The Direction This Team is Headed Offensively

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramfreak

We're turning the corner and seeing the Rams become more experienced at the skill positions and tougher in the trenches on offense. I'm a firm believer that the selection of Robinson instead of Watkins was the right thing to do (Although I loved the idea of having Watkins and Tavon). The 2nd key (1st key below) to whether we're playoff bound is the health of Jake Long and he stability of the Oline. Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale is pretty damn good. It appeared that Stacy had more running room than maybe SJ39 ever had. Last year was the first time in many years that we actually saw the running game have an impact on the outcome of games. I watched a lot of Auburn games last year because of the speed and excitement they had on offense. Tre Mason has the vision and quickness reminiscent of LT. I absolutely loved this pick in the 3rd round. I must have done 100 mock drafts and he kept showing up in the 3rd round in our. One thing came to mind however when we selected Mason. Niners went big and physical with Carlos Hyde, and we went 2 picks in a row with a player who is 5'8". Niners also stockpiled with 2 high picks on olineman. Looking back, it would have been nice to use 1 of the 4 DB picks on an Olineman. Obviously in the 4th round we don't know what we're taking later in the draft but OT Cameron Flemming of Stanford was available in the 4th. I was surprised he wasn't taken sooner.
I like our WR core a lot with another year of experience. Cook, Kendrick's, Britt, Quick gives us good size and speed in the red zone. If the light turns on for Brian Quick we become dynamic on offense. Tavon and Givens give us home run threats and the wildcard of this group is Stedman Bailey. Stedman can be Isaac Bruce. There are plenty of weapons with experience that should open things up for Bradford.
Make no mistake about it. Bradford is the 1st key to us getting into the playoffs now that the pieces are in place. Not to mention a sick defense being installed to create more opportunities.
My honest assessment of Bradford has always been from this standpoint. Is he smart enough on his pre snap reads to know what defenses are doing to him so that he can make his reads to make the others around him better? Or is he a guy who needs all the big toys to create the physical mismatches to make it happen? When I look at last season I see,

Week 1- 13pts scored going into the 4th quarter. That's 1 TD. Bradford throws a pick 6
Week 2- 10pts scored going into the 4th quarter. That's 1 TD. Bradford throws a pick 6
Week 3- 7pts scored the entire game.
Week 4- 3pts scored going into 4th quarter. 11pts the entire game
Week 5 and 6 we tore up 2 of the worst 3 teams in the league. Hence the #1 and #3 picks with Houston and the Jags respectively.
Week 7- 10pts with a defensive safety going into the 4th quarter when Bradford got injured. Bradford throws a pick 6 on the first drive.

What's glaring to me are the points this offense was generating going into the 4th quarter. I would have to look further to know whether the 4th quarter was against prevent defenses and that's why stats were compiled? We did win game 1. Were the performances vs two of the worst teams help inflate the stats?
Perhaps the time off Bradford had and watching from the sidelines helped Bradford see things from a different perspective. All I know this season will tell us a lot. Can he stay healthy and does he have a better grasp of defenses. Let's hope so.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I'm not concerned with Bradford's game...other than he needs to be more aggressive at times.

As far as his health goes it would be nice if he could avoid another freak injury like last season.
The high ankle sprain in 2011 can be chalked up to taking a beating behind a shitty OLine in an offense that was a disaster to begin with. (sacked 36 times in 10 gms)
The shoulder hasn't been an issue since the surgery like what...6 years ago?
Bradford isn't a fragile football player, but he does need to play another full season like he did in '10 and '12 just to silence the critics who act like he's been injured and missed the majority of games his entire career.

When is garbage time? Take the Atlanta game, we're down 24-3, Sam brings us back into it, 1:58 left with 1 time out down 7 Atlanta convert a 3rd down, if they don't we get the ball back in good field position with 1:50 left, does the success or lack of by our D on that 3rd down determine the relevance of the 21 points our O put up in the second half?

