The CB battle

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So, in all seriousness, you are willing to keep a 6th DB who does nothing to add to the team on ST, thereby sitting on the sideline every week because they have virtually zero value on gameday? or keep a 5th Safety who is on most if not all of your core ST units? And if you are gonna play the Joyner can play Safety card, then why neglect the McLeod can play the Nickel Card?

Did Roberson snub you for an autograph? :sneaky:

You really don't like him, do you? Is it strictly because of tackling?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Here's another thought.

We're all counting Joyner as just a CB. But what if he also plays some S? Kinda like Matthieu? That was post draft speculation, after all.

That bolsters the 6CB and 4S argument, doesn't it?

The same argument can be made regarding McLeod being able to l,ay the Nickel CB role, enhancing the 5 CB & 5 S argument.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Did Roberson snub you for an autograph? :sneaky:

You really don't like him, do you? Is it strictly because of tackling?

I have no horse in this race at all. I have said I think he has better than average coverage skills. What I am saying, simply, is for a 6th CB to make the team, he has to be able to play on ST. And because Roberson is so unwilling to tackle, that isn't gonna happen.

If you compare all the likely candidates beyond the first 5 CB, (Jenkins, Johnson, Joyner, Gaines & McGee). Roberson most certainly is the best cover guy. But as the 6th CB, how is that going to translate into him getting on the field? If not on ST? Heck, he is even better than McGee at this point as a cover guy. But McGee is a staple on ST, only enhancing my point.

The same thing can be said of Woodard, Reid and Jarrod Bryant. None of those guys have any presence on ST at this point, other than Reid in a distant backup role as a returner.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
At this moment, yes. I'm confident Reid and Roberson can play special teams. I think both have good upside and would like to keep the best one of the two on the roster.

Also I'm aware McLeod can play nickel in a pinch, I just like the two CBs upside much more than Daniels.
What does that upside do for this team, this year, if they never see the field? keep them both on the PS, but don't waste a roster spot on a guy who won't play ST.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
At this point I think I am more comfortable having Roberson out there taking defensive snaps than I am McGee - although I'll admit I have a small pro sample size to base that on.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
Just a guess. IMO they will keep the best 4 safeties and top 4 corners. After that they will keep the the next one or two DB's regardless of position based on talent and upside. They have flexibility in the top 8.

Couple of the guys have already cut themselves, just being strung along as camp bodies.

lockdnram21

Legend
As far as Davis he's playing like he did last preseason. If that keeps up he will be cut again

Sum1

Hall of Fame
So, in all seriousness, you are willing to keep a 6th DB who does nothing to add to the team on ST, thereby sitting on the sideline every week because they have virtually zero value on gameday? or keep a 5th Safety who is on most if not all of your core ST units? And if you are gonna play the Joyner can play Safety card, then why neglect the McLeod can play the Nickel Card?
I think a fair question in response to your question though is whether or not there is someone that is going to make the team that can play those special teams spots just as well as Daniels.

Is Daniels an elite special teams player or is he simply just able to play on special teams?

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I think a fair question in response to your question though is whether or not there is someone that is going to make the team that can play those special teams spots just as well as Daniels.

Is Daniels an elite special teams player or is he simply just able to play on special teams?

Well, at this point, he is certainly viewed as being better than the others. He is on on the 1st units on Kickoff Return, Kickoff Coverage. 2nd unit on the Punt Coverage unit. So that tells me at this point, he is regarded as one of the core players on the core units.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Depth at a vital position > ST guy. IMO

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
because he missed two tackles? bet you didn't notice the other 5 he made? Cody Davis will be on the 53 man roster. No question in my mind

I know you like him more than I do and you're right I dd not post about the tackles he did make and again just have a feeling they might keep 6 CB's.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Only if the CB is able to play on special teams that's it other than that keep Davis. IMO if one of the CB's offer more than Davis on special teams then you keep that guy if you feel he has a higher ceiling otherwise try to keep him on the PS and keep Davis.

I would like to keep a guy who can return punts to free up Austin although Austin will never give that part of the game up, but if Davis is more valuable than keep him. Just a thought from the standpoint if they like somebody better they could go with a 6/4 ratio instead of a 5/5.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Only if the CB is able to play on special teams that's it other than that keep Davis. IMO if one of the CB's offer more than Davis on special teams then you keep that guy if you feel he has a higher ceiling otherwise try to keep him on the PS and keep Davis.

Of course,,, and thats all I have been trying to say. NONE of the depth guys have shown up on any of the ST so far. And Davis isnt the 5th Safety,, that would be Daniels at this point. Davis not making this team would be a surprise to me.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Tru, Jenkins, McGee, Gaines, Joyner and...........a traded player or guy cut from a roster? Maybe a guy that Fisher or Williams is familiar with.

Does Christian Bryan still hav time to prove himself at Safety? After watching him play for OSU the last few years, I think he could definitely be a key Special Teamer and backup Safety.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
When a player goes down to injury or whatever in the middle of the season(which happens all the time) you don't want to be searching the waiver wire for CB's who:
A) Can cover
B) Can tackle
C) Who can step right into a defensive system

Special teamers can be found at the corner mini-mart if you need one in a pinch.
ST's are an important part of winning games and developing players, but i want depth at vital positions. In this league you'd better have a stable of CB's.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
Tru, Jenkins, McGee, Gaines, Joyner and...........a traded player or guy cut from a roster? Maybe a guy that Fisher or Williams is familiar with.

Does Christian Bryan still hav time to prove himself at Safety? After watching him play for OSU the last few years, I think he could definitely be a key Special Teamer and backup Safety.
IMO, still too early to say about him, for this year. He has only been back for a week, and has a lot of catching up to do. But I agree with you, he could be someone who flies under the radar, and end up being the best of all the young safeties they have added.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
When a player goes down to injury or whatever in the middle of the season(which happens all the time) you don't want to be searching the waiver wire for CB's who:
A) Can cover
B) Can tackle

Special teamers can be found at the corner mini-mart if you need one in a pinch.
ST's are an important part of winning games and developing players, but i want depth at vital positions. In this league you'd better have a stable of CB's.
I don't disagree with this, but I say these guys are perfect for the PS. They aren't likely to be stolen out from under us. And they stay in the system, and learn how to play at this level, without eating up a roster spot never to see the field.

JackDRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Jack
A) Can cover
B) Can tackle

I agree with everything. Although special teams is important, I'm not gonna cut a better player just because someone lesser of a player can play special teams. I expect the team to keep the best players. Special teams ability shouldn't become a factor in my opinion. If we lose a guy like Daniels, we get someone else to play teams. I don't want to lose out on someone with more potential. Our team is young enough to the point we should be able to just plug in someone else and be good once they acclimate to it.

CoachO

Hall of Fame
I agree with everything. Although special teams is important, I'm not gonna cut a better player just because someone lesser of a player can play special teams. I expect the team to keep the best players. Special teams ability shouldn't become a factor in my opinion. If we lose a guy like Daniels, we get someone else to play teams. I don't want to lose out on someone with more potential. Our team is young enough to the point we should be able to just plug in someone else and be good once they acclimate to it.

I guess you are missing my point. Its not that they cannot find another player to step in for someone like Daniels on ST. Its about keeping a 6th CB for the sake of keeping a 6th CB, who does NOT play on ST. That would be like keeping an extra kicker, because he is better than then next guy we might be able to get if something happens to Zuerlein. He adds NOTHING to the roster. You just don't have the luxury of keeping at the back end of the roster, who doesn't have ST value. Same argument as it pertains to Sam/Westbrook as the 9th DL.

Last edited: