The dumbest pick in the draft?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
People make bad decisions. Which also explains why the Eagles gave Bradford $17.5 million a year. ;)

Aguayo isn't the average kicker. My point is that he's not enough of an upgrade on the average kicker to be worth the price that was paid.
As stupid as extending Foles?:hiding:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They had to have felt another team was going after him.

Every year, we see players that are considered a reach go too early. Only later to find out that other teams were ready to take them.

As far as Aguayo, the only problem I have with taking him in the 2nd, was trading 2 middle end picks to move up to get him. That, even for me, seems a bit much.

A bit, hypocritical, I know.

Doesn't make it a good pick for me. Same was said about Brian Quick.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Kickers are undervalued by every team but the Patriots. As to whether Aguayo should have went in round 2, I would not have taken him there but he was still a better pick there than Dallas rolling the dice on a LB with nerve damage in his knee.

Half the round 2 picks won't stick in the NFL. It's whatever IMO. Dumbest pick in the draft in my opinion was Nkemdiche, who is going to effin tank as soon as he gets paid.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
But...

The Polish Powder Keg

sexy-sebastian-janikowski.png

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I disagree. You could say the same thing about us at #10 last year. Gurley was worth it. Zeke is worth it.

A few big differences. There is a huge difference of course between #4 and #10 in the draft. #4, especially in a year where two QBs are picked at the top, means you can get one of the top 2 position players in the draft. FWIW, the draft charts have the value difference between the two spots be a high 2nd rounder.

Second, the Cowboys had signed one good RB the year before, AND had signed another good guy earlier this offseason. The Rams had some guys, but not as good as what the Cowboys have already.

Third, while there are always holes - the Cowboys have a bunch of holes on one side of the ball. And while depth is good, there are better places for the Cowboys to have put their resources than a third RB, even if he ends up #1. Even with their starter getting injured in week 5, they still finished 9th in the league in rushing, after all

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
Wouldn't have traded up for him. If you're going for a kicker that high, I would want him to show some more consistent kicking from greater range.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think the Raiders trading up to get Connor Cook when a) they are set with Carr and b) Cook was being passed by everyone, just makes me scratch my hed

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A few big differences. There is a huge difference of course between #4 and #10 in the draft. #4, especially in a year where two QBs are picked at the top, means you can get one of the top 2 position players in the draft. FWIW, the draft charts have the value difference between the two spots be a high 2nd rounder.

Second, the Cowboys had signed one good RB the year before, AND had signed another good guy earlier this offseason. The Rams had some guys, but not as good as what the Cowboys have already.

Third, while there are always holes - the Cowboys have a bunch of holes on one side of the ball. And while depth is good, there are better places for the Cowboys to have put their resources than a third RB, even if he ends up #1. Even with their starter getting injured in week 5, they still finished 9th in the league in rushing, after all

McFadden isn't a good HB. And Redskins fans felt like Morris was nearing the end. Said he lacked explosiveness in 2015.

Todd Gurley would have been a smart pick no matter where we took him (aside from #1 and #2 because QBs).

Cowboys do have holes on the defensive side...but so what...you take the BVA. And there's certainly an argument that's Zeke. Especially considering how good Zeke is on passing downs.(outstanding block and pass-catcher)

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame
I think the Raiders trading up to get Connor Cook when a) they are set with Carr and b) Cook was being passed by everyone, just makes me scratch my hed

I can see where they were going with it though. They do need a backup and Cook was seen as the most talented QB left. Has tools to develop into a good QB and if he shows in preseason or spot duty, you could get a real nice return on investmemt.

Don't think it will work out that way, but I understand the reasoning.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Their GM worked under Ted Thompson. The Packers draft QBs often. I actually love the strategy. Never know when it'll pan out. I think Cook was a steal at that point. And if he impresses on Sundays, they'll be able to flip him for a pick. Or if Carr goes down, they won't be screwed over.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Their GM worked under Ted Thompson. The Packers draft QBs often. I actually love the strategy. Never know when it'll pan out. I think Cook was a steal at that point. And if he impresses on Sundays, they'll be able to flip him for a pick. Or if Carr goes down, they won't be screwed over.
When teams like the Packers and Patriots draft QB with solid QB in place its no issue. They have playoff rosters and can afford to float a pick. The Raiders? They need all the help they can get. And to trade up for him when the rest of the league passed him up?
The Raiders karma is so bad that they just karma'd themselves in to Carr getting hurt and Cook having to play
When exactly was the last time one of these teams was able to "flip" one of these QB draftees in to a better pick then what he was drafted?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I can see where they were going with it though. They do need a backup and Cook was seen as the most talented QB left. Has tools to develop into a good QB and if he shows in preseason or spot duty, you could get a real nice return on investmemt.