Just something I've been pondering.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
We're turning the corner and seeing the Rams become more experienced at the skill positions and tougher in the trenches on offense. I'm a firm believer that the selection of Robinson instead of Watkins was the right thing to do (Although I loved the idea of having Watkins and Tavon). The 2nd key (1st key below) to whether we're playoff bound is the health of Jake Long and he stability of the Oline. Long, Robinson, Wells, Saffold, Barksdale is pretty damn good. It appeared that Stacy had more running room than maybe SJ39 ever had. Last year was the first time in many years that we actually saw the running game have an impact on the outcome of games. I watched a lot of Auburn games last year because of the speed and excitement they had on offense. Tre Mason has the vision and quickness reminiscent of LT. I absolutely loved this pick in the 3rd round. I must have done 100 mock drafts and he kept showing up in the 3rd round in our. One thing came to mind however when we selected Mason. Niners went big and physical with Carlos Hyde, and we went 2 picks in a row with a player who is 5'8". Niners also stockpiled with 2 high picks on olineman. Looking back, it would have been nice to use 1 of the 4 DB picks on an Olineman. Obviously in the 4th round we don't know what we're taking later in the draft but OT Cameron Flemming of Stanford was available in the 4th. I was surprised he wasn't taken sooner.
I like our WR core a lot with another year of experience. Cook, Kendrick's, Britt, Quick gives us good size and speed in the red zone. If the light turns on for Brian Quick we become dynamic on offense. Tavon and Givens give us home run threats and the wildcard of this group is Stedman Bailey. Stedman can be Isaac Bruce. There are plenty of weapons with experience that should open things up for Bradford.
Make no mistake about it. Bradford is the 1st key to us getting into the playoffs now that the pieces are in place. Not to mention a sick defense being installed to create more opportunities.
My honest assessment of Bradford has always been from this standpoint. Is he smart enough on his pre snap reads to know what defenses are doing to him so that he can make his reads to make the others around him better? Or is he a guy who needs all the big toys to create the physical mismatches to make it happen? When I look at last season I see,

Week 1- 13pts scored going into the 4th quarter. That's 1 TD. Bradford throws a pick 6
Week 2- 10pts scored going into the 4th quarter. That's 1 TD. Bradford throws a pick 6
Week 5 and 6 we tore up 2 of the worst 3 teams in the league. Hence the #1 and #3 picks with Houston and the Jags respectively.
Week 7- 10pts with a defensive safety going into the 4th quarter when Bradford got injured. Bradford throws a pick 6 on the first drive.

What's glaring to me are the points this offense was generating going into the 4th quarter. I would have to look further to know whether the 4th quarter was against prevent defenses and that's why stats were compiled? We did win game 1. Were the performances vs two of the worst teams help inflate the stats?
Perhaps the time off Bradford had and watching from the sidelines helped Bradford see things from a different perspective. All I know this season will tell us a lot. Can he stay healthy and does he have a better grasp of defenses. Let's hope so.

I dunno man. I'm not sold that you aren't a Bradford basher. Looking at your recent activity, you list Shaun Hill as the best off season acquisition, and brought up Bradford's ACL in the Britt thread and followed that up with "Thank God we have Shaun Hill". Also the blatant tags on the end of weeks 1 and 2 in this post with the Bradford throws a pick 6, when you can't really place those on him as they were fluke plays. Sure, they show up on the stat sheet, but I don't fault him for those.

You can't really compare the when Clemens was playing to when Bradford played because of the vast differences in the offenses ran. Week 2, Schotty's scheme was shut down until garbage time, when the receivers got some cushion to catch the short routes. Bradford was on course for his best game of the season before he went down in week 7. Then we settle in to the ground and pound with Clemens, and the rest is history. We found a groove, and that happened to be without Bradford.

I can give you the benefit of the doubt if you're willing to convince me that you were being facetious with the Shaun Hill comments.

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
My honest assessment of Bradford has always been from this standpoint. Is he smart enough on his pre snap reads to know what defenses are doing to him so that he can make his reads to make the others around him better? Or is he a guy who needs all the big toys to create the physical mismatches to make it happen?

