The NFL Free Agency thread

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ram65

Legend
but 14 million? I say "no way"

I don't think Jenks is in the Patrick Peterson class. Peterson's contract is weird in that it was an extension so it seems like he got bonus money in 2014 when he was on his first contract. This and the 2015 bonus money make the deal much less per year if you average it over 7 years with the last two years of his rookie contract. At least thats the way I'm reading it.

http://overthecap.com/player/patrick-peterson/417/

I can see a 5 year deal in the 55 to even 62 Million range. That would be in the 11-12 Million range. I don't think Jenks play on the field shows he is top 5 CB. He is solid and has stayed relatively healthy. Still an over pay that the Rams can stay away from.

StealYoGurley

Pro Bowler
TE market is set with Dwayne Allen's 4 year 29.4 million dollar. That is Jared Cook money for a guy who had 100 receiving yards last year and hasn't had more than 500 yards receiving since his rookie year. Yikes.

I really wanted Ladarius Green, but if his market is 7 million a year I don't think the Rams will go down that expensive FA TE route again.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Sounding more and more like Lynch wont be a first round pick. Most think that he is at least two years away from starting. That is a long time for a first round QB. And there is always a ton of pressure for teams to play their first round QBs right away.

Calling BS. Lynch will be a first round pick. QBs are in demand and you can't teach 6'7" 245 with a strong arm, mobility, and impressive college production.
I just hope we don't grab him at 15, yes jrry he has the unteachables Height and Arm strength but when I break him down I see a big project, in fact I like Cook as the number 3 QB in this class and would grab him in the 2nd if he is there and we are looking to draft a QB with Goff and Wentz gone.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I just hope we don't grab him at 15, yes jrry he has the unteachables Height and Arm strength but when I break him down I see a big project, in fact I like Cook as the number 3 QB in this class and would grab him in the 2nd if he is there and we are looking to draft a QB with Goff and Wentz gone.

I hope we do grab him. I don't think he's as big of a project as many are claiming...and even if he is, he's worth waiting on.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
Eric Dickerson was saying the other day that even though they might get bigger contracts else where , they still won't make as much money as they would in LA.

LA just has so many extra perks you just can't get anywhere else
LA also costs more than anywhere else in taxes and cost of living.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
I hope we do grab him. I don't think he's as big of a project as many are claiming...and even if he is, he's worth waiting on.
Im with you, I'd rather draft Lynch than Cook or anyone else not named Goff or Wentz.

tahoe

Pro Bowler
And there are a lot more endorsement opportunities than anywhere else.
Typically only skill position players get the endorsements, hows that going to help the other players? Gurley is going to make a killing in endorsements though.

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Typically only skill position players get the endorsements, hows that going to help the other players? Gurley is going to make a killing in endorsements though.
Gurley and Donald get the big national deals and larger local deals. The rest get the local/regional deals.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
TE market is set with Dwayne Allen's 4 year 29.4 million dollar. That is Jared Cook money for a guy who had 100 receiving yards last year and hasn't had more than 500 yards receiving since his rookie year. Yikes.

I really wanted Ladarius Green, but if his market is 7 million a year I don't think the Rams will go down that expensive FA TE route again.
Allen was one of my few Rams targets in FA. Bummer.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Allen was one of my few Rams targets in FA. Bummer.

He wasn't a fit anyway IMO. Just another type we already have, guys who can block but aren't a real factor in the passing game.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He wasn't a fit anyway IMO. Just another type we already have, guys who can block but aren't a real factor in the passing game.

Just because the Colts didn't use him that way doesn't mean he can't do it. They wanted him to block because their oline is crap. I bet they let fleener walk and then we'll see what allen is all about.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

McGwire was before my time but looking at that video, he looks heavy-footed with an elongated release. One of Lynch's biggest strengths is his feet. He has tremendously light and quick feet for a guy his size. He's very mobile. And he has a much quicker release. McGwire has that Byron Leftwich windmill. Holds the ball too low and then drops it down when he draws back which exacerbates the problem.

IMO, Lynch is more like Blake Bortles than he is McGwire. And you know what...he might not be ready to play as a rookie. He might struggle if forced to play. But I'll take my chances because I think he can be a franchise QB if developed properly.

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I've said - repeatedly - that I'm against a huge trade up for a QB. The Rams are just not in a position to move up to the top of the draft. However, I could see a trade up a bit to grab Lynch. I think he's very promising, and I also think that even if he mostly sits his rookie season it would be good for the Rams to get a legit QB of the future. I could see the Rams trading #15 and either #43 or #45 to move up a bit for Lynch, and get a mid-round pick back also, so the Rams end up with the same number of picks at least. That way the QB position would hopefully be solved for years, without crippling future drafts for someone who isn't a sure thing.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
He's actually a pretty underrated receiving threat. Like a Kendricks he can do everything but was a bit underused with Fleener in there. Dude had 8 TD's in '14.

Anyway, that's way too much to pay for another Kendricks :whistle:

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
I've said - repeatedly - that I'm against a huge trade up for a QB. The Rams are just not in a position to move up to the top of the draft. However, I could see a trade up a bit to grab Lynch. I think he's very promising, and I also think that even if he mostly sits his rookie season it would be good for the Rams to get a legit QB of the future. I could see the Rams trading #15 and either #43 or #45 to move up a bit for Lynch, and get a mid-round pick back also, so the Rams end up with the same number of picks at least. That way the QB position would hopefully be solved for years, without crippling future drafts for someone who isn't a sure thing.
I agree that we need a QB BADLY but moving up and giving up resources for a 2016 no show doesn't seem to be the luxury of a sub .500 team. I hope we some how figure this out without giving up anything and not using our 1 for a project. Upside and project are just pretty words for risky.

IowaRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Iowa
There is like 19 million people living in the LA area, they seem to manage with the higher taxes

But as far as skilled positions go , I agree with you , if your a 3rd string Fullback playing on a one year contract at league minimum , I can see where you might want to weigh the pros and cons of living in LA

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree that we need a QB BADLY but moving up and giving up resources for a 2016 no show doesn't seem to be the luxury of a sub .500 team. I hope we some how figure this out without giving up anything and not using our 1 for a project. Upside and project are just pretty words for risky.

I just don't see Lynch making it to #15 - some team will trade in front of the Rams. So if the Rams want Lynch, they will need to move up. Now, it's possible they are down on him. It's possible that the Rams are convinced that Mannion takes a big step forward this year. But barring a very bad year, the Rams will have to trade up at some point otherwise to get a good QB prospect. I don't like it, but it's the reality of the NFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.