The CB battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RAM's-NWST

UDFA
Before keeping a 53rd person on our roster who can only play special teams with little upside to see the field otherwise, I'm hoping we work the waiver wire instead.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
IMO, still too early to say about him, for this year. He has only been back for a week, and has a lot of catching up to do. But I agree with you, he could be someone who flies under the radar, and end up being the best of all the young safeties they have added.

Definitely anxious to see C Bryant, hopefully this week?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Definitely anxious to see C Bryant, hopefully this week?

Well, as long as we are talking about keeping the best prospects, he needs to be included in that conversation. Even if it means giving him a red shirt year similar to what they did for Barrett Jones with the injury.

Of course, that gets us back to the 5 CB and 5 Safety decision. LOL

Rambition

Rookie
What you have in Cody Davis, is a guy that is STEADY! He's not flashy, he's not "under the current" either! He's a guy that's fundamentally sound in all facets of the game. He's smart too! Those type players are ALWAYS needed.

As the preseason has started...let's keep watching, because this guy will show his worth, whether it's STs, or situations where he plays FS to give a breather...you can expect him to be where he needs to be.

No one says he's a star...but he's a guy you want because he's reliable.
kinda what i think, too.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
IMO, still too early to say about him, for this year. He has only been back for a week, and has a lot of catching up to do. But I agree with you, he could be someone who flies under the radar, and end up being the best of all the young safeties they have added.

You're right on point sir so do you think Bayer has a chance over Cunningham? I realize he'll have to keep showing up in preseason, but IMO, he's got a chance.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
You're right on point sir so do you think Bayer has a chance over Cunningham? I realize he'll have to keep showing up in preseason, but IMO, he's got a chance.
Of course Bayer has a chance. He has since day one.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
IMHO:

Gaines, Joyner and Mo Alexander are shoo ins at this point, imho. All can cover. All can tackle. All hustle. All will be solid @ special teams.

Cody Davis will make the team for the exact reasons stated by @RamWoodie (and others who he echoes). The only thing that could keep him off the team is if Bryant really flashes in one of these pre-season games, but I think he's destined for the practice squad. But of course, Davis was on the practice squad last year too, so these late round rookies and UDFAs should just keep their noses down, learn well, play hard and they'll get their chances.

I'm at 5 CB and 4 S, which is a happy place to start if for no other reason than because Joyner plays safety at a high level.
4+ Ss :McLeod, TJ McD, Mo Alexander, Davis, Joyner in a pinch
5 CBs: Jenkins, Tru Jo, Joyner, McGee, Gaines

The last guy could be either imho, but exactly as @CoachO says, the guy will have to be a willing and able special teams guy to make the 53 or have any chance at the 47. Woodard (imho) seems to have the inside track, but things can change fast.