Just some points on your assessment:
Bradford is clearly smart enough to know what defenses are doing to him to make his reads. You don't think you take your team to the National Championship game, win the Heisman, become the 1st Pick in the Draft as a QB, and win ROTY, if you don't have some idea what you are doing in the pocket. There is lots of game tape on him to prove that point. But even if that is in debate -- whether or not he can read defenses -- not quite sure how this idea of "making others around him better" has to be thrown into the equation -- it's like it's not good enough he can read defenses we've got to throw another hurdle in the way. I just don't know if Kellen Clemens made Chris Givens better or worse last season? Just not sure how to quantify that when talking about Bradford's ability to read defenses and win games.

Another thing I'm unsure about is what you mean by needing 'big toys' to create the physical mismatches to make it happen. You refer to the 49ers with Carlos Hyde pick and the 2 O-linemen they picked up - but again, the Rams have Cunningham and Stacy, plus two dynamic guys in 2014 3rd pick Mason and Pead. I think every QB in the league needs guys that can create physical mismatches - i mean how else do you complete a pass or make a nice run? You need guys in a team game to create those opportunities. I just don't get why Bradford, in your assessment, has to compete with the FO of not only the Rams but the hated 49ers to show that he's a good quarterback. And every franchise in the NFL is looking to add some "big toys" to their offense. I mean what did Carolina do with the Benjamin pick.

And like the Rams for example. I mean Greg Robinson is one BIG TOY for our offense.

I don't know, man, but your assessment is sort of all over the place.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
I refuse to believe that a Head Coach with Fisher's resume would bank his team's success AND his legacy on a QB that "can't read defenses."
It's simply preposterous.

I refuse to believe that a Head Coach with Fisher's resume would bank his team's success AND his legacy on a QB that "can't read defenses."
It's simply preposterous.

What you've got to appreciate is that Fisher is lying to us and Sam won't actually be healthy next season, so he's actually betting on Hill.

RFIP

Obviously this mess is Sam's fault. I mean how could any QB not be headed to the HOF playing with the collection of receivers Sam has had (and still DOES have)!?

So the bashers have arrived at the ROD board at last huh?

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom

As far as Bradford's smarts, I've never had any concern over that.
He has the talent too IMHO.
My ONLY concern with Sam is has he become 'shell-shocked' (battered QB syndrome etc.) or not?
I don't believe he has, we'll know for sure soon.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
To give my take on the thread title i think this offense is headed to where Seattle is now...except we'll have better WR's, better OLine, a better QB and more longevity having youth all over the roster.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Obviously this mess is Sam's fault. I mean how could any QB not be headed to the HOF playing with the collection of receivers Sam has had (and still DOES have)!?

Why are you offended by QB bashing, when you JUST got done bashing the receivers?

Between the two of you, I'm to understand we should have about 9 yards of total offense this year.

8.gif

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
When is garbage time? Take the Atlanta game, we're down 24-3, Sam brings us back into it, 1:58 left with 1 time out down 7 Atlanta convert a 3rd down, if they don't we get the ball back in good field position with 1:50 left, does the success or lack of by our D on that 3rd down determine the relevance of the 21 points our O put up in the second half?

Just something I've been pondering.
One of my pet peeves this year is people trying to claim the Atlanta game as "garbage time". If the defense makes ONE MORE STOP, we are right in that game.

Of course, another argument I saw used was that Bradford supposedly "stole" touchdowns from the running offense... so all the basher arguments kind of blur together into a sea of nonsense after a while.

lockdnram21

Legend

says the lead basher of our WR. Since we didnt draft a receiver it seems like every post u make is about downing our receivers

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

Haven't you spent months reminding everyone what a good year Bradford was on track to have had he stayed healthy........and you continue to slam the guys who were catching the ball.

I think that's intellectually dishonest.

BuffaloRam

Pro Bowler
Updated O Line + Revamped Running Game + Healthy Bradford = A pretty sweet Offense this year

Ramfreak

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I dunno man. I'm not sold that you aren't a Bradford basher. Looking at your recent activity, you list Shaun Hill as the best off season acquisition, and brought up Bradford's ACL in the Britt thread and followed that up with "Thank God we have Shaun Hill". Also the blatant tags on the end of weeks 1 and 2 in this post with the Bradford throws a pick 6, when you can't really place those on him as they were fluke plays. Sure, they show up on the stat sheet, but I don't fault him for those.

