offense is much better than the Brown offense. I don't see them turning the ball over or other gifts. IMO the game will be won or lost on defense for the Rams. The Rams will probably have to score 35 pts to have a chance to win. I'm anticipating an outright shootout offensive game.

The bottom line is the Rams can win if they can run well enough to control the TOP to limit the Raven's scoring opportunities, so yeah the Rams definitely have a chance in this game. If the Rams can play the Niners tough then this is a similar type of game.

IMO if the Rams can beat the Ravens they have a real shot to finish 10-7 or even run the table and finish 11-6. The two biggest challenges remaining on the schedule are the Ravens and Niners. This season has gotten really interesting!

Ellard80

Legend
The Ravens D is what scares me the most.

Their rush defense has shown more weakness - their pass rush and coverage is vicious.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Also want to add a fuck you to the nfl for playing yet another team off their bye.
Only 2 teams in NFL playing more than 2x against teams coming off the bye. The Rams and 49ers both facing 4 teams coming off the bye, but the 49ers at least were on the bye once themselves.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Only 2 teams in NFL playing more than 2x against teams coming off the bye. The Rams and 49ers both facing 4 teams coming off the bye, but the 49ers at least were on the bye once themselves.
The Rams will have the Steelers, Cowboys, Ravens, and Commodes coming off of their bye weeks, with Pittsburgh and Dallas back-to-back in Weeks 7-8, and Baltimore, Washington back-to-back in Weeks 14-15. None of San Francisco's four such games are back-to-back. Both of L.A.'s are.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
They’re losing to the Ravens. It’s basically a schedule loss at this point.
That’s why games like the Steelers, Bengals and, to a lesser extent, Packers, are so infuriating to me.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
They’re losing to the Ravens. It’s basically a schedule loss at this point.
That’s why games like the Steelers, Bengals and, to a lesser extent, Packers, are so infuriating to me.
The Rams are beating the Ravens. The coin has no memory. We are the better team of late.

jap

Legend
 Protect Matthew; provide daylight for Kyren, and Sean & Matthew will figure out ways to win. The D has to hold the fort against the Ravens' I, but that is given.

Kupped

Legend
Name
Kupped
I appreciate the confidence and, of course, will be cheering the Rams on.

But that’s the best team in the AFC right now and are a bad matchup for the Rams… especially Rams Dline.

They’re coming off a bye, healthy, and with home field advantage in front of them.

But… a win over them would be an incredible statement!

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Through 12 games, the Ravens are the 12th best team in league history in DVOA (again, just through 12 games).

Which makes sense....they've rarely trailed this season. They're at home and coming off a bye.

I know we would never do this, but I'd almost rather just sit Stafford/Kupp/Puka/Kyren for this game since they've all had injuries this season. Our path to the playoffs is winning the next three after the Ravens game, and by Stafford getting hurt against Dallas and missing the Green Bay game, we basically got two losses just out of that game.

Alaskan Ram

Last Frontier Member
Through 12 games, the Ravens are the 12th best team in league history in DVOA (again, just through 12 games).
But through 12 games, the Rams are the best team in league history in DVWR (Defense-adjusted Value With Rookies).

We have a good team, getting hot at the right time.

I feel sorry for the Ravens. They'll be going 6 weeks without a win with the Bye, Rams, Jags, 9ers, Dolphins on this brutal stretch of schedule coming up. They won't pick up another win until Steelers at end of regular season.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Which makes sense....they've rarely trailed this season. They're at home and coming off a bye.

I know we would never do this, but I'd almost rather just sit Stafford/Kupp/Puka/Kyren for this game since they've all had injuries this season. Our path to the playoffs is winning the next three after the Ravens game, and by Stafford getting hurt against Dallas and missing the Green Bay game, we basically got two losses just out of that game.
Totally disagree.

Looking at the the three "easy" games and counting on a sweep of them and forfeiting the Ravens and 49ers game means most likely missing the playoffs. There are always surprises in that a team beats teams that it shouldn't and could lose to teams that we should beat. Make the Ravens earn a win by trying to beat their asses. If we try and fail, I can live with that.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
Would be nice to have long sustained drives ending in points to keep their offense on the sideline and out of rhythm.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
Whatever happens yesterday's win does give them more margin for error. They can lose to the Ravens and still make the playoffs. Although Green Bay's unexpected win does put a monkey wrench in the standings. They're actually playing pretty well and so is Jordan Love. Could be our only chance is to beat out the Vikings and Seahawks. Vikings have the better conference record. Packers have head to head.

jap

Legend
 If you need a job done right, it is best to do it your own self. We will take care of the Cheeseheads and anyone else, if necessary, in the playoffs. The Battering Ram Avalanche is just getting started.