Don't think it will work out that way, but I understand the reasoning.
Heck, Rams fans are saying we wasted a 4th rounder on Mannion who was drafted BEFORE we got our guy.
Ah the Raiders....

RAMpage28

Hall of Fame

It comes from a philosophy of Ron Wolf. He always saw value in getting at least one QB a year in the draft because you never know when you hit, but if you hit on the most important position in football it's always a good deal. You either got an answer to your problem or the answer to someone else's and that's a huge deal either way.

This has obviously influenced other packer front office men over the years.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
So McFadden will get injured at some point this coming season, based on his history in the league. You're stuck with Morris and who? Morris is a workhorse, but lacks the home run speed. Elliott was the best pick for Dallas, imo.

You know how you keep Romo healthy? Let him hand the ball of to a triple threat running attack. Play action to Dez. They already have the best offensive line in football! Might as well play to their strengths.
So you are going to argue one side of that equation.......ok....let's.........Because their defense can't stop anyone they won't be able to use their running game anyway (because they're always behind....) ......so once again. It points out the desire to make a splash went beyond their desire to fix what was broken. You haven't touched.....(and probably won't.....) what the cowboys could be w/ a better defense.....you've simply rallied behind the modern mindset of fantasy conquers all............ which does nothing for the team, which is what the draft is designed to be about.

Wolfecola

Wubba Lubba Dub Dub
So you are going to argue one side of that equation.......ok....let's.........Because their defense can't stop anyone they won't be able to use their running game anyway (because they're always behind....) ......so once again. It points out the desire to make a splash went beyond their desire to fix what was broken. You haven't touched.....(and probably won't.....) what the cowboys could be w/ a better defense.....you've simply rallied behind the modern mindset of fantasy conquers all............ which does nothing for the team, which is what the draft is designed to be about.

A player like Elliott helps the Cowboys more than a single defensive back would; a DB can only do so much. Ramsey went to the perfect team imo; Jaguars have an established front seven pretty much.

I love the Todd-father, but imo Elliott is a much more complete back than Gurley. Dude will make his money on third down in this league-- hold me to that.

bomebadeeda

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bome
How does he help them beyond their strength. Does he play defense? Does he rush the passer? Does he tackle ball carriers?. No.....he pretty much does what the others guys did......but maybe a bit better.......But.... their defense still gives up 30 some odd points a game.
Wow.....I'd say you won me over w/ that bit a brillance...............:deadhorse:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When teams like the Packers and Patriots draft QB with solid QB in place its no issue. They have playoff rosters and can afford to float a pick. The Raiders? They need all the help they can get. And to trade up for him when the rest of the league passed him up?
The Raiders karma is so bad that they just karma'd themselves in to Carr getting hurt and Cook having to play
When exactly was the last time one of these teams was able to "flip" one of these QB draftees in to a better pick then what he was drafted?

Andy Reid did it a number of times. The Packers did it a number of times in the 90s. Chargers did it with Whitehurst. Packers did it with Flynn. Falcons did it with Schaub. New England did it with Cassel. I'm sure there are more that I'm not remembering off the top of my head.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
How does he help them beyond their strength. Does he play defense? Does he rush the passer? Does he tackle ball carriers?. No.....he pretty much does what the others guys did......but maybe a bit better.......But.... their defense still gives up 30 some odd points a game.
Wow.....I'd say you won me over w/ that bit a brillance...............:deadhorse:

Dallas's defense actually ranked 16th last year in PPG Allowed at 23.4.

I actually think there's a good argument that Elliot has a greater short term impact than Ramsey on the Cowboys.

Cowboys defense is going to be problematic with or without Ramsey. Might as well make the offense as great as possible.