You can't really compare the when Clemens was playing to when Bradford played because of the vast differences in the offenses ran. Week 2, Schotty's scheme was shut down until garbage time, when the receivers got some cushion to catch the short routes. Bradford was on course for his best game of the season before he went down in week 7. Then we settle in to the ground and pound with Clemens, and the rest is history. We found a groove, and that happened to be without Bradford.

I can give you the benefit of the doubt if you're willing to convince me that you were being facetious with the Shaun Hill comments.
Chris, thanks for the reply. The Shaun Hill comment was all humor bro. I love our first 4 picks of the draft and our new DC. I'm stoked on Britt too. If Britt's head is right, we might have our #1.
As far as Bradford bashing. I wore his jersey to the draft. I'm a supporter of his. I want our QB to step it up in year 5. This entire franchise is depending on him. He will be successful if he improves his pre snap reads and learns to buy time in the pocket. Clemons was terrific in my opinion at extending plays. Bradford has to make it more routine to maneuver in the pocket. Watch tape on Brady, both Mannings, Bree's, Rodgers, Big Ben and Luck. It's part of their routine to maneuver.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ramfreak

Just some points on your assessment:
Bradford is clearly smart enough to know what defenses are doing to him to make his reads. You don't think you take your team to the National Championship game, win the Heisman, become the 1st Pick in the Draft as a QB, and win ROTY, if you don't have some idea what you are doing in the pocket. There is lots of game tape on him to prove that point. But even if that is in debate -- whether or not he can read defenses -- not quite sure how this idea of "making others around him better" has to be thrown into the equation -- it's like it's not good enough he can read defenses we've got to throw another hurdle in the way. I just don't know if Kellen Clemens made Chris Givens better or worse last season? Just not sure how to quantify that when talking about Bradford's ability to read defenses and win games.

Another thing I'm unsure about is what you mean by needing 'big toys' to create the physical mismatches to make it happen. You refer to the 49ers with Carlos Hyde pick and the 2 O-linemen they picked up - but again, the Rams have Cunningham and Stacy, plus two dynamic guys in 2014 3rd pick Mason and Pead. I think every QB in the league needs guys that can create physical mismatches - i mean how else do you complete a pass or make a nice run? You need guys in a team game to create those opportunities. I just don't get why Bradford, in your assessment, has to compete with the FO of not only the Rams but the hated 49ers to show that he's a good quarterback. And every franchise in the NFL is looking to add some "big toys" to their offense. I mean what did Carolina do with the Benjamin pick.

And like the Rams for example. I mean Greg Robinson is one BIG TOY for our offense.

I don't know, man, but your assessment is sort of all over the place.

Dieter, thanks for your reply. I don't think my assessment is all over the place. Bradford has to start winning. We were able to make a lot of excuses that he didn't have this or that. The weapons are there on offense. The defense has a chance to be a top 5 D. if they stay healthy. I can't even imagine what Aaron Donald might turn into and what that means for the other 1st round Dlineman we have. Fisher drafted 4 very good DBs in my opinion that will hit and tackle. TJ McDonald could be a Pro Bowler. Jenkins and Johnson are in their 3rd season so we have experienced CB's. We have a terrific Kicker and Punter. It's time!

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
Dieter, thanks for your reply. I don't think my assessment is all over the place. Bradford has to start winning. We were able to make a lot of excuses that he didn't have this or that. The weapons are there on offense. The defense has a chance to be a top 5 D. if they stay healthy. I can't even imagine what Aaron Donald might turn into and what that means for the other 1st round Dlineman we have. Fisher drafted 4 very good DBs in my opinion that will hit and tackle. TJ McDonald could be a Pro Bowler. Jenkins and Johnson are in their 3rd season so we have experienced CB's. We have a terrific Kicker and Punter. It's time!

so basically you just want Bradford to show his war face
i'm down

warface.jpg

Ramfreak

We're all dying for a postseason game